PDA

View Full Version : Doha: Amelie Mauresmo Defeats Martina Hingis 6-2 6-2

LostGlory
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:14 PM
What a match from Amelie....

She totally owned Martina...probably the most intense tennis match of Martina's come back ....especially physically there were some real long rallies as long as 40 strokes at one time....

This did not look like a defeat it looked like a crushing dfeat....

Martina :hug: I still think you are one of the greatest players ever....you need to work on the physical aspect of your come back.. Well done.....:yeah:

Amelie what can Isay you are making us so happy and proud with every match....:yeah:

serenafan08
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Wow...Looks like Amelie was on a mission! Congrats :yeah: Martina will be back; she has made tremendous strides already in her comeback. It's a great thing to see! :D

RR-87
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:17 PM
Martina was sooo tired in the end :sad:
and so unlucky on decisive points :sad:

narrisch
Amelie :worship:

*Jean*
Wow Amélie ! Impressive match ! Amélie #1 tomorrow ? ;)

LHarris1
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:18 PM
congrats Amelie!

TheBoiledEgg
Martina :( :(
she was running on empty at the end :(

Mark for Martina
I defer my judgment to migi's assesment....

Martian Mel
:sad:

LHarris1
did anyone record this match and is able to upload it?

Dexter
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:19 PM
Momo was too good - congrats to her :yeah:
Good luck in the finals - grab that #1 in ranks! :)

Martina :sad: - better luck next time :awww:

And thx to ES for showing whole match live :wavey: :angel:

Cashif
Bad Luck Martina..There is always next time

Congrats Momo :yeah:

Grachka
Amelie :) but poor Marti :(

Sounds like a good match.

Alecia Moore
Momo :clap2:

Martina :hug:

FrenchY52
Omg Amélie what a fabulous match !!!! Congrats !!
Good luck for the final !! :woohoo:

lynch79
it's 62 62, but believe me, Martina CAN still compete with the top players. Amelie really had to play some of her best tennis, and Martina, unfortunately, she made too many errors. Martina's back, just wait and see.

Markus
that was a hell of a catfight out there, such an intense match! amelie was so focused the whole time, incredible!! she really was on a mission to show martina who's the boss ;) .

SloKid
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Momo :banana:

Where art thou haters?

Chucky can't play with the big girls yet (or maybe even ever :eek: ) :p

Pinky
Beside the score and the fact that Mauresmo dominated, the match was certainly one of the best on the WTA these last weeks!
Martina seemed so close on many points and Amelie barely missed anything in the second set!
Congrats to both :)

mishar
Martina could barely win points in her own service games. That's no way to win a match.

The top players at the moment are supremely fit (when they aren't injured): Mauresmo, Henin, Clijsters.

Martina really needs to take a month off from playing tournaments and work with Pat on getting into great shape if she wants to contend at the very very top. She's beating the lower players easily; she'll have no problems getting into the top 10.

And yay for Momo! About to be #1 -- and proving the doubters wrong again and again!

tennisrox
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:21 PM
:woohoo:

Amelie rules! :yeah:

Sweet revenge over her swiss tormentor. It must have felt great.

Martina, come back strong.

Libertango
Very disappointing performance from Martina. :sad: But I hope she can learn from this match and work on the things that seperate her from the top 5 atm. I don't think we can expect Martina to play well/beat every top player everytime she faces them, after 3 years out. She's going to have off days, and needs to adapt to playing the best players in the world again. I believe she can do it, we just need patience!

I know Momo is good, and i think she totally deserves all she's achieved this year, but she still bores me tears. :sobbing:

timafi
good job Ame :yeah:

leviathane
Congrats Amé, you are definitely the best this year :bounce:
Martina : respects :worship: you deserve to come back in the top 5

LostGlory
Yes exactly...Amelie finally found her comfort zone in big matches....she seemed so relaxed....so focused....so healthy.......and very smart....

The back hand was looking sensational.....same swing all over the court very deceptive....

BMP
AMELIE!!! :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:That was SO freakin' AWESOME!!!! :bounce: SUPER! :worship:

migi
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Tired or not tired Hingis can not beat top 10. She can not match up with top 10 players. it was really bad performance. Hingis needs miracle power to go thru.

milkstealer
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
well done well done~~~
amelie rules!!!

AJZ.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:23 PM
Martina :sad: Oh well..

Good job Amelie!

jogoss_78
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
Congrats Amelie
You dominated her

Ceze
Bien joué Amélie :banana: :banana:

Billabong
That match was very physical, and Martina is still not 100% physically ready to win against the very top-players... She knows it will take some time to get that physical condition back, she worked hard before Dubai and she'll definitely continue during the clay season:D! GO Martina!!!

hablo
what a fantastique victory Momo :bowdown: :yeah:

See what a fit, non-power player can do ?? :D :banana:

(I still cheer for Martina :hug: just not against Amélie :angel: )

now beat Nadia tomorrow to take the no.1 ranking on your own terms!!! ALLEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :devil:

Meelis
Well played Amelie!
Martina :sad:

Dementinator
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
Well Done Momo! put Martina in her place!! good job done!!

mariehingisfan
:sad: Martina

Amelie was very consistent and just too good for Martina at the moment

lynch79
Martina should have come to the net MUCH MORE. And try for the angles. She didn't show her normal type of play, she seemed tired. Anyway, congrats Amélie, you really played well.

Mark for Martina
Amelie is the player of the moment... she should have won..

No shame to lose to the best player of the year so far...

Give Martina a year...

lolo21
Tired or not tired Hingis can not beat top 10. She can not match up with top 10 players. it was really bad performance. Hingis needs miracle power to go thru.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yasmine
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:26 PM
:banana: :woohoo: :worship: Amélie!!!

Marshmallow
OoOoOooOo I was very nervous about this match, it was going t be very tough, and I think Mentally for Amelie it was, but she is again showing how much tougher she is mentally. This is a brilliant one, a brilliant defeat of an absolute great player. And to beat Martina to such an easy score… only Dementieva beat Martina easier.

Very Impressive display from the current player to beat. Keep it up Amelie.

Best of Luck against Nadia, you can win that match. Then perhaps you’ll be able to fall to your knees and rejoice at achieving a great goal – something denied you in Sydney.

Best of Luck Amelie.

lynch79

She outclassed Sharapova in Tokyo, didn't she? :)

LostGlory
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:27 PM
what a fantastique victory Momo :bowdown: :yeah:

See what a fit, non-power player can do ?? :D :banana:

(I still cheer for Martina :hug: just not against Amélie :angel: )

now beat Nadia tomorrow to take the no.1 ranking on your own terms!!! ALLEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :devil:

You got what u wanted right babe.....:yeah: you wanted this match up and it turned better than we expected....

Duramont
Amélie :woohoo: :banana:

Fight for the number 1 tomorrow! :boxing:

vertigo
Fabulous Match!!! Excellent play! Amelie makes it all look so effortless.

I am so grateful that Martina is back... She has made things so much more interesting!

WonderfulLee
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
congrats Amelie!

yay!

bellascarlett
Martina...:smash: she seemed to be kinda out of it...oh well...I guess it is as it should be. She is still navigating her way to the top and was up against the soon to be number one. It's safe to say the only players Martina has a problem with are the really elite ones. And in just her 3rd month back, that's really impressive. We'll see you in the top ten soon Martina! :)

Congrats Amelie! Been playing so well lately. Good for her. :D

Craigy
Amelie's backhand was on fire :cool:

Kworb
Amazing match, really enjoyed it. Great rallies. Hingis just got tired too quickly in those long rallies and could not muster the energy to hit that last winner. In both sets she kinda gave up after losing the game at 2-2, unable to keep up with Amelie's incredible condition.

Wannabeknowitall
Its a good step in the right direction for both players. Martina continues to be consistent.
The chance of Martina playing a top 10 player before the 4th round at Indian Wells is high.
She is going to have to regroup fast and start to come up with something special.
We have seen that if Martina has an opening in her draw without a top 10 player, she will take full advantage of it.
If she is going to win a slam anytime soon, she has to show she can beat the top players anytime and anyplace with a bad or good draw.
Martina has never lost before the quarters of Indian Wells in her career.

Mauresmo seems to be over most of her demons with Martina.
I need to see her against Serena, Venus, and Lindsay, players who will not play into a web of hitting 40 stroke rallies. Maybe Miami will be the place that will happen.

SloKid
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Too bad Martina lost,>but great fight in the second.Martina didn't play badly,it's now all about her physical condition.I wonder why she didn't go for the net-she won couple of beatiful points there!!
Martina needs just more tough matches and I hope she can learn the lesson from each defeat.
Besides,Mauresmo (and other muscled girls :( ) should compete with men in the future or they should create other category players. Oh,you're gonna hate for that statement,know it.
Troll alarm!

lynch79
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Too bad Martina lost,>but great fight in the second.Martina didn't play badly,it's now all about her physical condition.I wonder why she didn't go for the net-she won couple of beatiful points there!!
Martina needs just more tough matches and I hope she can learn the lesson from each defeat.
Besides,Mauresmo (and other muscled girls :( ) should compete with men in the future or they should create other category players. Oh,you're gonna hate for that statement,know it.

Yes Mark! Our Martina isn't in the better shape yet. And she needs to be more patient with those top players. Plus, I don't think she played her normal brave shots, she was a little tired, IMO. Amélie of course was too good, sadly.

Marshmallow
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:31 PM
lol .. Martina can't beat top 10? People's opinions of Maria S are really poor. Well disillusionment is for the best i guess lol.

migi
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:32 PM
I defer my judgment to migi's assesment....

You know what. Some stupid fans in this forum still think Hingis a tennis queen. It is shame for that she can not beat top players.

xXSarajevoXx

hingis-seles
Too good, Amelie :worship: but we wouldn't expect anything less from the world's best. :bowdown:

I'm not at all disappointed with this result. I can't help feeling happy for Amelie, despite being the uber-Hingis fan. Allez Momo!

Great week, Marti :yeah:

BMP
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Amelie, You Were Sooo Excellent, I Have No Words!!!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:33 PM
I'm not worried about Martina at all after this.

Look at it this way. After only TWO MONTHS back, she's playing at the low top 10 level that she was back in 2002. If she played like she is now throughout the year and had a full schedule, she'd be in the top 10 by November guaranteed. That's encouraging to me.

She just came back and pretty much has picked up where she left off. One can only think she will continue improving from here. I'm very interested to see how she will perform on the clay when the power of these girls is significantly blunted.

I think if she can get her ranking into the top 16 by Roland Garros seeding time, Martina will go very far in the tournament. The only player she probably can't beat on clay is Justine, maybe Mary Pierce as well. Beyond that, she's capable of beating anyone on this surface.

LostGlory
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:35 PM

Very very very silly and ignorant comment....Physical conditioning is a result of hard work at the gym and many many sacrificies.....Amelie's game has much less power than many players....but it has the completeness and variety others lack......

mishar
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:35 PM
Actually, Martina couldn't play a top player until the 4th round... she will be seeded from #17-24 so will player seeded #9-16 in the third round.. And as there are only four of the top 10 at IW, she might not face one until the QF

LIndsay will probably not play in Miami.. it's certainly not where she likes to play, but she does have a dominating record against Amelie. Will Serena and Venus be in good form? Amelie has beaten Venus the last three times they played, but I agree, it's a very tough match-up for her when Serena or Venus is at their best on a fast surface. But right now they seem far from their best.

Momo has never done so well in Miami before, but it seems like a surface that should help her - a medium-slow hardcourt with a high bounce.

LostGlory
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:37 PM

Look at it this way. After only TWO MONTHS back, she's playing at the low top 10 level that she was back in 2002. If she played like she is now throughout the year and had a full schedule, she'd be in the top 10 by November guaranteed. That's encouraging to me.

She just came back and pretty much has picked up where she left off. One can only think she will continue improving from here. I'm very interested to see how she will perform on the clay when the power of these girls is significantly blunted.

I think if she can get her ranking into the top 16 by Roland Garros seeding time, Martina will go very far in the tournament. The only player she probably can't beat on clay is Justine, maybe Mary Pierce as well. Beyond that, she's capable of beating anyone on this surface.

Martina wont settle for top 10....Martina wants to win titles and be at the top....she wants to be the best,......

Yasmine
Too good, Amelie :worship: but we wouldn't expect anything less from the world's best. :bowdown:

I'm not at all disappointed with this result. I can't help feeling happy for Amelie, despite being the uber-Hingis fan. Allez Momo!

Great week, Marti :yeah:
very classy Comment Ali:worship: :yeah:

hablo
You see, Griffin, I didn't jink her ;)

Besides,Mauresmo (and other muscled girls ) should compete with men in the future or they should create other category players. Oh,you're gonna hate for that statement,know it.

:retard::rolleyes: someone sure sounds bitter...maybe you shouldn't follow sports at all,cause muscles come with this domain... :help:

BMP
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
:lol: Just because Momo keeps working on her physic doesn't mean that there's something wrong with her :lol: You probably never saw what real muscular girls is like... :lol:

Yasmine
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Troll alarm!
:rolls: who hasn't spotted that one!

Marshmallow
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:39 PM

Very very good points. I think Martina wil have even more success on the surface renound for being the great leveller. A lot of the top 10 girls rely on big hitting, which won't give you an edge on clay - you have to sue your all round game. I think if she plays, she can rack up some great wins, and confidence during the upcoming season.

Hingis is playing very well, and still has room for improvement. Tennis would suck is she just came back and dominated all the top players... that would be a shambles. However, she has shown she can compete with them, and has not been totally blown off court. She now has targets, goals and challenges. I think she probably appreciates this.

Yasmine
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:40 PM
:lol: Just because Momo keeps working on her physic doesn't mean that there's something wrong with her :lol:
:secret: that poster forgot that all tennis players and all athletes go to the gym to work out... just let him think only muscly girls (as he calls them) do :devil:

Libertango
Jeez people shouldn't make excuses for a players loss/win. I really wanted Martina to win, but she got outplayed. She didn't play very well and Amelie did. Simple.

Better luck next time Marti! :hearts: :yeah:

Billabong
Martina has played the soon-to-be #1 in the world who's in fire, and I have to admitt the score doesn't tell the story. It was a hard-fought match from both players, even though the last 2 games were too much for Martina, she definitely looked tired there, whereas Amelie looked extremely fit. That's what Martina has to work on, most of her UFES were after very long points!

beauty_is_pink
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:41 PM
:eek: wow Amelie. I'm very happy that she's found her game this year :)

nice try Martina. you still the Queen :worship:

Veritas
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:41 PM
Terrible :(

So far Martina's fallen short when she's up against the top-10. Besides clobbering Sharapova in Tokyo, she needs more wins if she wants to prepare herself for that elusive RG victory.

Anyway. If it's her fitness that's in need of tuning, then she needs to carefully plan out her schedule again. Playing a lot of matches is good for practice, but not when you do five weeks in a row, then take a long break in between. It's inconsistent and it'll probably drive a wedge in the momentum she's built up.

Maybe that's why she gave Kim a scare at Melbourne, only to go crashing down against Dementieva at Tokyo.

BMP
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:45 PM
:secret: that poster forgot that all tennis players and all athletes go to the gym to work out... just let him think only muscly girls (as he calls them) do :devil:
S/he'd probably recommend Amelie to exersice with 2 pound dumb-bells :)

E. Blackadder
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:47 PM
Those were some of the most impressive high-quality rallies I've ever seen. It was way more closer than the scoreline, Amélie just played the big points better

mishar
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:47 PM
I actually don't expect Martina to do fantastic in the clay season. I'm sure she'll do well, but it's such a physical game on the clay, and I think that's her major deficit right now against the top girls.

Also I personally think she plays her best tennis against the big power players on a fast court -- she feeds off their power, a la Hewitt. (see the match against maria in Tokyo --- on the fastest tournaments all year.)

She certainly can play on clay, she's very consistent and very good at controlling the ball, and the weakness of her serve are masked... but I just think her biggest successes this year at least will come on a faster surface.

MissJessou
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:48 PM
Bravo Amélie! :yeah: Win the whole thing now!

Better luck next time, Martina! ;)

Ryan
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:49 PM
:eek: Well done Amelie. I'm dissapointed that Hingis lost, but I know that she's still making progress and will keep improving. It's not really surprising that her physical conditioning is still below par, she's been out so long and tournament play is much different from WTT and training. I'm not worried about her playing IW and Miami, but I'd like her to take a break afterwards and play some low-tier clay events.

Billabong
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:02 PM
:eek: Well done Amelie. I'm dissapointed that Hingis lost, but I know that she's still making progress and will keep improving. It's not really surprising that her physical conditioning is still below par, she's been out so long and tournament play is much different from WTT and training. I'm not worried about her playing IW and Miami, but I'd like her to take a break afterwards and play some low-tier clay events.

That's exactly what I think. Maybe she should play some smaller clay tournaments after a good rest in order to get more confidence and match play (and titles), but I'm afraid she'll choose Berlin and Rome, the 2 toughest ones!

Steffica Greles
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:06 PM

True. And what's most worrying is that she's not clearly playing below the level she did in 2002. She's playing well, and brushing most players aside. But when she comes up against real quality opposition, she's being decisively bettered.

The same old problem arises. What else can Hingis, with all her bag of skills, do to add to her game? She'll never be a powerful server, the reason she hits her grondstrokes with such precision is because they're looped and not very risky (and sometimes tend to sit up), and becuase she doesn't have the serve, forceful strokes, or the athelticism, volleying more than she does already is not a realistic possibility.

I think Hingis can get a little fitter, serve a little harder, hit her groundstrokes a little more aggressively, and be a little more skilled in putting her volleys away.

But Hingis seems to be A LOT behind the grandslam contenders, and even some of the outsiders.

purplerain
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
:yeah: Amelie

Martina still did good this week :hug:

~Carsten~
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:10 PM
mmh she can't win against the top draw of the WTA Tour :(
Congrats Amelie!

no.ordinary.love
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM
After this match I dare to say, Martina is not the only loser. Another one is Justine H-H. I always thougt the Belgian would have the best beckhand on the Tour. The way Amelie played it today was a completely new dimension. A real "nightmare" even for a player of Hingis` calibre.

!<blocparty>!
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:17 PM
Wow. I have never seen Amelie hit her backhand like that.

Tina! :smash: Why didn't you play more to the FH? :unsure:

Anyway, congrats Momo.

Billabong
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:20 PM
But Hingis seems to be A LOT behind the grandslam contenders, and even some of the outsiders.

You definitely miss a point here. Hingis is still getting better and better, she hasn't reached her best physical form yet, you can't get that back after only 2 months of tennis. She is NOT far behind the slam contenders, I agree she isn't among the top-favorites, but if she continues to progress, she'll get there. And she beat almost all the outsiders you're talking about (Myskina, Kuznetsova, Dechy, Schiavone) plus Sharapova, so I think you should still give some time to get 100% physically ready. Mauresmo, Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne are for sure at another level right now, but it's normal I think. They haven't stopped playing for almost 4 years as far as I know.

alfonsojose
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:20 PM
Congrats to Amelie, but Martina :mad: More gym and training and less tournaments, please.

Bumsby
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Amélie... :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Great match, great quality, technical and physical. Martina was ripped off by Amelie's extremely angled crosscourt backhand... I don't know if it was tactical, maybe they thought Hingis had trouble on that shot. Well, because... she had! :lol:

Amélie let's get back to #1 tomorrow, and your record-breaking 4th title this year.

Allez! :bounce:

alfonsojose
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
Being, seeded, she won't play before friday. Go for it and no doubles, please :yeah: :rocker2:

pav
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
This is extremely bad news I mean even Momo fans can't really want her to be swaggering around winning matches willy nilly, I think a short prison term is in order,or at least a fine. This bears alarming similarity to Jophesine being caught picking her nose and saying "I wasn't I-I didn't!" and being believed :fiery: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kahu/jophesin.jpg

améliemomo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
so proud of amélie :worship:

6-2 6-2!ouaou what a score!its what we 're talking about with amélie,she wants this n°1 spot for sure and no one can disturb her from that goal. :angel:

Amé!!!!!! :hearts:

Carmen Mairena
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:31 PM
Expected result for me. Well done Amélie! Win the whole thing! :yeah:

Martina :hug:

hablo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:31 PM
After this match I dare to say, Martina is not the only loser. Another one is Justine H-H. I always thougt the Belgian would have the best beckhand on the Tour. The way Amelie played it today was a completely new dimension. A real "nightmare" even for a player of Hingis` calibre.
I keep reading about Momo's bh !!!! :drool:
dang. I wish I could see this match :(

Wsisters45
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:32 PM
Amelie :worship: Win ANOTHER title :eek:

Martina :) Yet another good week. Rest up for IW.

Bumsby
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
This is extremely bad news I mean even Momo fans can't really want her to be swaggering around winning matches willy nilly, I think a short prison term is in order,or at least a fine. This bears alarming similarity to Jophesine being caught picking her nose and saying "I wasn't I-I didn't!" and being believed :fiery:
:confused:
What the hell are you talking about???

LostGlory
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:36 PM
:confused:
What the hell are you talking about???

Exactly what the hell is he on about :shrug:

Justeenium
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
YAY:! Hingis lost :banana:

mauresmofan
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
I was so impressed with Amélie today - it was like she was dragging the rallies out to 40 strokes on purpose cause she knew she could handle it and Hingis couldn't. Martina looked bamboozled as to what to do but she tried hard to figure it out and she used the net strategy well. Amélies spin was the key factor - it was vicious today and took Martina miles outside her comfort zone. I think Hingis will have trouble getting to terms with the likes of Mauresmo and Justine in particular.

Amélies backhand was amazing today!!!

cometz9
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
Martina :bigcry: it must be frustrating for her to keep losing to the top players, she still needs to work on fitness and her game when facing these players. Good Luck in IW.
Congrats to Momo, she getting close to the No.1 ranking, good luck tomorrow

No Name Face
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:40 PM
Maybe that's why she gave Kim a scare at Melbourne, only to go crashing down against Dementieva at Tokyo.

I don't think it was her fitness. Dementieva showed the same form she did when she BEAT clijsters last year. I watched that match again, LenaD was on fire. She would have beaten anyone on that day, Martina had no chance.

BTW - congrats amelie! i'm very proud of you.

griffin
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:45 PM
This is extremely bad news I mean even Momo fans can't really want her to be swaggering around winning matches willy nilly, I think a short prison term is in order,or at least a fine. This bears alarming similarity to Jophesine being caught picking her nose and saying "I wasn't I-I didn't!" and being believed :fiery: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kahu/jophesin.jpg

:lol: Can I have some of what you're drinking?

Dang, I wish we could get Eurosport!

sapir1434
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:45 PM
Amelie oh my god :eek: :hearts: :hearts:
I'm so so so so so proud of you :hearts: :hearts:
Her BH was just amazing today! She has the most beautiful BH in all world :hearts:
Beat Nadia tomorrow! :worship:

tommystar
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
it's 62 62, but believe me, Martina CAN still compete with the top players.

Really? She lost 6 serves games in a row, could hardly move after 50 mins of play, her serve is so weak...

Meesh
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Congrats Amelie, now take the title :bounce:

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
i can't believe amelie is about to win her 4th title this year. this is NUTS. GO AMELIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LostGlory
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:48 PM
:lol: Can I have some of what you're drinking?

Dang, I wish we could get Eurosport!

It was mighty good griff.....Martina was crushed totally in the first set.....there was a slight competition in the first 3 games b\ut that is it....then an exchange of breaks in the first 4 games of the 2nd set and Ame' flew ....the last two games Martina was exhausted she was so tired and looked completely out of it .....

Mightymirza
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:49 PM
yeah single handed backhand rocks..Almost surely momos gonna be no 1..Next week...Go momo...

Kunal
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:49 PM
damn homey

LostGlory
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:55 PM
I keep reading about Momo's bh !!!! :drool:
dang. I wish I could see this match :(

What can Isay exactly the same swing all over the court....there was no way anyone could read her BH today....it was just unbelievable.....

Bumsby
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
i can't believe amelie is about to win her 4th title this year. this is NUTS.
Indeed... but we'd better get used to it: from now on, that's our Rogélie :angel:

hablo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
Indeed... but we'd better get used to it: from now on, that's our Rogélie :angel:
I've already read "Slamélie" before...you just took things to another dimension :haha:

gmak
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
well done amelie :yeah: :kiss:

the match was closer than the score suggests, and don't be so harsh on Hingis, amelie played a brilliant match ;)

LostGlory
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:05 PM

Fed express you mean?

LostGlory
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:07 PM
well done amelie :yeah: :kiss:

the match was closer than the score suggests, and don't be so harsh on Hingis, amelie played a brilliant match ;)

Sorry but there was nothing close in this match....it was a little competive the first 3 games of the first set and the first 4 games of the 2nd and that was it ....

Rachel_
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:08 PM
Well, Marti can compete at this level the way the match went it could have been alot closer she just tended to miss on big points.

But Amelie was on amazing form!

Overall at the moment chucky is about 6th best in the world imo behind

Amelie
JHH
Kimmy
Maria
Elena D

But where she is in respect to a fit venus, serena, or lindsay im not sure, however apart from those mentioned i cant see her having too many problems with the rest of the tour :D

lynch79
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Really? She lost 6 serves games in a row, could hardly move after 50 mins of play, her serve is so weak...

Wait and see. :)

Bumsby
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:17 PM
I've already read "Slamélie" before...you just took things to another dimension :haha:
Because I foresee into the future: that's my second job, foresee-er :lol: just kidding ;)

Sandra.P
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:17 PM
Saw the end of the match, it was really good. There was an amazing rally that left Martina without any energy at the end.

Congrats Amelie!

Martina you did what you could, just work on your fitness :yeah:

hablo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/20060303_181509Dev.html

03/03/2006
Tennis - WTA - Doha : Mauresmo en finale

Amélie Mauresmo s'est qualifiée vendredi pour la finale du tournoi de Doha en éliminant la Suissesse Martina Hingis en deux sets 6-2, 6-2.

Impériale dans la première manche, la Française ne laissait pas respirer son adversaire. Agressive, rentrant dans le court à la moindre occasion, elle ne se laissait pas dicter le jeu par le coup d'oeil et la prise de balle précoce toujours efficaces d'Hingis. Le deuxième set était lui plus serré, les deux joueuses se prenant à tour de rôle leurs services respectifs. A 3-2, Mauresmo prenait de nouveau l'engagement d'Hingis et parvenait à garder sa mise en jeu malgré plusieurs balles de break. Un tournant dans ce set, car elle finissait par l'emporter 6-2.

La Française, qui a déjà remporté trois titres cette saison, était très enthousiaste sur son jeu cette semaine. «Je suis très heureuse d'être en finale. Je me suis bien débrouillée jusqu'ici, j'ai bien servi et bien retourné. En plus je voyais très bien la balle et j'ai réussi à lâcher mes coups » a-t-elle affirmé. Côté Hingis, la défaite n'était pas facile à digérer : «Je suis un peu déçue. Mais bon j'ai perdu contre la meilleure joueuse. Elle est la fille à battre. Je ne suis pas mécontente de mon tennis, parce que je sais que je progresse. Mais je sais aussi que j'ai besoin de me concentrer sur certains aspects de mon jeu.» Ce que confirmait d'ailleurs Mauresmo : «Hingis est une grande joueuse. Je pense qu'elle n'a rien à prouver. Peut-être qu' après une aussi longue absence, ça lui prendra du temps pour se battre avec les meilleures.»

En finale, elle affrontera la Russe Nadia Petrova qui a éliminé la Japonaise Ai Sugiyama, 6-1, 7-6 (1). Petrova menait d'ailleurs 6-1, 4-0 avant de perdre un peu le fil de son jeu et de subir le retour de son adversaire. Elle se reprenait finalement dans le tie-break pour s'offrir la finale.

fammmmedspin
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM
You definitely miss a point here. Hingis is still getting better and better, she hasn't reached her best physical form yet, you can't get that back after only 2 months of tennis. She is NOT far behind the slam contenders, I agree she isn't among the top-favorites, but if she continues to progress, she'll get there. And she beat almost all the outsiders you're talking about (Myskina, Kuznetsova, Dechy, Schiavone) plus Sharapova, so I think you should still give some time to get 100% physically ready. Mauresmo, Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne are for sure at another level right now, but it's normal I think. They haven't stopped playing for almost 4 years as far as I know.

Agree that. Momo, like a fit Kim and Justine is a big hitter who can rally and (less so than kim or Justine) is relatively consistent when playing well, Martina is going to have trouble with Momo until some big hitter starts playing well and pricks Momo's bubble of confidence or Momo's body gives out again. Martina's problem today was that she couldn't keep her effort up in her own second set service games even after she started to waer Momo down mentally in Momo's services. Fitness, more of the second set aggression and match toughness and a different surface will help but someone else probably has to do the mental damage and stick a large finger in Momo's souffle - Ivanovic is one name that comes to mind - though a fit Lindsay, Justine ,Kim or a lucky Schiavone or Sharapova could do the job. Big hitters who can't rally, tire easily in final sets or hit UE in high enough numbers should be fair game for Martina as Sveta playing well showed. Kim and Justine will be bigger threats but health seems to work for Martina there. Basically nothing has changed from 2004 - GS are open for anyone to win who gets the right draw and has the players that can beat them taken out by someone else or collapse in front of them. Get to the GS final and on recent performances chances are the person on the other side of the net will play pretty badly too.

skanky~skanketta
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:25 PM
congrats momo.

swiss
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:32 PM
Fed express you mean?

now we should say and call the "Amé express" :worship:
go Amé win that title tomorrow and please take a little rest (holidays ?)
:bounce:

hablo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM
She is not playing IW :)

najad
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:43 PM
she'll be #1 is she wins the tournament right?.... oh my nightmare is still going on :tape:

Pinky
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:45 PM

Amex nearly already has her visa for the masters! :cool:

SloKid
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:45 PM
she'll be #1 is she wins the tournament right?.... oh my nightmare is still going on :tape:
Yup :angel:

CooCooCachoo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:49 PM
Amélie is the best player of the season so far :yeah:

Good result anyway, Martina :hug:

alibaby
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
Beside the score and the fact that Mauresmo dominated, the match was certainly one of the best on the WTA these last weeks!
Martina seemed so close on many points and Amelie barely missed anything in the second set!
Congrats to both :)
same opinion,pinky!!that was the best match for a long time!! :worship: these two are absolute high-class!!

Pinky
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Amélie is the best player of the season so far :yeah:

Good result anyway, Martina :hug:

True, and at least this time her #1 spot will not suffer any contestations(sp?)! :)
If she doesn't win tomorrow, she will still be #1 at the end of the month...

franny
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:09 PM
This was definitely expected. As long as she battled hard and learns from it, I'll be happy. The key for me really is that I know she probably won't start beating the top 5 until at the earliest the clay court season. It's just gonna take time adjusting to playing them regularly. She's clearly adjusted to play 10 and lower players, but its a next step that she's gotta take that's just gonna come with experience and time.

nouf
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:10 PM
hqs

http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/xQE47Gy_mhingisdohaq1thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=xQE47Gy_mhingisdohaq1.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/YRcAZ52_mhingisdohaq2thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=YRcAZ52_mhingisdohaq2.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/nR5ciG8_mhingisdohaq3thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=nR5ciG8_mhingisdohaq3.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/Qx5CWsB_mhingisdohaq4thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=Qx5CWsB_mhingisdohaq4.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/JTRSAFEt_mhingisdohaq5thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=JTRSAFEt_mhingisdohaq5.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/kd3H9Dq_mhingisdohaq6thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=kd3H9Dq_mhingisdohaq6.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/Rv1mkOI_mhingisdohaq7thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=Rv1mkOI_mhingisdohaq7.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/rypTxhXd_mhingisdohaq8thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=rypTxhXd_mhingisdohaq8.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/EaL7bvn1_mhingisdohaq9thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=EaL7bvn1_mhingisdohaq9.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/3HRSJPN_mhingisdohaq10thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=3HRSJPN_mhingisdohaq10.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/2QVKZqX_mhingisdohaq11thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=2QVKZqX_mhingisdohaq11.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/tqz7OHu_mhingisdohaq12thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=tqz7OHu_mhingisdohaq12.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/NEiNg49F_mhingisdohaq13thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=NEiNg49F_mhingisdohaq13.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/A4iVvaKc_mhingisdohaq14thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=A4iVvaKc_mhingisdohaq14.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/TdGMoZo_mhingisdohaq15thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=TdGMoZo_mhingisdohaq15.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/fqhHYXD_mhingisdohaq16thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=fqhHYXD_mhingisdohaq16.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/isQrrNh_mhingisdohaq17thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=isQrrNh_mhingisdohaq17.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/gcL69EPD_mhingisdohaq18thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=gcL69EPD_mhingisdohaq18.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/8jbk6P5M_mhingisdohaq19thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=8jbk6P5M_mhingisdohaq19.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/ZH8FYvcV_mhingisdohaq20thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=ZH8FYvcV_mhingisdohaq20.JPG)

lolo21
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:15 PM
i can't believe amelie is about to win her 4th title this year. this is NUTS. GO AMELIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe ,guess that her first GS title has given her some confidence.... :bounce:

griffin
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:16 PM
Hey, if Amelie wins the tourney, does she get to keep that Harley behind Hingis? :devil:

Hant11
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:20 PM
hqs

http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/xQE47Gy_mhingisdohaq1thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=xQE47Gy_mhingisdohaq1.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/YRcAZ52_mhingisdohaq2thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=YRcAZ52_mhingisdohaq2.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/nR5ciG8_mhingisdohaq3thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=nR5ciG8_mhingisdohaq3.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/Qx5CWsB_mhingisdohaq4thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=Qx5CWsB_mhingisdohaq4.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/JTRSAFEt_mhingisdohaq5thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=JTRSAFEt_mhingisdohaq5.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/kd3H9Dq_mhingisdohaq6thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=kd3H9Dq_mhingisdohaq6.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/Rv1mkOI_mhingisdohaq7thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=Rv1mkOI_mhingisdohaq7.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/rypTxhXd_mhingisdohaq8thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=rypTxhXd_mhingisdohaq8.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/EaL7bvn1_mhingisdohaq9thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=EaL7bvn1_mhingisdohaq9.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/3HRSJPN_mhingisdohaq10thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=3HRSJPN_mhingisdohaq10.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/2QVKZqX_mhingisdohaq11thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=2QVKZqX_mhingisdohaq11.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/tqz7OHu_mhingisdohaq12thb.jpg (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=tqz7OHu_mhingisdohaq12.jpg) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/NEiNg49F_mhingisdohaq13thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=NEiNg49F_mhingisdohaq13.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/A4iVvaKc_mhingisdohaq14thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=A4iVvaKc_mhingisdohaq14.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/TdGMoZo_mhingisdohaq15thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=TdGMoZo_mhingisdohaq15.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/fqhHYXD_mhingisdohaq16thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=fqhHYXD_mhingisdohaq16.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/isQrrNh_mhingisdohaq17thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=isQrrNh_mhingisdohaq17.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/gcL69EPD_mhingisdohaq18thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=gcL69EPD_mhingisdohaq18.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/8jbk6P5M_mhingisdohaq19thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=8jbk6P5M_mhingisdohaq19.JPG) http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/ZH8FYvcV_mhingisdohaq20thb.JPG (http://www.mediaupload.net/img.php?id=ZH8FYvcV_mhingisdohaq20.JPG)

where are the hqs of amelie mauresmo nouf ? :rolleyes: Il n'y a pas que Martina dans la vie :)

RAA
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
GReat job AmeliE!! I thought she would be too much for hingis to handle right now. I still think hingis can beat more times than not virtually everyone on the tour (in their current form) except for the top 5... top 4 anyway.

Amelie is playing out of her mind which is great to see..

and hingis is still totally impressive too.

RAA
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:51 PM
hingis looks pretty tired in some of those pix...

and compared to amelies HARD body, hingis looks like a 12 year old...

butch
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:51 PM
I actually don't expect Martina to do fantastic in the clay season. I'm sure she'll do well, but it's such a physical game on the clay, and I think that's her major deficit right now against the top girls.

Also I personally think she plays her best tennis against the big power players on a fast court -- she feeds off their power, a la Hewitt. (see the match against maria in Tokyo --- on the fastest tournaments all year.)

She certainly can play on clay, she's very consistent and very good at controlling the ball, and the weakness of her serve are masked... but I just think her biggest successes this year at least will come on a faster surface.

agreed

griffin
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM
hingis looks pretty tired in some of those pix...

and compared to amelies HARD body, hingis looks like a 12 year old...

A very GRUMPY 12 year old :lol:

http://img01.mediaupload.net/images/2006/Mar/3/xQE47Gy_mhingisdohaq1thb.jpg

Like I said, elsewhere though, I still consider her comeback a work in progress. She's not done yet.

ToeTag
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
I wish Amelie's clothing manufacturer would give her better stuff! That little number she is sporting lately looks as though its been put through the wash 9000 times, and the colour has faded. I hate it.

She needs to be in black. Black top, and shorts. No skirts or dresses. I loath skirts, and dresses on tennis players. :o

mauresmofan
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:14 PM
I wish Amelie's clothing manufacturer would give her better stuff! That little number she is sporting lately looks as though its been put through the wash 9000 times, and the colour has faded. I hate it.

She needs to be in black. Black top, and shorts. No skirts or dresses. I loath skirts, and dresses on tennis players. :o

Hey that's her lucky wash and wear outfit - don't slag it off ;)

jonny84
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:14 PM
Well done Amelie.

Shame for Martina, but she will start to beat the Top10 players soon!

hablo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
I, on the other hand, really like Momo's latest outfit (I think she's been wearing it since AO).
It's really flattering for her and the color is cool too :smoke:

bandabou
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
6-2 6-2 is painful. Shows that Martina still has ways to go before she can compete with the really elite...she can beat non-top 10'ers, but has no prayer so far against the top 10. Ironically that the only top 10'er she beat, was Maria...

smiler
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:17 PM
:) Amelie :smooch:

Wish I could have seen it :sad:

crazyroberto6767
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
People are expecting a lot out of Martina so soon :eek:. Considering people were wondering if Martina could even be top-30 again, I'd say she's done pretty well. I expect her to keep improving, but beyond that I'm trying not to expect much from her. Especially with the draws she's getting as an unseeded player. Great tournament Martina, good luck at IW :).

Awesome job Momo :yeah:

saint
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:08 PM
Ame is the one to beat this year, while she is playing with such ease and confidence i think she will hold the no 1 place for some months. I think her extreme level of fitness is a credit to her and will hod her in good stead for 2006.
Well done Ame!

suzie
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Amélie :worship: simply amazing!
Martina :yeah: even if I can't love you as a person, I really like your game and yes, you lost to the best of the best. ;)

Great match! Watching them both playing makes me realize why I love tennis so much!

fOxYLiCiOuS
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:53 PM
Amilie! :inlove:

Corswandt
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:00 PM
Woohoo! vCash. Too bad I could only spare 20 for my bet.

An excellent match, much more entertaining than its score might suggest. Some magnificent rallies, with both players returning shots that would have led to UEs with just about any other player.

I'm going to be a bit know-it-all here and claim that, even before this match, I was becoming convinced that Hingis isn't a top 10 item just yet. She lacks the artillery for it. Mauresmo doesn't hit that hard either, you'll say, but one must remember that virtually no one on the WTATour has her athleticism, speed, footwork, touch and shot variety. Mauresmo makes the difference by returning everything while changing pace, types of shots and shot placement. All that spin that she uses makes it very hard to attack some of her deceptively short and slow shots.

On the first set, Mauresmo was amazing. I've seen her serving better (then again, Hingis is such a good returner), but she was playing a loose and delightful offensive game, rushing the net, taking risks and hitting many of those "Wow! Did she just to that?" backhand winners (sliced and topspin) - I wonder why it's JHH's backhand that has all the pundits gushing over it when Mauresmo uses mainly her backhand to control a point, change its pace and sometimes win it. And Hingis was playing pretty well, hanging in there in all those rallies - but it simply wasn't enough. At the end of the first set, Mauresmo probably thought she had it in the bag and relapsed into the more conservative game that basically won her the AO. By then Hingis was getting tired and despondent (playing against Mauresmo, who has a unique way of turning every rally into an athletic contest by mixing up her shots, must be terribly wearying) and understandably started hitting many more UEs than usual.

Andy.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:01 PM
Awwwww poor Martina i really wanted her to win this one. O well she still had a great tournament

vertigo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:02 PM

:lol: :lol: It is really faded!! I like it that way. The reddish colour really suits her. *I still shudder when I see pictures of her in the dire Nike outfits in pink and yellow*. What were Nike thinking!?

Plus, I love the way she's the most tanned player out there. Rubbing gravy all over herself pre- match methinks ;)

mauresmofan
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:10 PM

An excellent match, much more entertaining than its score might suggest. Some magnificent rallies, with both players returning shots that would have led to UEs with just about any other player.

I'm going to be a bit know-it-all here and claim that, even before this match, I was becoming convinced that Hingis isn't a top 10 item just yet. She lacks the artillery for it. Mauresmo doesn't hit that hard either, you'll say, but one must remember that virtually no one on the WTATour has her athleticism, speed, footwork, touch and shot variety. Mauresmo makes the difference by returning everything while changing pace, types of shots and shot placement. All that spin that she uses makes it very hard to attack some of her deceptively short and slow shots.

On the first set, Mauresmo was amazing. I've seen her serving better (then again, Hingis is such a good returner), but she was playing a loose and delightful offensive game, rushing the net, taking risks and hitting many of those "Wow! Did she just to that?" backhand winners (sliced and topspin) - I wonder why it's JHH's backhand that has all the pundits gushing over it when Mauresmo uses mainly her backhand to control a point, change its pace and sometimes win it. And Hingis was playing pretty well, hanging in there in all those rallies - but it simply wasn't enough. At the end of the first set, Mauresmo probably thought she had it in the bag and relapsed into the more conservative game that basically won her the AO. By then Hingis was getting tired and despondent (playing against Mauresmo, who has a unique way of turning every rally into an athletic contest by mixing up her shots, must be terribly wearying) and understandably started hitting many more UEs than usual.

:worship: Wow great report - if you are not a sports journalist already I think you should become one!

marmite1
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM
:D :worship:

Scotso
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM
Amelie :D

Alicia Rocks
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:32 PM
Amelie :eek: Glad your winning all the matches, fully deserved :yeah:

flyingmachine
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:32 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: Go and win that title Amelie. :rocker2:

flyingmachine
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:34 PM
Let the nightmare continue. :devil:

saint
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:47 PM
Sorry but there was nothing close in this match....it was a little competive the first 3 games of the first set and the first 4 games of the 2nd and that was it ....

I agree, there was nothing close in this match, Hingis was completely outsmarted and out played. Ame was playing well within herself and imo was not stretched, I thought she showed enormous composure and patience and what can I say, we've been waiting years for this sort of consistent high playing, Ame has worked hard and should enjoy every single moment of being on top, I'll enjoy it with her and can't wait for the rest of the season. I want to see her consistently beat non injured on form players so she can truely take her place amongst the greats.

hablo
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:02 AM

Sounds like Momo played a very good match !! :hearts:
Thanks for the report :yeah:

lauramariana
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Congrats Amelie!!! Good luck for the final :wavey:

Lapin
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:23 AM
:eek: OMG! What a fantastic match!! :D Firstly, it was great that (British) Eurosport changed their schedule and showed it! :yeah: Fabulous match from both girls, some of the rallies were amazing :bigclap: , but Amélie :bowdown: , she was so calm and focused on what she had to do; it's just such a joy to see her playing like this! :D That long rally, where Martina dropped her racquet and was double over at the end, (see nouf's pic!) :eek: But props to Martina, given how long she's been away from the tour, her comeback's pretty good so far.

Bien joué Amélie!! Go and grab the title and the No.1 spot tomorrow!! :yeah:

(I guess I should write my 'thank you' email to Eurosport now :angel: , as I was one of the ones hassling them to show the match by email yesterday! :lol: )

Sharapova's_Boy
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Martina :sad: :sad: :sad:

anlavalle
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:15 AM
I´m so glad she won, thanks guys for all your reports, I´m cheking all the sport programs today to catch some parts of the match because I didn´t see it.

silverwhite
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:49 AM
where are the hqs of amelie mauresmo nouf ? :rolleyes: Il n'y a pas que Martina dans la vie :)

:rolls:

Orion
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:51 AM

I'm with you here, but I'd say the only players she can't beat on clay are Justine, and Amelie. The only one I can't see her beating in Paris is Justine. There's a big difference between clay and the French Open. ;)

doofus
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:57 AM
well done momo!!! =P

hwanmig
Mar 4th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Incredible scoreline, looks like Amelie did her homework coz Martina was certainly very impressive in her previous matches. Today it looks like title number 4 for Amelie and next week number one.

Fat Frog
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:43 AM
gud stuff!!

RJWCapriati
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:45 AM

LesViolettes
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I always love it when Amélie wins, but when she beats Hingis I have an extra special little thrill of evil glee.

Sorry, but it's true.

ALLEZ ALLEZ !!!

1star
Mar 4th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Well done, Amelie :D

Sorry, Martina, good luck next week!

BEEILOVEYA
Mar 4th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Mauresmo stunned me by her form. REALLY. I haven't seen her play like this this year. If she can continue this forum, she really can win all four grand slams this year.

I really hoped Martina can win, but she needs more practice and time. She said herself that her game has improved and that she is doing small steps. I am sure that she will be a big challenge to the top players in a couple of months. She will also win against them.

These matches can only help. This was the best match in terms of hiqh quality standard in ages. I am really proud of MARTINA and also AMELIE. Win your fourts title Momo, Martina i wish you the best of luck in Indian Wells.;)

Andy_
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I'm really really happy for Amélie, she's being so consistently good this year! And I believe Martina sorta had a bill to pay... let's not forget how their relationship got tense at that Aussie final... this 2 and 2 win sounds like sweet revenge to me :yeah:

Jenny.C.Fan
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Nice one amelie :), a fantastic performance and such an entertaining match some superb rallies, now go get the no1 ranking back today :). Go ame :)

Steffica Greles
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:24 PM

No no, you missed my point - completely.

My point was that even at her physical best, Hingis was losing her competitive edge 5 years ago. There's only so far she can stretch. Five years ago, in early 2001, when it was clear that physically Hingis had done everything she could do and was clearly slipping, people were saying exactly the same as you've just said.

Hingis has far too much for most players, but against the girls who are roughly halfway between her level of testosterone and Andy Roddick's, she is just not athletic and physical enough. She may be Henin's size, but Justine was a born athlete - Hingis isn't. And even Justine caused herself all kinds of problems from pushing herself too far to make up for her size. Besides which, looking at Hingis I would dispute that she's far from her physical best right now. She looks in great shape.

I hate to say it, because Hingis is the most natural player I've ever seen, but her chances of winning another slam are very slim.

tennisjam
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:05 PM
it's 62 62, but believe me, Martina CAN still compete with the top players.

definitely :)

so many points were so close...she just needs to improve some things and she could target very high...:)

Billabong
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:15 PM
No no, you missed my point - completely.

My point was that even at her physical best, Hingis was losing her competitive edge 5 years ago. There's only so far she can stretch. Five years ago, in early 2001, when it was clear that physically Hingis had done everything she could do and was clearly slipping, people were saying exactly the same as you've just said.

Hingis has far too much for most players, but against the girls who are roughly halfway between her level of testosterone and Andy Roddick's, she is just not athletic and physical enough. She may be Henin's size, but Justine was a born athlete - Hingis isn't. And even Justine caused herself all kinds of problems from pushing herself too far to make up for her size. Besides which, looking at Hingis I would dispute that she's far from her physical best right now. She looks in great shape.

I hate to say it, because Hingis is the most natural player I've ever seen, but her chances of winning another slam are very slim.

I know she may not be the best physically, but then how did Myskina, Sharapova and Kuznetsova win all slams recently, players that Martina already beat in the last month? Hingis can have her slam as well if she plays her best and continues to improve:) Maybe she's not the favorite right now, but I think she'll always be a contender:)

peace:)