PDA

View Full Version : George W. Bush: 'I visited Hyderabad, the city of Sania Mirza'

spiceboy
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:01 AM
http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IES20060303102151&Page=S&Title=Sports&Topic=-449

'I visited Hyderabad, the city of Sania Mirza'
Saturday March 4 2006 00:00 IST
UNI

NEW DELHI: The burgeoning fan list of Sania Mirza has a new entry---US President George W. Bush.

He confessed his admiration towards the rising Indian tennis star to a gathering of the cream of Indian society.

I visited Hyderabad, the city of Sania Mirza, said Bush inviting loud cheers from the audience at the historic Purana Qila.

Just back from a daylong visit to the high-tech southern city, Bush found Mirza the symbol of a modern India, which was the focus of his half-an-hour address.

He also paid tributes to Indian-born astronaut Kalpana Chawla who was killed when space shuttle Columbia crashed five years ago.

I know India will always be proud of Kalpana Chawla, he said.

Mirza, who is 34 in world ranking, was on the cover of the American Time magazine last year.

SilK
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:03 AM
So he looks @ Covers of Magazines... :shrug:

Sam L
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I can't believe GWB knows about Sania Mirza. :eek:

What does this mean for Sania? Will she become the most controversial tennis player in history? The Monica Lewinsky of the tennis world? :eek:

Rising Sun
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:38 AM
He was probably informed about Sania while he was in Hyderabad...

tennisrox
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I can't believe GWB knows about Sania Mirza. :eek:

What does this mean for Sania? Will she become the most controversial tennis player in history? The Monica Lewinsky of the tennis world? :eek:

:lol:

George W. is kissing up to her.They hate him, and he's trying to cash in on her insane popularity :p

Dementinator
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Sounds like good old Dubya...

Mightymirza
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:55 PM
:lol:

George W. is kissing up to her.They hate him, and he's trying to cash in on her insane popularity :p
Well they LOVE her...No wonder hes trying to cash in..But most people just love her..

tennisrox
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I guess she's a little more politically correct than Pete Bodo would have you believe ;)

spencercarlos
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:22 PM
http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IES20060303102151&Page=S&Title=Sports&Topic=-449

'I visited Hyderabad, the city of Sania Mirza'
Saturday March 4 2006 00:00 IST
UNI

NEW DELHI: The burgeoning fan list of Sania Mirza has a new entry---US President George W. Bush.

He confessed his admiration towards the rising Indian tennis star to a gathering of the cream of Indian society.

I visited Hyderabad, the city of Sania Mirza, said Bush inviting loud cheers from the audience at the historic Purana Qila.

Just back from a daylong visit to the high-tech southern city, Bush found Mirza the symbol of a modern India, which was the focus of his half-an-hour address.

He also paid tributes to Indian-born astronaut Kalpana Chawla who was killed when space shuttle Columbia crashed five years ago.

I know India will always be proud of Kalpana Chawla, he said.

Mirza, who is 34 in world ranking, was on the cover of the American Time magazine last year.
I did not know there was a city named after her :o
:p

hwanmig
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:34 PM
I cannot imagine what India will do when Sania whens a GS. Even GB is using her popularity.

*JR*
Mar 4th, 2006, 03:26 PM
His brother (Florida Gov.) Jeb, an avid tennis player and fan, could well have told him about her.

Infiniti2001
Mar 4th, 2006, 03:41 PM
His brother (Florida Gov.) Jeb, an avid tennis player and fan, could well have told him about her.

Don't forget that his mistress :tape: oops secretary of state condi is also an avid tennis fan. She's on the trip too :lol:

*JR*
Mar 4th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Don't forget that his mistress :tape: oops secretary of state condi is also an avid tennis fan. She's on the trip too :lol:
Condi's into a different kind of Bush. :p

-sugi-
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:02 PM
:eek: Wow :eek:

PointBlank
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Does anyone have a picture of when she was on the cover?

LoveFifteen
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I cannot imagine what India will do when Sania whens a GS.

Don't worry ... it'll never happen.

alwayshingis
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Please. Dubs doesn't know who she is. 5 seconds before he talked someone probably leaned over to him and was like "there's this tennis player that's at the beginning of your speech...here's how you pronounce it...".

How did he pronounce it?

tennisrox
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Please. Dubs doesn't know who she is. 5 seconds before he talked someone probably leaned over to him and was like "there's this tennis player that's at the beginning of your speech...here's how you pronounce it...".

How did he pronounce it?

Hell,a few years ago someone had to lean over to tell him who Musharraf was! :o

Dubs isn't exactly going to be on mastermind anytime. :p

Myggen
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I remember Bush and Hewitt having quite technical chats about tennis when they met a few years back, and I remember Hewitt said he was impressed by the president's knowledge, so it is possible that he has gained this info on Mirza all by himself. He probably knows more about tennis than running the world's most powerful nation...

WorldWar24
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:04 PM
lol he didn't mention Mirza for anything other than because his advisors told him to. The same people that write his speeches and everything else.Still, sometimes it can go wrong. I'm thinking of the "grecians" and brilliant stuff like that

Mightymirza
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I cannot imagine what India will do when Sania whens a GS. Even GB is using her popularity.
Amen... :kiss:

*JR*
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:29 PM
An irony is that the Contessa's Coach B4 Jens Gerlach was (a Russian Fed guy) named Sviotoslav Mirza. (Including when she really became a "major player" in 2002). I doubt that he's related to Sania.
:shrug:

WorldWar24
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:11 PM
An irony is that the Contessa's Coach B4 Jens Gerlach was (a Russian Fed guy) named Sviotoslav Mirza. (Including when she really became a "major player" in 2002). I doubt that he's related to Sania.
:shrug:

that's not irony. Irony is saying "I believe GWBush is a genius" or "Alanis Morrissette thank you for bringing a new meaning to the word ironic even though it already had a totally different one"

Cashif
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Well they LOVE her...No wonder hes trying to cash in..But most people just love her..

We still hate him irrespective of the times he uses Sania's name. There was huge protest thru out the country and more than 100,000 people protested in Delhi and Mumbai

MisterMan
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:35 PM
There is NO way Bush knew who Mirza is.
Presidents are routinely briefed on EVERYthing and are usually told exactly what to say.

Joseosu19
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Who cares if he didn't know who she was by himself? It's still a pretty cool gesture to be mentioned by the President.

Vass22
Mar 4th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Boosting his image in India.....

skanky~skanketta
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:06 PM
wow, he know something!

Mightymirza
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:18 PM
We still hate him irrespective of the times he uses Sania's name. There was huge protest thru out the country and more than 100,000 people protested in Delhi and Mumbai
true but i was talking abt Sania..and it is true..

pp2006
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I doubt he knows. He was cashing in on her celebrity to gain support in India.

I hope Sania Mirza wants a GS , I would love to see the celebrations in India.