PDA

View Full Version : Grand Slam glory came too soon for Russia’s Myskina

bellascarlett
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:56 AM
Just something that may be of interest to some:

Grand Slam glory came too soon for Russia’s Myskina
Web posted at: 3/1/2006 1:34:21

DOHA: Anastasia Myskina, one of six Russian players in the world top-20, believes her only Grand Slam glory at the French Open 2004 was one moment of global reckoning she was not quite ready for.

Myskina, who is seeking her third title at the US $600,000 Qatar Open, was honest enough to admit that her triumph at the Roland Garros two years ago came too soon for a player still trying to find her feet at the international level.

“Things happened so suddenly. My whole life changed after I won the French Open in 2004. I realised that, all of a sudden, I have become so famous, people coming up for handshakes and pictures. The fact that I was becoming popular was okay, but for a young person like me, things were happening too fast,” Myskina revealed yesterday.

“Soon after the French Open triumph, I was in the newspapers everyday. With me becoming popular, expectations of fans went up as well. All of a sudden I was expected to win every event I took part in or reach the final at least,” recalled the Russian, who has not won a WTA Tour title since January last year.

“The expectations of the fans and the global attention became too much for me. I couldn’t handle the pressure associated with fame and success,’ said Myskina.

The Russian wondered how England football captain David Beckham handles the media glare and the public attention so well. “I sometimes wonder how Beckham copes with the attention that he gets all the time. How does he manage himself in front of such public adulation or media focus,” asked the Russian.

Despite the public pressure and the media frenzy following her Roland Garros triumph, Myskina said the happenings of 2004 for good for Russian tennis. “That year, not only I but Maria Sharapova and Svetlana Kuznetsova also won Grand Slams. In all, three Russians won three of the four Grand Slam titles. That made tennis a huge sport at home. That is still the case and I am happy about it,” Myskina, who has 10 titles to her credit,” said.

“I think Russian tennis is looking up and our players can win more Grand Slams. The Russian players are trying hard to win more Slams,” Myskina, who plays her first match in Doha today, said yesterday.

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=Sports_News&subsection=Tennis&month=March2006&file=Sports_News2006030113421.xml

Well, obviously Nastya is already out of Doha. :rolleyes: Here's what she had to say:

Myskina said there was nothing wrong with her game and that she was happy with her game, but added “not with the result.”

“She (Ai) was better than me today. In the third set when I was trailing 4-5, I lost my serve. Had I held it, it could have been different,” Myskia said. “It was a good match and I hope people liked it. That’s important,” she added.

TomTennis
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:59 PM
if she didnt win the French Open in 2004, she would never win another slam.

she just cant compete against the likes of Davenport, Sharapova, Venus, Serena, Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Pierce, Mauresmo at their best.

wateva
Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:13 PM
i thought she won kolkata last yr? :scratch:

ezekiel
Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:16 PM
isn't she like mid 20's or something :confused:
Anyway , she seems settled as a 2nd tier player but at least she seems more happy and relaxed than before

alfonsojose
Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:24 PM
Nastya :)

meyerpl
Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:46 PM
I'm proud to be a Myskina fan. It isn't all about winning or losing.

LoveFifteen
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I am pretty sure that the French 2004 will be her only Slam title.

Kart
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:04 PM
I'm proud to be a Myskina fan. It isn't all about winning or losing.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

I think winning the French open was the best thing for her. It showed she is a genuine contender for major titles when overlooked.

sinterklaasje
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:14 PM
I don't think that pressure was the main problem. She did fine the second half of 2004.
When her mother became ill, it all went downward, which is normal I guess. Who cares about tennis, when a close relative is seriously ill?
It just takes some time for her to find her groove back. But I'm convinced she will.

she just cant compete against the likes of Davenport, Sharapova, Venus, Serena, Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne, Pierce, Mauresmo at their best.

:rolleyes:
H2H against Venus, Pierce, Sharapova isn't that bad ;)
she can compete with anyone when 'on', but unfortunately she can lose to anybody when 'off'

Viktymise
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
Well at least she can say she won a slam at the end of her career. I think she would still take winning the french if there was going to be a bad year and a half to follow

hablo
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
Nastya... winning the FO was a great accomplishment and no one can take that away from you :yeah:
especially you were the FIRST russian woman to do it :angel:

Marat's slam came too early too ;)

martinailuv
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:33 PM
“The expectations of the fans and the global attention became too much for me. I couldn’t handle the pressure associated with fame and success,’ said Myskina.

Nastya :hug:

thrust
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:44 PM
She was lucky to win that FO, she will never win another.

croat123
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
sounds a lot like majoli :sad:

Farina Elia Fan
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:08 PM
Marat's slam came too early too ;)

good point

goldenlox
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:14 PM
I'm thinking that Myskina and Petrova got appearance fees in Doha, and they were asked to say something newsworthy.

Because it's strange that they both are saying these things now.

furrykitten
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:21 PM
So Myskina thinks of Beckham quite alot, I wonder if he'd take a spin with her?.

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:30 PM

well said. i really like myskina, but i don't imagine she'll ever win another slam. not to mention, there were soooo many people injured the year she won, not taking away any of her credit, but i just can't see it happening again.

TomTennis
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:37 PM
well said. i really like myskina, but i don't imagine she'll ever win another slam. not to mention, there were soooo many people injured the year she won, not taking away any of her credit, but i just can't see it happening again.

yeh i agree.

i dont wanna offend her or any of her fans, but she is a good player, but it stops there. The year she won the FO she didnt really have to do much. I remeber the only close match was against Kusnetsova, which i think was good quality (cant really remeber!) But she did beat both Venus and Jenny (although niether semmed to play brill) which is a massive acomplishment.

i think its good she is more relaxed. When she is on she is just a dangerous player to play and entertaining to watch! Hope everything 'family' wise is better now so che can relax and enjoy her game again.

AsGoodAsNew
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:41 PM
isn't she like mid 20's or something :confused:
Anyway , she seems settled as a 2nd tier player but at least she seems more happy and relaxed than before
:lol: Spot on! So when Monica was winning RG at 16 must be the reason why she went on to win it again! If Anastasia said this then she must have been trying to justify her recent form. But I still like her!

Hots4Safin
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:48 PM
i actually really like Myskina and if I had favorites outside of Vee and Serena she'd probably be one of them. I do think she was a bit lucky to win that French open BUT luck is a big part of winning slams. I wouldn't go as far to say she'll never win another one, but it's not LIKELY. I think she's fun to watch and she always FIGHTS. Especially when playing other Russians. I'd like to see her school Sharapova again sometime soon.

Marshmallow
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:00 PM

I have to disagree. Myskina can compete with all of them, when she is at HER best. She is very smart, very quick, and can strike the ball really well, and do some amazing things. She still has a winning record against Maria Sharapova (she owns her actually..), and has decent record against Venus, Has beaten Lindsay the last 2 times they've met, And can really push all the others.

You're giving her too little credit for all her talent. :)

MisterQ
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure if Myskina will ever win another slam. But I do think that people are too quick to dismiss her 2004 RG win. She beat No. 11 Kusnetsova in a very tight battle that required great fighting spirit and focus. Then she went on to dismiss No. 4 Venus Williams in straight sets, No. 7 Capriati easily in straight sets, and No. 9 Dementieva easily in straight sets. Venus was a 4-time GS Champion at the time; Capriati was a 3-time Champion and former RG Champion. It's not like other players took all the tough opposition out for her -- she had to beat them herself! Pretty impressive, regardless of how well her opponents were playing.

blumaroo
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Has beaten Lindsay the last 2 times they've met

that is not true

CanadianBoy21
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:56 PM
I saw Anastasia last year at Rogers Cup practising. I called her name after practice, and asked her for a pic. She was very nice and I have a pic of the two of us, and also got an autograph. Then I watched her match, and she hits very well and has smooth groundstrokes.
She'll do just great in the future in my opinion

Almalyk
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:59 PM
Nastya :kiss: No-one can take away your RG trophy of 2004.

Has anyone realised that Nastya beat 5 Top 10 players of that year to lift the trophy?? (Molik, Kuznetsova, Venus, Capriati, Dementieva). So no-one can say she had a soft draw.

The only top player I remember being injured at that time was Clijsters.

Almalyk
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:01 PM
Has beaten Lindsay the last 2 times they've met

that is not true

She beat Lindsay the last two times in 2004 - Kremlin Cup and YEC. Lindsay has won 2 since then.

Carmen Mairena
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:15 PM
Anastasia :hug: I love you :inlove: You're already part of women's tennis history. :worship:

For those who say that Roland Garros 2004 will be her only Grand Slam title: :retard: :smash: :zzz: :nontennisconnaisseur: :teenager: :baby:

Pheobo
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:04 PM
I like her response to her loss to Ai. More players should respond like that (because more often than not it's the truth) "I played ok but my opponent played better"

fammmmedspin
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:23 PM

Thats both historically and analytically not true. Over half of those people won't be playing in two years time - some may have gone by 2007. Sharapova is in some ways marginally better and in some ways worse than she was in 2004 when Myskina had the H2H. Myskina has beaten Justine and Kim and Lindsay (regularly in Lindsay's case) and we know she can beat Venus because she did it last year just after Venus had her week of the year. i That just about leaves Momo, Justine and the Russians. Momo and Justine are hardly the most reliable players and Nastya on 2004 form owned the Russians - none of whom with the exception of Petrova are performing at their 2004 level. Martina is a big threat but you can't have everything.

Her analysis is basically correct - in patches her game looks fine. What she has to do is start turning in matches where her game stays up for enough of the match to actually win. Its not impossible as it happened in 2004 and took her to number 2 even allowing for the missed Olympic and YEC trophies she should have taken along the way.

Spunky83
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:27 PM
I saw Anastasia last year at Rogers Cup practising. I called her name after practice, and asked her for a pic. She was very nice and I have a pic of the two of us, and also got an autograph. Then I watched her match, and she hits very well and has smooth groundstrokes.
She'll do just great in the future in my opinion

She is definetly a better person than she is a professional tennis player. You can interpret my comment differently now but fact is that she is an incredibly nice human being. Another fact is that she can play some brilliant tennis. However it always takes a lot for her to come up with that game.

I am just happy that the grueling 2005 year is over and has come to a good end. 2006 can´t get worse and I am sure she will at least try to reach the latter rounds of tourneys. She owes nothing to her fans or other persons but she definetly owes this to herself and her talent.

Justine Fan
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:44 PM
She is definetly a better person than she is a professional tennis player. You can interpret my comment differently now but fact is that she is an incredibly nice human being. Another fact is that she can play some brilliant tennis. However it always takes a lot for her to come up with that game.

I am just happy that the grueling 2005 year is over and has come to a good end. 2006 can´t get worse and I am sure she will at least try to reach the latter rounds of tourneys. She owes nothing to her fans or other persons but she definetly owes this to herself and her talent.

I can definitely vouch for that! She is a darling and a wonderful human being! Very, warm, welcoming and natural!