PDA

View Full Version : Real encounter with a player

pascalre
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:26 PM
What was your nicest real encounter with a player at a tournament?

Which tournament and why was it nice?

skindeep
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:30 PM
i went to RG in 2001, i got hingis' and schett's autograph, they were nice

i also saw venus, and let me tell u, she didnt smell too good...

Maryamator
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:31 PM
amelie mauresmo this year dubai open so kind! always smiling having fun after her loss i asked for a picture and she was like sure and had a big smile.

LoveFifteen
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Marat Safin and I made love ... :hearts:

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:06 PM
amelie mauresmo this year dubai open so kind! always smiling having fun after her loss i asked for a picture and she was like sure and had a big smile.

post the picture, i would LOVE to see it!!!!:bounce:

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:42 PM
The nicest were Tansugarn, Peschke, Farina Elia and Jidkova.

Tamarine was like 'of course I can sign on autograph, it would be my pleasure' and put a big smile and said your welcome to me at Wimbledon 2004.

Kveta seemed shocked someone knew her name and said 'Of course I can sign it' Wimbledon 2005

Silvia was amazing when I told her, I was was here biggest fan and gave her a poster and told her about my website for her and said I will visit and its nice to know I have fans Wimbledon 2005

Alina always signs autographs for people win or lose. In Toronto last year after her doubles match, I asked for her towel and she gave it to me and signed it!!!

I have to say the older players have ALOT for respect for their fans and appreciate the support. The younger ones have been right bitches

Prizeidiot
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:32 PM
Dementieva was a nice one, which is why I started supporting her. Kim is also very nice, she'll actually talk to you while signing or doing photos or whatever.

Also Barbara Schett. I was sitting next to her once while watching Patty play, and during the change of end breaks, she was happy to sign things for everyone.

And on the men's side, I guess Woodbridge and Bjorkman. After their hit up, they hung around for 15 minutes, signing everything and posing for photos with everyone who asked.

Cat in the hat
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Ipek Senoglu smiled and said hello to me and my friend at an itf tournament in London once. She then went on to win the tournament :)

champion88
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
Lindsay is very nice- Wimbledon 2004
Venus is a right bitch- Wimbledon 2005
Bob Bryan is great guy- Wimbledon 2004
Martina Navratilova did autograph but wasn't very nice- Wimbledon 2004
Lisa Raymond is sooooo sweet and lovely- Wimbledon 2005

:)

Wiggly
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:39 PM
Iveta, Callens, Sequera are nice girl :)

Derek.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:42 PM
In Miami 2005 I got a lot of autographs, but the nicest players were Dementieva, Ivanovic, and Vaidisova. :cool:

I also ran into Martina N and she was like "watch it kid!" :lol:

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:27 PM
Well the nicest player is for sure Stephanie Dubois, she is very social, so sweet, very friendly, she always smiles and is always happy :D I love her!

I also had the chance to meet Ana I, she was also very sweet, took a pic with her and all. Her doubles team with Steph was the friendliset ever!

Also met Sharon Fichman in Toronto, she was such a lil cutie, very innocent, very naive, very sweet, she waved at me each time she saw me during the tourney!

Jamea Jackson and Vilmarie Castellvi were both very nice in Quebec City. They both were always smiling and with Laura, Shenay and Abigail they were the *in* group at the tourney. All very nice girls!

Daniela Hantuchova and Marie-Eve Pelletier were both very sweet, but it was not normal, i was the one who wasn't shy, the two players looked very shy but so sweet as well.

And then there were some players that weren't that friendly, but I'll keep them to myself ;)

skindeep
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:31 PM
well, im glad someone else met venus and realize how mean she is

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:53 PM

what exactly did Venus do? just wondering.
what is lindsay like in person besides "very nice?":)

sebbe
Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:03 AM
A friend and I met Kata Srebotnik last year in stockholm. She was really nice, gladly took pictures with us and was smiling and talking to us during the whole tounament.

RJWCapriati
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:30 AM
I've only been to an exhibition. It was Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish playing singles. Also, the Bryan brothers were there playing some locals, I got Mardy's and the Bryan's autographs, it was a nice time :)

Can't wait to see a woman's match though - I was desperate to see some pro tennis when I saw that exhibition!! :lol:

Mark Spruce
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:52 AM
Wimbledon 1999, I got Steffi's Autography twice and she was so kind, and also got Andre's as well.

Mark

DutchieGirl
Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:32 AM
AO quallies 2005 - got Misa's autograph and gave her a b'day pressie (had read in the paper that her dad gave her nothing :awww: ), and Hobart 06 - got a hug from Misa coz I gave her another pressie! :D

Maryamator
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:08 AM
post the picture, i would LOVE to see it!!!!:bounce:
i have it on my cell phone:( is there a way? im not really good with cell phones:p

seles, davenport
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:16 AM

Yeah, I can just get that vibe that Lindsay and Lisa are really nice women. I don't know what it is, but I could just tell they would be. Also, what did Venus do, and how wasn't Martina nice? I'm not trying to make an argument or anything, just asking.

Randriantastic!
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:34 AM
AO quallies 2005 - got Misa's autograph and gave her a b'day pressie (had read in the paper that her dad gave her nothing :awww: ), and Hobart 06 - got a hug from Misa coz I gave her another pressie! :D

If you're not under 12, I'm jealous. :p

Dally was pretty nice to me this year, Justine on the other hand was her usual non-affable self... but she was sorta sweet when she gave her extra bottle of water to some girl who got really excited - Justine smiled at her. A smile, people, a smile.

Kuzy was also pleasant when she gave me her autograph. Oh, and Nicole wasn't very nice, but I was the only one who got my book signed after her practice session so I felt quite special. :D

Anyway, this has totally turned into a which-players-have-you-met rant, so I'll stop now. :o

CooCooCachoo
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:41 AM
Carly Gullickson, Rosmalen 2004

Absolute sweetheart :hearts: So sweet and friendly, talked to her for a few minutes. Great accent :lol: Absolutely a great girl!

Aravane Rezai, Rosmalen 2005

Another great girl! Was positively shocked that someone knew her (she was not in tennis apparel either), so I said she played well against Sharapova ;) She was even more surprised :lol: I asked for her autograph and she signed and then later asked if she could look in my autograph book and she looked at all my autographs :haha: Also, everytime she jogged by, she smiled and waved at me :hearts:

Maria Elena Camerin, Rosmalen 2005

If a player gives you a player's guest pass, I can do nothing but adore her :angel: Very feisty on court, so sweet off court.

Ludmila Cervanova, Rosmalen 2004

I kept pestering her about where Katarina Srebotnik was and she was really friendly :angel: I felt kind of bad :haha: But Ludmila is really sweet, I think, though I heard bad stories from other people :shrug:

Mike_T
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:05 AM
I had a slightly embarrassing encounter with Iroda. I was on the fifteenth floor, waiting for the lift, the doors open, there’s Iroda. She says "are you going down?". The next thing I know I’m in the local cop shop on a sexual assault charge. :o

Hachiko
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:19 AM
Jarmilla Gajdosova ($25K Gosford, 2006)

Very chatty, down to earth! Congratulated her on her title, she was really, really happy and it was great to see.

Melinda Czink (Australian Open 2004)

I congratulated her on her Canberra final, she seemed both quite shocked and overwhelmed that I knew her name and who she was.

Jie Zheng (Australian Open 2004)

Saw her in the morning warming up with Zi and Tian-Tian, she was ever so sweet when she looked at me. I got her autograph again (I actually sat right next to her) when she was watching Na Li vs. Laura Granville.

Vera Zvonareva (Sydney/Medibank International 2003)

Just seemed very calm and relaxed, contradictive of what I see of her the rest of the time. She has a great simile and was friendly after I waited about 40 mins under the sun for her autograph lol.

Lindsay Davenport (Sydney/Medibank International)

Back in 2000 or 2001 or so, had a conversation with her in Sydney because my pen ran out when she was signing lol.

Srebotnik, Fedak, Hantuchova, Dushevina, Gubacsi, Chladkova, Ferguson and Maleeva were also really nice aswell.

"Sluggy"
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Players are always nice if you show them respect.

eck
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:21 AM
Aussie Open
2006:
I asked Nicole Vaidisova for an autograph on my tennis ball, and she was joking that my tennis ball had no space for her autograph, but she still signed it. :)
Franny was nice too, I had to chase her down to get her autograph. :P
Emilie Loit gave me a tennis ball during training for her match with Serena.
I saw Kim C at Xavier Malisse's match against Thomas Johansson, where I sat a few seats away in the row behind her. She was nice to apologise cause she came in late and she had to walk past our crowded seats. I got her autograph earlier though. :)
I saw Justine training maybe around 4 times. The first time I saw her, she said she would sign more autographs after her 1st round match against Marta. But yea, I did get it. :)

2005:
I asked Bob or Mike Bryan for their towels, but they said they wanted it. :P
I also asked for Marat's broken racquet in the match against Oli Rochus but he said he had to give it to charity. :lol:

Trying to remember if there's anyone else. :P

DutchieGirl
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:23 AM
If you're not under 12, I'm jealous. :p

uhh definetely NOT under 12! :p (at least double that). :p

DutchieGirl
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Aravane Rezai, Rosmalen 2005

Another great girl! Was positively shocked that someone knew her (she was not in tennis apparel either), so I said she played well against Sharapova ;) She was even more surprised :lol: I asked for her autograph and she signed and then later asked if she could look in my autograph book and she looked at all my autographs :haha: Also, everytime she jogged by, she smiled and waved at me :hearts:

Maria Elena Camerin, Rosmalen 2005

If a player gives you a player's guest pass, I can do nothing but adore her :angel: Very feisty on court, so sweet off court.

these 2 I can vouch for - was there when both happened! ;)

LostGlory
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:01 AM
I've talked to many players....I found a few very special

Kim-I met her on a bad day and she was so friendly, we chatted for like 3 minutes then i asked her for a few Autographs.....very sweet, very humble I liked her alot....

Anastasia-I met her after a very long day wearing flip flops and her truck suit rolled up to her knees because it was raining, she was walking with her coach....her english is a little weak.....

Zvonerva- she doesn't talk much and she avoids eye contact.

Elena Dementieva-she is gorgeous, sweet friendly but a little cold blooded.

Kuznetsova- Bad, Bad Bad english, but a sweetheart, Very friendly...

Venus- not very friendly but I saw her after a bad loss, her father is over frindly though ...

seles, davenport
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:06 AM
Has anyone met Jennifer? If so, what's she like?

*Jool*
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:32 AM
A friend and I met Kata Srebotnik last year in stockholm. She was really nice, gladly took pictures with us and was smiling and talking to us during the whole tounament.

Thats' my Kata :hearts:

Why I only met three, let's say 4. (RG 05)

-Husarova , lovely , she was sweet , she may not have been expecting someone to call at her ;) she felt a bit surprised.She was very cute , we talked about her injury that took her off court for a few weeks , and abt doubles , I asked her if she were gonna play with Conchita as usual etc , and wished them good luck-I also took a pic of her- was great :D

- Paola Suarez - nice nice nice - only took a pic with her and wished her good luck with Vivi for doubles

-Arantxa Parra Santonja was really nice too, seemed surprise abt me wanting to take a pic with her :lol: , I was talking to her in Spanish but I think she answered in French :lol: I have to work on my accent I guess :retard:

-Sania Mirza : I only saw her a few seconds actually but I called at her , she turned back , I wished her good luck (tho I wanted Dulko to win that day) , she neither smiled nor answerd and followed her way :tape:

drive-volley
Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:36 PM
well, im glad someone else met venus and realize how mean she is
I dunno about your encounter, but I also met her and she was oh-sooo nice! She was smiling all the time while chatting with me, it felt like she was a girl next door :) . I know two girls who asked her during her practice session to play with them for a while and she agreed. They had a real fun with her.

It all might depend on the attitude of someone who asks the player for something...

pinkfrog
Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:58 PM
i went to new haven last year for the qualies and gisela dulko was practising with her brother on a court and she let me watch the whole time, i think she was out there for at least 45 minutes, then she came over and signed my big yellow ball and her page in the wta/atp guide. i talked to her a little bit in spanish and she seemed to like that, then i wished her good luck in spanish:)

Vamos
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:48 PM
María Sánchez Lorenzo :angel: asked me if I would like to do her website....
What else could I do then say yes ;)

Vamos María!!!

-VSR-
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
Yeah I am thinking that people who said that Venus was a "bitch" were probably not at all respectable to her or maybe they are making it all up. I wouldn't put it past "skindeep" at all. :rolleyes:

-sugi-
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:59 PM
Anne Kremer, Antwerp 2006
Her match against Birnerova finished late and I was one of the few people still there and was really happy when she signed as I walked along the long exit to Centre Court, she was jogging to her car and said Hi to me :D :cool:

Shinobu Asagoe, Strasbourg 2005
I went to Strasbourg with my uncle for one day when I lived in France and my uncle was going to many weeks of tennis in spring. I saw Shinobu looking at the mobile phones at the phone booth and I approached her and told her how much I really liked her and she was really friendly to me :)

Other nice ones, um... Ivanovic, Benesova, Beygelzimer, Razzano, Savchuk, Zi

-sugi-
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:02 PM
also very nice, Vakulenko :)

Stamp Paid
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:04 PM

LMFAO, whats a right bitch? :lol::lol:

Geisha
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:09 PM
I went to the Rogers Cup with Jahrim and Daffodil this year. It was a great experience.

Martina Navratilova - Hilarious. She is very entertaining and interacts with the crowd. When she was practicing her volleys, the ball came to where I was standing and as she walked towards me, I asked "Martina, can you teach me how to volley!" and she replied, "Depends, how much money do you have?" The crowd laughed a great deal.

Sesil Karatancheva - Such a cute girl. She was saying things like, "Never give up. I never thought I could make it here and look where I am now", to this one kid. Then she took a picture with me. I posted it one time, but I looked terrible.

roooobert
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:10 PM

yeah, Kata was reaaally nice. Even helped us pick up tennis balls we shot away. And it's cool when a player show the thumb up and clap her hands to you after a win. Go Kata!!

lolo21
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
Kim-I met her on a bad day and she was so friendly, we chatted for like 3 minutes then i asked her for a few Autographs.....very sweet, very humble I liked her alot....

sounds like the Kim we all know :)

moon
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:08 PM
I dunno about your encounter, but I also met her and she was oh-sooo nice! She was smiling all the time while chatting with me, it felt like she was a girl next door :) . I know two girls who asked her during her practice session to play with them for a while and she agreed. They had a real fun with her.

It all might depend on the attitude of someone who asks the player for something...

I saw Venus on a couple of different occasions, and she was always nice to me. The best was RG 2000. I watched her practicing, and I was taking pictures of her while she walked back to the player area. Right before she disappeared into the tunnel, she noticed I was taking pictures, and she stopped and posed. I also told her "Good luck" and she smiled and said thanks.

twight6
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:38 PM
although i've never told anyone this cause it's kind of embaressing, i will anyway...

At the US Open qualifying last year, i saw Ahsha Rolle walking towards me, and she was like 15-20 feet away, listening to her music, when she goes "Hey" and gave like a little wave. So i said, "Hi" and looked at her, and she like GLARED at me, then i heard some one behind me and turned around to see a man waving at her. Shortly after, he walked up to Ahsha and gave her a hug :o

Although it's not really an encounter or a nice one, i just thought i share it...

jeanpierre
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I having sex with some WTA player but I don't say which ones. Was good encounter :drool:

Experimentee
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Out of the players I've had conversations with, Daja Bedanova and Meng Yuan were nicest.

Darop.
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Shinobu Asagoe, Strasbourg 2006
I went to Strasbourg with my uncle for one day when I lived in France and my uncle was going to many weeks of tennis in spring. I saw Shinobu looking at the mobile phones at the phone booth and I approached her and told her how much I really liked her and she was really friendly to me :)

You can travel to the future? :eek:

Darop.
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:41 PM
although i've never told anyone this cause it's kind of embaressing, i will anyway...

At the US Open qualifying last year, i saw Ahsha Rolle walking towards me, and she was like 15-20 feet away, listening to her music, when she goes "Hey" and gave like a little wave. So i said, "Hi" and looked at her, and she like GLARED at me, then i heard some one behind me and turned around to see a man waving at her. Shortly after, he walked up to Ahsha and gave her a hug :o

Although it's not really an encounter or a nice one, i just thought i share it...

OMG sorry but...

LOSER!!!

I had to say that ;)

SloKid
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I meet Klara Koukalova last year in Portoroz. She was really nice. It was after she won her semis match. I met her at the practice court, where she was just some light jogging and stretching. I stepped up to take a few pics and as she jogged by I wished her luck for the final, she smiled and thanked me. I later ran into her again after she was finished with the practice and asked if I can take another pic and she was really nice again. Her dad was with her and he is a very cool guy too. :)

Also very nice are Kata and Maja Matevžič. :D

InDaHizznouse
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I was on the same flight as Venus and Serena this year from LAX to HKG on Jan. 1st!!! This was totally by accidental because I was headed for the Philippines and stopping over Hong Kong. I cannot tell u how excited I was being a Williams fan and all. I was just sittin by the gate listening to music when I saw this girl walkin in...I was like this girl looks like Venus...and then a a bunch of people were behind her and it sunk in that they have the Hong Kong exhibition coming up!!! I was like "OOOOOOOH HEEEEEELLL NOOOOO!!!!" F'N EXCITED!!! Just before we boarded I went up to Venus (as she was talking to Isha) and told her good luck in Hong Kong, and she looked at me with surprise like I know her and she was like "oooh, thank you!" and I wanted to talk to Serena too but she was on her phone the whole time (at that time, her arms looked defined, but you could tell with her jeans she was pretty thick in the legs. speakin of what they were wearing, Venus was wearing a black ANERES logo shirt with jeans with a purple backpack and Serena had jeans and an orange shirt with a bandan-ish thing in her head w/ chanel glasses and Oracene was wearing a shirt with "Drama Queen" across it. LOL!) I didn't take a picture with them, but I did take a picture of them from where I was sitting. I thought it would be awkward cuz everybody was facing them and I was scared I might get rejected...I really don't know how to approach and ask for pictures!!! ...especially with Serena being on the phone and all, it would be kinda rude. So I just took a picture of them standing while I was sitting on my seat....but too bad Venus turned around.... aahh.

so just after I said good luck and before boarding...they were lined up and I was sitting just in front of them...literally like 3 feet in front of them. I was trying to open my laptop case when all of a sudden I let go and my hand smashed my eye. I was wearing my glasses so for a second I thought that really hurt. but then the girl sitting right next me said, "ur gushing blood between ur eyes!" LOL!!! I was like "ooooh F!". this was happening as Venus and Serena were in front of me. I should be embarassed but I wasn't. I was just soooo high after seeing the sisters for the first time and knowing we were going to be in the same flight. Of course I went to the toilet and cleaned up... but anyhow...

So for 15 hours I was on the same plane as Venus and Serena (WE flew Cathay Pacific...they were in First class naturally while I was in business)!!!! After we landed, I saw Serena standing by the gate and I was able to tell her good luck in Australia and she said "thank you". They were picked up at the gate by an airport transport car things...i dont know what u call them. Serena looked tired while Venus was playing with her sidekick. THAT WAS BY FAR THE BEST FLIGHT I'VE EVER FLOWN!

I hope I didn't jinx them though. lol. they didn't do that hot in HK and Australia. aww...

-sugi-
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:51 PM
You can travel to the future? :eek:
2005 sorry :o

InDaHizznouse
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:12 PM
here's a couple pics...

Venus...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/mickmick18/DSC00104.jpg

Serena is the one with the orange thing in her head...and u could kinda see Isha behind the man

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/mickmick18/DSC00105.jpg

Carmen Mairena
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Me and my boyfriend met the tennis great Núria Llagostera at the Girona tournament some years ago. She was sooo sweet :inlove: She gave out kisses and recognised me because our e-mail relationship. ;) I also met her parents.

Núria :worship: :bowdown: :halloffame: ;)

TomTennis
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I was on the same flight as Venus and Serena this year from LAX to HKG on Jan. 1st!!! This was totally by accidental because I was headed for the Philippines and stopping over Hong Kong. I cannot tell u how excited I was being a Williams fan and all. I was just sittin by the gate listening to music when I saw this girl walkin in...I was like this girl looks like Venus...and then a a bunch of people were behind her and it sunk in that they have the Hong Kong exhibition coming up!!! I was like "OOOOOOOH HEEEEEELLL NOOOOO!!!!" F'N EXCITED!!! Just before we boarded I went up to Venus (as she was talking to Isha) and told her good luck in Hong Kong, and she looked at me with surprise like I know her and she was like "oooh, thank you!" and I wanted to talk to Serena too but she was on her phone the whole time (at that time, her arms looked defined, but you could tell with her jeans she was pretty thick in the legs. speakin of what they were wearing, Venus was wearing a black ANERES logo shirt with jeans with a purple backpack and Serena had jeans and an orange shirt with a bandan-ish thing in her head w/ chanel glasses and Oracene was wearing a shirt with "Drama Queen" across it. LOL!) I didn't take a picture with them, but I did take a picture of them from where I was sitting. I thought it would be awkward cuz everybody was facing them and I was scared I might get rejected...I really don't know how to approach and ask for pictures!!! ...especially with Serena being on the phone and all, it would be kinda rude. So I just took a picture of them standing while I was sitting on my seat....but too bad Venus turned around.... aahh.

so just after I said good luck and before boarding...they were lined up and I was sitting just in front of them...literally like 3 feet in front of them. I was trying to open my laptop case when all of a sudden I let go and my hand smashed my eye. I was wearing my glasses so for a second I thought that really hurt. but then the girl sitting right next me said, "ur gushing blood between ur eyes!" LOL!!! I was like "ooooh F!". this was happening as Venus and Serena were in front of me. I should be embarassed but I wasn't. I was just soooo high after seeing the sisters for the first time and knowing we were going to be in the same flight. Of course I went to the toilet and cleaned up... but anyhow...

So for 15 hours I was on the same plane as Venus and Serena (WE flew Cathay Pacific...they were in First class naturally while I was in business)!!!! After we landed, I saw Serena standing by the gate and I was able to tell her good luck in Australia and she said "thank you". They were picked up at the gate by an airport transport car things...i dont know what u call them. Serena looked tired while Venus was playing with her sidekick. THAT WAS BY FAR THE BEST FLIGHT I'VE EVER FLOWN!

I hope I didn't jinx them though. lol. they didn't do that hot in HK and Australia. aww...

WOWOWOWOWOW! :eek: :worship: :wavey:

so jealous!!!!!!!

Stamp Paid
Mar 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

TeaMMashA
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Makiri is very beautiful and a great person when you meet her! although her pictures are stunning, just wait till real life you wait and see!! :) :hearts:

nizelegz
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Francesca Schiavone - She is the player that most impressed me talk about nice and down to earth. I met her while volunteering at the JP Morgan Chase Open last year in Carson, CA.

I met Nadia Petrova, think I scared her though :) Had to drive her to the tournament and there was a huge accident on the freeway so we had to take a detour and I made a bad turn and the look on her face was priceless. The officials thanked me though for getting them to Carson safely :)

Mauresmo, Elena Dem. and Natalie Dechy all sat in front of me at the WTA Championships. Very nice girls and they chatted and took pictures with all the fans that asked :)

Elena D. - If you happen to read this LOL, please tell your mom to stop text messaging during matches, it is very annoying.

Kim Clijsters - Can't say enough great things about her, the girl is awesome and so is her dad, very funny. We sat next to him at the WTA Championships while Kim was playing and he kept us laughing.

Mary Pierce - Made me a fan at the WTA Championships as well. Many of the top players choose not to give autographs, but Mary stayed after her match and gave every "single" person that wanted her autograph one. It took her so long, the next match had started.

Lindsay Davenport - I wish Lindsay would open up and smile more. Be a little more friendly to the crowd. She did give me an autograph though. Her mom is very nice.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to put everyone to sleep with my experiences. All and all I have met 18 of the top 20 players and about 10 of the lower ranked ones. All the ladies seem very nice and down to earth.

ps I did have one bad experience with Venus Williams, but I won't go there. It is in the past and I am over it now :)

InDaHizznouse
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:51 AM
hey nizelegz...
could u tell me what happened with u and venus...was it when she was younger? when i met her she was ok...between her and serena i would say venus is the friendlier one.

either way, im still a fan :)

TeaMMashA
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:57 AM
there seems to be a lot of negative vibes towards venus when people have met her!

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:00 AM
there seems to be a lot of negative vibes towards venus when people have met her!

when I met her at Wimbledon the word DIVA came to mind.

despite singing an autograph for me and ignoring all my friends lol :lol:

TeaMMashA
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:02 AM
when I met her at Wimbledon the word DIVA came to mind.

despite singing an autograph for me and ignoring all my friends lol :lol:

:lol: she had the hots for you maybe!!

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:03 AM
:lol: she had the hots for you maybe!!

:hearts: I should be so lucky

TeaMMashA
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:05 AM
:lol: should have popped in the sneaky hey wanna go out for dinner question!!

champion88
Apr 6th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Yeah, I can just get that vibe that Lindsay and Lisa are really nice women. I don't know what it is, but I could just tell they would be. Also, what did Venus do, and how wasn't Martina nice? I'm not trying to make an argument or anything, just asking.

Yeh Lisa and Lindsay took time out to talk and sign things. Martina Navratilova just said "Kid- leave me alone- No." when i asked for an autograph, and people waited for ages for Venus to come off the practice court so they could get things signed. She didn'e even say anything- just pushed past everyone- didn't even bother to say "Hey guys- I'm really sorry but I gotta rush."

TheItalianStyle
Apr 6th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Actually I'm so lucky, too
I live in Rome, near the Hilton Hotel where ,until 1998 i think, players used to stay during the Italian Open...Near the Hotel, in my road, there is a good restaurant, where many players still come also if they doesn't stay there anymore...It was 2003 when I met there Serena Williams, i bring her a rose and i spoke a little with her and her mother, Oracene!!! That's not all....last year for the second time I met there Serena another time, but i was a little different...first of all there was Venus, too, there.....and secondly there were filming thei reality so i had to wait out of the restaurant till they came out....Venus wasn't nice at all, while when Serena came out she was really really nice, I saw her and i showed her the photo we did 2 years ago and she started saying (in italian) :" Oh my god, i was really ugly that time"....and other stuffs like that...than i said her: "good luck here in Rome" one day later probably at the same time she would have lost 76 61 against Schiavone....hahaha

frenchie
Apr 6th, 2006, 01:34 PM
My coach is a friend of Razzano's coach so I got the opportunity to talk to her in 2004 (or 2003) when Virginie got to the SF in Luwembourg. She's really nice but I just told her things like "good luck" or "congratulations" as I don't like her very much :tape:
BTW my coach said he had a few conversations with her and added Razzano was not the smartest player of WTA :lol:

I also met Anna K in Luxembourg 2001. She was coming off from a practice session and when she noticed all the poeple waiting for her (including me ;) ), she stopped and signed for everybody. She was very nice and smily :hearts:

Oh, and Daniela was the rudest to me, refusing to sign my autograph in a nasty way :o

"Sluggy"
Apr 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I've only had nice contact with the players (cept one maybe). Best to just follow rules of etiquette. dont ask for anything if you dont know
for sure who they are. just be nice, etc.

K-Dog
Apr 6th, 2006, 01:49 PM
If a player has had a bad practice or is under a lot of stress, don't expect them to be all bubbly and happy to you. Even on my high school team, if i have a bad match or bad practice, i am in no mood to really talk to others light-heartedly. Martina is prob SO tired of signing autographs that she just doesn't want to anymore. Venus is usually all business at tournaments, so I wouldn't expect her to be super friendly and talkative. Players are humans too, so expect them to act like every other human would in certain situations.

bis2806
Apr 6th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Some of you might have read this, but anyways:

In the Hongkong exhibition, after her match against venus, Lindsay put down her racket on the chair, and proceeded to sign autographs. I could get to the other side of the court easily as I was seated in the first row. I squeezed myself with the (annoying) kids who would always talk so loud and rushed themselves into the first row when they knew the match would soon be over. Lindsay started so sign from behind her chairs and then across, near the umpire's chair. She then came to me And before she autographed my sign, she was like "Hiiii!!!!!!" and looked up to me smiling. I think she was really happy to see my sign! At this moment, I was so mesmerized and did not SERIOUSLY know what to think or say. And so I said "Hiii!" back to her She held my sign and autographed across it, proceeding to sign for other fans that were just piling down the stands. I immediately left with Ginger and Tweedie (both WTAworld members), as we knew there was going to be an autograph session. I called in the day before to check that Lindsay was going to sign last night.

When we reached the Watson's booth and lined up, one of the Watson's staff came to us and said the autograph session had been cancelled. Obviously, I was disappointed. So we left to go to the bathroom, and when we returned, there were people lining up at the booth I was sooooo mad because they lied to us about it, and kind of complained when one of the other staff passed us. She claimed they always had no clue if the player would decide to sign or not. Then I asked her if it was Lindsay that was going to sign later, to which she said "Yes." I thought it was my chance this time to give her a blue-coloured book that I had made for her the previous night - I stayed up till 5 am to make that scrapbook She also reminded us there cannot be any picture taking since "the queue is too long." I was like and ignored her. I figured that if I asked Lindsay and she agreed to it, the guard (who was standing next to Lindsay) as well as the staff, would have no say. The line moved quickly and I could soon see Lindsay signing all kinds of things. The fans lining up had to stand in front of her and was immediately told to leave by the staff after acquiring her autograph. It was like they tried to dump you out of that place as quick as possible. I told Ginger to take a photo of Lindsay and me, but the line moved too quick and Tweedie who stoood behind me, held my camera in the end and would take the picture instead. At this time, there were my bright green "LINDSAY ROCKZ" sign, the blue-book, and a printed copy of a picture I took with Lindsay at Stanford in 2004 (fresh off after her win over Venus). She briefly looked at me before two fans lining up in front of me. When it was my turn, I was just sooo happy. I was smiling soo much when I moved forward into her direction. She said "Hi! You're back " and smiled at me. She just looked sooo happy. I was at that moment quite star-struck. I could only say "Hello!" and "Yeah!" She then asked me "How's it going?!" I can't even remember what I said, but I think I replied by saying "I'm fine" or "I'm good". I wanted to be polite and almost rushed my way through since there were just too many people crowding around the area. The staff was also trying to push people off the area to get the line moving. When I showed her the picture taken at Stanford, she mumbled something like "Where's this taken?" and I didn't really catch what she was saying and kept quiet I watched her, and this time she looked up at me and asked me "Where was this taken?" With a smile, I nervously said "Stanford 2004" She nodded her head and autographed the picture for me. After she signed it, I told her that "I've got something for you (her)" and showed her the blue-book that was just underneath the picture signed. She said "Ohhh this book is for me?! Thank You!" I smiled and said "Yes!" I took my chance and asked her if I could "please take a picture with you (her)?" She assuringly said "Sure!" I made my way to stand next to her and leaned in. Tweedie took the picture and we were also standing in front of a lot of people with cameras - It looked like they were trying to get tons of pictures of Lindsay. I left her by saying "Thank You Lindsay." when she turned around and said "I'm going to put this (the book) just behind me (on another table)."

Two days later:
When I reached in front of the players' changing room, there were 4 guards crowding around the area, and about three other fans waiting for Lindsay/Kim. I waited for about almost half an hour there before her coach was seen passing by and asking the guards where Lindsay was. She was still in the changing room and he left in the direction he came from. A few minutes later, Lindsay came out of the changing room and asked for her coach. By this time, everyone that was strolling around the grounds were rushing over and tried to get her autograph. Even one lucky Japanese woman was even able to get a picture with her! I don't think she was in a bad mood. Fortunately, there weren't that many fans around her, as the next match was already starting. I waited for my chance to give her a print-out photo of her and Jon at Bali. It was a sweet picture I quickly said "Lindsay, this is for you!" I reached out and gave it to her. She looked at it, and her face gleamed with a big smile and said to me, "Wow, that's really sweet of you." I just smiled at her and didn't know what to really say. I then asked her if she liked "the book that I gave you (her) yesterday?" She looked at me with her big smile once again and said, "Yeah! We looked at it yesterday!" It didn't really hit me until much later on that her coach might have remembered me from an email that I sent him. In that email, which was never replied, I asked if he was really Lindsay's new coach and if he was coming to Hong Kong with her. I felt, once again, slightly freaked out because her coach probably already knew about it It seemed like she was really trying to look for her coach, and she asked again where he went. I told her that "he went in that direction (pointing finger towards the right)." She then asked, "Did he leave recently or a long time ago?" to which I replied, "Yeah, just recently." At this time, more fans poured in and wanted her autograph. At this point, I said "Good luck at the Australian Open!" and she said, "Thank You!" As she signed, I asked her, "So are you flying back to the States today?" and she said, "Oh we're actually going to Melbourne." That obviously made sense, and I told her that "I'll probably see you in the summer then." She then inquisitively asked, "Oh, are you a Californian?" and I said, "No, I'm from Virginia." And all I could do was smile because she was so sweet and nice. I finally concluded the conversation by saying, one more time, "Good luck at the Australian Open". She said, "Thanks" and continued to sign a bit more. She soon went back into the changing room and her hand still held the energy bar she was munching on earlier. I decided to leave and didn't want to keep staying there to look like her stalker.

*abby*
Apr 6th, 2006, 02:31 PM
i went to wimbledon 2004
jenny was just sooooo lovely i watched her at the practice courts for about an hour then she came rite past me. i had a load of messages to give to her from some jen fans on here so i gave her the book and said what they were and she was looked really happy she smiled her big smile and was like "wow thanks so much" :hearts: this was the first time id ever seen her i nearly melted!then i saw her walking over the bridge and me and my mate were down underneath it and we had our flags and pompoms and tshirts and we waved and she saw us and waved back.
THEN we saw her play. we cheered for her really loud thru the whole match and she kept looking over at us and laughin. then at the end after she shook hands with the umpire she looked rite at us and pointed at us and gave us a huge smile :D:D:D then she came over and she was talking to us for quite a while. she signed my tshirt and gave me her sweatband and i gave her a good luck teddy. she was so sweet and quite funny and said that she hoped wed be at her next match.
best. day. ever.

i also literally ran into anastacia myskina and nearly knocked her over it was really funny. she seemed quite timid and i was like omg im so sorry. i asked for a photo and tried to find my camera and it looked like she started to walk away (i dont think she was) so i actually shouted at her haha and she laughed and let me have a photo i was so star struck!i couldnt believe that she was like stood rite there like a normal person lol

i also watched lindsay davenport practice and when she served one of the balls whacked me thru the fence and winded me and she was like "are you ok?" which i thought was sweet cos she could have just ignored me :D

bis2806
Apr 6th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Wow great Jen story :)

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 6th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I've told this story a million times but I would tell it a million more because it means so much to me...So I was at the 2000 Pilot Pen...staying at the Omni New Haven on Yale's campus...It happened to be the players hotel...The first afternoon we were there (I was with another member of this board)...I'm heading off the elevator and one of the bell hops tells me that Venus Williams is in the lobby...turned the corner and there she was...all by herself talking on a house phone...the lobby was empty...nobody but me and my idol...I waited till she got off the phone...she smiled at me as I approached her...we chatted for like five minutes...I kicked myself for not having my Camera with me...yada yada yada...It was the best experience I've had meeting a famous person...:D

At that same hotel I met Monica Seles, Ai Sugy, Amanda Coetzer, Julie Halard De-whatever, Kim Po, Lisa and Renee, Paola and Vivi were two of the nicest people I have ever met...all smiles...Paola had beaten Serena at AI earlier that year and I congratulated her on that win and she broke into a big smile...It was great.

Andy_
Apr 6th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Among the girls, the nicest player's been Mary, whom I met in Rome on a Saturday afternoon... she'd lost early that year, but she had stayed to train on the Roman clay courts, and after a long and intense session she lingered to sign me an autograph, and we had a little chit-chat. Kimmie also was nice, but it was a more conventional after-match courtside autograph.

As for the boys, I met Andy at Macy's in NY on the eve of the Open, and he was very nice and all... but I think the nicest ever was Rafa last August at Flushing Meadows again. He'd just been hitting for like 2 hours or so, and on leaving the training courts he lingered to sign autographs and he was all smiles.