PDA

View Full Version : Emma Laine.

seles, davenport
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:58 AM
I saw her match against Llagostera Vives, and was impressed by how she thrashed her 6-1, 6-1. Vives was the player the took a set of Hingis at Gold Coast, so naturally I assumed that she would trouble Hingis, but was surprised how she lost by the same score she beat Vives by. Anyway, it's good to see she's in the final at Las Vegas, good to see another Viking doing well.

iPatty
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:00 AM
:yawn: I hate Emma Laine.

MH0861
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:01 AM
I saw her match against Llagostera Vives, and was impressed by how she thrashed her 6-1, 6-1. Vives was the player the took a set of Hingis at Gold Coast, so naturally I assumed that she would trouble Hingis, but was surprised how she lost by the same score she beat Vives by. Anyway, it's good to see she's in the final at Las Vegas, good to see another Viking doing well.

I'm sure Emma is just delighted to have your respect, but this should go in the Las Vegas thread!

Randriantastic!
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:02 AM
I'm sure Emma is just delighted to have your respect, but this should go in the Las Vegas thread!

Oh, didn't you know, it's not possible for our friend to post in a thread he/she didn't start. But thank you for your helpful suggestion anyway. :)

RJWCapriati
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:03 AM
How many threads are you going to start?

georgekuo1017
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:08 AM
i haven't seen play。。

Hachiko
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Emma is a good player. Early on against Hingis, she was the aggressor and I was suprised to see her hitting so well from all corners of the court throughout the match. I think she's got a very good future ahead of her.

switz
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:19 AM
:yawn: I hate Emma Laine.

:lol: i wonder why. Something she did in New York by any chance?

Prizeidiot
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:49 AM
:lol: i wonder why. Something she did in New York by any chance?
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that? What happened in New York with Laine?

Mana
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:50 AM
All I know about her is that she beat Leanne last year in the Qualies at her home WTA Tour tourney 6-3 7-5. And also her last name is pronounced weird from how its spelt.

UDACHi
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that? What happened in New York with Laine?

Laine thrashed Peng. :nerner:

UDACHi
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:53 AM
All I know about her is that she beat Leanne last year in the Qualies at her home WTA Tour tourney 6-3 7-5. And also her last name is pronounced weird from how its spelt.

Line-Uh. Right?

Prizeidiot
Mar 5th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Line-Uh. Right?
Yep.

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 5th, 2006, 05:05 AM
I really like Emma. She played a brilliant match against Bartoli here, incredible high level!

j_dementieva27
Mar 5th, 2006, 05:08 AM
she outplayed peng shuai at the US Open... i saw the third set live there and she was just not making any errors at all, getting every ball back, and hitting winners too

she just outplayed a player that was on a bit of a hot streak

ill post my pictures and video link to when i started a thread about my us open 2005

j_dementieva27
Mar 5th, 2006, 05:10 AM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=188836

posts #35 and for pictures

and #49 #and 60 for videos (hand shot)

DutchieGirl
Mar 5th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Oh, didn't you know, it's not possible for our friend to post in a thread he/she didn't start. But thank you for your helpful suggestion anyway. :)

:haha: :p

seles, davenport
Mar 5th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Yeah, apparently a lot of Swedish names are weird in how they're spelt as to how they're spelt

Zauber
Mar 5th, 2006, 07:19 AM
consider a different language and a different perspective and the weirness might be on the other side

DutchieGirl
Mar 5th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Yeah, apparently a lot of Swedish names are weird in how they're spelt as to how they're spelt

weird in how they are spelt as to how they are spelt...hmm I assume you mean as to how they are SAID... and in that language, the name wouldn't necessarily be weird. Sure it might be "weird" to an English speaker, but then English names are probably "weird" to Finnish speakers...

vutt
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Well, I'm pretty sure it has actually Finnish origin.
Laine means wave btw.

seles, davenport
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Well, I'm pretty sure it has actually Finnish origin.
Laine means wave btw.

She was born in Sweden though, wasn't she?

:inlove:
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:20 AM
You shouldn't assume that she would trouble Hingis, as Martina was playing a lot better than in Gold Coast. The player cycle thing is very confusing and unpredictable. :confused:

BTW, please don't have a go at seles, davenport, for this thread. I mean, it wasn't a completely useless topic, was it? Although, I definitely agree he/she needs to not make so many posts... ;)

-sugi-
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:23 AM
I like Emma :) It is nice to see her in the final. I think She is a good player

leopard
Mar 5th, 2006, 10:44 AM
She was born in Sweden though, wasn't she?

Her father was a top Finnish ice hockey player who at some point of his career played as a professional in the Swedish ice hockey league, Elitserien. Yes, it is very possible that Emma and her sister were born in Sweden (too lazy to check it!).

Pronunciation:
Lain - exactly as the word line"
the last letter e - as the "e" is pronounced in the work "envy"

seles, davenport
Mar 5th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Her father was a top Finnish ice hockey player who at some point of his career played as a professional in the Swedish ice hockey league, Elitserien. Yes, it is very possible that Emma and her sister were born in Sweden (too lazy to check it!).

Pronunciation:
Lain - exactly as the word line"
the last letter e - as the "e" is pronounced in the work "envy"

Oh, okay. My mistake, so she is not a Viking.

stenen
Mar 5th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Emma's sister Essi was born in Lahti Finland. Soon after her birth Erkki (Eki) left Finland to play for Färjestad in Karlstad, Sweden. During these years in Karlstad, Emma was born. Few years later Eki returned back to his hometown Lahti, Finland and is still living there by the beautiful lake of Vesijärvi.

leopard
Mar 6th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Emma's sister Essi was born in Lahti Finland. Soon after her birth Erkki (Eki) left Finland to play for Färjestad in Karlstad, Sweden. During these years in Karlstad, Emma was born. Few years later Eki returned back to his hometown Lahti, Finland and is still living there by the beautiful lake of Vesijärvi.

Cool! Thanks for clearing it up! :wavey: