PDA

View Full Version : Why Martina needs to win against Mauresmo...

Sam L
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:32 AM
In my opinion, she will play the biggest match since her comeback.

This year she's only beaten one top ten player - Sharapova. This happened in their first meeting. Their second meeting a few weeks later, Sharapova won.

Firstly, Martina was, is and will always do well against lower ranked players. She's just not the type of player who loses to lower ranked players all the time. She's a consistent top player.

The question before was could she compete with the top players when they were on their game? Far too often, she was pipped at the finish line by these top players.

Yes, players like Schiavone, Kuznetsova, Myskina have been and can be seen as top players but they're not grand slam contenders right now.

Secondly, regarding her win over Sharapova, there have been suggestions that Maria was shocked at the way Hingis played and lost the first time but that she has now gotten used to her game. I refuse to believe this. But whatever, let's just say this is true. This means that Hingis needs a true top ten win over a player whom she has played numerous times before and a player in grand slam winning form.

Well... what better opportunity is there than to beat Mauresmo?

Looking at their head-to-heads, Mauresmo won the last two times they played. In Berlin and in Rome in 2001. This is almost 5 years ago.

But Hingis leads H2H 7-4.

If Martina can extend this to 8-4, she would've proven, she can:

1. Beat a top player at the top of her game
2. Beat an old foe who knows her game well

In other words, if she can beat Mauresmo, she can beat anyone on tour. That is, she has the potential win grand slams and be #1.

Thoughts?

turt
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Well, you could also say that Amélie needs to win against Martina, otherwise she would just prove everyone she only had a few weeks good run and some luck...
When you "dominate the tour" you can't afford losing to Ivanovic, Kuznetsova and Hingis in half the tournaments you played!

Martian Eve
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
wow that's a good explanation! i totally agree with you on this:

'If Martina can extend this to 8-4, she would've proven, she can:

2. Beat an old foe who knows her game well'

and:

'she has the potential win grand slams and be #1.' - absolutely, she already did in mixed double, so next one will be in the singles!! :D

But I think she plays not so consistent yet... I hope she'll get the routine back soon and be as consistent as in her top years!! Because yesterday at kuznetsova's match, the first set was really not that good!

So come on marti, defeat Maureso!! :bounce: :bounce:

Cashif
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:43 AM
I guess Momo will win coz she is playing her best tennis and is the most confident player in tour now..If Martina could stretch her to 3 sets, it would be great and if Martina can win, it would be a huge achievement & will be confidence booster to Martina..

C'mon Martina show the world ur true potential :worship:

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:47 AM
if she wins she will prove more to herself that she should be top3 player and can get back to #1.

LostGlory
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:52 AM
if she wins she will prove more to herself that she should be top3 player and can get back to #1.

She knows that and this will happen but I dont think it will happen today.....well Actually if she has any chance to win against Amelie it will be today....

Hingis won against Sharapova easy in Tpkyo because she makes her own game plans while on court....but then Maria worked out a way to win her....

Amelie if she looses today she will work out a way to win her.....but I dont think she will loose.....

mr_burns
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:14 AM
in martinas best time, amelie was never crushed by her...it was always close (first meeting over 3 set) at the end, she was the better one

I don't think why it should have changed, the same with martina and lindsay. no reason why martina shoul beat one of them

dinhd82
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:24 AM
Martina beat Amelie 2 and 3 at the Australian open, that was pretty crushing to me. And also 3 and 3 at the French. It's actually the other way around, Mauresmo never beat Martina easily, even at Martina's worst, Mauresmo still had tough time beating her.

No reason why Martina should lose to Lindsay, Mauresmo, etc because they are bigger, stronger than she but guess what? She has beaten them, and beaten them quite often, that is why Martina is so great! So what if she lost to Sharapova last time, Martina will figure out how to beat Maria again! It's tennis, you lose one day, you will try to figure out a way to beat them next time!

mr_burns
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:37 AM
but I think Lindsay knows quite well how to beat her...the played more than 15 time I think. at the end Lindsay was the better one.
BTW martina ia allowed to beat nearly anyone but not Lindsay and Amelie;-)

it's really impressing how she came back

spencercarlos
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:44 AM
in martinas best time, amelie was never crushed by her...it was always close (first meeting over 3 set) at the end, she was the better one

I don't think why it should have changed, the same with martina and lindsay. no reason why martina shoul beat one of them
This is no sense.
Hingis in fact has beaten Mauresmo easily at the Australian Open 99 Final 6-2 6-3 for example, and a some staight setters GS cup 99 7-6 6-2 and 7-5 6-2 at Moscow 2000 and Amelia Island 2001. Yes she won the last 2 matches against Hingis, but that does not means that she ended up being the better one. :retard: Its 7-4 the head to head.

Anyway Martina does not needs to beat Mauresmo, would be another amazing win of course, but she does not need to beat the best player at the moment to prove anything. She already proved that she is playing really well, upsetting players all over the place, going up in the rankings so fast.

She already beat a player that knows her game well and has played in the past, like Schiavone who is playing the best tennis of her life at this point.

About the Sharapova match last week, well it can happen, i happened that Maria was playing well, Hingis did not play that well, but that can happen, Maria is a top player, and the better player on the day won, and more so Maria beat Davenport 6-1 6-3 after losing the first set in the semis, so that was a good indication of how well she was playing.

radics
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:58 AM
In no way Hingis has to win this one. I give her at least ONE YEAR untill I would talk like this. Right now she has still to adjust to the pro tour. Just because she had a good start after such a long time away from the tour means not, she has to beat anyone now. Amelie is by no doubt the best/hottest player right now. No way Hingis has to beat her only three months after her comeback.

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:05 AM
Marti doesn't have to prove a thing right now. This is her honeymoon period. She'll be adulated for some time as long as she is even competitive with the highly ranked players.

Veritas
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
In no way Hingis has to win this one. I give her at least ONE YEAR untill I would talk like this. Right now she has still to adjust to the pro tour. Just because she had a good start after such a long time away from the tour means not, she has to beat anyone now. Amelie is by no doubt the best/hottest player right now. No way Hingis has to beat her only three months after her comeback.

"ONE YEAR"? Martina needs to adjust as fast as she can, and taking a year to do that isn't considered 'fast'.

I agree with Sam. The sooner Martina proves her worth, the more time she'll have to get back to the top. She'll be turning 26 in September and in tennis terms, that's not exactly young.

BEEILOVEYA
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:33 AM
Martina knows that she has defeated many TOP players in her comeback. Whatever you say about Myskina or Kuznetsova, they are a threat to any player out there. Kuznetsova recently defeated Mauresmo. Isn't that a good proof? I certainly won't be dissapointed if Marty loses today. She knows that it is still early and she knows the best if she can beat players like Mauresmo. And she knows she can. Just like she said many times: did she come back to be running behind at 20? NO. She is a top player capable of beating ANYONE and she will show that. She has already shown us that. Just have faith in her and don't put her under too much of a pressure. The main thing is that she remains healthy. Just wait and see when Martina will be beating these players all the time. WAIT.

Billabong
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
Martina knows that she has defeated many TOP players in her comeback. Whatever you say about Myskina or Kuznetsova, they are a threat to any player out there. Kuznetsova recently defeated Mauresmo. Isn't that a good proof? I certainly won't be dissapointed if Marty loses today. She knows that it is still early and she knows the best if she can beat players like Mauresmo. And she knows she can. Just like she said many times: did she come back to be running behind at 20? NO. She is a top player capable of beating ANYONE and she will show that. She has already shown us that. Just have faith in her and don't put her under too much of a pressure. The main thing is that she remains healthy. Just wait and see when Martina will be beating these players all the time. WAIT.

:worship::yeah:

ClaudiaZ-S
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:54 AM
Well, you could also say that Amélie needs to win against Martina, otherwise she would just prove everyone she only had a few weeks good run and some luck...
When you "dominate the tour" you can't afford losing to Ivanovic, Kuznetsova and Hingis in half the tournaments you played!

She won Oz, paris & Antwerp, Philadephia & Masters
Def. top 10: Pierce, Sharapova, Dementieva, Schnyder, Clijsters & Petrova while at the same time Hingis only def. Sharapova

Lucky Martina, you mean :rolleyes:

migi
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:59 AM
Do not dicuss this and that for much . Hingis will loose to Mauresmo this time for sure.

Mother_Marjorie
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
In other words, if she can beat Mauresmo, she can beat anyone on tour. That is, she has the potential win grand slams and be #1.

Oh, I disagree with that statement.

Its much different playing the top players at smaller tournaments than facing them at grand slam events. And while Amelie has been playing very well for the past three months, I wouldn't consider defeating Amelie as a benchmark for things to come.

Hingis hasn't won a grand slam event since the Australian Open 1999, and it will take MUCH more than defeating Amelie Mauresmo in an obscure tournament in the desert to break that grand slam drought. Hingis' potential for winning grand slam tournaments was much greater in 2002 than it is in 2006.

radics
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:46 AM
"ONE YEAR"? Martina needs to adjust as fast as she can, and taking a year to do that isn't considered 'fast'.

I agree with Sam. The sooner Martina proves her worth, the more time she'll have to get back to the top. She'll be turning 26 in September and in tennis terms, that's not exactly young.

Who says so? Yes I as a Hingis fan say ONE YEAR. I give her one year to adjust and get in best possible form. For those who don't like Hingis is it all about winning. I'm already more then just happy that she even came back. I hope she has a lot of fun out there and I'm almost scared how well she's doing already.

Kenny
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:48 AM
I hope Amelie woops up on some bootay! :)

Sam L
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:52 AM

Its much different playing the top players at smaller tournaments than facing them at grand slam events. And while Amelie has been playing very well for the past three months, I wouldn't consider defeating Amelie as a benchmark for things to come.

Hingis hasn't won a grand slam event since the Australian Open 1999, and it will take MUCH more than defeating Amelie Mauresmo in an obscure tournament in the desert to break that grand slam drought. Hingis' potential for winning grand slam tournaments was much greater in 2002 than it is in 2006.
Martina was injured and mentally washed up in 2002. Her memories of RG99 were still very much there.

Now she said herself this is a second career for her. A fresh beginning. She's in a much better position.

azmad_88
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:54 AM
go Martina!!! for watever reason...u just need this win. world number 2 player...if u can beat her...more confidence!!

borisy
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:58 AM
I guess Martina is more worried about power players and she is the type of player who can mentally challenge Amelie...

clark.kent
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
The way I see it Mauresmo cannot "crush" Hingis. But Hingis can "crush" Mauresmo. Mauresmo doesn't hit the required flat shots to pass Hingis on the baseline the way Lindsay or Serena could. She plays with extreme top-spin which Hingis doesn't mind at all. Mauresmo has become a strategy-based player, and strategy is Martina's strength. I think Hingis can crush Mauresmo because Mauresmo is still mentally fragile against Hingis at times. When they meet on the big occasions this fragility comes out. Big occasions meaning grand slams, but today is a big occasion obviously. Mauresmo has not forgotten the half-man comment and that gives Hingis a mental edge. Though like I said, Hingis matches up well with Mauresmo as she doesn't play like a power dictator despite her powerful build. ;)

griffin
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:11 PM

For either one of them, imo.

There's also the fact that Amelie's game is fairly different from the other top players, so being able to beat Amelie is no guarantee she'll be able to beat Lindsay, Kim, etc.

Whoever wins/loses, I think it's still fair to say Hingis' comeback is a work in progress. She's still getting back into it, and figuring out the tour, and the rest of the tour - including people like Amelie, who certainly remember her game but haven't had to play against it in years - are still trying to figure her out.

I will say that if I had Eurosport at home, I'd have called in sick today.

Kirt12255
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM
:wavey: Let's be honest here...within 6 months this thread will be turned around as to "How Amelie can beat Martina"....Hingis has the game to topple Mauresmo in this match....no pace and a smarter mind (IMO)...will see Hingis through.:wavey:

Brandon85
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:18 PM
i don't expect to hingis to win. i don't think she's ready yet. mauresmo is the best i think right now. martina needs a little more time.

hablo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:39 PM
I hope Amelie woops up on some bootay! :)
Ditto.

up!
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:51 PM
i hope martina'll win but i dout she'll.
however, if she wins, it doesn't mean she's able to win slams because to win a slam you have to beat 7 players on a row. and to be #1 you have to beat them all the time. in my opinion, right now, martina can be top 10 player but no more and i doubt she'll win a lot of tournaments. but i really hope she can win a lot and be #1.

cerbero
Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
Very important match for both, Amelie will have to prove sth today...

clark.kent
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:14 PM
I am precisely 100% sure that Martina Hingis will defeat Amelie :nerner:

franny
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:30 PM
To beat Mauresmo at this stage in her comeback and at the level that Mauresmo is playing right now is just unlikely. This is the should be number 1 and reigning grand slam champ. I'd say she needs to beat someone ranked 5-10 first, not someone ranked 2 and could be 1 in a bit.

Alecia Moore
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:46 PM

You rock! :yeah: That's totally what I was gonna say! :D

ezekiel
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:54 PM
To beat Mauresmo at this stage in her comeback and at the level that Mauresmo is playing right now is just unlikely. This is the should be number 1 and reigning grand slam champ. I'd say she needs to beat someone ranked 5-10 first, not someone ranked 2 and could be 1 in a bit.

Yes, Martina and her fans need to know their place and stop boasting and talking down on anyone els :) e

ezekiel
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:56 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :crazy: :cuckoo: :silly: :scratch: :spit:

ezekiel
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:59 PM
In my opinion, she will play the biggest match since her comeback.

This year she's only beaten one top ten player - Sharapova. This happened in their first meeting. Their second meeting a few weeks later, Sharapova won.

Firstly, Martina was, is and will always do well against lower ranked players. She's just not the type of player who loses to lower ranked players all the time. She's a consistent top player.

The question before was could she compete with the top players when they were on their game? Far too often, she was pipped at the finish line by these top players.

Yes, players like Schiavone, Kuznetsova, Myskina have been and can be seen as top players but they're not grand slam contenders right now.

Secondly, regarding her win over Sharapova, there have been suggestions that Maria was shocked at the way Hingis played and lost the first time but that she has now gotten used to her game. I refuse to believe this. But whatever, let's just say this is true. This means that Hingis needs a true top ten win over a player whom she has played numerous times before and a player in grand slam winning form.

Well... what better opportunity is there than to beat Mauresmo?

Looking at their head-to-heads, Mauresmo won the last two times they played. In Berlin and in Rome in 2001. This is almost 5 years ago.

But Hingis leads H2H 7-4.

If Martina can extend this to 8-4, she would've proven, she can:

2. Beat an old foe who knows her game well

Thoughts?

and when she loses will you shut up ? :cuckoo: :bs: :silly: :smash:

Wannabeknowitall
Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
I think its a load of bull sorry.
This match is actually more important to Mauresmo than Martina.
Shes has been playing like the top dawg but her biggest wins have been against an injured Justine and Kim and Mary Pierce.
She needs to see how her game plays against a healthy player who she has had issues against in her career.
This will be a very nice step in the right direction from Mauresmo.
Another step for Mauresmo is finally figuring out that Indian Wells will never be a good tourni for her.
She is finally setting herself up for the top ranking for awhile.
Martina right now just has to figure out what will work and what wont work against the top players she played 4 years ago. Its pretty difficult to expect Martina to just come back against players who have obviously matured and expect the same results.
It was the main reason she wanted to play Maria. It was because Maria never played her game and because Martina figured her out a while ago.
Once she does have a better gameplan against these top players, more top 10 wins will happen.
For now, its just see where there are still weaknesses in their game and hope for a win.

clark.kent
Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :rolls: :rolls: :rolls: :crazy: :cuckoo: :silly: :scratch: :spit:

:inlove: i'm proud to say i support tina 100% through thick and thin :hearts:

hablo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:30 PM
See what a non-player player can do ? :devil:

:worship: bravo Momo !!!!!!!!!!!!! :bowdown:
6-2 6-2 pure domination :D:banana:

Yasmine
Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:30 PM
you were saying? :devil: :lol:

hablo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
:haha::nerner::haha::rolls:

clark.kent
Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:37 PM
:inlove: if martina goes down, i like to go down too :hearts:

griffin
Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:50 PM
:inlove: if martina goes down, i like to go down too :hearts:

so many inappropriate responses, so little time :haha:

(nothing wrong with being a fan, ilMH ;) )

bellascarlett
Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:52 PM
I think its a load of bull sorry.
This match is actually more important to Mauresmo than Martina.
Shes has been playing like the top dawg but her biggest wins have been against an injured Justine and Kim and Mary Pierce.
She needs to see how her game plays against a healthy player who she has had issues against in her career.
This will be a very nice step in the right direction from Mauresmo.
Another step for Mauresmo is finally figuring out that Indian Wells will never be a good tourni for her.
She is finally setting herself up for the top ranking for awhile.
Martina right now just has to figure out what will work and what wont work against the top players she played 4 years ago. Its pretty difficult to expect Martina to just come back against players who have obviously matured and expect the same results.
It was the main reason she wanted to play Maria. It was because Maria never played her game and because Martina figured her out a while ago.
Once she does have a better gameplan against these top players, more top 10 wins will happen.
For now, its just see where there are still weaknesses in their game and hope for a win.

:yeah: