PDA

View Full Version : Rankings are very tight!

So Disrespectful
Mar 5th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Am I the only one who has noticed how much depth we have in the rankings? Obviously discluding the top 10, there are so many quality players between 11-25ish.

More great players than what we had 3 or 4 years ago IMO.

Schiavone
Myskina
Kuznetsova
Vaidisova
Hantuchova
Likhovtseva
Pennetta
Ivanovic
Groenefeld
Dechy
Safin
Kirlienko
Golovin

Wow! Now compare that to what we had in 2003-

Venus
Petrova
Zvonareva
Suarez
Dokic
Smashnova
Shaugnessy
Martinez
Hantuchova
Schiavone
Bovina
Serna
Farina Elia
Danilidou
Raymond

There were still quite a few quality players, but Shaugnessy, Smashnova, Serna, Raymond, Martinez and Danilidou :tape: Absolutely no way they could be top 25 at this time.

xin_hui
Mar 5th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Safin

safin plays on the womens' tour? :eek: ;)

RR-87
Mar 5th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Martinez and Smashnova played great that year. Top 25 position is always deserved position

Mana
Mar 5th, 2006, 08:52 AM
The game has moved on so much, these players couldnt keep up.

So Disrespectful
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:11 AM

:rolleyes: :lol: I could see that coming after I read my post. I didn't think it was worth editing so....

Supermonica
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Am I the only one who has noticed how much depth we have in the rankings? Obviously discluding the top 10, there are so many quality players between 11-25ish.

Schiavone
Myskina
Kuznetsova
Vaidisova
Hantuchova
Likhovtseva
Pennetta
Ivanovic
Groenefeld
Dechy
Safin
Kirlienko
Golovin

Venus
Petrova
Zvonareva
Suarez
Dokic
Smashnova
Shaugnessy
Martinez
Hantuchova
Schiavone
Bovina
Serna
Farina Elia
Danilidou
Raymond

There were still quite a few quality players, but Shaugnessy, Smashnova, Serna, Raymond, Martinez and Danilidou :tape: Absolutely no way they could be top 25 at this time.

Martinez beat Davenport in 2003.
Farina Elia beat Davenport in 2003.
Shaughnessy beat Clijsters in 2001.
Smashnova beat Clijsters in 2002.
Bovina beat Clijsters in 2004.
Dokic beat Clijsters in 2001.
Dokic beat Mauresmo in 2001.
Daniliidou beat Mauresmo in 2002.
Suarez beat Mauresmo in 2003.
Dokic beat Venus in 2000.
Shaughnessy beat Venus in 2001 and 2003.
Zvonareva beat Venus in 2003
Raymond beat Venus in 2004.
Suarez beat Serena in 2000.
Shaughnessy beat Serena in 2002.
Raymond beat Capriati in 2001.
Dokic beat Capriati in 2002.
Martinez beat Capriati in 2002.
Bovina beat Capriati in 2003.
Daniilidou beat Capriati in 2004 twice.

Erika_Angel
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:21 AM
i think youll find that those players in the top 25 in 2003 were all VERY competitive. Just as competitive as the current bunch. And this was when the Williams sisters were playing fantastic, so it's even more impressive.

eck
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Eh
Don't forget Eleni beat Ju in Wimbledon 2005. :)

So Disrespectful
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Martinez beat Davenport in 2003.
Farina Elia beat Davenport in 2003.
Shaughnessy beat Clijsters in 2001.
Smashnova beat Clijsters in 2002.
Bovina beat Clijsters in 2004.
Dokic beat Clijsters in 2001.
Dokic beat Mauresmo in 2001.
Daniliidou beat Mauresmo in 2002.
Suarez beat Mauresmo in 2003.
Dokic beat Venus in 2000.
Shaughnessy beat Venus in 2001 and 2003.
Zvonareva beat Venus in 2003
Raymond beat Venus in 2004.
Suarez beat Serena in 2000.
Shaughnessy beat Serena in 2002.
Raymond beat Capriati in 2001.
Dokic beat Capriati in 2002.
Martinez beat Capriati in 2002.
Bovina beat Capriati in 2003.
Daniilidou beat Capriati in 2004 twice.

Wow! Each player has one or two notable scalps.

Every top player has an off match once in a while, and on most of your occasions listed, this was the case. Davenport was still recovering from surgery in 2003 and Capriati was below her best in 2004. Venus was in a slump when she lost to Zvonareva, Clijsters wasn't the player she is today back in 2001 against Elia and Shaugnessy and Capriati was still on the comeback trail in 2001.... etc

RR-87
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Wow! Each player has one or two notable scalps.

Every top player has an off match once in a while, and on most of your occasions listed, this was the case. Davenport was still recovering from surgery in 2003 and Capriati was below her best in 2004. Venus was in a slump when she lost to Zvonareva, Clijsters wasn't the player she is today back in 2001 against Elia and Shaugnessy and Capriati was still on the comeback trail in 2001.... etc

Every loss of top players can be explained like that :p
What matches do you want us to remember then?

So Disrespectful
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Well, just go through those scalps and you'll see that none of them are likely to happen. That indicates to me that there was probably an underlying reason for them losing. Then when I think about it, for most I can see a clear and logical explanation- as opposed to the ones that were actually legitimate wins (eg. Dokic over Venus in 2000).

Lodvg
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:54 AM

I do not agree with you :rolleyes: Martinez is not a 'quality player' according to you? :o If she is now 20 years old, with her tennis, the question will be: could some top 25 of nowadays def. her? I am not so sure...

Slumpsova
Mar 5th, 2006, 10:00 AM
comparing to 2003, a lot of teenagers take control the tour.

So Disrespectful
Mar 5th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Sorry, I actually quite like Conchita. Her game is very consistent, and it was top notch back in the 90's, but I wouldnt' say she could mix it with the top 20 right now, even at the top of her game. The game has changed and players like her have phased out now.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Lodvg
Mar 5th, 2006, 10:03 AM
That's just my opinion anyway.

:) and i respect it!

crazillo
Mar 5th, 2006, 10:06 AM
The players of 2003 have as much quality as the players of today have. They deserved their spor as much as the players do now.

So Disrespectful
Mar 5th, 2006, 10:12 AM
:) and i respect it!

:D Great. That's really mature of you and most people aren't that decent :yeah:

fammmmedspin
Mar 5th, 2006, 10:54 PM
The 11- 30 players have got younger and arguably the talent and upset potential has gone up. The interesting thing though is that the only ones who made it into the top 10 recently are Maria and Patty and Mary who made it back. Its interesting how no one can put together a big run from the top 20 to the top 10 - they are all inconsistent whether you look at Francesca, Nastya, Nicole, Dani, Dinara, Flavia, ALG or Tati.

bellascarlett
Mar 5th, 2006, 11:24 PM

:lol:

Just great Marat! I would have at least expected you to blow every single WTA player off the court. :ras:

Reuchlin
Mar 5th, 2006, 11:31 PM

Schiavone
Myskina
Kuznetsova
Vaidisova
Hantuchova
Likhovtseva
Pennetta
Ivanovic
Groenefeld
Dechy
Safin
Kirlienko
Golovin

Venus
Petrova
Zvonareva
Suarez
Dokic
Smashnova
Shaugnessy
Martinez
Hantuchova
Schiavone
Bovina
Serna
Farina Elia
Danilidou
Raymond

Honestly, the quality of players has not changed all that much
Everyone of these girls is very talented when on, and when it somes to Eleni etc., they are just having physical and psychological issue which make them SEEM less capable...but the talent is there.

TeaMMashA
Mar 5th, 2006, 11:53 PM
The Womens game is sos competitive compared to the mens i believe! this is why i prefer it so much its very unpredictable!

Andrew..
Mar 6th, 2006, 01:29 AM
The Womens game is sos competitive compared to the mens i believe! this is why i prefer it so much its very unpredictable!
Clearly you don't watch men's tennis. If you just watched it this past week, you'd see how competitive it is.

TeaMMashA
Mar 6th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Clearly you don't watch men's tennis. If you just watched it this past week, you'd see how competitive it is.

Correct me if im wrong but i thought i saw the two dominant players from last year and the champions race 1st and 2nd players of 2005 and also the 1st and 2nd ranked players play in a final?