PDA

View Full Version : "I lost to the best player," Martina Hingis

Simplicity
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Wow! I am shocked she said this :eek: That's cool! Keep going Mauresmo! :cool:

Here is a link to the article! Hingis and Mauresmo both said nice things about each other :hug:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4772058.stm

hablo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
Powerful Mauresmo sees off Hingis

Mauresmo has already won three titles this season
French top seed Amelie Mauresmo thrashed Martina Hingis 6-2 6-2 to ease into the final of the Qatar Open.
Mauresmo broke her Swiss opponent in the fifth game before racing clear to take the opening set with few problems.

Hingis secured two early breaks in the second but Mauresmo hit back with three breaks of her own to move 3-2 ahead.

The 26-year-old then reeled off three more games to reach the final where she will face second seed Nadia Petrova, who beat Japan's Ai Sugiyama 6-1 7-6.

Petrova was 4-0 up in the second, but Sugiyama rattled off five games in a row to establish a 5-4 lead only for Petrova to win the tie-break 7-2.

Mauresmo, who had not faced Hingis since Rome 2001, said: "I think I got it right out there.

"I served well and returned well. I was seeing the ball and really able to play my shots."

The Australian Open champion believes it will take a while for Hingis to return to the form that gave her five grand slam titles.

The 25-year-old only returned to the game in January after retiring in 2002 due to injury.

"Hingis is a great player. I don't think she has to prove anything," Mauresmo said.

Mauresmo is certainly the player to beat. I am not unhappy with my game because I know I'm progressing.

Martina Hingis

"Perhaps, coming back after a long gap and hitting top form will take some time."

Hingis admitted she was disappoionted after after wilting under Mauresmo's fierce onslaught in just 63 minutes.

"I lost to the best player," she admitted. "Mauresmo is certainly the player to beat. But I am not unhappy with my game because I know I'm progressing.

"Having said that I know there are certain areas of my game where I need to concentrate more."

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:12 PM
Martina is progressing.
Martina has to learn now that most of the times when a hitting rally goes above 10, the advantage is to her opponent.
If Mauresmo is on, which she seemed to be today, Mauresmo can just hit and hit and mix up balls better than anyone on tour.
She still isnt the fastest player on tour. She can sometimes depend on her slice too much even when she is on.
To get Mauresmo to slice, Martina needs to really open up the court.
Problem is to do so against Mauresmo now you have to hit some lethal inside out forehands, which still is one Martina weakest shots.
So back to the drawing board for Martina. Work on serves, forehands, and controlling the court.

Simplicity
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:00 PM
Martina :hug:

lolo21
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:55 PM
classy comments, Martina! :worship: :worship:
i really hope you'll win a title this year as soon as possible :kiss:
.....why not a GS?? :bounce:

tennisrox
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Martina has actually grown up.Classy comments. :yeah:

Barlos
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the article. Yeah, nice comments from both players. Maybe Martina's beautifully bitchy comments are a thing of the past. I hope not. lol :)

drive-volley
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Nice words from Martina. Finally. I remember she used to underestimate Mauresmo...

pepsigal
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Martina :smooch:

timafi
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:10 PM
i wouldn't bet my life on Hingis's comments
puuleeeze :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reuchlin
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I do not want this to seem like a hate post (which it is not) but this statement should be taken with a grain of salt. Hingis in just trying to justify a horrible (by score not result) loss. Had she lost to Justine she would have said the same thing.

Ryan
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:35 PM
i wouldn't bet my life on Hingis's comments
puuleeeze :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I wish you would, because you're a fucking TROLL. :D

Ryan
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I do not want this to seem like a hate post (which it is not) but this statement should be taken with a grain of salt. Hingis in just trying to justify a horrible (by score not result) loss. Had she lost to Justine she would have said the same thing.

Because Justine isn't the best player at the moment. Geez.

Daniel
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Martina :hug: :kiss:

jojoseph
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Nice to see such classy comments from Marti.

tennisjam
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:01 PM
But I am not unhappy with my game because I know I'm progressing.

"Having said that I know there are certain areas of my game where I need to concentrate more."

yep, my opinion too...keep the things going on Martina :)