PDA

View Full Version : If the WTA had a Masters Series, what would be the 9 events in it?

FaceyFacem
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:22 AM
here is what my 9 masters series leading up to the YEC would be:

Indian Wells
Miami
Charleston
Berlin
Rome
San Diego
Canada
Moscow
Zurich

i chose these because they are tier Is, and they follow the masters series format on the men's side, where there are 4 hard court events, 3 clay court events, and 2 indoors

i think it would be interesting how the wta works it if they keep pushing their system towards the atp system

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Hum I agree with your list :) Canada definitely deserves to be there though recently the level has been a lil lower due to injuries!

Marcus1979
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:26 AM
I am sure Hingis will be in Canada this year after all its a event she played every year prior to retirement

tennisjay
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:27 AM

Indian Wells
Miami
Charleston
Berlin
Rome
San Diego
Canada
Moscow
Zurich

i chose these because they are tier Is, and they follow the masters series format on the men's side, where there are 4 hard court events, 3 clay court events, and 2 indoors

i think it would be interesting how the wta works it if they keep pushing their system towards the atp system

Baby take off IW players are not touching that tournment anymore.

Barrie_Dude
I assumed that there was a masters seris for the WTA! :shrug:

pcrtennis
Beijing...

jfk
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:29 AM
The list makes sense because it's all of the Tier 1's, except for the incredibly weak Pan Pacific. They could just demote Tokyo to a Tier 2 and create a Masters Series out of the rest.

AKJH
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:30 AM
I agree with most of those except for maybe San Diego, I dont think that it is that big of an event, is it?

I feel like maybe Dubai would be a Masters Series, considering the field this year, but that is a tier II, right?

Somehow, it feels like San Diego shouldnt be a Tier I, but I guess its cuz its in the summer hardcourt season among other big events....

But u're right, the wta seems to be walking the ATP line, in tournaments.

-VSR-
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:30 AM
It wouldn't matter if they were mandatory or not. If a player does not want to go to an event then they will not. The price they will have to pay is so minimal to them.

patricio
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Tokyo
Indian Wells
Miami
Charleston
Berlin
Rome
Montreal/Toronto
San Diego
Zurich

Marcus1979
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:35 AM
what about Filderstadt (I know its Tier II but look how strong the field is annually. Same as Sydney maybe I am biased with Sydney tho :o )

FaceyFacem
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:38 AM
It wouldn't matter if they were mandatory or not. If a player does not want to go to an event then they will not. The price they will have to pay is so minimal to them.

right, but the thing with masters series is the event MUST count on your ranking, so having six or seven 0s on your rank because you feel like skipping can damage your chances to win in other events too

MH0861
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:41 AM
I say bump up one of the popular Tier II's (ie Fildy - or wherever it moved to, Dubai etc to a Masters event) and get rid of Moscow.

The other problem is that some of these events are quite bunched up - Indian Wells & Miami, San Diego & Canada, Moscow & Zurich, Berlin & Rome

fammmmedspin
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:48 AM

Indian Wells
Miami
Charleston
Berlin
Rome
San Diego
Canada
Moscow
Zurich

Illustrates why it can't happen. 9 listed here, Miami, 4 GS leaves Sydney and Eastbourne as preparatory tournaments and most players in the top 10 playing about one other tournament and the YEC. That leaves the rest of the tour devoid of top playersand audiences and equally important no one turning up in Dubai, Japan, China or India where the present and future prospects are.

chuCKnorris
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:52 PM
what about Filderstadt (I know its Tier II but look how strong the field is annually. Same as Sydney maybe I am biased with Sydney tho :o )

there's no longer Filderstadt. Now it's Stuttgart. :) But basically I agree. US have too much of it.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I think I'd fit Dubai in there somewhere. With the amount of money behind it I reckon it might be Tier 1 sooner rather than later.

Volcana
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I decided to include Tier I and Tier II tournaments.
Where tournaments were in the schedule
Trying to get all the surfaces in
Indoor and Outdoor
Where the players mostly play now

Jan Sydney................ OZ
Feb Dubai................. U.A.E
Mar Miami................. USA
Apr Charleston............ USA
May Rome.................. Italy
Jun Eastbourne............ England
Jul San Diego*
Aug Canadian Open......... Canada
Sep Beijing............... China
Oct Moscow................ Russia

* San Diego got dropped because I only needed nine tournaments, and I really didn't want three tournaments in the USA.

This way, I got three in North America, three in Europe (Moscow is east of the Urals, isn't it?), two in the Pacific, and one in Africa. Nicely representative of a world sport.

NOTE: I wasn't wild about Charleston and Miami being so close, but I needed a green clay event.

Sam L
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Tokyo Pan Pacs
Indian Wells
Miami
Charleston
Berlin
Rome
Canadian Open
Moscow
Zurich

RR-87
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:27 PM
I think it's:
Indian Wells
Miami
Charlston
Berlin
Rome
Eastrourne or Birmingham (why no Masters on grass?)
Toronto
Moscow
Zurich

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM
having 28 draws for Masters series is a big no-no
they should all be 64 draws and no byes (except Miami/IW)

Indian Wells
Miami
Charleston
Berlin-German Open
Rome-Italian Open comes as the 5th biggest event by some way after the slams.

San Diego then a week of Tier 2 before
Toronto-Canadian Open another one of the old tradidional events.

indoors should be a Tier 2 between Moscow and Zurich.

one big thing is Zurich cant accomodate a 64 draw, move it to Basel.

jfk
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I decided to include Tier I and Tier II tournaments.
Where tournaments were in the schedule
Trying to get all the surfaces in
Indoor and Outdoor
Where the players mostly play now

Jan Sydney................ OZ
Feb Dubai................. U.A.E
Mar Miami................. USA
Apr Charleston............ USA
May Rome.................. Italy
Jun Eastbourne............ England
Jul San Diego*
Aug Canadian Open......... Canada
Sep Beijing............... China
Oct Moscow................ Russia

* San Diego got dropped because I only needed nine tournaments, and I really didn't want three tournaments in the USA.

This way, I got three in North America, three in Europe (Moscow is east of the Urals, isn't it?), two in the Pacific, and one in Africa. Nicely representative of a world sport.

NOTE: I wasn't wild about Charleston and Miami being so close, but I needed a green clay event.
AFRICA??????

Dubai is not in Africa. It is the Middle East, which is in Asia. And the trend of your posts having one (and only one) bizarre error continues.

In The Zone
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Dubai.
Indian Wells.
Miami.
Berlin.
Rome.
San Diego.
Montreal/Toronto.
Stuttgart.
Zurich.

Charleston is way too close to Miami and is too early in the clay season to be a Master Series event. Tokyo, no. Because it's a Tier I does not make it special. Dubai should be moved back a week to separate it from Indian Wells and Miami. Indian Wells only has a weak field because it's not mandatory. Once mandatory, you'll see people show up. Playing every other day for a week and a half is not bad compared to a packed Tier II like Amelia Island.
This talk about San Diego being weak is ridiculous. It is even with Montreal and is the highlight event of the US Open Series.

Moscow and Zurich is a toss-up because of how the Russians have been dominating, etc.

jonny84
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Miami
Charleston
Rome
Eastbourne
San Diego
Canada
Stutguart (Filderstadt)
Moscow
Zurich

mr_burns
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:34 PM
no way without zurich as one of the indoor events...maybe drop berlin an take stuttgart

btw...small draws aren't that bad...so you have really great 1 rounds

Volcana
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:48 PM
AFRICA??????

Dubai is not in Africa. It is the Middle East, which is in Asia.Open to debate. Is the split point of the continental masses the Persian Gulf, plus the Tigris and Euphates river beds, or the Red Sea? Certainly one can NOT make the unilateral statement 'The Middle East is in Asia'. Egypt is definitely both in the Middle East, and on continental Africa. Iran, OTOH, is both in the Middle East, and definitely in continental Asia.

The definition of continents is not entirely specific. For example, geologically, there's certainly no continent called 'Europe'.

http://i.infoplease.com/images/mapmiddleeast.gif

DutchieGirl
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Baby take off IW players are not touching that tournment anymore.

You mean the sisters aren't... :p

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Dubai
Indian Wells
Miami
Charleston
Berlin
Rome
Toronto/Montreal
Moscow
Zurich

Ceze
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Open to debate. Is the split point of the continental masses the Persian Gulf, plus the Tigris and Euphates river beds, or the Red Sea? Certainly one can NOT make the unilateral statement 'The Middle East is in Asia'. Egypt is definitely both in the Middle East, and on continental Africa. Iran, OTOH, is both in the Middle East, and definitely in continental Asia.

The definition of continents is not entirely specific. For example, geologically, there's certainly no continent called 'Europe'.

http://i.infoplease.com/images/mapmiddleeast.gifmaybe but UAE is in Asia! Asia is traditionally defined as part of the landmass of Africa-Eurasia lying east of the Suez Canal, east of the Ural Mountains, and south of the Caucasus Mountains and the Caspian and Black Seas. :p

UDACHi
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Canada and San Diego are weak.

cartmancop
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Those would all be good candidates but as someone posted before, several of them seem to be losing popularity with the players. I think tennis is heading towards big things in Asia also, so maybe one of the larger events in China...

also Dubai is bigger every year...& with the $$$ it hands its players its only a matter of time b4 it is on the same level as some of the best tournaments.