PDA

View Full Version : Nadia Petrova: Underrated!

tennisrox
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Before you all start about how Mauresmo choked the number 1 ranking away,give Petrova some credit. I think she gets an unfair amount of stick on this board.There are countless comments about how she is a second-rate russian,and she is lucky to be in the top 10 yadda yadda.She's a nutcase,but she's always had a lot of talent.

I thought she played beautifully today,whacked the ball,used the slice,the chip,the lob,the volley,and showed she's more than just a ball-basher.She dealt with the clever variations from amelie that left Hingis herself clueless.She thoroughly deserved this win,and I hope this gives her the self-belief to help her finally get over her choking against the big guns.She is way too good to have won just one title.

Great job Nadia.All you Nadia fans have been waiting for a long time to see her pull together against the top tier players. :aparty:

Rexman
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I think sometimes people underestimate her, because the only time they see her play is in her chokefests against Sharapova in the slams. Not only is she dealing with the pressure of playing a Grand Slam quarter, she's playing against a top Russian, who she doesn't seem to care for.

I had a feeling she might beat Amelie here.

Ferosh
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Before you all start about how Mauresmo choked the number 1 ranking away,give Petrova some credit. I think she gets an unfair amount of stick on this board.There are countless comments about how she is a second-rate russian,and she is lucky to be in the top 10 yadda yadda.She's a nutcase,but she's always had a lot of talent.

I thought she played beautifully today,whacked the ball,used the slice,the chip,the lob,the volley,and showed she's more than just a ball-basher.She dealt with the clever variations from amelie that left Hingis herself clueless.She thoroughly deserved this win,and I hope this gives her the self-belief to help her finally get over her choking against the big guns.She is way too good to have won just one title.

Great job Nadia.All you Nadia fans have been waiting for a long time to see her pull together against the top tier players. :aparty:

I've been saying this since I joined this board!

:banana: "This shit is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s!" :banana:

goldenlox
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I don't think she's underrated. Nadia still hasn't made a slam final.
That's what the top of the sport is about - winning majors.

Nadia is a very solid top tenner, with tons of talent.
I think she can win majors, but do it first, then get credit for it.

tennisrox
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I don't think she's underrated. Nadia still hasn't made a slam final.
That's what the top of the sport is about - winning majors.

Nadia is a very solid top tenner, with tons of talent.
I think she can win majors, but do it first, then get credit for it.

I wasn't talking about her winning slams or reaching slam finals. A lot of people don't even think she is good enough to be a solid top-tenner.She doesn't get much credit for her game around here,choking apart.

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:20 PM
I think she is rated appropriately.
When she has time, Nadia usually can put it all together.
She has had some close calls against Maria in the last couple of slams but you always wondered if she could do more.
She has done it today.
I still feel her slice isnt good. It is ok at best. No pace on it. It reminds me of Lindsays slice. Just a bit too lazy to switch grips so she goes about it half-ass.
Mental attitude is better than it was even a year ago.
Movement is definately better.
I dont really consider Nadia an all-court player yet because she obviously seems to play better against top players on slower court surfaces.
Nadia is a top 10 player. Nothing more and nothing less.
She had a pretty weak draw. She played a pretty weak Teir II and again happens to win it.
This time it was against a far superior opponent in Mauresmo compared to shaky Patty Schynder.

goldenlox
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Nadia has more game than her results show.
But she hasn't played her best at big moments.
As she gets older, she might be better at key moments.
Her game is huge, especially at the net.

manu32
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:33 PM
not really but probably mauresmo is overrated

Ceze
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:33 PM
At times yes

Then again Mauresmo is overated a lot of the timeis it possible to support a player without attacking another one? :rolleyes:

CooCooCachoo
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I don't believe she is underrated.

In my opinion, she has overachieved.

Ceze
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:34 PM
not really but probably mauresmo is overratedcoming from you, what a surprise :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hablo
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I think Nadia is underrated...
but I knew that way before today ;)

RJWCapriati
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:37 PM

agreed, WTG Nadia!!!!!! :yeah:

silverwhite
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:39 PM
She's inconsistent. Lost easily to Kirilenko last week and comes storming back this week. :scratch:

Carmen Mairena
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I was rooting for Amélie, but I think that Nadia is great! :yeah:

I'd never say she doesn't deserve to be a top-10 player. :confused: :hug:

Ceze
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:47 PM
of course Nadia is a great player, who has is place in the top10, she has the weapons to win a slam! :worship:

thrust
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Until today she was not underrated. Perhaps, from now on, she will play up to her potential. Forget Majors, this is only her secone win though a significant one.

skindeep
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:51 PM
everytime someone wins a tournament someone says they're UNDERRATED

nadie is not underrated, considering shes never won a big tournament

Ceze
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:58 PM
How am I attacking Amelie? :shrug:

I think it was great she won Australia even if it were by default but good for her :)to me saying she won AO by default and is overrated is attacking her and I even don't know why I'm arguing with you on that :o

UDACHi
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Do we have to have these threads every time a player does well in a big match?

améliemomo
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:07 PM
nadia is not underrated,all here admit that she IS a very good top10 player,she has a great level of tennis,she showed it today and perhaps she will be more consistent with that win of today.

the season is very long so wait and see.

rhz
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Nadia had always been my favorite Russian

ezekiel
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM
I wasn't talking about her winning slams or reaching slam finals. A lot of people don't even think she is good enough to be a solid top-tenner.She doesn't get much credit for her game around here,choking apart.

she plays tons of tournaments and her game is very ordinary and so she gets lucky once in a while

BEEILOVEYA
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Yes, Nadia is underrated. Her game is really dangerous and she doesn't get enough credit for it.

timafi
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:20 PM
not really but probably mauresmo is overrated
what a shocker :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SloKid
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Nadia :banana:

Prove them haters wrong :yeah: :angel:

Geisha
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Petrova is definitely a Top Ten player - but, she still has yet to win a big title, nor beat the really, really big guns in big situations - no Davenport's, Sharapova's, or Clijsters'.

But, the SF at the French Open, and the QF at Wimbledon, the US Open, and the Australian Open should not be overlooked. And now two titles in the past year. Good stuff, Nadia.

alibaby
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:43 PM
is it possible to support a player without attacking another one? :rolleyes:
a very good statement!! :worship: thats what i say all along!!more fairness would the the GM very good... ;)

Libertango
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:46 PM
She's really stating to put it together it seems. As Geisha said, she's reached 3 GS QFs, a GS semi and won her first two titles in the last ten months. That can't be sniffed at, and its extremely consistent, which is almost surprising for her. I agree that she now needs a big win, pref against one the top top players in a slam, to move up to that next level. I hope she can do it, she's my fave Russian (with Lena D 2nd :p ) Go Nadia!

-sugi-
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Nadia :banana:

Lets hope for now to beat some of the top 10 in grand slams

Ceze
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:56 PM
yeah, I got it, I received a bad rep from manu32 :banana:

manu32
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:07 PM
yeah, I got it, I received a bad rep from manu32 :banana:

and it's was a real pleasure...get a life mon gars.....
tu me fais pitié..et si tu veux discuter utilise le MP....sinon ça s'appelle l'hysterie stricto sensu.....pas besoin de témoins sauf si on ne peut exister autrement et je pense que c'est ton cas....

Ceze
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Et j'aime même droit à un comment rien que pour moi dans GM! :eek: Le pied! http://yelims1.free.fr/Banane/Banane42.gif

Carmen Mairena
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
I was rooting for Amélie, but I think that Nadia is great! :yeah:

I'd never say she doesn't deserve to be a top-10 player. :confused: :hug:

Classy post! :worship:

darrinbaker00
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:25 PM
is it possible to support a player without attacking another one? :rolleyes:
Yes, but it's not nearly as much fun. ;)

manu32
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Et j'aime même droit à un comment rien que pour moi dans GM! :eek: Le pied! http://yelims1.free.fr/Banane/Banane42.gif

you don't speak french.......
you are virtual????
je comprends mieux maintenant.....

morningglory
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:31 PM
she's not underrated, she's just unpredictable :p :lol: :hug:

Ceze
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:31 PM
et ça continue! http://yelims1.free.fr/Banane/Banane09.gif

Strangelove
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Honestly I never thought much of her, despite the fact she was top 10. But today she really attacked the ball, took it to Amélie when it counted most. And that's definitely different from how she used to play I think...she used to be much more tentative on the big points. But now that she seems to have that under control she's going to be a real contender in the near future I think.

Europe rocks
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Nadia has always been underrated because she never won a title until last year. However, she has proven that she is top 10 material: lots of close slam defeats to Sharapova, 2 French Open semifinals and so on. Of course she can be inconsistent, but isn't everybody? Dementieva lost in the opening round of the Australian Open and then won Tokyo! Nadia does have the talent and even though she has struggled in the past, I think winning Linz last year has given her much more confidence. Now she knows that people can't say that she was one of the best players to have never won a singles WTA title she can just go out there and do her thing. Who knows, she could sneak a slam; she has beaten top players in the past, today and she will in the future. All she needs now is to keep her confidence going and her self belief.

tennisboi
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I agree with this thread :) . Nadia is a very underrated player but today she sent a message through the locker room that she's to be taken seriously. You go girl :wavey: :bounce: :cool: :yeah:

gmak
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:13 PM
better watch out :devil:

PLP
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:28 PM
When the Russians first started coming up in the rankings I remember commentators in America stating that Nadia possibly had the most talent of any of the Russians. She has underachieved so far and hasn't lived up to her potential yet...mostly because she is mentally weak at key moments. Maybe she has started to see a therapist to improve the mental part of her game...either way great win for my favorite Russian today! P

Mana
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Nadia is fucking awesome, I have been saying that ever since 2002. Now I'm getting the rewards. Nadia:hug:.

Mother_Marjorie
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:09 PM

Nadia has been consistently making it to the quarters in grand slam tournaments. I've just been waiting for her to make her breakthrough. Perhaps it will come this year?

hablo
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:14 PM
you don't speak french.......
you are virtual????
je comprends mieux maintenant.....
Et toi si tu crois que tu fais mieux (que lui) en anglais (ou même en français) :tape::help:

cometz9
Nadia :hearts: :banana: good luck in miami, too bad you're not playing at IW.

Corswandt
I have never underrated Petrova's game; I've said before that I believe she has enough game to beat anyone.

What I did underrate was her mental toughness. I never expected her to be so cool, collected and confident today.

MH0861
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I remember when Nadia made that great comeback in the 2003 season from her injuries and stormed through the French Open. Back then, I thought she was an incredibly dangerous opponent who could challenge anyone, really. I think in the past two seasons, save for a few great performances, her game has sort of stagnated, as in, she hasn't really reached the next level (that she's capable of, imo). Winning the title in Linz was huge, and I think this title will do more for her. She is a terrific clay court player and consistently excels in that part of the season, but I think it's about time her results on other surfaces become just as consistent.

I think she's a bit underrated. She is a deserving top 10 player, but I think most people think of her as a pushover, especially when she plays a Top 4 seed in the quarters of a slam. She always draws Sharapova in slams, but I'd be intrigued to see Nadia draw Amelie in the Quarters of the French. With the right draw (ie, avoiding Justine), it's not out of the question for her to reach the finals, or *gasp*, win the French.

Ceze
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Et toi si tu crois que tu fais mieux (que lui) en anglais (ou même en français) :tape::help:laisse tomber habs, tu sais bien que c'est un être supérieur parce qu'il est soit disant médecin :tape:

fammmmedspin
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Hands up. i had noticed Nadia was doing her job and getting through her tournament fields but I thought she was still likely to choke away big wins somewhere in the third. I don't buy into the Momo is the best argument but I still thought she was doing a better job coping with her mental game than Nadia. Nadia proved me wrong. A consistent, playing, fit, top ten player who can pull out big wins against other top players could do real damage at present and Nadia has just taken out the only other one who fits the description.