PDA

View Full Version : The Aussie Open Woman's Final 2006: New perspectives

Reuchlin
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Amelie has recieved much warm feelings from fans/journalists and other players after winning her first Grand Slam.

While I don't doubt for a second that she did not deserve the win, I wonder what the reaction would have been had the final had the same result with different players. In all honesty Myskina, Kuznetsova, and Sharapova get a lot more skepticism when it comes to their wins. And given how mentally fragile Amelie was up to that point I was surprised at the warm reception her win got.

Would the reaction have remained the same if the result was as follows?

1.Justine def. Amelie 6-1 2-0 (ret.)
2. Maria def. Serena 6-1 2-0 (ret.)
3. Justine def. Kim 6-1 2-0 (ret.)
4. Venus def Serena 6-1 2-0 (ret.)
5. Maria def. Martina 6-1 2-0 (ret.)
6. Camille Pin def. Venus 6-1 2-0 (ret.)

SvetaPleaseWin.
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Amelie has recieved much warm feelings from fans/journalists and other players after winning her first Grand Slam.

While I don't doubt for a second that she did not deserve the win, I wonder what the reaction would have been had the final had the same result with different players. In all honesty Myskina, Kuznetsova, and Sharapova get a lot more skepticism when it comes to their wins. And given how mentally fragile Amelie was up to that point I was surprised at the warm reception her win got.

Would the reaction have remained the same if the result was as follows?

1.Justine def. Amelie 6-1 2-0 (ret.)
2. Maria def. Serena 6-1 2-0 (ret.)
3. Justine def. Kim 6-1 2-0 (ret.)
4. Venus def Serena 6-1 2-0 (ret.)
5. Maria def. Martina 6-1 2-0 (ret.)
6. Camille Pin def. Venus 6-1 2-0 (ret.)

this is the stuff nightmares are made of

hablo
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:27 AM
already two threads on Momo from you ! :tape:
you must be an undercover fan :spit:

junlee_vee
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:39 AM
How pointless.....

who could possibly care?

Marshmallow
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:50 AM
We'll never know.

I mean, if you look soley at the final, Justine retired under suspicious circumstances! If it was Myskina, Kusnetsova, Maria or Camilie Pin.. and they were playing great tennis, and Justine was losing and just retired... i whole heartedly believe the reaction would be the same.

The controversy of the final was the mysterious retirement!

TF Chipmunk
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:50 AM
I can't tell you how other people would react to others winning 6-1 2-0 (ret.), but I can tell you that if Justine won the Australian Open by that scoreline, people would never stop talking about how she really sucks on Hardcourts and she is not dominant at all and it was a fluke win ladadadaada :rolleyes:

Anyway, why does this matter? Amelie won, she's playing really well right now, and at least the majority of us has gotten over their hatred for Justine from the AO final :rolleyes:

Reuchlin
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:10 AM
My reason for starting the post is simple: It has become clear to me that players like Myskina, Sveta and Sharapova get their slam wins called "flukes" while Amelie's win is praised as "deserved" and "earned" when it was the most suspect. Justine won slams when Serena/Venus was hurt/injured and everyone was crying "astrix," Amelie only has to put away 3 match points in 7 matches and there is no such talk.

pineapple
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:15 AM
:bounce: Amélie won! :bounce:

Deal with it!:baby:

Reuchlin
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:17 AM
:bounce: Amélie won! :bounce:

Deal with it!:baby:

I don't think I am disputing that-- what I am disputing is the REACTION from tennis journalists and fans.

Reuchlin
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Ya'll know it's true :).

Reuchlin
Mar 5th, 2006, 08:25 PM
My reason for starting the post is simple: It has become clear to me that players like Myskina, Sveta and Sharapova get their slam wins called "flukes" while Amelie's win is praised as "deserved" and "earned" when it was the most suspect. Justine won slams when Serena/Venus was hurt/injured and everyone was crying "astrix," Amelie only has to put away 3 match points in 7 matches and there is no such talk.

:worship:

Babolatpro880
Mar 5th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Did you just praise your own post? Because that would be about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

And the reason the reception was so much better for Amelie was because she's sort of a veteran (I think she's 26), and had come close to winning slams before but couldn't pull through. Sharapova and Kuznetsova were both teenagers when they won, and Myskina was rather young as well.

:inlove:
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Did you just praise your own post? Because that would be about the dumbest thing I've ever seen

LMAO I was thinking the same thing! :lol: For some reason tennisfan1984 has a sig on some of his posts and not on others, and he praises his/her own posts... :confused: Maybe cos no-one else is doing it for him/her...

Mother_Marjorie
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Amelie won, she's playing really well right now, and at least the majority of us has gotten over their hatred for Justine from the AO final :rolleyes:

I think Amelie and Justine are the hottest at the moment.

That's great for Justine considering she has wrongfully been pegged as only a "clay-courter", when in fact, she plays great on hardcourts as well (former US and AO singles Champion).

The reaction to the AO final obviously hasn't affected Justine, as she recently won Dubai. Because innately, Justine knows the truth....and its not the negative crap spread by the biased media and a few haters in here.

Justine is having a great year, and I'm sure she is looking forward to the clay season.

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:57 PM
How pointless.....

who could possibly care?

no shit:worship:

saint
Mar 5th, 2006, 10:13 PM
This is just semantics, it's irrelevant now.

Reuchlin
Mar 5th, 2006, 11:19 PM
How pointless.....

who could possibly care?

Ya, cause Wtaworld is always so full of thoughtful and meaningful threads. Some recent examples of threads that have changed my persepective on tennis in particular and the human condition in general include:

"bye bye everybody! nouf is dead!"
"Players that you rarely get "Come On", from"
Hot Girl for the Day
Where is the creep?
I'm going to London this weekend!
"Woman enters exhibit, elephant smacks her" :tape: :tape: