PDA

View Full Version : Amazing stat/fact from Martina Hingis in 2006...

spencercarlos
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:43 PM
She has proved all the naysayers and haters wrong.. as she has beaten 3 Grand Slam Champions from 2004, in straight sets nonetheless, and stretched Kim Clijsters to 6-4 in the third in just her third tournament back.
All of this players considered bigger hitters than Martina, that would/should handle Martina´s thinking game with ease.

:worship:

Biggest wins 2006
Maria Sharapova. 2004 Wimbledon, Masters Champion
Anastasia Myskina. 2004 Roland Garros Champion
Svetlana Kuznetsova. 2004 Usopen Champion.

Great wins 2006
Francesca Schiavone. 11 ranked player in the world. Has had a great 2006.
Natalie Dechy. 20 in the world at the time Martina beat her but she was 12 ranked the week before and was a Semifinalist at the Australian Open 2005.
Vera Zvonareva. Former top ten player in 2004, and had a good start of the year before playing Hingis.

Honestly speaking i never expected Martina to be winning against these players at this stage, i though it would take her much long time to get used to today´s game, but she has proved why she once was ranked number one and that her game is as good to compete with today´s players.

Martian Stacey
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:45 PM
:worship: Her comeback so far has just been awesome! :D I hope she does well against Amelie! :bounce:

alwayshingis
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:45 PM
:banana:

Bring on Amelie!

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:47 PM
what a GREAT comeback. reminds me of clijsters last year.

louisa2k2
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:49 PM
wow its amazing come on marti :D :bounce: so great to have her back!

felipe2004
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:55 PM
what a GREAT comeback. reminds me of clijsters last year.
Even tough I like Hings very much, that is not true. Clijsters's one was much better: she won Tier I Indian Wells and Miami in her 2nd and 3rd tournament back. However, Clijsters had been less than one year away, so you've got to take tthat into consideration. Because then you'd have to count Henin-Hardenne too, whose comeback was even more impressive, winning Tier I Charleston, Tier II Warsaw, Tier I Berlin and GS Roland Garros as her 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th tournament back ;)

Barlos
Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:45 AM
Don't forget Martina's 6-2 6-1 demolition of Maria Kirilenko in Tokyo :)

RJWCapriati
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:26 AM
I certainly did not expect her to be playing like this in December. She is doing wonderful , so nice to have her back!! :wavey:

spencercarlos
Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:22 AM
Even tough I like Hings very much, that is not true. Clijsters's one was much better: she won Tier I Indian Wells and Miami in her 2nd and 3rd tournament back. However, Clijsters had been less than one year away, so you've got to take tthat into consideration. Because then you'd have to count Henin-Hardenne too, whose comeback was even more impressive, winning Tier I Charleston, Tier II Warsaw, Tier I Berlin and GS Roland Garros as her 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th tournament back ;)
In 2004 Clijsters was RU at a Grand Slam event, and in 2003 Kim was number one in the world. We are talking about a player that was 3 years retired and her last best tennis way back in early 2002. To get this results is simply amazing!

Billabong
Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:40 AM

Yes, but Martina hadn't played in nearly 4 years, so it's much more special:)

Alicia Rocks
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:03 AM
Martina :worship:

hdfb
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:23 AM
Don't get me wrong, Hingis is one of my top two favourite players, and her results have been almost phenomenal, but I'd like to say she beat those three former champions when they were playing nowhere near their best.

Randriantastic!
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:08 AM
Martina's done great, but I would say that wins over Dechy and Zvonareva would be more than expected. ;)

spencercarlos
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:35 AM
Don't get me wrong, Hingis is one of my top two favourite players, and her results have been almost phenomenal, but I'd like to say she beat those three former champions when they were playing nowhere near their best.
Well don´t get me wrong but first its not like these players were great in 2004 and now are out of the top 20 like Zvonareva is slumping for example. Sharapova is playing at a pretty good level and has been semifinalist in 4 of the last 5 GS played. Myskina is ranked 12 in the world and she is coming from playing a great second half of the year last year, top ten tennis perhaps, which she will get in soon if she continues to play this consistent as she has little points to defend pretty much until Wimbledon.
Kuznetsova she is ranked 14 in the world right now, last week she beat Mauresmo, and this year she is 11-3 with her worst performance being the 4th round loss to Davenport at the Australian Open, so she is playing much better tennis at this moment than she was last year. Sure, they are not GS champions at this point, but its not like they are losing and slumping at this moment, they have been pretty consistent on the last six months and their results show. For Martina to be beating this players as you said its phenomenal.

Donald
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:26 AM
She has proved all the naysayers and haters wrong.. as she has beaten 3 Grand Slam Champions from 2004, in straight sets nonetheless, and stretched Kim Clijsters to 6-4 in the third in just her third tournament back.
All of this players considered bigger hitters than Martina, that would/should handle Martina´s thinking game with ease.

Biggest wins 2006
Maria Sharapova. 2004 Wimbledon, Masters Champion
Anastasia Myskina. 2004 Roland Garros Champion
Svetlana Kuznetsova. 2004 Usopen Champion.

Great wins 2006
Francesca Schiavone. 11 ranked player in the world. Has had a great 2006.
Natalie Dechy. 20 in the world at the time Martina beat her but she was 12 ranked the week before and was a Semifinalist at the Australian Open 2005.
Vera Zvonareva. Former top ten player in 2004, and had a good start of the year before playing Hingis.

Honestly speaking i never expected Martina to be winning against these players at this stage, i though it would take her much long time to get used to today´s game, but she has proved why she once was ranked number one and that her game is as good to compete with today´s players.

It is a big myth that "today's game" is any better than in 1997-01 when Hingis had her best years. Graf, Novotna, Sanchez have retired, Serena and Venus are only a shadow of their former selves, Mauresmo and Davenport are, well, still Mauresmo and Davenport, those Schiavone, Schnyder and Dechy types the same second tier crop as they had 5, 10 years ago. The Russians still a widely overrated (won slams in the abysmal 2004 year). Only really new forces are Henin and Clijsters who sadly are injured or ill very often.
So it's no surprise for me that Hingis has this success currently. I expect her to be among the top 10 after the French Open and at least top 5 after U.S. Open. When players like Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Myskina and Mauresmo can win slams today then Hingis can do that, too.

Donald

Munchen
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:29 AM
Martina :yeah:

She has REAL talent, thats the key. :hug:

bailey
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:38 AM
It is a big myth that "today's game" is any better than in 1997-01 when Hingis had her best years.

I agree. I never believed all this talk about how womens tennis has improved over the last few years. I always thought (also before Martina came back) that womens tennis is far away from the level of 99-01.

Maybe there is more depth, but that's probably just because there's no Lindsay/Venus/Serena/Martina/Jennifer on their A-game anymore...:confused:

Donald
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:43 AM
I agree. I never believed all this talk about how womens tennis has improved over the last few years. I always thought (also before Martina came back) that womens tennis is far away from the level of 99-01.

Maybe there is more depth, but that's probably just because there's no Lindsay/Venus/Serena/Martina/Jennifer on their A-game anymore...:confused:

On average players hit harder today. But this is mostly because of different racket equipment. Today's rackets prove more speed while retaining almost the same control as the 1980/90ies rackets. Sadly the art of playing tennis has almost vanished. Did you watch Sharapova try some drop shots recently. Sad .... (and she is a slam winner!).

Donald

BEEILOVEYA
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:37 AM
This is Martina's year. She will be back in the top 10 soon you will see.

Libertango
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:47 AM
Martina is surprising everyone, including herself!! I hope she beats Amelie later today! :D

Mother_Marjorie
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:51 AM
You know, I never quite understood the big deal about Hingis. Historically, she's average.

Carmen Mairena
Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:04 PM

borisy
Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:07 PM

Sorry but anything you write, even if 100% true, can be discredited due to that nickname :lol:

BEEILOVEYA
Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
You know, I never quite understood the big deal about Hingis. Historically, she's average.

oh yeah for sure..then other players and below average i guess.