PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Wozniacki: Tennis wonderchild grows up

spiceboy
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
http://denmark.dk/portal/page?_pageid=374,918998&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Tennis wonderchild grows up

After securing a quarterfinal spot in a WTA tournament last week, Caroline Wozniacki stands poised to serve up the next move in her promising career
Not many 15 year-olds can unabashedly state they want 'to be number one in the world' and be taken seriously by grown-ups.

But as young tennis star Caroline Wozniacki (pronounced: Vosniaski) secured her first victory on the professional tennis circuit last week, her dream of appearing at Wimbledon and the US Open appeared a few steps closer to reality.

First she overcame Kristina Brandi in the first round of the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships in Memphis, USA. Then she overpowered Ashley Harkleroad in straight sets before being stopped by Sofia Arvidsson in the quarterfinals.

Coach Morten Christensen was not surprised by Caroline's success.

'We've prepared an extra amount this week. For the first time she has practiced with other players. Practicing against them has given her faith that she can make things happen in real matches,' he said. 'But it's also about maturity. She's grown mentally with the task.'

Star quality

Caroline's skill and passion for the game can be attributed to a combination of raw talent and focused development. Her parents, who immigrated from Poland in the late 1980s, are both highly trained athletes. Mother Anna played volleyball for the Polish national team, while father Piotr played professional football.

The parents shared their enthusiasm for sports with Caroline and her older brother Patrik. First they were sent to gymnastics, and when Patrik began playing football, Caroline tagged along.

'Caroline always wanted to do the same things as her big brother,' Piotr told monthly magazine Ud & Se last year when the country first began to hear about the wonderchild who was taking the tennis world by storm.

So when Patrik began playing tennis, Caroline quickly picked up a racquet, too. Father Piotr told the older brother to let his little sister win a few matches once in awhile, but by the time Caroline was nine, she could easily defeat her sporty sibling.

Piotr realised that Caroline had a special talent.

He began coaching his daughter with long afternoon training sessions at the local tennis club.

'I could sense that some members looked strangely at us when we were out there for such a long time, but she wanted to. She became unhappy if I said stop after an hour and a half. There was nothing to do,' he said. 'But I also had a great time. How many parents can be with their children four to five hours a day?'

Top 500

Years of hard work with early morning jogs and practice sessions before school have begun to pay off for Caroline. Her wins in Memphis secured her 32 points on the WTA circuit and boosted her ranking to 457.

Top coaches such as Bob Brett and Walt Landers predict that Caroline has what it takes to go all the way. Landers has been impressed by her technique, desire, and aggression, coupled with her unquenchable appetite to always learn more. It's only a matter of time before Caroline takes on the gruelling professional circuit dominated by Maria Sharapova, Venus Williams, and Lindsay Davenport.

Coach Morten Christensen agrees.

'There are a number of things that have to fall into place, if she is going to make it to the top,' said Christensen. 'Her advantage is that she has the raw ingredients for it. First and foremost nerves of steel. That is decisive if you are going to take that extra step,' he said.

Caroline demonstrated her winning spirit in front of 5,000 peole at the Mayor's Tournament in Osaka, Japan. After falling behind 0-3 in the first set, Caroline dug in her heels and proved her mettle.

'Things began to move. I felt like I was flying. People began to clap, and they yelled my name: Come on, Caroline. Come on Denmark,' she said.

Still a child

Caroline's strong family ties help her stay grounded as her career blossoms. Father Piotr travels with her to most of her tournaments, while her brother and mother welcome her home when she returns with her latest lessons in the game of tennis.

'Caroline is a happy girl. She's a very positive person. That helps her,' said mother Anna. 'Not everybody has such a positive attitude as she does. But she should never feel pressure. She needs to pressure herself, but we need to help her find her limit. It needs to be both fun and serious otherwise it can't be done. She's still a child.'

http://denmark.dk/images/pobtrans.gifhttp://denmark.dk/images/pobtrans.gifhttp://denmark.dk/images/pobtrans.gif

-sugi-
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:54 PM
Caro :worship:

Beautiful article :smooch:

Mailin
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Caro :)

Thanks for the article :)

turt
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:36 AM
Nice article, but maybe there were better examples than these
It's only a matter of time before Caroline takes on the gruelling professional circuit dominated by Maria Sharapova, Venus Williams, and Lindsay Davenport.:lol:

so.krist!na
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:41 AM
Caro:worship:
look4ward....

tenn_ace
Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:45 PM
mark my words: top 30 at her best.

Jakub
Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
all the best Karolina !! :)

Craigy
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:06 PM
Can't wait to see her coming up in the oncoming years :)

SloKid
Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Good luck Caroline!
I hope she will be the best thing to come out of Denmark since Lego. :lol:
I lovz Lego. :lol:

Carmen Mairena
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
Caroline :inlove:

Klaudia
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
Hard work always pays off :-)

Jorn
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:08 PM
Next year I hope she's in the TOP 100!

Billie Jean
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:19 AM
mark my words: top 30 at her best.

If I understand you right then you donít think itís realistic for Caroline to make it all the way to the top like Sharapova?

Why is that? I have long believed in Caroline abilities, and my opinion is that she will be among the absolute best players in the world within a few years. Iím talking top 5 at her best, and maybe even number 1 :eek:

Billie Jean
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Next year I hope she's in the TOP 100!

No no, she is in top 100 already late 2006 for sure unless she bumps into injuries :p :D

Go Caroline :bounce: :lol: :wavey:

HTE
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Pretty nice article, credit to Copenhagen POst for getting most of their facts right for once, usually they write pure rubbish :)

If I understand you right then you donít think itís realistic for Caroline to make it all the way to the top like Sharapova?

Why is that? I have long believed in Caroline abilities, and my opinion is that she will be among the absolute best players in the world within a few years. Iím talking top 5 at her best, and maybe even number 1 :eek:

tenn_ace truly believes that Caro doesn't have a very good game, just because he saw her play a not so good match once :retard:
Hopefully Caroline is already in the process of proving him wrong :)

About yout other post, it's very, very unlikely that she'll be anywhere near top 100 this year as she can't play a lot of pro tournaments yet. Next year though :yeah:

CooCooCachoo
Mar 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM
It's only a matter of time before Caroline takes on the gruelling professional circuit dominated by Maria Sharapova, Venus Williams, and Lindsay Davenport.

Oh? They are dominating the circuit?

:ignore:

Supermonica
Mar 5th, 2006, 01:27 PM
http://denmark.dk/portal/page?_pageid=374,918998&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Tennis wonderchild grows up

After securing a quarterfinal spot in a WTA tournament last week, Caroline Wozniacki stands poised to serve up the next move in her promising career
Not many 15 year-olds can unabashedly state they want 'to be number one in the world' and be taken seriously by grown-ups.

But as young tennis star Caroline Wozniacki (pronounced: Vosniaski) secured her first victory on the professional tennis circuit last week, her dream of appearing at Wimbledon and the US Open appeared a few steps closer to reality.

First she overcame Kristina Brandi in the first round of the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships in Memphis, USA. Then she overpowered Ashley Harkleroad in straight sets before being stopped by Sofia Arvidsson in the quarterfinals.

Coach Morten Christensen was not surprised by Caroline's success.

'We've prepared an extra amount this week. For the first time she has practiced with other players. Practicing against them has given her faith that she can make things happen in real matches,' he said. 'But it's also about maturity. She's grown mentally with the task.'

Star quality

Caroline's skill and passion for the game can be attributed to a combination of raw talent and focused development. Her parents, who immigrated from Poland in the late 1980s, are both highly trained athletes. Mother Anna played volleyball for the Polish national team, while father Piotr played professional football.

The parents shared their enthusiasm for sports with Caroline and her older brother Patrik. First they were sent to gymnastics, and when Patrik began playing football, Caroline tagged along.

'Caroline always wanted to do the same things as her big brother,' Piotr told monthly magazine Ud & Se last year when the country first began to hear about the wonderchild who was taking the tennis world by storm.

So when Patrik began playing tennis, Caroline quickly picked up a racquet, too. Father Piotr told the older brother to let his little sister win a few matches once in awhile, but by the time Caroline was nine, she could easily defeat her sporty sibling.

Piotr realised that Caroline had a special talent.

He began coaching his daughter with long afternoon training sessions at the local tennis club.

'I could sense that some members looked strangely at us when we were out there for such a long time, but she wanted to. She became unhappy if I said stop after an hour and a half. There was nothing to do,' he said. 'But I also had a great time. How many parents can be with their children four to five hours a day?'

Top 500

Years of hard work with early morning jogs and practice sessions before school have begun to pay off for Caroline. Her wins in Memphis secured her 32 points on the WTA circuit and boosted her ranking to 457.

Top coaches such as Bob Brett and Walt Landers predict that Caroline has what it takes to go all the way. Landers has been impressed by her technique, desire, and aggression, coupled with her unquenchable appetite to always learn more. It's only a matter of time before Caroline takes on the gruelling professional circuit dominated by Maria Sharapova, Venus Williams, and Lindsay Davenport. ....

"Dominated"?
Shara is #5, Venus #10 and Lindsay #4.
They have won 2 slams combined in the last 4 years ......

Billie Jean
Mar 6th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Pretty nice article, credit to Copenhagen POst for getting most of their facts right for once, usually they write pure rubbish :)

tenn_ace truly believes that Caro doesn't have a very good game, just because he saw her play a not so good match once :retard:
Hopefully Caroline is already in the process of proving him wrong :)

About yout other post, it's very, very unlikely that she'll be anywhere near top 100 this year as she can't play a lot of pro tournaments yet. Next year though :yeah:

Yeah I think you might be right, it was just the player Caroline won over in her last prof tournament that said Caroline would be in top 50 by the end of this year. If she is a pro player, why does she not know that is not possible?

hnwortman
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:37 PM
pics?

HTE
Mar 7th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah I think you might be right, it was just the player Caroline won over in her last prof tournament that said Caroline would be in top 50 by the end of this year. If she is a pro player, why does she not know that is not possible?

I think Ashley was right in most of what she said, and if Caro was a ble to play a full schedule I have no doubt that she would be in the top 50 at the end of 2006 :)

Williams-forever
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Who knows?? Maybe she will do really great in her next tournaments and shock some good players...btw, what is the tournament limit for girls aged 15?? :confused:

tenn_ace
Mar 7th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Because she really doesn't have much to call her a wondergirl or a future number 1. I mean she is absolutely not in the same league as such players at her age as Sharapova (big weapons), Hingis (knowledge of game), Williams sisters (athletesism), sheer power (Kuznetsova). She really is just an average girl who happen to play juniors at a time when there are not many truly talanted players. If Azarenka, Krajichek, Vadisova to name a few still played juniors, Caroline wouldn't be anywhere close to the top 5, let alone making the finals or winning big events.

xXSarajevoXx
Mar 7th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Caro :)

HTE
Mar 7th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Because she really doesn't have much to call her a wondergirl or a future number 1. I mean she is absolutely not in the same league as such players at her age as Sharapova (big weapons), Hingis (knowledge of game), Williams sisters (athletesism), sheer power (Kuznetsova). She really is just an average girl who happen to play juniors at a time when there are not many truly talanted players. If Azarenka, Krajichek, Vadisova to name a few still played juniors, Caroline wouldn't be anywhere close to the top 5, let alone making the finals or winning big events.

It's funny that all the women she plays against, plus their coaches think otherwise :D

Jorn
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:02 PM
She beat two Top 80 players in Memphis and played a close match against the later winner now Top 40 player, so she has proven she can compete against Top 100!!
Ithink its too early to say if she's a Top 10 or only Top 50 player in the future...luck in tournament draws can mean much.

ezekiel
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:37 PM
OMG this nationalistic hype is unbearable :help:

http://denmark.dk/portal/page?_pageid=374,610595&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&ic_itemid=918535

Rising tennis star nets first pro win

Caroline Wozniacki earns her first professional win at a WTA tournament in Memphis

The third time was a charm on Monday for Denmark's Caroline Wozniacki - the toughest name in the tennis world since Martina Navratilova - as she won her first professional match after two previous losses.

Wozniacki, who finished second at this year's junior Australian Open beat 81st -ranked Kristina Brandi in the WTA event Regions Morgan Keegan Championships, in Memphis, USA.

Already one of the world's top ranked junior players, and ranked 85th overall on the pro tour, the 15-year old Dane needed a full three sets to beat Brandi, 28, who has been ranked as high as 27 in international rankings.

Wozniacki took the first set easily, 6-3. In the second set, she fell quickly behind to 5-0. Woziniacki fought back, taking three games in a row, but wound up dropping the set 3-6 to the tough Puerto Rican.

The third and final set was an exciting see-saw battle that the young Dane led by as much as 4-2. Brandi broke Wozniacki's serve and tied the set at 5-5 to force a tie-break. Wozniacki outpaced Brandi in the tie-break, winning handily.

In the next round, Wozniacki will face American Ashley Harkleroad, who upset the tournament's fifth seed, Samantha Stosur, on Monday

TeaMMashA
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I had to google her to see what she looked like so if noone else knows either :) :

http://i2-images.tv2.dk/s/43/429043-967ee327e42320129e50f0b6228e66c9.jpeg

http://www.stipkomedia.com/contentengine/gallery5/data/media/10/Caroline_Wozniacki_20050719f.jpg

HTE
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:48 PM
OMG this nationalistic hype is unbearable :help:

http://denmark.dk/portal/page?_pageid=374,610595&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&ic_itemid=918535

No post like yours are unbearable. :help: Because one (1!) online paper has a few articles it's not even close to a nationalistic hype. Noone forces you to read these articles and even less reply to threads about Caroline.

Kworb
Jun 17th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Always fun to dig up these old articles. :lol: She "overpowered" Harkleroad. :eek:

FORZA SARITA
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Good luck Caroline!
I hope she will be the best thing to come out of Denmark since Lego. :lol:
I lovz Lego. :lol:

:spit:

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Fantastic old thread! March 2006 Caroline was 15, right?

FORZA SARITA
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Fantastic old thread! March 2006 Caroline was 14, right?

15 and half :lol:

open your eyes
Jun 17th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Fun:D

Love this Lego mentioning. They does indeed produce constructors in Dermark... amoung all of the plain and one-dimesional play styles in tennis these days they have produced Caroline, who's the implementation of complicated style of play in the sport. Thinking style. Just as Lego in toys;)