PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone notice Amélies Jump Backhand?

mauresmofan
Mar 4th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I know she lost today but I just love that shot she was using. If anyone saw the match today they would have noticed how many times she was using that shot. It's a really impressive athletic shot and I can't recall any other woman using it ever. Anybody got any pics?

Jenny.C.Fan
Mar 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM
she has used this before only occassionaly though, i do agree though it looks superb when she pulls it off

timafi
Mar 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I know she lost today but I just love that shot she was using. If anyone saw the match today they would have noticed how many times she was using that shot. It's a really impressive athletic shot and I can't recall any other woman using it ever. Anybody got any pics?
or a clip?

anlavalle
Mar 4th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Is the same she used yesterday? If is it is really superb

mauresmofan
Mar 4th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Is the same she used yesterday? If is it is really superb

Yes but I thought it was even more spectacular in todays match she was jumping so high off the ground and whipping the racket head through at the same time. ULTRA-CO-ORDINATED!:worship:

RJWCapriati
Mar 4th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Didn't see the match :sad:

prowler
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:12 PM
There was one shot was a kind of aerial - she jumped up and moved about 9 feet along...was awesome! Like she was flying...only thing was...she lost the point:((((

Strangelove
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:14 PM
There was one shot was a kind of aerial - she jumped up and moved about 9 feet along...was awesome! Like she was flying...only thing was...she lost the point:((((So it needs a little perfecting...it was awesome to see a woman do that for the first time. And single-handed at that.

tennisboi
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Ameile is so skillful she can pull any shot off :worship:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:48 AM
she does it quite a lot, it looks great when she pulls it off
but when she doesnt she looks quite stupid

Reuchlin
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Unless you're name's Amanda Coatzer I don't see why you would need to jump hitting a backhand? This shot of Amelie's reminds me of Safin's jump two-hander. All it does is add one more place where something can go wrong/break down.

Bumsby
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:09 AM
I agree that it's very beautiful to watch (as pretty much anything else Amélie's Godlike self produces :p :angel: :hehehe: ) but I share some of the perplexities of you here, because while it adds an extra dimension of potential failure, I'm not sure it increases shot effectiveness.

In brief, the shot is more beautiful but maybe more difficult and perhaps not more effective.

Marshmallow
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Ameile is so skillful she can pull any shot off :worship:

Truer words have never been spoken.

Amelie has just the most amazing game. Adds a bit of Magic.... it is always great to watch her at her best.

Keep going Amelie.... win many more titles this year. :bowdown:

tennisrox
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:30 AM
I've seen her play it before. I don't know how she developed it, but its great to watch. :yeah:

I prefer watching her jump-backhand to Safin's. One-hander over two-hander anyday.

esquímaux
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:59 PM
There was one shot was a kind of aerial - she jumped up and moved about 9 feet along...was awesome! Like she was flying...only thing was...she lost the point:((((I was :hearts: at your post until *DEAD* at the last sentence!!! :haha:

suzie
Mar 7th, 2006, 01:42 PM
The jumping backhand is quite amazing and equally failable! I'd say she lost 90% of the points I've watched her doing it!! :lol: I believe she started hitting it more often at the US Open last year as a way to increase power in high bounced balls. I don't really see the relevance of that movement for her one-handed backhand (which is enormously rich in variety) compared to two-handed backhands like Safin's or Grosjean's (IMO he hits this shot like no one!).

Here's flying Amélie losing the point (thanks to Stenen for the link): ;)

http://sport.france2.fr/stade2/index-fr.php?date=2006/03/5&id_article=268

hablo
Mar 7th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I like it :drool:

jochem
Mar 7th, 2006, 02:32 PM
I believe Amelie is doing this shot now she is very confident with her game... must have to do with the new found confidence because it is a risky shot... love it though!!

mauresmofan
Mar 7th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah it is a real showboating shot - I think it's great for the womens game because it looks spectacular when she gets it right. You can hear the ooohs and aaaahs from the audience when she hits it perfectly!

~Carsten~
Mar 7th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I looked saturday the Match against Anna- Lena in New Haven. And there she did it already.
It looks interesting with a one handed backhand! :)

spudrsca
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I don't find it beautiful. And it's not very efficient, she doesn't have more power by doing this, it's the opposite and you have also less control by doing it.

LefandePatty
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:58 AM
That's a nice shot ... for a man :tape:

greenfunkTHREE.
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:44 AM
i saw it! was a nice backhand but she left the other side of the court wide open!

faste5683
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Yes, it's a beautiful shot and extremely hard to pull off. I've goofed around with the jump one-hander in practice but had to retire the shot due to the abusive laughter coming from the surrounding practice courts. Amelie looks so...graceful :worship:

:wavey:

Maryamator
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:25 PM
its amazing i love it! kinda like marat safin in the ATP

vettipooh
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I saw it yesterday for the first time....Johnoo uploaded it on megaupload. I was like..'let me rewind! did i just see what I thought I saw'!!? It was quite interesting to see. Unfortunately, she lost the point, but still it was something stylish and new in women's tennis! Let's hope she perfects it! :yeah:

sapir1434
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:50 PM
It's just amazing :D :hearts:

mauresmofan
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:51 PM
She hit a brilliant one against Petrova in the middle of a rally (I think it was at 5-5 in the second set 15-30) and ended up winning the point a few shots later with a brilliant backhand down the line. Definately a work in progress but hey she's trying something new and different so good luck to her.