PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Lindsay will play the French Open?

dav abu
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:57 AM
I know Lindsay said that she would but what do you reckon? with it being her 30th birthday I wonder will she give it a miss :confused:

Andrew..
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:02 PM
She said she will, so, she probably will.

If she didn't, it would be a really, really dumb move.

LostInThe80s
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:57 PM
I think she will because she is the consummate professional. :)

Emmanya
Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:00 PM
I think she will. If all Lindsay wants is a one more slam then I don't care how inaffective she thinks she is on clay - you never know what might happen when you play. I mean look at what happened to Amelie at the Aussie Open. She got a perfect draw and played well and got some lucky breaks and now she's a grand slam winner.

Anyway...I hope she plays. :)

lindsayno1
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
yes.

MH0861
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:18 PM
She should, if only to defend some (or all?) of her QF points to keep her ranking in the Top 4 for Wimbledon seeding purposes.

Ingokoer
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:08 PM
It would be really stupid in tennis business if a (former) world No.1 would withdraw from a Grand Slam Tournament.

dav abu
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:25 AM
I guess it was a stupid question really. It's just that I'm thinking of going and it would be great to see Lindsay.

Elldee
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
I think she'll play but I don't think she'll play to win.

Lindsayfan32
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
She said she will be playing the French so she most likely will bit I'm not so sure its a good idea. There's a 2 week turn around between the the 2 what happens if she gets injured. I would stay home and train for the best shot I have at grand slam for the year rather than risk injury and she has finished the french open with an injury two out of the last three years.

Andrew..
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:39 PM
If she's planning her schedule around possible injuries, then why even bother playing. A professional tennis player can't go into a tournament with a "What if..." attitude. Give 100% or give nothing.

MH0861
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:47 PM
She said she will be playing the French so she most likely will bit I'm not so sure its a good idea. There's a 2 week turn around between the the 2 what happens if she gets injured. I would stay home and train for the best shot I have at grand slam for the year rather than risk injury and she has finished the french open with an injury two out of the last three years.

That's a long time to go without matchplay, since she would be off from Amelia Island or Charleston in early-mid April until Wimbledon in late June/Early July. She may not play great on clay, but it's still important to get on the court and play real matches regardless of how experienced she is. She doesn't like Eastbourne or playing the week before a slam, so I can't see her doing that either instead..

MH0861
Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:49 PM
If she's planning her schedule around possible injuries, then why even bother playing. A professional tennis player can't go into a tournament with a "What if..." attitude. Give 100% or give nothing.

Well, I wouldn't go that far - she does have to be mindful about injuries, given her age. Injuries can happen anywhere at anytime, but I do think she, more so than say, Sharapova, need to be careful to avoid them at all costs. One serious injury and she's done. Her knee isn't going to hold up forever.

lindsayno1
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Her knee is a ticking timebomb... hopefully it will stay fine til shes done with tennis

Solitaire
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:58 AM
I think she will I just hope her attitude going into the FO will be better then last year's. If she actually believed she could win the FO I think she could.

Lindsayfan32
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Andrew you have a point but it more likely to happen at the french than any other slam. Lindsay was asked if clay is softer on the body than hard courts and her reply was it no better then hard courts and she is more likely to get an injury. Three injuries in three years says it all really.

mike/topgun
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I think it all depends on how well Lindzi will do in IW, Miami, AI...if her body would hold up she should play imho. I really do think that she gotta chance even in Paris - she needs some luck there, more luck than in Wimby for sure but still it's an opportunity. I do agree with Andrew. She's got to give her best 100%. And few weeks before I was confident that she won't play in RG but after Dubai where she's said she's going to play more consequently (full schedule) it looks like she doesn't want to miss any of the slams. Considering the fact of Lindsay's 30th bd it'd be more romantic if they would spend the day in Paris together with John LOL!and possibly win a slam;)
I am grateful she remains fit and eager. The form is not the peak one atm but it happens when you work hard before the season - then you must wait for the results.

Andrew..
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Andrew you have a point but it more likely to happen at the french than any other slam. Lindsay was asked if clay is softer on the body than hard courts and her reply was it no better then hard courts and she is more likely to get an injury. Three injuries in three years says it all really.
I don't understand how she can say that.... If she wants to stay injury free, she shouldn't play the three hardocourt tournaments back-to-back-to-back in the summer, but we all know that's not happening. Clay is alot easier on the joints. She's alot more likely to blow a knee on hardcourts than on clay, no matter what she says.

Andrew..
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Her knee is a ticking timebomb... hopefully it will stay fine til shes done with tennis
I don't think it is anymore. If it was, it would have been over already. She said that two years ago, and it's doing well.

tennisboi
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I think she will because she is the consummate professional. :)

I agree with this statement:( but I think that Lindsay would rather be a home because she really hates red clay and if she dosen't play it she'll go to Wimbledon with no tennis played in weeks because I don't think Linz will play eastbourne. Plus she has ranking points to defend so overall I think it's in her best interests to play :bounce:

Andrew..
Mar 4th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Lindsay will probably be ranked out of the top five by July. Lolz.

GrandSlam05
Mar 5th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I agree no way clay is as bad for the lower extremities as hard courts. Worse for the arms and wrist maybe because of all the extra hitting, but good the lower body.

tennisboi
Mar 11th, 2006, 01:41 AM
''This year, with Miami mandatory, after Miami, I am just going to see what happens if I go to the clay or not go to the clay... At the (2005) French (Open), I got to the quarters and I would be surprised if I went back (to the French Open in 2006)."Lindsay Davenport

It doesn't seem likely that she'll play clay this year. It seems Lindsay has taken a trip to the doctor and she's been told that her body can breakdown very easily. It's not looking good is it?? :sad:

Andrew..
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:38 AM
That quote is actually from November. She said at the AO she was playing RG.

I don't believe anything she says anymore. She contradicts herself in every interview.

Lindsayfan32
Mar 11th, 2006, 07:17 AM
That quote is actually from November. She said at the AO she was playing RG.

I don't believe anything she says anymore. She contradicts herself in every interview.

I think we're back to not playing after AI. I was read a article this morning and Lindsay's hedging towards staying home and training for Wimbledon if she plays Easbourne the week before she would be in great shape of Wimbledon but its simple as this we're gota get used to less of Lindsay I'm afaird. Even before she retires.

tennisboi
Mar 11th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Lindsay's hedging towards staying home and training for Wimbledon if she plays Easbourne the week before she would be in great shape of Wimbledon but its simple as this we're gota get used to less of Lindsay I'm afaird.

Lindsay hates clay and I think that she really feels that going to the French will achieve nothing and she would prefer to stay in California to train for Wimbledon because she's said herself that it's her best chance at winning a slam but Lindsay is professional and she probably will play Roland Garros

MH0861
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:19 AM
In her most recent IW interview..

Q. What's your idea of limited schedule?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: You know, for me I'm going to play here and Miami, and probably play one clay court event before Paris, play Wimbledon and probably just this year maybe play two in the summer before the US Open, not three or four. And, you know, then -- I haven't even thought about the fall, but, you know, it just gets -- it gets to be too much to play a bunch in a row and, you know, trying to recover.

lindsayno1
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:02 AM
2 hard court events in the summer?! Woah she means business about cutting it down then....she LOVES the cali hardcourt tourneys!

liuxuan
Mar 13th, 2006, 05:32 PM
That's a long time to go without matchplay, since she would be off from Amelia Island or Charleston in early-mid April until Wimbledon in late June/Early July. She may not play great on clay, but it's still important to get on the court and play real matches regardless of how experienced she is. She doesn't like Eastbourne or playing the week before a slam, so I can't see her doing that either instead..

she doesnt mind, shes always played new haven and sydney,and shes even won clay title in madrid the week before the french in 99 i think.

I think she should play only singles at RG, give it her best shot then return home immediately wehn shes done and start practising those killer slice serves and take home the wimbledon title!!!:worship: :hearts:

Andrew..
Mar 13th, 2006, 08:05 PM
2 hard court events in the summer?! Woah she means business about cutting it down then....she LOVES the cali hardcourt tourneys!
Meh. I'll believe that when I see it. I can't see her skipping any of the California hardcourts. She'll probably just skip New Haven instead.

lindsayno1
Mar 13th, 2006, 10:46 PM
i guess. she was moaning about missing them all last year. she'll prob play cos its close to home.

The Daviator
Mar 14th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Meh. I'll believe that when I see it. I can't see her skipping any of the California hardcourts. She'll probably just skip New Haven instead.

I agree, she'll play the three in Cally, and will skip New Haven...

I'm glad she's going to RG :bounce:

dav abu
Mar 21st, 2006, 02:06 PM
I'm guessing with the injury Lindsay has now it is highly unlikely that she will play the French. I know theres a bit to go yet and she will hopefully have recovered but I can't see her risking her back so close to Wimbledon.