PDA

View Full Version : Out Of Myskina, Sharapova, & Kuznetsova, Who Had The Most Surprising Grand Slam Run?

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:46 PM
In 2004 these three talented Russians made their mark on tennis. Now who, in your opinion, had the most surprising grand slam victory? For me I'd have to say Myskina, I still can't believe that she won the french....

also, who out of the three will win their next major? sharapova, i'd say without a doubt. i don't think myskina will ever win another one, i'm sure kuznetsova could win a few more. look forward to hearing your input:)

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060301/capt.doh10203011527.wta_qatar_tennis_open_doh102.j pg

http://www.maria-sharapova.me.uk/graphics/gallery/maria_sharapova_nip_slip_maria.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060302/capt.doh11403022031.wta_qatar_total_open_2006_doh1 14.jpg

skindeep
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:54 PM
most suprising, myskina. cause lena played like shit in the final... or kuznetsova, for the same reason

maria will will many more GSs

crazyroberto6767
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:07 PM
They were all pretty surprising in their own ways. Myskina winning a slam wasn't as shocking as her winning it at RG. She was a top-5 player going into RG, but most of her best results were not on clay. I think she won only 1 (?) match on clay that year not at RG. Sharapova's was pretty shocking in that she had only beaten 1 (? again I'm not sure) top-10 player before winning Wimbledon. She had won a grass court tune-up before, but it wasn't packed full of potential Wimby champions. Sveta's was semi-shocking because her hard-court form over the summer wasn't as good as it was in the stretch of tournaments were in now. She had a good Olympics though, losing to Momo in the quarters, so it wasn't too surprising. None of the players truly came out of nowhere to win, at least IMO.
As for who will win their next major, I would say it's between Sveta and Sharapova. I say Sveta because I honestly believe she has a shot at RG this year. She's taken the past 2 champions to 8-6 in the third in their championships runs, and I feel she's getting back into form mentally and physically now. As for Maria, I think it's obvious why she would be a choice to win another major son. As for Nastya, she's a tricky one. At her best, she's definitely one of the best, but at her worst, oh man. I think she'll win another one in her time, although that's not a popular opinion around here.

bandabou
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:08 PM
Don't know about fluke...but Maria seems the one most likely to add to her major total.

Davenselesport
most surprising was Myskina, who started it all for the Russians
most inspiring was Sharapova definitely... we heard a lot about her before she won it

SvetaPleaseWin.
myskina was the most surprising shes a great player (when confident) but she got very lucky

in 4th round she saved match point against sveta (who hasnt done that :rolleyes:), then venus played a poor match, then capriati played even worse and elena well...best not to mention that performance

i reckon sharapova and kuzy will win more slams in the future-i'm picking sveta to win the french this year :D

SvetaPleaseWin.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:09 PM
They were all pretty surprising in their own ways. Myskina winning a slam wasn't as shocking as her winning it at RG. She was a top-5 player going into RG, but most of her best results were not on clay. I think she won only 1 (?) match on clay that year not at RG. Sharapova's was pretty shocking in that she had only beaten 1 (? again I'm not sure) top-10 player before winning Wimbledon. She had won a grass court tune-up before, but it wasn't packed full of potential Wimby champions. Sveta's was semi-shocking because her hard-court form over the summer wasn't as good as it was in the stretch of tournaments were in now. She had a good Olympics though, losing to Momo in the quarters, so it wasn't too surprising. None of the players truly came out of nowhere to win, at least IMO.
As for who will win their next major, I would say it's between Sveta and Sharapova. I say Sveta because I honestly believe she has a shot at RG this year. She's taken the past 2 champions to 8-6 in the third in their championships runs, and I feel she's getting back into form mentally and physically now. As for Maria, I think it's obvious why she would be a choice to win another major son. As for Nastya, she's a tricky one. At her best, she's definitely one of the best, but at her worst, oh man. I think she'll win another one in her time, although that's not a popular opinion around here.

:worship:

fOxYLiCiOuS
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
Anastasia

miffedmax
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
In all honesty, I had a sense Nastya was going to do well in 2004 and I was only slightly surprised to see her take the FO. She also admittedly benefited from injuries to other players and the fact that Lena D. put in the second worse GS Final performance of the 21st century, but she was a hot player for the entire year, witness her performance at Fed Cup, two Tier I titles and good runs at all 4 slams. I don't think Nastya is likely to win another major, but I suspect she will pick up enough Tier I and II titles before she retires that people won't regard her as a total fluke, but as a Top 15 player who had a good streak just when she needed it.

Masha went into Wimbledon with a game that was made for grass and two huge confidence building victories. For all the crap she's taken about not winning a 2nd slam, the fact is that she's made it to the semis and quarters of every slam since. She will win more majors. It's only a matter of time.

Which leaves Kuzzy. Her two weeks at the US Open were phenomenal, but I don't think anyone expected her to win it, even as a darkhorse. Really, it looked to me that her hot streak was ending in the finals--she was awesome in the first set, but by the second set she was looking very mortal against an injured Lena D. (I will believe until my dying day that a healthy Lena wins that second set and goes on to win the third). Kuzzy was a non-factor in Fed Cup play and hasn't had much luck since the U.S. Open (she just got dismantled by Hingis this week). Kuzzy is a good athlete, but even more inconsistent than Lena or Nastya and gets my vote for the luckiest one-slam wonder of the decade. So far anyway.

Piotr'ek
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
http://www.maria-sharapova.me.uk/graphics/gallery/maria_sharapova_nip_slip_maria.jpg

Nipple
:hearts: :drool: :drool: :drool:

tennisjay
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:43 PM
Maria, because she has less skill than the other two.

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:35 PM
most suprising, myskina. cause lena played like shit in the final... or kuznetsova, for the same reason

maria will will many more GSs

we agree on something!!!! hahahaha *hug*:eek: :bounce:

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:36 PM
Nipple

OMFG, i didn't even notice that, i swear. i searched for images under yahoo and it came up as one of the top ones, i guess i know why now. hahaha sorry if i offended anyone by posting it, but i didn't even notice hahahaha:lol: :lol: :lol:

MH0861
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:38 PM
Myskina - who expected her to beat Venus Williams and Jennifer Capriati easily at the time? She opened up the door for the Russians, so Kuznetsova winning didn't surprise me as much.

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:39 PM
myskina beat Capriati?!? i did not know that...

Dan23
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:39 PM
OMFG, i didn't even notice that, i swear. i searched for images under yahoo and it came up as one of the top ones, i guess i know why now. hahaha sorry if i offended anyone by posting it, but i didn't even notice hahahaha:lol: :lol: :lol:
:bs: :bs: :bs: :p

MH0861
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
myskina beat Capriati?!? i did not know that...

Yes, 6-2 6-2 in the Semifinals! Jennifer had been the favorite of the semifinalists for the title!

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:55 PM
she beat her 6-2, 6-2?!? that is fucking incredible....wow. for some reason i did not know that, well props to her then lol

Eldoth Kron
Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:19 AM
shapie :haha:

Mightymirza
Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:31 AM
i think sharapova...It was just soo unexpected..Myskina was at least top 5...Kuznetsova was shocking too but sharapovas wimby victory was just like a fairy tale must say incredible..

Derek.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:40 AM
All three have qualities to win this "award"...

Myskina because she totally owned her last few opponents and that winner she hit vs. JCap on mp! :worship:

Sharapova because she was totally possessed in that final. :bowdown:

Kuznetsova because like no one thought she'd win. :p

bellascarlett
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:10 AM
Nipple

Omg the things that people notice on this board! :o :lol: I never noticed this and I barely even see anything now.

RJWCapriati
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:22 AM
I would say Myskina - her record on clay is not good at all. It was a great effort and fight to win it though!! Quarter-finals and on she dominated!! :yeah:

Mark Spruce
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:24 AM
Myskina

morningglory
Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:21 AM
Maria was the dark horse, until I saw the 2nd half of her match against Lindsay... then I saw Serena VS Amelie and I just knew Maria was gonna win the final.

Lemonskin.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:20 AM
Myskina... she was almost beaten by ALICIA MOLIK in the first round :o anyone who almost loses to Alicia on clay should not be winning any clay titles :p

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:08 AM
i think its obvious its not maria she has maintained a top 5 ranking since she got there. at the time i would have said kuznetsova but now its been a few years im saying Myskina

:inlove:
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:29 AM
I'd have to say Myskina, cos her record on clay was not that great, and she had a pretty tough draw, and no Russian had ever won a GS before (I think :p ). Maria winning was sooo inspirational though, but I kinda thought she'd make the 1/4s or maybe semis, so it wasn't the biggest surprise of my life. ;)

As for who will win another GS, I'd say Maria has a shot at Wimbledon, and then, if she waits a while, I think she could win AO, W AND UO in 2007 :D :worship: ,and, if Kuznetsova also waits a year or two, I think she could win AO and RG. :angel:

Jeff
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:05 AM
For me it is Kuznetsova, because when she won I was like...uh Kuznetsova actually one the U.S. Open? Not like in a bad way, just I didn't expect her to win and I'm not a fan so her victory wasn't special to me either.

Myskina definetly unexpected, but I love Myskina and her style of play and I knew her moment would come. The french was definetly her shining point, showed her craftiness in her defeats over Venus and Capriati. I was more excited than surprised for her.

Sam L
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:11 AM
Kuznetsova.

French Open produces a lot of surprise winners and Myskina is European. I wasn't that surprised.

Sharapova. I wasn't as surprised because I knew she'd win a slam one day, I just didn't think she would so soon.

Kuznetsova, however, won the US Open where the favourites almost always win. Also, she was not a talked about Russian and she really came from nowhere.

vutt
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:26 AM
Myskina indeed!
Reasons are very well already laid out here...

borisy
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Myskina because simply she's not that good and sheĝll never win another major. The others have a chance.

Kenny
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Sharapova..

Cashif
Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:04 PM
Kuznetsova was the most surprising and she came from nowhere.. Myskina played well in FO and deserved to win, while Maria was just awesome(especially in the final):bowdown:

Future Champ : Maria :worship:

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
i think sharapova...It was just soo unexpected..Myskina was at least top 5...Kuznetsova was shocking too but sharapovas wimby victory was just like a fairy tale must say incredible..

that is true....:cool:

miffedmax
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:58 PM
On my list of reasons why I picked Kuzzy, I forgot to mention that, unlike Nasty, Kuzzy has a losing record against Lena D.

serenafan08
Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:14 PM
I'd have to say Maria's because of the way she did it. Beating a six-time Slam champ 6-1 6-4 in the finals??? That shocked the hell out of me. I mean, Myskina came out of nowhere to win Roland Garros and Kuzzie did the same at the US Open, but they didn't shock anyone the way Maria did. I was floored after she won Wimbledon.

selyoink
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:10 PM
I think Myskina was the most surprising. She is not a good clay court player. She had only won one prior match at RG before taking the title that year. She played a great two weeks of clay court tennis.

Kuznetsova winning the USO didn't really surprise me. I thought whoever won the quarterfinal match between her and Justine was going to win the title. Of course it turned out to be Petrova but I still thought the winner of that match was going to take the title. Especially if it was Kuznetsova. We all know Petrova would have choked.

Sharapova's title while surprising wasn't a huge surprise. She had a pretty easy draw until the semi-finals. Frazier in the 4th and Sugiyama in the quarters. She had just made the quarters at the French Open also. She was confident and is one of the top grass court players.

For me Myskina's title was definitely the most surprising. I just hope she can do it again some time but I doubt it.

gmak
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:43 PM
definitely nastya

i am certain maria will win more, and sveta has a good shot at another one

Helen Lawson
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:47 PM
I'd go with Sharapova. In my mind, she beat a better quality of players who were playing better and therefore, that's more surprising because she was very young and didn't get too many breaks or luck. Serena Williams in a Wimbledon final! Yikes! Myskina got a half-baked Venus and a flat Capriati--though not her fault certainly. Svetlana got injured Lin-See and Lena D.

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:49 PM
still give her credit for beating capriati AND venus....the girl hadn't won hardly any clay court matches and did that, how awesome.

Experimentee
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Myskina, as she'd never been a great clay player and never been past the 2nd round of RG before.

Sharapova was not that surprising as she was a good grass player who was always dangerous on her day.

Kuznetsova was surprising, but she was in excellent form, and had beaten many top players that year on hardcourt.

Craigy
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Myskina for sure

Orion
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Myskina, definitely. She hasn't had good results at Roland Garros in her entire career, and then she puts together a title run.

Of the three, I think Kuznetsova is the likeliest to win a slam on each surface, just because Myskina can't serve on grass, and Sharapova can't run on clay.

selyoink
Mar 4th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Myskina, definitely. She hasn't had good results at Roland Garros in her entire career, and then she puts together a title run.

Of the three, I think Kuznetsova is the likeliest to win a slam on each surface, just because Myskina can't serve on grass, and Sharapova can't run on clay.

For someone who you say can't run on clay she has done pretty well in her caeer at RG. Not saying she is a great clay court player but she has made the quarterfinals two years in a row. Its not like she is inept on clay.

Filippo-Nastya
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Svetlana's victory was the most surprising because in that period Lindsay seemed unbeatable. She had won a lot of tourneys before the US Open, only a stupid injury before the semis vs Sveta was able to stop her.

manu32
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:49 PM
kustnestsova i suppose but johansson on atp tour is the big deal

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:52 PM
kustnestsova i suppose but johansson on atp tour is the big deal

what do U mean, i'm confused

Reuchlin
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Kuznetsova's and Sharapova's wins came earlier than expect, but at least they were expected. Myskina was never expected to challenge for slams.

njnetswill
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Myskina. That really came out of nowhere, even though she was ranked pretty high at the time. Sharapova and Kuznetsova were far from expected as well. Heck, all of them were :eek: .

Rub
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:42 AM
right... it must be myskina.. and kuzzie follows cloesely... both haven't showed a grand slam winner performance for thelongest time...