PDA

View Full Version : Will Venus and Serena ever be the world's numbers 1 and 2 again

Viktymise
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:38 PM
Yes
No
Unsure

At this stage in their careers and with everythin that happened over the last ten months do you think its gonna happen

Ryan
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:39 PM
I dont think so. I can see either of them making #1 again, but I think the field is deeper now than in 2002 so it would be hard for them to get 1 AND 2 again.

LoveFifteen
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:40 PM
I doubt it.

Brαm
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:40 PM
I say no, not because they're not talented enough but it's just that they're injured a lot and these days you have to be 100% fit to become no.1.

Boss monkey
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:47 PM
I think if they really wanted to they could, if they would just put more time and effort in to it. They put down some good results even with their chronic injuries, so if they were fully healthy and put a side their off cort interests for a short time they could make it back into the top 5.

jonny84
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:47 PM
I don't think so. Having said that Martina has comeback and is fast approaching the Top10 at great speed, so anything can happen.

Venus can, she won Wimbledon, quite unexpectedly. Serena just needs to stop being injured, cos when she is on fire, she is on fire!

Viktymise
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:51 PM
I think Vee has the better chance of being number 1. Its not like shes been in bad form since winning wimbledon she's just bein really injured. For serena it will be much harder

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
i voted unsure, because they always surprise us. however, i know serena will be number one again, there's no doubt in my mind, she'll be back for miami:):):)

selyoink
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
Not going to happen again.

chris whiteside
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:54 PM
Much as I hate thinking it the answer has to be no.

AsGoodAsNew
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM
There is more chance of Helen Lawson returning to the screen in a tean flick and winning the Oscar for her heartfelt scream as she is chased through the woods by a psycho killer in a mask that turns out to be her long dead mother. Played by Creep.

junlee_vee
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:46 PM
I think one of them can get to #1, as some of you has said, and I would like it to be Venus. ;) But I seriously doubt both of them could be 1 and 2 at the same time again...but just in case, I voted unsure.

Leo_DFP
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
I'm sorry, but no way.

Denise4925
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:18 PM
Barring injury, if both of them wanted it badly enough at the same time, yes.

sweetiepiedoll
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:18 PM
In order for Venus & Serena to be ranked at the top they must play well (win tournaments) and play more frequently - smaller (Belgium) and bigger (Miami) tournaments. These things are possible if they are:

1. Physically fit & not injured
2. Have an efficient game plan & strategy
3. Improvement in techniques & execution (less unforced errors)
4. 100% dedication & focus to tennis

Otherwise, Venus & Serena may remain in the same positions that they are now.

santhuruu
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:23 PM
I don't think so, because every time when they are at their peak of their game, they somehow get injured and that's really sad though.

Geisha
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:40 PM
I think they can, but I'm not sure if they will.

Last year, the worst year of Serena's career - she still managed to win the Australian Open. Do you know why? Because that week, she was all tennis. Same with Venus at Wimbledon. When you see either of them going shopping and whatnot, they do terribly at tournaments. If they stay healthy, they have a much better shot.

skindeep
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:42 PM
no, there're MANY better players right now

Viktymise
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:24 PM
I dont think there are any players better than Venus and Serena just vee and ree couldn't be bothered sometimes as they know themselves that they are the best and they dont need to justify that to any1

:inlove:
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
I voted no. :sad: Not that I don't think they will play great tennis again, and win tournaments or maybe some Grand Slams, I just don't think they are consistent enough any more, and are vulnerable to injuries, and don't play enough tournaments to get back to Number 1. Maybe number 3 or 4...hopefully... :confused:

TonyP
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:46 PM
Well, it would be possible, assuming they both actually played some.

Most of those responding here say, assuming they are not injured.

Are they injured right now and where and when did they get injured? Both played in the AO, and neither retired due to injury. What makes you think they have since injured themselves and if so, doing what?

I think their fans have to eventually face the fact that it is lack of interest in tennis, not injuries, that are keeping them off the court.

Nothing wrong with that, but blaming it all on injuries seems a little naive. Serena turned up at the AO out of shape, not injured.

hablo
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:47 PM
Unsure. :shrug:

skindeep
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
I dont think there are any players better than Venus and Serena just vee and ree couldn't be bothered sometimes as they know themselves that they are the best and they dont need to justify that to any1

:yawn: :yawn:

Stamp Paid
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:16 PM
Hell naw. :sad:

Carmen Mairena
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:24 PM
Unfortunate answer for an unfortunate thread: no, they won't. But I hope they still have some Slams in them! :worship:

joey1045
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:29 PM
If they do become number 1 and 2 again. Will the hating, and the constant name calling stop? no!, not!!, never! Not a chance! vote now!

coolbird2
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:31 PM
I think we need to take small steps with Venus and Serena.

Step one is for them to pick up a racket

Stamp Paid
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:32 PM
I just want Serena > Seles. I hope she accomplishes that before she retires. :sad:

switz
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
I just want Serena > Seles. I hope she accomplishes that before she retires. :sad:

do you mean in terms of number of slams? Would that mean so much considering anybody who doesn't hate her would admit that her number of slams would have been considerably higher if she weren't stabbed.

Most people who know tennis would say that Serena has played the game at the highest level ever seen. that should enough really.

On the question of the thread i do doubt they'll ever be ranked that highly at the same time again. I think they can both win slams and be the best players on tour again but they'll only do that through winning slams because they'll get injured if they try and play enough to get their rankings up.

LHarris1
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
Whenever Venus and Serena decide to truly put tennis first, they can do anything...

Stamp Paid
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:40 PM
do you mean in terms of number of slams? Would that mean so much considering anybody who doesn't hate her would admit that her number of slams would have been considerably higher if she weren't stabbed.

Most people who know tennis would say that Serena has played the game at the highest level ever seen. that should enough really.

On the question of the thread i do doubt they'll ever be ranked that highly at the same time again. I think they can both win slams and be the best players on tour again but they'll only do that through winning slams because they'll get injured if they try and play enough to get their rankings up.

Yeah, in number of slams, thats all I meant. :sad:
And its a personal thing from an obsessed fan (me), its not for the record books or nothing. :p

Craigy
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:58 PM
I think if serena actually gave a flying fuck anymore she would get there, I don't think Venus can, I think she is too unconsistent...

moon
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
Since when has being the #1 ranked player been synonymous with being the best? The ranking system rewards those who play often, and that is not Venus or Serena. I think they will continue to focus on just trying to win slams, which I can not fault them for at all. Yeah they both need to play a bit more, but playing week in and week out just to make it back to being ranked no. 1 or 2? Don't think so.

squash
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:07 PM
You can not get to #1 if you are not playing tennis

Prizeidiot
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
I doubt it. The main issue is, that would mean both Venus and Serena being at peak fitness for an extended period of time at the same time. That's very unlikely. Plus there is a lot of depth at the top, and rankings seem to shift alot there.

morningglory
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:41 PM
no... but I can see Venus probably win a slam, she has to have an outstanding tournament though

Martian Stacey
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:49 PM
I think its pretty unlikely. I'm sure they could both be ranked well inside the top 10 if they put the effor in, but i doubt we will see them as 1 and 2 at the same time.

harloo
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:56 PM
They can if they want to and everyone knows it.

When a player like Martina who was powered out of the game can come back to the tour after 4 years and have instant results then ANYTHING is possible.

The "hyped" depth of the tour is a joke and that's just a fact. Now if we were talking about the men's tour then I would say "no". However we are speaking about the WTA where the competition is lacking.;) :wavey:

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:14 PM
I'm a huge fan of both, and I will vote with my head for once and not my heart. So I'm saying no.

I think it will be difficult, especially now without the quality points, and they will never play more than 20 tourneys a year. First they don't want to, and second their body isn't made to play that much.

But I'm not saying Serena and Venus could not become the two best players in the world. They would just not be ranked 1 and 2.

skindeep
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:24 PM
i dont think so. they dont really like tennis i guess