PDA

View Full Version : Indian Wells wildcards

Tratree
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:54 PM
FORMER CHAMPIONS AND RISING STARS RECIEVE

WILD CARDS INTO 2006 PACIFIC LIFE OPEN

Local Stars Brittany Blalock, Pam Montez and Coco Vandeweghe To Compete In Pre-Qualifier

INDIAN WELLS, Calif., March 3, 2005 – Former Pacific Life Open Champions Martina Hingis and Mark Philippoussis, headline a strong group, that include No. 1 ranked ITF Junior Donald Young, 2000 Olympic silver medalist Mardy Fish, 2003 Junior Player of the Year Alexis Glatch among others, that will receive wildcards into the main draw of the 2006 Pacific Life Open, to be held March 6-19 at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.

Also joining the players listed above with wildcards into the main draw are Sam Warburg, Sam Query, Brenda Shultz McCarthy, Alexandra Stevenson, Anna Tatishvili, Ashley Harkleroad, Vania King, Shenay Perry, and one other female player to be named later.

“We are thrilled that Martina Hingis is coming back to the Pacific Life Open,” said Tournament Chairman Charlie Pasarell. “Her comeback has been impressive and she is quickly returning to her past form as the No. 1 player in the world. Our fans are in for a treat when they watch her play.”

This year the Pacific Life Open will hold a pre-qualifier to determine a male and female qualifying draw wildcard. Three local female teenagers, Coco Vandeweghe (Rancho Santa Fe), Pam Montez (La Quinta) and Brittany Blalock (Palm Desert) will compete for a spot in the women’s qualifying draw. Vandeweghe will play Montez today at 3:00 p.m. and the winner will face Blalock at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden. On the men’s side, AJ Bartlett, Jeff Salzenstein, Wayne Odesnik and Sargis Sargisian will compete on Sunday at 12:00 p.m. and the finals will be held on Monday (time will be set on Sunday evening when the schedule of Play for Monday is completed) to determine who will receive the spot in the men’s qualifying draw.

“We have so many kids looking to gain entry into our tournament,” said Pacific Life Open Tournament Director Steve Simon. “The hardest part of my job is telling them they can’t get in to the qualifier. This pre-qualifier is a great way to give each of them a chance to play their way onto the big stage.”

The players that have already received wildcards into the qualifying draws are Ben Kohlloeffel, Scoville Jenkins, Phillip Simmonds, Diane Matias, Anne Yelsey, Casey Herzburg, Jessica Kirkland and Victoria Azaranka.

The Pacific Life Open officially begins on Monday, March 6 with the start of the women’s qualifying draw. The women’s main draw and men’s qualifying draw begin on Wednesday, March 8 and the men’s main draw begins on Friday, March 10. The tournament will run through Sunday, March 19.

Billabong
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:55 PM
I don't understand... Does Hingis really need a wildcard? With her actual rank she can be seeded and have a much better draw than a wildcard:scratch:?

Alek
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Brenda Schultz-McCarthy :bounce:

Erika_Angel
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:57 PM
and one other female player to be named late

It's prob Dokic and they are trying to contact her to make sure she'll at least turn up :lol:

Wiggly
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
I think you can have a WC and be seeded, right? :confused:

Andrew..
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM
It's prob Dokic and they are trying to contact her to make sure she'll at least turn up :lol:
I doubt it... They didn't give her one last year, and she was top 200 at the time.

Andrew..
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:03 PM
I don't understand... Does Hingis really need a wildcard? With her actual rank she can be seeded and have a much better draw than a wildcard:scratch:?
The entry cutoff was when her ranking was out of the top 100. Thus, she still needs that WC.

Andrew..
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:04 PM
I think you can have a WC and be seeded, right? :confused:
Yes... It happens alot in tier II events where the WTA has to get a top player in to meet GE requirements.

Erika_Angel
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:08 PM
I doubt it... They didn't give her one last year, and she was top 200 at the time.

... I was joking.

:inlove:
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
:bigclap: Vania! :worship:

Billabong
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the info:)

CoryAnnAvants#1
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:34 PM
OMG they gave Alexandra Stevenson ANOTHER wild card...and into the MAIN DRAW of a Tier I?:fiery: :rolleyes:

How many wild cards can this girl possibly get? There has got to be some kind of a limit I would imagine... and furthermore there is no reason her ass can't play qualies. Such a stupid, stupid move...

Beyond that, I think the wild card choices are excellent. It will be interesting to see how Brenda Schultz-McCarthy does. She's proven herself worthy of a wildcard of some kind by winning qualifying rounds in Tokyo and Memphis, although I think a qualifying wild card would be more appropriate for now at least. She got a chance on the big stage though, so hopefully she goes ahead and wins a round or two.

-sugi-
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:01 PM
Vania :woohoo:

jonny84
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:06 PM
:eek: Brenda gets a WC!

Dexter
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
Vania, Ashley, Alexa and Shenay! Great choices! :bounce: :bounce:
and Victoria Azaranka.:retard:
Qualify Vika please ;)

Varvagina
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:15 PM
Anna and Azarenka :woohoo:

Babolatpro880
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
Is Yelsey from around Indian Wells or something? I mean, I understand Stanford is in California, but there are butter players on the Stanford team than her and she gets a WC every year here.

Scotso
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:27 PM
Brenda :D

LHarris1
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
Alexandra Stevenson must have something on SOMEONE.......lol

Alicia Rocks
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Alexa :yeah: Hopefully win a round :D

Strangelove
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
Good for Brenda :cool:
Can't say that it makes all that much sense to me, though :shrug:

Andy.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:51 PM
I hope Brenda can do well

ZAK
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:09 PM
I'd say the WC choices are just OK. Stevenson getting in to the maindraw is a little ridiculous, and even Shultz-McCarthy is a bit weird but atleast she's won a couple of matches this year. Hingis, Vania, Ashley, Glatch and Perry are definitely good choices all things considered. I would have liked to see a few more international juniors getting maindraw WCs, Tatishvili is the only one this year. Azarenka was definitely deserving of a maindraw WC, and Wozniacki if she wanted one. And you'd think they'd come up with some better choices for qualifying but I suppose its nice for the local players.

DutchieGirl
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:21 PM
:lol: Brenda! ;)

Great that Vika got a quallie WC! :D

-Sonic-
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:22 PM
Alex's mum shags all the tournament directors.

She's like Mrs. Cartman.

DutchieGirl
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:23 PM
I'd say the WC choices are just OK. Stevenson getting in to the maindraw is a little ridiculous, and even Shultz-McCarthy is a bit weird but atleast she's won a couple of matches this year. Hingis, Vania, Ashley, Glatch and Perry are definitely good choices all things considered. I would have liked to see a few more international juniors getting maindraw WCs, Tatishvili is the only one this year. Azarenka was definitely deserving of a maindraw WC, and Wozniacki if she wanted one. And you'd think they'd come up with some better choices for qualifying but I suppose its nice for the local players.

Wozniacki needs to watch the WCs she's getting though - coz she's a junior, she can get less than the older players.

spencercarlos
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:42 PM
She can have a wild card and still be seeded.

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:57 PM
i can't believe indian wells is already here. where has the past year gone? it's going to be wimbledon before we know it.

Sharapova's_Boy
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Vika :worship:

njnetswill
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:00 AM
I would have thought Azarenka could get a MD WC.

And why is the gender ratio so different? There are like 5 or 6 more female wildcards...

jd4eva
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:51 AM

Wrong. They offered Dokic a Maindraw Wildcard which she declined in order to play qualifying.

Ryan
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:34 AM
I hope Hingis draws Stevenson, that would be great. :devil:

dansnewbeg
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Just how many factual and spelling errors are there in those first two paragraphs? Wow, first of all let's start with that date LOL.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Vika :) qualify and go a long way in maindraw ok ;)

Anna T got a WC ;)

Paldias
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Stevenson :eek: :)
Shenay :D :yeah:

Solitaire
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:21 AM
I'm glad Ashley got a WC screw the rest.

Ballbasher
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Alx :D :yeah:
I woonder where the haters are :rolleyes:
Vania :bounce:
Anna T. :D
Brenda ;) :D

Libertango
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Brenda Schultz-McCarthy?! :eek: :bounce:

I remember watching her at the DFS against Meredith McGrath.....I feel so old :tape:

macbaq
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:06 AM
good luck marti! :bounce:

waratahsrock
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:48 AM
C'mon Vika!
they should've given her a MD WC.

Carmen Mairena
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Another WC for Stevenson? :retard: :smash: :useless:

Good on Brenda! :woohoo:

Davenselesport