PDA

View Full Version : Was Martina tired?

Sam L
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:30 PM
What I've noticed since her comeback was that, she's still having a lot of trouble stringing a lot of match wins within a week. I've been told and I've seen pictures in which she looked very tired in her match against Mauresmo.

Could this be the reason why she lost? Is this something she needs to work on in the long run?

Also, her talent and skill is there but I think we're expecting too much from her. She hasn't done this playing and training in a lot of tennis in over 3 years!

My guess is her body is still not used to it.

-VSR-
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
I think Amelie outplayed her today. :shrug:

marmite1
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
No amelie is just better than her. Deal with it ;)

blumaroo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:58 PM
She just was totally outplayed.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Erika_Angel
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:02 PM
Maybe Amelie is just better?

pav
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:04 PM
She slept pretty well the night before,tossed and turned a little, muttered something about three am but all in all a restful sleep

Mattographer
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:08 PM
Get over with it, Sam. Amelie is simply the best player! :D

lauramariana
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:13 PM
Tired? Injured? :confused: Excuses! Amelie is better than her, this it`s the reason for which she lost... :wavey:

lauramariana
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:14 PM
Get over with it, Sam. Amelie is simply the best player! :D
:bigclap:

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:17 PM
:lol:

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:20 PM
I dont think Sam was making excuses, he didnt say Amelie didnt deserve to win but Martina has lost fairly easy after a couple of matches into the tournament since Tokyo

hablo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:25 PM
I dont think Sam was making excuses, he didnt say Amelie didnt deserve to win but Martina has lost fairly easy after a couple of matches into the tournament since Tokyo
I think she got a wild card for IW ;)
Why play there if she is already so tired ? :scratch:

I think Sam is making excuses... You must not have read his comments lately :lol::spit:

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM

It doesnt start until wednesday :p :p :p :p

Veritas
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:28 PM

Exactly.

I can't see why it's a crime to ask what went wrong with a player :confused:

I think Sam is making excuses... You must not have read his comments lately :lol: :spit:

Dude, Sam was asking for other people's opinions. No need to bash him - or Martina - for that.

Sam L
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks. That's exactly what I meant. :)

hablo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
Dude, Sam was asking for other people's opinions. No need to bash him - or Martina - for that.
Where was I bashing him ? I gave my opinion as well!! :haha:

Sam L
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:31 PM
Exactly.

I can't see why it's a crime to ask what went wrong with a player :confused:

Some people become idiots when it comes to Martina and her fans.

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:32 PM
Where was I bashing him ? I gave my opinion as well!! :haha:

In fairness you did just give give an opinion

hablo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:33 PM
In fairness you did just give give an opinion
:)

Mother_Marjorie
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:35 PM
What I've noticed since her comeback was that, she's still having a lot of trouble stringing a lot of match wins within a week. I've been told and I've seen pictures in which she looked very tired in her match against Mauresmo.

Could this be the reason why she lost?

It wouldn't have mattered if Hingis came out on court as fresh as the morning breeze. Amelie clearly dominated her.

Rationalizing Hingis' loss by saying she was "tired" only serves to undermine Amelie's win. Give credit where credit is due.

Veritas
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:37 PM
Where was I bashing him?

"I think Sam is making excuses... You must not have read his comments lately :lol: :spit: "

Isn't that ridiculing his post?

I gave my opinion as well!! :haha:

I'm aware of that :lol:

wateva
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:47 PM
if there is a player who's tired, it should be amelie.
martina only played 2 weeks of tennis compared to amelie's 4 weeks.

Sam L
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:51 PM
Yes but Amelie has been competing for the last 3 years. Martina has been retired. Hello?

The difference between other comebacks and Martina's is that she's doing so well already but late in tournaments she's getting tired because she's NOT USED TO IT.

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:53 PM
even if she was tired, amelie had to be too. she's been further than her in every tournament this year.

wateva
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
if she's not used to it, she shouldn't even be coming back.
stop making excuses. she lost to a better player. full stop.

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:56 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

lauramariana
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:59 PM

:confused: :scratch: :shrug:

hablo
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:08 AM
:confused: :scratch: :shrug:
Martina got a wild card, not Momo :p

hablo
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:09 AM
:worship:

Sam L
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:10 AM
stop making excuses. she lost to a better player. full stop.
Harsh. It's annoying how some lil Kim fans are getting the big head these days too. It wasn't so long ago she was slamless and people like you had only nice things to say. My my how things change. :rolleyes:

Erika_Angel
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Harsh. It's annoying how some lil Kim fans are getting the big head these days too. It wasn't so long ago she was slamless and people like you had only nice things to say. My my how things change. :rolleyes:

You can't preach about people being mean to others when you constantly have a go at Amelie. Choke you call her in numerous threads. Check yourself first hun.

wateva
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:11 AM

Harsh. It's annoying how some lil martina fans are getting the big head these days too. It wasn't so long ago she was retired and people like you had only nice things to say. My my how things change. :rolleyes:

Craigy
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Maybe she was tired a but, but Amelie could have been tired too. Amelie gave her a beatdown and was clearly just too good...

Sam L
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Harsh. It's annoying how some lil martina fans are getting the big head these days too. It wasn't so long ago she was retired and people like you had only nice things to say. My my how things change. :rolleyes:
1. Try and be original
2. Been a retired great and been a slamless wonder are two completely different things. Hingis fans had nothing to be ashamed of. Unless of course you think injuries are funny and want to pick on players who are injured.

wateva
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:34 AM
why dun u try to be original and accept the fact that martina lost to a better player? :rolleyes:

Rachel_
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:46 AM
i do think Marti was tired she was in the most physical battle out there since her comeback.

but thats no excuse as Amelie has played far more tennis than her this year so in theory was probably tired also.

just a difference in conditioning thats all :)

Randy H
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:57 AM
The reason she is struggling after a few matches at every tournament is because that's when she's been in the quatrers, semis, or finals of major tournaments, where you are likely going to be playing against top 5 players in the world. The ones who have been able to beat her handily thus far are the ones who have been able to consistently attack her through the course of a match. If you can't do it consistently (like Kuznetsova for example), then you're going to lose. Against Henin-Hardenne, Mauresmo, and apparently Sharapova last week, they did not give her the same opportunities to get into the match. I don't think it's been a matter of fitness or being tired at this point.

lauramariana
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Martina got a wild card, not Momo :p
I deal hablovah, but I ask the same thing myself and do not understand this WC in IW... :rolleyes:

why dun u try to be original and accept the fact that martina lost to a better player? :rolleyes:
:yeah:

selyoink
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Is that always going to be the excuse when she loses?

Mauresmo is just better than her and maybe everyone else right now.

marmite1
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:11 AM
The reason she is struggling after a few matches at every tournament is because that's when she's been in the quatrers, semis, or finals of major tournaments, where you are likely going to be playing against top 5 players in the world. The ones who have been able to beat her handily thus far are the ones who have been able to consistently attack her through the course of a match. If you can't do it consistently (like Kuznetsova for example), then you're going to lose. Against Henin-Hardenne, Mauresmo, and apparently Sharapova last week, they did not give her the same opportunities to get into the match. I don't think it's been a matter of fitness or being tired at this point.

Good post :) :yeah:

Mark for Martina
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:15 AM
I don't think it is an excuse to say that Martina lost because she was tired.

I think it gives credit to Amelies physical conditioning.

Like I have said before, FITNESS is part of the game. If you can't last 2 sets, then you will get served.

fammmmedspin
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Its more complicated. Momo didn't give her errors (like even Kim does currently) which left Martina looking for points. That left Martina running around a lot trying to hold her off and Martina ended up doing more chasing spins over her shoulder and all over the court. Once Momo broke through Martina quickly gave her the first set with service breaks - almost as if she realised the set was lost and her chance would come in the second.. In the second set Martina started to get into Momo's head on Momo's service games by giving her variety and aggression but martina gave up her own serves with UE. The question is why she couldn't keep her standard up in her own service games because if she had Momo looked breakable. she could have been tired. she could have realised she couldn't deal with Momo today. She might have just been experimenting with how to beat Momo next time, she could have lost concentration or got fed up or got tired - who knows.

All we know is that she couldn't beat a fit consistent top 5 player who could rally today - as there is only one of those on tour at present it doesn't tell us much

Zauber
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:43 AM
i think its attempt at making an excuse for Hingis loosing.
Fans of players on this board do it all the time.
Some are just more deceitful and dishonest about doing it.
I am soo tired of making excuses.
I am a Hingis fan.
Lets say it Hingis got wiped by the best player at the moment. Simple

alwayshingis
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:18 AM
I don't think it is a crime to ask about Martina being tired. The scoring thread was full of people saying Martina looked tired. We should be analyzing the cause of this fatigue.

Kworb
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:01 AM
She didn't look tired to me, the match itself just exhausted her. She had to fight so hard for the points. At the beginning of each set they were equal, but after that Hingis just could not catch her breath and Mauresmo walked over her.

I think if Hingis had used more variety, like a dropshot, and hadn't missed a couple of easy shots (that she rallied hard for to get), the scoreline would've at least been tighter. But in the end Mauresmo's fitness would've still been too much, so that is something Hingis has to work on a bit more.

barmaid
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:02 AM
i think its attempt at making an excuse for Hingis loosing.
Fans of players on this board do it all the time.
Some are just more deceitful and dishonest about doing it.
I am soo tired of making excuses.
I am a Hingis fan.
Lets say it Hingis got wiped by the best player at the moment. Simple

I agree, why are Martina's so-called fans making excuses for her loss today? She didn't...she admitted she was beaten by the better player. Mauresmo having played the last 4 weeks has proven she's the fittest player out there...she has finally "found" her game and confidence. Martina was just a victim of a "hot" Amelie who is on a roll....can RG be next??:confused:

barmaid:wavey:

Jakeev
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:45 AM
In six matches, after a three year absence, Martina has gotten to the quarters or better in five of six tournaments.

She is 16-6, one of the best records of 2006.

She wouldn't exactly have that kind of record is she could string matches together.

I guess people expect her to be the way she was and win tournaments week end and out.

For the moment, that just isn't going to happen. So just enjoy the fact she is pretty much going deep in the draw of most tournaments she enters.