PDA

View Full Version : If Amelie had a flatter forehand- my guess is she would have 6 slams now

Reuchlin
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:21 AM
you heard it here first. She is a perfect example of a player that never learned to hit like Davenport, Serena, Sharapova.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:22 AM
you may have a point

hablo
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:25 AM
I like Momo's game the way it is... sure she could flatten her forehand a little more though (from time to time)!

But I like her game cause she has so much variety and it is quite unlike the other top players IMO :)

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:43 AM
I disagree because I dont consider hitting flatter to necessarily mean being more agressive.
You can hit a flatter shot and it can still not be the right high percentage move when it comes to ending the rally.
Its about being aggressive with whatever kind of game you have and to go for your shots.
Mauresmo has been accused of not doing so for most of her career. The grass of Wimbledon makes her do so but still she probably did not do enough until the Australian Open this year.

lolo21
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:46 AM
.If Amelie had a flatter forehand- my guess is she would have 6 slams now

i'm not far to agree with you! ;)

the problem i think is her forehand technic in itself: each time she hits a forehand ,not only you have the feeling it won t be flat and generally dangerous for the opponent but more interestingly , you also have the impression she will injure her wrist!

i love Amelie's game but i have to say that if i were a tennis coach,i wouldn t advise the younger players to copy her forehand technique......sorry Amelie :devil:

StarrJones
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:48 AM
I dont nessesarily agree. I mean Amelie and her game are unique i that she plays her balls so deffrently from alot of the girls even before you put the whole "flat forhand" thing into play. I think her topspin shots are good, but she could USE a flatter forhand for sure. She has a problem finishing some points off at the baseline i feel, especially against the other big babes.

But i dont think her forhand has prevented her from winning any slams, her mental game has done that.

lolo21
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:57 AM
But i dont think her forhand has prevented her from winning any slams, her mental game has done that.

i would say it was 50 % because of her mental ,30% because of her forehand and 20% because of other things(luck,simply facing better players,etc...).........i just couldn t remember how many times her forehand has let her down in big games......then you could also say it was due to her mental but i'm not that sure......

StarrJones
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:05 AM
i would say it was 50 % because of her mental ,30% because of her forehand and 20% because of other things(luck,facing better players,etc...).........i just couldn t remember how many times her forehand has let her down in big games......then you could also say it was due to her mental but i'm not that sure......

I think clearly its a mat5ter of a combination of things. Every player, no matter how talented they are, unless maybe your Serena Williams...theres a slight possibility you could end up with a slamless career....i mean, look at Jennifer Capriati! TONES OF TALENT, great game, powerfull, big, strong and a great record, BUT she could have been one of those "so talented but no slam" players....kim clijsters too....

At the end of the day, Amelie was at the right place at the right time, and she won the slam....great for her she 100% deserved it...but, like i said, its a factor of things, and she simply got lucky, and every slam player, to a certain degree have been "lucky" (it aint a ball park walk to win these things!)

Starr.

Hingie
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:27 AM
you heard it here first. She is a perfect example of a player that never learned to hit like Davenport, Serena, Sharapova.

Are you serious???

There are hundreds of girls who hit really flat forehands - that is not the answer to anyone's problem! The reason Serena and Lindsay and Mary are so successful with it is because they have inpeccable timing, upper body strength and the other variables that help them understand the swing speed required etc.

Mauresmo has a lot of work on her backhand with the spin, it's only natural that her forehand generates a lot of topspin also. I just think she needs to be more confident with it at time and maybe follow some of her good shots to net to finish off points.

switz
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:22 AM
she it's that the fact that it's not flat that is problem because ultimately that would just lead to more errors - it's that it is not really technically sound shot and when she gets tight she just brushes the ball the much that it lands incredibly short. It's a very nice shot when she plays freely though but nowhere nearly as natural as her backhand.

StarrJones
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:28 AM
A really incredible head pro at one of my tennis clubs pointed out to me that he saw Amelie play against one of the Russians (i think Petrova) anjd he said that she hit the ball like a "14 year old public court boy tennis player"....i kid you not, he said her shots were totally weak and un pro like....

whatever was the case, he got the sence that her forhand was only being brushed, obviously shes NOT a "14 year old public court player" and it WAS an offensive remark...but for a girl her physical size, she should muscle that shot more.

Reuchlin
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Are you serious???

There are hundreds of girls who hit really flat forehands - that is not the answer to anyone's problem! The reason Serena and Lindsay and Mary are so successful with it is because they have inpeccable timing, upper body strength and the other variables that help them understand the swing speed required etc.

Mauresmo has a lot of work on her backhand with the spin, it's only natural that her forehand generates a lot of topspin also. I just think she needs to be more confident with it at time and maybe follow some of her good shots to net to finish off points.
combine Amelie's atheltic ability with flat hitting and you've got a Serena, Venus, Clijsters.

esquímaux
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I agree, the forehand technique could use a makeover, but I like it anyway :) It's a Momo trademark.

leeber
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Think would be a good add on though, for variety sake :)

Shenay La Soul
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I don't agree. Mauresmo's backhand is versatile, which IMO, can't be said for all backhands on the WTA tour. The obstacle in winning her first Slam has been her mental fragility. I'm glad she finally got on board and looks poised (based on her recent results) to win maybe a second Slam this year. :)

améliemomo
Mar 7th, 2006, 03:37 PM
it was more a lack of serenity who prevented her to fulfill all her potential, a mental serenity but also a physique serenity because she had so many injuries, her game is not to overpower players with a flat forehand like davenport or pierce.Her game is based on variety, spin and physical abilities.I think she improved quite well her forehand,she won the YEC with it and since then she knows that she can rely on it even if it is not perfect.I like amélie the way she plays, she is unique and now that she IS "free" because of her slam ,she can expect to win another one even with her actual forehand,she has so many weapons in her bag. :angel:

hablo
Mar 7th, 2006, 03:41 PM
it was more a lack of serenity who prevented her to fulfill all her potential, a mental serenity but also a physique serenity because she had so many injuries, her game is not to overpower players with a flat forehand like davenport or pierce.Her game is based on variety, spin and physical abilities.I think she improved quite well her forehand,she won the YEC with it and since then she knows that she can rely on it even if it is not perfect.I like amélie the way she plays, she is unique and now that she IS "free" because of her slam ,she can expect to win another one even with her actual forehand,she has so many weapons in her bag. :angel:
great post :hearts:

Davenselesport
Mar 7th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Thats true for sure... her forehand often times lands so short that the spin does nothing for it. Because of her great placement, if she learned to flatten it out she would be very consistent and hit a lot of winners.

Reuchlin
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Good point-- a slam win always requres mental toughness. I think that with flatter shots she would have gotten that sooner.

améliemomo
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Good point-- a slam win always requres mental toughness. I think that with flatter shots she would have gotten that sooner.

well, I think its all about her serenity.Before the YEC,she didnt believe 100% on her tennis,if she could beat all top players,day after day.With amélie it was all about her and what she felt.She used before a slam to put much pressure on her shoulders and force her tennis against top players.She couldnt win a slam in that conditions.She needed to fall very low by many disappointment:US Open quarter against pierce, Fed cup loosing at home town,loosing against schiavone and srebotnik in awful matchs from her,she faced so many disappointments that it could just come better for her,then she continued to fight and it paid on the YEC.She was different since her first match against kim clijsters,just a "new amélie".Like nothing can "touch" her.She just enjoy playing without thinking too much like she used too,she knows her strengh,her weak and try to get the better of her qualities.I think she find the good balance between a defensive,physical and complet game that suits her.Thank God. :)

Well about the fact that she could have won more slams,I think that's true but at this era she didnt find herself,she was still looking for "the real amélie" ,it took some times but as we can say in french"mieux vaut tard que jamais" wich is (try to translate it) " late is better than never" :)

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 7th, 2006, 05:24 PM
i would agree with that, i don't know about six, but possibly 3-4.

guyinsf
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:35 AM
I don't mind that her forehand isn't so flat, but I think that it could be more aggressive, it lacks the power that players like Pierce or Davenport has. Mauresmo has won only one slam because she doesn't have one obvious weapon that some of the top 10 players possess. Time can only tell how many more she'll win, which I don't think too many, but she will always be a big threat to any player in any tournament.