PDA

View Full Version : Can Squash help my tennis...and how?

Reuchlin
Mar 5th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Hey all!
Can playing squash improve my tennis?

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 5th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Hey all!
Can playing squash improve my tennis?

Its helps my Reflexes :D :bounce:

Reuchlin
Mar 5th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Its helps my Reflexes :D :bounce:

My thoughts are that it also helps you really bend the knees :)-- and my one handed backhand in squash is such a fun shot to hit. :)
Since I put so much topspin on my forehand in tennis-- it's really hard to play squash without completely changing my grip.

switz
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:16 AM
it's pretty well known that squash is not good for ones tennis game. squash doesn't require any ball control and the way you hit the ball is entirely different.

i personally don't think it's that bad if you can seperate the way you play the two games. all i know is that squash is no good for my knees :mad:

Boss monkey
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:18 AM
their is a woman I know who plays squash and she is the best female tennis player in the province, but all she does is slice the ball in :tape:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:50 AM
It's both good and bad for your game. You're hitting the ball with an extremely western, almost to the point of being eastern grip on squash. You also swing from high to low, as opposed to low to high and tennis. Because the ball travels a lot faster in squash as well, it can do some major damage to your tennis game if you're not practicing both at the same time.

However, it does a lot for your reflexes. My volleys became a lot better because of squash. It does a lot in the way of conditioning/staming as well.

Reuchlin
Mar 6th, 2006, 02:17 AM
What if you play it like tennis?

CoryAnnAvants#1
Mar 6th, 2006, 02:37 AM
What if you play it like tennis?

That's one thing you could do, although I can guarantee your squash will be awful. Hitting a two handed backhand just isn't an option, particularly when you're trying to scoop shots out of the corners. A tennis overhanded serve is also far less effective than the squash underhanded serve.

It's almost like asking if you could play tennis with squash shots. You CAN, although it will be a very low level and you won't improve at all.

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 6th, 2006, 02:50 AM
First thing that came to mind was reflexes. But I don't think it can be bad for your tennis, but I'm not sure it will help it also. Maybe if you have a very weak sliced backhand. Could also be good to get faster on court.

Reuchlin
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:25 AM
That's one thing you could do, although I can guarantee your squash will be awful. Hitting a two handed backhand just isn't an option, particularly when you're trying to scoop shots out of the corners. A tennis overhanded serve is also far less effective than the squash underhanded serve.

It's almost like asking if you could play tennis with squash shots. You CAN, although it will be a very low level and you won't improve at all.

I'm asking because I do have access to squash courts and NOT tennis courts until April-- and I would like to get ready for the tennis season! :). I noticed that when just hitting against the wall, I could hit a mean two-hander :tape:

wateva
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:24 AM
nope. my tennis strokes are really affected after playing squash for about 2 weeks. :sad:

switz
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:15 AM
I'm asking because I do have access to squash courts and NOT tennis courts until April-- and I would like to get ready for the tennis season! :). I noticed that when just hitting against the wall, I could hit a mean two-hander :tape:

:lol: you'd be better off playing table tennis if just looking to stay in form - or better yet hit a ball against a wall ;)

mauresmofan
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Well play squash for a month and watch your fitness and reflexes skyrocket. In squash you get no room for a breather - it's tough point over and then onto the next point. Squash was voted the healthiest sport in a Forbes research poll in '05.

controlfreak
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:18 AM
In my case squash has no negative effects on my tennis technique. The two sports seem to be completely distinct in my muscle memory.

It improves my fitness and arm strength (useful for the 1h-bh) but there is a risk of overstressing your body (elbow/forearm in particular) if you play a lot of both sports.

Prizeidiot
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Squash destroys my tennis technique. Similar situation with Table Tennis. After playing with a small racket, suddenly the tennis racket feels heavy and I can't swing as well.

Yonge
Mar 6th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Last week I played tennis immediately after playing squash and I was a mess on the court! But one can easily attribute that to general fatigue after 2 1/2 hours of squash :D

honeyke
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM
i don´t play tennis,but badminton.i played tennis just a few times,but my friend who plays tennis since a long time said to me that my serve is quite good and my smash is also okay...so maybe badminton could improve your tennis. i don´t know anything about squash.

MLF
Mar 6th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Playing squash can mean you get a bit too "wristy" when playing tennis. However, I doubt anyone on this board is of high enough level to be too badly affected by playing both sports. Squash is great for keeping your footwork sharp.

Reuchlin
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:32 PM
:lol: you'd be better off playing table tennis if just looking to stay in form - or better yet hit a ball against a wall ;)

I play TT at a pretty high level, what I have found (after playing both sports in 1 day) is to play TT before "real" tennis, otherwise I am a mess. It does not seem to matter the other way :). But thanks for the imput everyone!