PDA

View Full Version : Mauresmo's comments about world no.1 ranking

Martina2
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I just saw this article and thought i'd post it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4774502.stm

I thought the way mauresmo talks about the world no, 1 ranking is kinda silly...

"Kim is not playing for a couple of weeks so I'll be the world number one soon anyway,"she said." This is not a hate thread against Mauresmo, I just think this comment sounds slightly misguided. I mean she's happy that she can regain the world no.1 by other people not competing and being injured.

I dont think its a healthy attitude to try and grab everything you can by not even having to win and beat the best players. I know other people have also risne to no.1 by others not playing but I know some have said how they would have liked to get to that ranking by winning a title or beating a major rival, rather than regaining it this way.

Anyway, feel better now I have said that, lol. its not meant to offend, just an opinion cos i think Mauresmo has been the best player this season!

Emiel Goelen
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I don't think she's happy that Kim can't play because of an injury. I think what she means is that the reporters make too much of her not becoming #1 this week, since she'll become #1 next week.

And besides, I don't agree that she will be #1 BECAUSE Kim is injured. Even if Kim would compete in IW, Amelie would still have a great chance to become #1. After all, she is the player who won the last slam and the last Masters, so it's not that weird that she's becoming #1 soon.

Martina2
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I don't think she's happy that Kim can't play because of an injury. I think what she means is that the reporters make too much of her not becoming #1 this week, since she'll become #1 next week.

Ok, but that quote makes it sound as if she doesnt care about loosing the final which even if not true takes something away from Petrova's title.

njnetswill
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I think it simply translates to "I can wait another week"

No need to fuss your feathers. :p :cool:

Jenny.C.Fan
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:12 PM
your making something out of nothing , its so lame

TomTennis
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:16 PM
i dunno what it is, please dont see this as a negative post or an offending post becuase it isnt, i just cant put my finger on it.

I just dont see her as the the "woman to beat" and someone that younger players will want to play. If you asked an unranked player who they would rather play on the Main court at a slam, i think there would be about 5 or 6 names mentioned before they got to Mauresmo.

I think for the game they need somone more 'famous' (which i hate to say about Momo) as the top player. Or, if not, just make sure that everyone else is healthy and competing, which as it stands now just isnt happening.

With the likes of Davenport, Clijsters, Henin, Venus, Serena, Hingis, Pierce, Sharapova in the game, it just seems weird to me that she is top dog. Does anyone else agree? Or am i just sounding like a complete twat? :lol:

timafi
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:16 PM
martina again you want to forget that Mauresmo's first language is not english and you know damn well the press is good at being spin masters
and had kim played if she was healthy how the hell would you know she wouldn't have lost nostradadumbass :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
why bother your name says it all :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

timafi
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:18 PM
i dunno what it is, please dont see this as a negative post or an offending post becuase it isnt, i just cant put my finger on it.

I just dont see her as the the "woman to beat" and someone that younger players will want to play. If you asked an unranked player who they would rather play on the Main court at a slam, i think there would be about 5 or 6 names mentioned before they got to Mauresmo.

I think for the game they need somone more 'famous' (which i hate to say about Momo) as the top player. Or, if not, just make sure that everyone else is healthy and competing, which as it stands now just isnt happening.

With the likes of Davenport, Clijsters, Henin, Venus, Serena, Hingis, Pierce, Sharapova in the game, it just seems weird to me that she is top dog. Does anyone else agree? Or am i just sounding like a complete twat? :lol:
yes you are :lol: :lol:

Martina2
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:18 PM

err actually i was posting my opinion....it may be nothing but im allowed to post thanks. Get a grip if your not gonna say anything more constructive than "its so lame".

I said it was NOT a hate thread. U obviously didnt read it.

TomTennis
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:21 PM
yes you are :lol: :lol:

maybe i just think that because i have my favs and Momo isnt one of them :confused: Or maybe you just answered like that because you are French :lol: :lol:

Emiel Goelen
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Ok, but that quote makes it sound as if she doesnt care about loosing the final which even if not true takes something away from Petrova's title.

That's not true. She says she doesn't mind waiting another week to become #1. She says NOT that losing this final doesn't matter to her. Two different things.

Martina2
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:28 PM
martina again you want to forget that Mauresmo's first language is not english and you know damn well the press is good at being spin masters
and had kim played if she was healthy how the hell would you know she wouldn't have lost nostradadumbass :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
why bother your name says it all :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My name says it all????? Your nationality does thanks. I didnt actually say that Kim would be no1 if she played so get your facts straight. :(

Martina2
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:29 PM
That's not true. She says she doesn't mind waiting another week to become #1. She says NOT that losing this final doesn't matter to her. Two different things.

Well i dont think that most players (or certainly the greats) would not mind loosing a final in any cicumstances.

timafi
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:30 PM
maybe i just think that because i have my favs and Momo isnt one of them :confused: Or maybe you just answered like that because you are French :lol: :lol:
i don't care who your faves are mate :drink: :drink:

Jenny.C.Fan
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:31 PM
where does it say that she was happy to lose the final??

anlavalle
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I´m so boring of this thread, she didn´t mean what you are trying to say

Jenny.C.Fan
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I´m so boring of this thread, she didn´t mean what you are trying to say

exactly :clap2:

RJWCapriati
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:56 PM

agreed :yeah:

Justine Fan
Mar 4th, 2006, 09:18 PM

I know exactly what you mean but the reason why you feel like that is because Amelie does not cause or bring up any controversy which you read in the media, internet, papers etc. The other players you talk about are always in the media for one thing or another and Amelie is not, which means that she doesn't stand out and that's why you feel like you do.

Personally I feel she is worthy of number 1 and she is great for tennis, but only people who are interested in tennis and not media tennis will think that! When/if say Justine, Venus, Serena, Davenport, Clijsters etc make it to no. 1, it will be more powerful because they are powerful personalities.

A number 1 is a number 1, no matter who they are and what their personality is like. You have to win a certain amount of tournaments to get there, so whomever has done that is worthy in my opinion!

suzie
Mar 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Did you happen to actually see the match? 'cause Amélie's face in the end was not of someone who didn't give a damn about losing, plus she praised Nadia's for the great match she'd played. Maybe you could look for more than one quote from Amélie to build your opinion. ;)

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=At_eX_bw386np55VwmxGkxo4v7YF?slug=ap-doha&prov=ap&type=lgns

hablo
Mar 4th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I know exactly what you mean but the reason why you feel like that is because Amelie does not cause or bring up any controversy which you read in the media, internet, papers etc. The other players you talk about are always in the media for one thing or another and Amelie is not, which means that she doesn't stand out and that's why you feel like you do.

Personally I feel she is worthy of number 1 and she is great for tennis, but only people who are interested in tennis and not media tennis will think that! When/if say Justine, Venus, Serena, Davenport, Clijsters etc make it to no. 1, it will be more powerful because they are powerful personalities.

A number 1 is a number 1, no matter who they are and what their personality is like. You have to win a certain amount of tournaments to get there, so whomever has done that is worthy in my opinion!
I am pleasantly surprised by this post.

smiler
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:12 PM

Great post mate :worship:

Ceze
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:12 PM

A number 1 is a number 1, no matter who they are and what their personality is like. You have to win a certain amount of tournaments to get there, so whomever has done that is worthy in my opinion!great post :worship:

Ceze
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Great post mate :worship::lol: we post the same at the same time :yeah:

Ceze
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I´m so boring of this thread, she didn´t mean what you are trying to sayexactly :)

guyinsf
Mar 5th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Quotes are ALWAYS taken out of context and we must read the entire article before jumping to any conclusions. Also, a lot of players are not native English speakers so when they are forced to respond in English to the press, what they say doesn't always mean what they're thinking inside. Momo is one of the nicest girls on tour, so I would never read too much into this as a negative comment from her. I think we all know that.

timafi
Mar 5th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Quotes are ALWAYS taken out of context and we must read the entire article before jumping to any conclusions. Also, a lot of players are not native English speakers so when they are forced to respond in English to the press, what they say doesn't always mean what they're thinking inside. Momo is one of the nicest girls on tour, so I would never read too much into this as a negative comment from her. I think we all know that.
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Ceze
Mar 5th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Quotes are ALWAYS taken out of context and we must read the entire article before jumping to any conclusions. Also, a lot of players are not native English speakers so when they are forced to respond in English to the press, what they say doesn't always mean what they're thinking inside. Momo is one of the nicest girls on tour, so I would never read too much into this as a negative comment from her. I think we all know that.true :yeah:

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:03 PM

exactly. it's true, it's going to happen with Kim not defending Indian Wells. she's only saying the truth. fact is, both players really don't dislike each other.:lick:

timafi
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:06 PM
exactly. it's true, it's going to happen with Kim not defending Indian Wells. she's only saying the truth. fact is, both players really don't dislike each other.:lick:
well said :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

saint
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:11 PM

I don't think she didn't care or was trying to take something away from Petrova, she's not like that. I think she was downplaying the significance of being no 1 whether it's this week or next week.

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 5th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Momo just put things in perspective, though I suppose she could have been more tactful about Kim. Really, though, do we want these girls to have to be totally watching every single word every time they open their mouths? :lol:

Fact is, the number 1 spot will go to Amelie anyway, and she's deserved it given her incredible record over the last few months.

Rollo
Mar 5th, 2006, 10:50 PM

And the "woman to beat" since 2003 has been-WHO?????

I get your point about Momo not being "feared" yet....

Davenport hasn't been winning slams, Sharapova is still "only 18" every timne she gets her butt kicked, and the Williams sisters are off the map except once in a blue moon on grass at Wimbledon.

That leaves us with Henin (as apt to lose early as anyone else-but with 4 slams you might make an argument for her) and Clijsters-who the last time I looked had the exact same number of slams as Mauresmo.

And 2006 is still early-if she wins another slam she'll be feared alright-and unless someone else wins #2 on results she's a good bet to be at or near #1.

Barbarela
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:43 AM

I'm not french but i have the same opinion of Timafi! :)

No hard feelings!! :lol:

ceiling_fan
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:59 AM
i think she's just being blunt, but not meaning to be offensive or anyhting

azmad_88
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM
too bad..she cant WIN for number 1...

Yasmine
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:21 AM
A real tennis fan! :worship: :yeah:

Yasmine
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Momo just put things in perspective, though I suppose she could have been more tactful about Kim. Really, though, do we want these girls to have to be totally watching every single word every time they open their mouths? :lol:
That's just silly I agree! Add to that the media who tries to get out of them what they want and people different way of reading and interpreting them...

stenen
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM

She's not French but an Amélie fan so maybe that's why she answered like that? ;)

Great, delightful post from Justine Fan. :yeah:
I don't think Amé cares so much about becomming #1 as she did back in 2004. Of course she's happy about becomming #1 again but not obsessed about it....anymore. :p
And she deserves it because she's been the most consistent player since Philly.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I believe if Kim was fully healthy Amelie wouldnt have been even in with a shot for #1 but its happened and shes proved why she is up there and taking it to everyone shes been the standout player this year

liuxuan
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:46 PM

I agree, but that sort of thinking is likely to get you tarred and feathered as mauresmo can do no wrong around here:rolleyes: :wavey:

hablo
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:03 PM
I agree, but that sort of thinking is likely to get you tarred and feathered as mauresmo can do no wrong around here:rolleyes: :wavey:
oh puhhhhlease...it's more like Momo can do nothing right for posters on this board :rolleyes::tape:
no matter what, her accomplishments are questionned :help:

MinnyGophers
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:08 PM
And the "woman to beat" since 2003 has been-WHO?????

I get your point about Momo not being "feared" yet....

Davenport hasn't been winning slams, Sharapova is still "only 18" every timne she gets her butt kicked, and the Williams sisters are off the map except once in a blue moon on grass at Wimbledon.

That leaves us with Henin (as apt to lose early as anyone else-but with 4 slams you might make an argument for her) and Clijsters-who the last time I looked had the exact same number of slams as Mauresmo.

And 2006 is still early-if she wins another slam she'll be feared alright-and unless someone else wins #2 on results she's a good bet to be at or near #1.

Amen to that :worship:

MinnyGophers
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:10 PM
I believe if Kim was fully healthy Amelie wouldnt have been even in with a shot for #1 but its happened and shes proved why she is up there and taking it to everyone shes been the standout player this year

And I believe that if Steffi Graf was like ten years younger, she would RULE the tour. :p

Supermonica
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:11 PM
err actually i was posting my opinion....it may be nothing but im allowed to post thanks. Get a grip if your not gonna say anything more constructive than "its so lame".

I said it was NOT a hate thread. U obviously didnt read it.

But it wasn't exactly an intelligent post of yours either.

Supermonica
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:13 PM
And I believe that if Steffi Graf was like ten years younger, she would RULE the tour. :p

Or if Monica Seles had not been stabbed she would rule still today.
Hingis and the Wiliams sisters would have 5 slams combined only.

MinnyGophers
Mar 6th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Or if Monica Seles had not been stabbed she would rule still today.
Hingis and the Wiliams sisters would have 5 slams combined only.

And maybe Steffi and Monica would team up in doubles and win them all
Navratilova who? :devil: