PDA

View Full Version : Momo will NEVER become "the player to fear"

roooobert
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:36 PM
It's obvious that Momo's game isn't enough to be categorized as one of the best palyers. When serena, Henin, Davenport make good matches they win. When Momo does that there are still a lot of players that have a chance to beat her.

Okey, Momo is no.1 at the ranking, but that would be the case for a several players if they played every single week.

Just because Momo won a grand slam you cannot forget that she hasn't been a winner. Now she had a lot of luck in the aus, but I think it's wrong to think that just because of that victory she now can play unbelievable, without nerves and win over players she hasn't had a chance on before, for examle davenport and serena.

Momo is a good player, but she will never become the best. Well, if you ask her fans of course she is the best, she is ranked no.1.

hablo
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Momo isn't even no.1 yet :spit:

I'm too lazy to look up and post her career stats for you ...

maybe you should though www.wtatour.com :D

Okey, Momo is no.1 at the ranking, but that would be the case for a several players if they played every single week.

Just because Momo won a grand slam you cannot forget that she hasn't been a winner.

DragonFlame
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:45 PM
duh we everyone knew that, some people just got caried away :o
i myself am looking forward for some meetings between lindsay, amelie justine, maria, venus and a healthy kim to see where amelie actually stands in the hierarchy :)

Carmen Mairena
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:46 PM
:retard: :retard: :retard:

hablo
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:48 PM
i myself am looking forward for some meetings between lindsay, amelie justine, maria, venus and a healthy kim to see where amelie actually stands in the hierarchy :)
Likewise (you forgot to mention Serena though :o:tape: ) :)

FrenchY52
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Can't Amélie lose matches, like everybody ?

DragonFlame
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:51 PM

exactly, we all need to see some matches between these players to be sure of what's going on and who's the best. yeah ok i forgot serena, maybe because i lost faith of her returning to the tour in the upcoming months(i don't mean this in any offensive way cause i would like her back on tour for sure! :) )

suzie
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Didn't you know she can't??? :eek: what next, what will you ask next?? Federer losing to Nadal?? :p ;)

timafi
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:09 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

alibaby
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:12 PM
once more,a dumb and unneeded thread here! :o why cant you just enjoy a very good match,guys??without putting someone down??i knew,this talk would come up after that win,and it fills me with anger so much!! :mad: fact is,that amelie played just as well today as she played the whole week,no injuries,no nerves,absolutely fit! rather the opposite,nadia IMPROVED her nerves!and she lost fair and square to nadia today,who was up to the same level!!even that bit better,to be honest.so why is amelie talked into negativity now(and as a chain-reaction,nadias win gets devalued!)??WHY??you dont win a slam for nothing,no matter,HOW you win the matches.and she deserves her slam!!and she IS in the same league as all the others there,no matter,what you all say!so please,for the sake of sportsmanship,stay fair after a defeat...
thx

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM
i'm sure that players aren't too thrilled to be playing her, so i would say she strikes some fear. she's clearly the best player this year so far.

lolo21
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM
despite all the improvment Amelie has made in term of mental toughness ,i think there are still a few flaws in her game,the main being for me her forehand again......i really think she should do something to improve that shot if she wants to achieve more great things in the future
and i'm not saying that now because she just lost to Petrova.....i've already said the same thing just after her win in the AO.

anlavalle
Mar 4th, 2006, 09:08 PM
once more,a dumb and unneeded thread here! :o why cant you just enjoy a very good match,guys??without putting someone down??i knew,this talk would come up after that win,and it fills me with anger so much!! :mad: fact is,that amelie played just as well today as she played the whole week,no injuries,no nerves,absolutely fit! rather the opposite,nadia IMPROVED her nerves!and she lost fair and square to nadia today,who was up to the same level!!even that bit better,to be honest.so why is amelie talked into negativity now(and as a chain-reaction,nadias win gets devalued!)??WHY??you dont win a slam for nothing,no matter,HOW you win the matches.and she deserves her slam!!and she IS in the same league as all the others there,no matter,what you all say!so please,for the sake of sportsmanship,stay fair after a defeat...
thx

totally agree with you. I´m already sick of this kind of threads

pav
Mar 4th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I stiffen with fear
every time that I see her

Volcana
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM
It's obvious that Momo's game isn't enough to be categorized as one of the best palyers. When serena, Henin, Davenport make good matches they win. When Momo does that there are still a lot of players that have a chance to beat her.

Okey, Momo is no.1 at the ranking, but that would be the case for a several players if they played every single week.In some ways, that's the point. Who among the other current GS champs CAN play every week? Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne and Venus are all injury prone. As people were VERY fond of saying comparing Hingis to Venus and Serena at the turn of the century, a player also has to be able to stay on the court.

Also, Mauresmo is only carrying 20 tournaments. She doesn't owe her ranking to quantity. She's ranked #2 because she's the reigning champ at OZ, the YEC and Rome plus three Tier II's in the last 12 months.

Brooks.
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:55 PM

9-1 :devil: :p

Wsisters45
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:58 PM
For Capriati and Myskina,she sure as hell is a player to fear :tape:

Mother_Marjorie
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne and Venus are all injury prone.

Not true. Henin-Hardenne is more illness prone than injury.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:45 PM

Just because Momo won a grand slam you cannot forget that she hasn't been a winner. Now she had a lot of luck in the aus, but I think it's wrong to think that just because of that victory she now can play unbelievable, without nerves and win over players she hasn't had a chance on before, for examle davenport and serena.

Momo is a good player, but she will never become the best. Well, if you ask her fans of course she is the best, she is ranked no.1.

i agree that mauresmo isn't as good as serena, venus, henin etc. but she is one of the best and she does actually have one of the best all round games in tennis.
her serve and forehand aren't great but they're not bad enough to be taken apart by other players. i think her main problem is her tactics, a lot of the time she just picks the wrong way to play. ie when she played ivanovic she kept hitting it her forehand and today she didnt make petrova move enough.
i would like to see her more aggressive and drive her backhand more
i'm not a fan of mauresmo but give her the respect she deserves, yes she got lucky at the aussie with 3 retirements but her grand slam win was long overdue, it was nice to see her fulfil her talent

hablo
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:14 AM
9-1 :devil: :p
That will all change this year ! :devil: :p

Natasc
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:23 AM
duh we everyone knew that, some people just got caried away :o
Im with u dude
I agree in everything u said...

Im really looking forward to see that either

Zauber
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:32 AM
well right now she is the best player.
She has won big tournaments and beaten the second best players right now.
What more do you want?

lolo21
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:33 AM
her serve and forehand aren't great but they're not bad enough to be taken apart by other players.

i personnally think her serve is good.(i would even say very good recently)

the real (only?) weakness in her game is still her forehand in my opinion.

with "only" a decent forehand (let alone a great one like Elena's,Serena's or Kim's), i think she would compete without any problem against the likes of Davenport,Serena,Venus,kim or Justine when they are their best. (which if we are honest,isn t the case for most of them at the moment)

it's to Amelie's credit that she has achieved so much even with "that forehand".....that's the way i see it.

Marshmallow
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:39 AM
It's obvious that Momo's game isn't enough to be categorized as one of the best palyers. .

How idiotic. Name the players in the top 10 who can do some of things she can do with a tennis ball. Her gorgeous volleys, spin, slice, backhand. Maursmo has been in the top 10 for AGES, won the YEC, tier ones, and numerous other things. Just what exactly does she need to do to be "one of the best players" to you? A loud grunt?

When serena, Henin, Davenport make good matches they win. When Momo does that there are still a lot of players that have a chance to beat her. .

At Davenports best there are still players who can beat her. Venus, Serena, Kim, Justine and sadly Maria. Very few players on the tour are as invincible as you describe - it is no handicap if you don't have such a title, but a privilige to have it. I can only think of one player who is can have this title and that is Serena Williams. At her best i don't think anyone can touch her. At Justine's best i think Venus and Serena have a very good chance to beat her.

Okey, Momo is no.1 at the ranking, but that would be the case for a several players if they played every single week. .

No dear, that would only be the case if they made the finals of 4 of the 6 tournaments they played - winning 3. Their chances would also been better if the had won a slam recently and the YEC.

Just because Momo won a grand slam you cannot forget that she hasn't been a winner. Now she had a lot of luck in the aus, but I think it's wrong to think that just because of that victory she now can play unbelievable, without nerves and win over players she hasn't had a chance on before, for examle davenport and serena..

I think people believe Amelie CAN beat Serena, Lindsay, Justine and whomever.. why would they think otherwise? Just look at how close their matches have been. She has rarely been blown off court by them. Also now, she is mentally much tougher, something that let her down before.. possibly costing her the matches against these BIG players. If you can push a player, you can beat them.

How many players are THE BEST? Serena... and whom? You can argue Justine, but people will say if Serena was playing .. Justine would not be "the best".

Amelie is playing better than ever - and quite frankly, i am happy she is getting this success. It is long overdue!

Wsisters45
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:39 AM
How idiotic. Name the players in the top 10 who can do some of things she can do with a tennis ball. Her gorgeous volleys, spin, slice, backhand. Maursmo has been in the top 10 for AGES, won the YEC, tier ones, and numerous other things. Just what exactly does she need to do to be "one of the best players" to you? A loud grunt?

At Davenports best there are still players who can beat her. Venus, Serena, Kim, Justine and sadly Maria. Very few players on the tour are as invincible as you describe - it is no handicap if you don't have such a title, but a privilige to have it. I can only think of one player who is can have this title and that is Serena Williams. At her best i don't think anyone can touch her. At Justine's best i think Venus and Serena have a very good chance to beat her.

No dear, that would only be the case if they made the finals of 4 of the 6 tournaments they played - winning 3. Their chances would also been better if the had won a slam recently and the YEC.

I think people believe Amelie CAN beat Serena, Lindsay, Justine and whomever.. why would they think otherwise? Just look at how close their matches have been. She has rarely been blown off court by them. Also now, she is mentally much tougher, something that let her down before.. possibly costing her the matches against these BIG players. If you can push a player, you can beat them.

How many players are THE BEST? Serena... and whom? You can argue Justine, but people will say if Serena was playing .. Justine would not be "the best".

Amelie is playing better than ever - and quite frankly, i am happy she is getting this success. It is long overdue!

Since when does Lindsay play her best against Justine or Maria? Just because they beat her,doesn't mean she's at her best. It actually means the exact opposite. Only Venus and Serena have a chance/can beat her when at her best. And Serena and Lindsay dominate Amelie,period. And Lindsay will continue to this year IMO,and Serena as well if she gets it together.

Reuchlin
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:46 AM
She needs to hit flatter

VeeDaQueen
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:48 AM
She loses two tournaments in a row and goes from the best player in the world, to the worst :lol:

jaex
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Dont waste our breathe to try to defend Amelie with those Amelie's haters. Whatever fact or result Amelie had accomplished, the doubter will still doubt, the hater will still hate. Her winning, you will get thread like she is a bored, she is not the best out there threads. ( not the worst yet) but her losing, ha! the worst of the lots ( haters ) finally comes out to play.

If she wins fair and square, people will say she is just lucky, her opponents are not at their best, they are carrying injury. All Amelie gotta do is just make her appearance. No credit to her for working hard to stay fit where others fail, No credit to her for her dedications to the sport where others obviously not fully commited. Poor Amelie! Dont fault Amelie when your favourite not doing well, not healthy, not commited to play.

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 5th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Amelie! :hug:

joey1045
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:13 AM
When she goes onto the court and gives it her all that makes her a winner. Any player can be beaten at any given time. She simply wasn't the better player on that day.

fifiricci
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Well, Rooobert, whatever your credentials, you can't ignore the fact that Kim and Martina have said in recent weeks that Amelie is the player to beat, so with all due respect to you (and I don't even know how much that should be), it seems to me that you're talking complete pants! ;)

améliemomo
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:49 AM
THIS TITLE REMINDS ME OF ANOTHER one wich was"amélie will never win a slam" :o

continue it seems that the more you will criticize her the more she will be successful :lol:

sapir1434
Mar 5th, 2006, 11:54 AM
i personnally think her serve is good.(i would even say very good recently)

the real (only?) weakness in her game is still her forehand in my opinion.

with "only" a decent forehand (let alone a great one like Elena's,Serena's or Kim's), i think she would compete without any problem against the likes of Davenport,Serena,Venus,kim or Justine when they are their best. (which if we are honest,isn t the case for most of them at the moment)

it's to Amelie's credit that she has achieved so much even with "that forehand".....that's the way i see it.
I actually like her forehend most of the time :cool:

Direwolf
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:21 PM
How could you be called "The Player to beat" when you get beaten by players weekly, which also have rankings lower than you..!!!
How stupid is it for a player who plans to play weekly, who plans to play her best all the time, who also goes far deep into tournaments.
Rankings may pay out, but how about your health.?? does she get jealous with all those people who gets injure all the time, and she thinks that she would be ranked with them if she too gets injured and goes out for a few months??

roooobert
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:26 PM

well, of course the top top palyers can beat eachother. But I think that with momo players like vaidisova, petrova, ivanovic, mirza etc. can beat her when both momo and them make a good match (of course momo wins most of their matches). I dont think thats the case with serena, venus, davenport, henin, clijsters. Yeah, I agree with you that momo can make more shots than most of the top players, its she and henin. But today I think that power(combined with fast feet) still beats variety. I think momo against williams for example always take a passive roll, that makes it up to them if they want to beat her. But perhaps on clay momo can challenge the best players( the players that are best in my opinion) even when they play good, but I still think henin is a better version of momo, even if I rather would see momo win.

roooobert
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Well, Rooobert, whatever your credentials, you can't ignore the fact that Kim and Martina have said in recent weeks that Amelie is the player to beat, so with all due respect to you (and I don't even know how much that should be), it seems to me that you're talking complete pants! ;)

yeah, momo is partly the player to beat, even if players beat her. But nothing can stop me from believing that it partly has to do with the fact that serena, venus dont play. And that henin doesn't play that much and that clijsters also has prolems with injuries.

Momo has made a great start of the year, but I dont think you can compare her with the "fear factor" serena, venus and henin have had in the past years. They were almost unbeatable.

I also dont think any player would rather meet Serena in top shape than momo in top shape.

And I will always also think that Momo had a great bit of luck at the Aus, but she won in and that whats counts.

lolo21
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:34 PM
the funny thing about Amelie is that she used to hit way flatter in 1999 and 2000 (i still remember that Sydney final in 2000 against Davenport where she really outplayed her hitting so many winners with her backhand AND her forehand)

it's great to see Amelie playing with so much variety comparing to other players but i think she should go a little more for her shots,a bit like Justine.

roooobert
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:34 PM
How could you be called "The Player to beat" when you get beaten by players weekly, which also have rankings lower than you..!!!
How stupid is it for a player who plans to play weekly, who plans to play her best all the time, who also goes far deep into tournaments.
Rankings may pay out, but how about your health.?? does she get jealous with all those people who gets injure all the time, and she thinks that she would be ranked with them if she too gets injured and goes out for a few months??

I totally agree with u

flyingmachine
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:36 PM
THIS TITLE REMINDS ME OF ANOTHER one wich was"amélie will never win a slam" :o

continue it seems that the more you will criticize her the more she will be successful :lol:
I know :o Anyway, it doesn't matter weather she is the player to be fear or not as long she is doing well and playing great tennis that's what matter to me.

Danči Dementia
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Well for me she is the player to fear rigth now period momo is the best rigth now like it or not
Momo :worship: :worship:

Wiggly
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Her problem is she can't take the big step by herself, problem of so many players :sad:

She had the oppotunity to become #1, she did't do it so she will wait until Clijsters lose IW pts like she did, losing in US, waiting for Davenport to lose :rolleyes: :sad:

Sally Struthers
Mar 5th, 2006, 03:55 PM
It will be difficult and she'll have to string together more big wins. The spectre of Madamoiselle Le Choke is hard to get rid of

fifiricci
Mar 5th, 2006, 04:30 PM
yeah, momo is partly the player to beat, even if players beat her. But nothing can stop me from believing that it partly has to do with the fact that serena, venus dont play. And that henin doesn't play that much and that clijsters also has prolems with injuries.

Momo has made a great start of the year, but I dont think you can compare her with the "fear factor" serena, venus and henin have had in the past years. They were almost unbeatable.

I also dont think any player would rather meet Serena in top shape than momo in top shape.

And I will always also think that Momo had a great bit of luck at the Aus, but she won in and that whats counts.

Fair enough, but come on, can we start living in the present, please? Serena is not a force to be reckoned with at the moment, because she isn't around and even when she was around last year, most of the time she was a sorry shadow of her former self. Are you suggesting that Mauresmo should somehow feel less good about her recent success because she didn't have to wallop either players who aren't around or players who used to be better than they are now? What kind of reality is that, for Chris't sake? Talking in "what if" and "only if" terms really really really pisses me off with people from this board, when they can't come to terms with the fact that their "favs" just arent the players they used to be.

bandabou
Mar 5th, 2006, 05:06 PM
If she had won yesterday, she'd have earned it. Now it's more about Kim losing it...

Sammm
Mar 5th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Maybe this is true, but I also feel that Momo has been a little silly in her scheduling. Most players wouldn't play 4 weeks in a row, especially after winning a slam, but she obviously feels as if she has nothing to prove and is just enjoying playing. Miami won't be that important as historically she's never done that well there; the clay court season, however, is very important.

roooobert
Mar 5th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Fair enough, but come on, can we start living in the present, please? Serena is not a force to be reckoned with at the moment, because she isn't around and even when she was around last year, most of the time she was a sorry shadow of her former self. Are you suggesting that Mauresmo should somehow feel less good about her recent success because she didn't have to wallop either players who aren't around or players who used to be better than they are now? What kind of reality is that, for Chris't sake? Talking in "what if" and "only if" terms really really really pisses me off with people from this board, when they can't come to terms with the fact that their "favs" just arent the players they used to be.

I think that some of u momo-fans(well, all fans always do that, whoerver they support) make a big deal of a little thing. The thread is about that momo will never be the player to fear. She shouldnbt feel bad for her results at all, that would be stupid. I feel great about venus wimbledon win and at that point she wasnt a player that players fear at all. She isnt today either, williams is today more of players that many players think they have a chance against.

I have noting against momo, I cheered for her against martina and also against henin at the aus final, she is a great player but I cannot see her with the aura as serena once had. But the truth is that its getting harder and harder to get that aura.

Dementinator
Mar 5th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Momo is a player that no one is gonna look forward to meeting ,but she is not someone to fear either..

terjw
Mar 5th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Well I don't think the top players fear any other top player nowadays. You've got to go back to 2002/3 for that.

jfk
Mar 5th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I tend to agree with the initial point in this thread, even if it seems redundant.

This I completely disagree with though:

In some ways, that's the point. Who among the other current GS champs CAN play every week? Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne and Venus are all injury prone. As people were VERY fond of saying comparing Hingis to Venus and Serena at the turn of the century, a player also has to be able to stay on the court.

Also, Mauresmo is only carrying 20 tournaments. She doesn't owe her ranking to quantity. She's ranked #2 because she's the reigning champ at OZ, the YEC and Rome plus three Tier II's in the last 12 months.
Actually, she owes a good bit of her rank to quantity. She's played over the minimum # of tourneys required, unlike many of the top players (JHH, Venus, Serena, and Davenport....who I think is on the cusp of it). As a result, all of her really crappy results where she went out embarrassingly in the first round have been thrown out.

I'm not saying she shouldn't be rewarded for being healthy at the right times, because I have no doubt that her status at the top of the ranking will be short-lived, unless she somehow can starting beating the players I listed earlier (+ Clijsters) when they are healthy.

saint
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I've never known any player take such flack for winning. I can't comment any further except to say, lets have this conversation again in six months, lets see what the rest of 2006 brings. Momo has a good a chanve as any of the top five to pick up another grandslam, tier I events and maintain a number 1 spot for months. i'm sorry but i don't find this sort of constant digging at her game helpful.

Kart
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:47 PM

Point?

Barbarela
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Dont waste our breathe to try to defend Amelie with those Amelie's haters. Whatever fact or result Amelie had accomplished, the doubter will still doubt, the hater will still hate. Her winning, you will get thread like she is a bored, she is not the best out there threads. ( not the worst yet) but her losing, ha! the worst of the lots ( haters ) finally comes out to play.

If she wins fair and square, people will say she is just lucky, her opponents are not at their best, they are carrying injury. All Amelie gotta do is just make her appearance. No credit to her for working hard to stay fit where others fail, No credit to her for her dedications to the sport where others obviously not fully commited. Poor Amelie! Dont fault Amelie when your favourite not doing well, not healthy, not commited to play.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Barbarela
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:34 AM

The last paragraph you wrote says all! "Their "favs" just aren´t the players they used to be!"

It's sad but but it's life!

Amelie is in the top 10 how many years????????? :worship:

fifiricci
Mar 6th, 2006, 01:27 PM
I think that some of u momo-fans(well, all fans always do that, whoerver they support) make a big deal of a little thing. The thread is about that momo will never be the player to fear. She shouldnbt feel bad for her results at all, that would be stupid. I feel great about venus wimbledon win and at that point she wasnt a player that players fear at all. She isnt today either, williams is today more of players that many players think they have a chance against.

I have noting against momo, I cheered for her against martina and also against henin at the aus final, she is a great player but I cannot see her with the aura as serena once had. But the truth is that its getting harder and harder to get that aura.

Oh dear, I sometimes wonder why I bother with this place, it can make banging your head against a brick wall seem positively therapeutic at times. :rolleyes:

Ok, tell you what, you keep living in the past and making outdated comments like this and I'll ignore them, starting from the end of this post ;)

Oh and I'm not a "momo" fan as such. I'm a fan of quite a few players actually. Mainly a Kim fan, but hedging my bets with her as I have a theory that Kim will be retiring by the end of this season, not next season. Not a criticism of Kim, just a hunch I have that she is less motivated by tennis and more motivated by lurve these days, and why not.

JPrince
Mar 6th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Another pointless thread not worth the time nor effort to reply to. I've wasted too much time even posting this!