PDA

View Full Version : Roland Garros and Martina Hingis

tennisrox
Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:57 AM
Everyone seems to be in love with Hingis these days. The crowds are behind her, the media drools over every little sound bite from her,and Larry Scott can stop hyping blondes for the moment.

The question is,how will the fickle french crowd react to Marti's new avatar?Will they remember the ignominy of her worst moment there?Or will they welcome her with open arms?

What do you lot think?

dinhd82
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:03 AM
haha, this is what I referred to in the other thread! Yeah I'm not sure either. In Dubai, they were rooting for her like she was their own, esp against Sharapova, chanting her name like a rock star! French crowd is different though, they can turn on you at the drop of a dime. They do love their past champions though, and even though Hingis never won singles there, she is a champion, but who knows. Shall we ask the french posters on how they feel about her? Maybe it's a cultural distaste? lol

Martian Stacey
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:15 AM
I can't believe that the French crowd will suddenly love her :lol: I'm sure she will have some support, but there will still be a lot of people who don't like her.

Also, i think it will depend a bit on how Martina acts on the court. If she gets a bit frustrated and starts to throw a raquet, or something like that, the crowd will probably turn on her as usual.

clark.kent
Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:10 PM
The French crowd will adore her, it will be like the complete opposite of previous years :inlove:

martinailuv
Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:12 PM
Some time has passed since Marti played Steffi. Dunno if they'll react in a negative way but while I don't think Marti will be a favourite with the French crowd, they respect her game and possible even cheer for her at times. :)

alfajeffster
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Everyone seems to be in love with Hingis these days. The crowds are behind her, the media drools over every little sound bite from her,and Larry Scott can stop hyping blondes for the moment.

The question is,how will the fickle french crowd react to Marti's new avatar?Will they remember the ignominy of her worst moment there?Or will they welcome her with open arms?

What do you lot think?

If she's smart, and hires a good design team to polish her appearance and suit her up in some frocks that stimulate the French blood, and is seen out and about at some pretty interesting places while she's in Paris, I think she'll be popular. A couple of easy tricks would be (1) go David Bowie red; or (2) pull Anna out of semi-retirement for doubles or even John McEnroe for mixed- sure fire crowd pleasers to have the French in the palm of her hand.

Renaissance
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:16 PM
People will be happy to see her again,but if she has kiddy reactions like 7 years ago i don't think they support her too much... :rolleyes:

dinhd82
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:32 PM
Couple of years back some1 asked Martina if she had forgiven the crowd at Roland Garros, and she replied with "have they forgiven me?". I thought that was just classy of Martina, but for reals, what the hell did you she do to the crowd personally? They need to back off and enjoy tennis for what it is and not get crazy of stupid little things, so annoying when they begin to jeer! If I were Martina, I could care less about them, just ignore them and play my best. While the French might be against Martina, the rest of the world is for her so no need to worry Martina.

Renaissance
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:42 PM
Couple of years back some1 asked Martina if she had forgiven the crowd at Roland Garros, and she replied with "have they forgiven me?". I thought that was just classy of Martina, but for reals, what the hell did you she do to the crowd personally? They need to back off and enjoy tennis for what it is and not get crazy of stupid little things, so annoying when they begin to jeer! If I were Martina, I could care less about them, just ignore them and play my best. While the French might be against Martina, the rest of the world is for her so no need to worry Martina.
:lol:
In France we don't like stupid players with arrogant comments.
Don't pull out of context the jeer,she said on Graf some days before she should retire.Otherwise cross a tennis court and contest the line call just front of Graf was just disrespectful towards her opponent.Martina was just a spoilt child.
After we know the end of the movie Graf kicked her butt. :lol:

densuprun
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
Couple of years back some1 asked Martina if she had forgiven the crowd at Roland Garros, and she replied with "have they forgiven me?". I thought that was just classy of Martina.

There is nothing classy in "an eye for an eye" (or forgiveness for forgiveness). Nothing particularly unclassy, either. Just a regular human behavior.

booa
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:04 PM
The answer is in my user name :)

dinhd82
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Don't pull out of context the jeer,she said on Graf some days before she should retire.Otherwise cross a tennis court and contest the line call just front of Graf was just disrespectful towards her opponent.Martina was just a spoilt child.

How was that disrespecting Graf? Graf stood there like a duck even though she knew it was good, it should be the other way around. It was only about etiquette and nothing personal to the French crowd. you guys need to back the F off!!! Graf didn't beat Martina, Martina beat herself, so she's still better! hahaha Talk about being arrogant? You guy should know!!!!

dinhd82
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
There is nothing classy in "an eye for an eye" (or forgiveness for forgiveness). Nothing particularly unclassy, either. Just a regular human behavior.

What the hell are you talking about? Isn't being classy part of human behavior?

starr
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:10 PM
Graf knew the ball was good. Had Martina done the same thing, she would have been attacked for "disrespecting" Graf. Martina wasn't there to "respect" Graf. Lots of players have respected Graf and lost to her. Graf counted on that intimidation and "respect." It was the ones who didn't respect her who did the best against her.

I'll never forget Seles coming from down 1-4 in the tiebreak and winning! Graf didn't win another point in that tiebreak. Had Seles "respected" her, she might not have done so well.

booa
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:14 PM
Talk about being arrogant? You guy should know!!!!
BOO BOOO BOOOOOOOOOO :p

Fantastic
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
I refuse to believe that the French as a nation could all mutually decide and agree upon disliking Martina Hingis for one incident at Roland Garros. Martina must have fans in France, as she does around the world, who are unconditional in their support for her.

Renaissance
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:21 PM
How was that disrespecting Graf? Graf stood there like a duck even though she knew it was good, it should be the other way around. It was only about etiquette and nothing personal to the French crowd. you guys need to back the F off!!! Graf didn't beat Martina, Martina beat herself, so she's still better! hahaha Talk about being arrogant? You guy should know!!!!
No i don't know what is being arrogant :rolleyes:
Frenchmen are arrogant...what a old bias :lol: I take care about this kind of generalities it can lead to extremism... :tape:

ezekiel
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM
People will be happy to see her again,but if she has kiddy reactions like 7 years ago i don't think they support her too much... :rolleyes:

Yeah, maybe they should hire umpires without visual problems and there would be no reactions

BEEILOVEYA
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM
French people are bitchy, admit it or not. I think that they won't bother Martina on her way to the only slam she hasn't won.

booa
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
French people are bitchy, admit it or not.
boo

Renaissance
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Yeah, maybe they should hire umpires without visual problems and there would be no reactions
Empires are chosen by ITF :rolleyes:

Lachrymarum
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:27 PM
I like the French and I like Martina so hopefully they'll all get along! ;) :p

Renaissance
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:28 PM
Graf knew the ball was good. Had Martina done the same thing, she would have been attacked for "disrespecting" Graf. Martina wasn't there to "respect" Graf. Lots of players have respected Graf and lost to her. Graf counted on that intimidation and "respect." It was the ones who didn't respect her who did the best against her.

I'll never forget Seles coming from down 1-4 in the tiebreak and winning! Graf didn't win another point in that tiebreak. Had Seles "respected" her, she might not have done so well.
:lol: WE HAVE NOT the same tapes,i saw the match in live and the ball was wrong.

Even if it was in her reaction was simply hysterical. :lol:

BEEILOVEYA
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:29 PM
That Ball Was Good!

TonyP
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:33 PM
I love France, but think the actions of the French crowd in '99 were absolutely indefensible. In fact, it was one of the most cowardly displays of behavior I have ever seen.

That being said, I think how Martina will be treated now depends completely on who she is playing. If she is playing Mauresmo or anyone who is French, the crowd will be extremely partisan. If she is playing someone from any other country, many of them will probably back Martina.

More than anything, though, Roland Garros more than any other tournament needs shotspot and it needs to have a great big TV screen over the scoreboard so that the fans can see when linesmen and chair umpires are right and when they are wrong.

dinhd82
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:35 PM
I'm with you Tony, crowd seeing that ball on screen would be like a slap to their faces and should keep their mouths shut!!!!

Martian Mel
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
That ball was good. End of dicussion. If i were Martina than i would have done the same! If Graf had been honest than the point and the title would have gone to Marti and than we wouldn't be having this thread. But she knew that she couldn't win without cheating :fiery:

Renaissance
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:41 PM
I love France, but think the actions of the French crowd in '99 were absolutely indefensible. In fact, it was one of the most cowardly displays of behavior I have ever seen.

That being said, I think how Martina will be treated now depends completely on who she is playing. If she is playing Mauresmo or anyone who is French, the crowd will be extremely partisan. If she is playing someone from any other country, many of them will probably back Martina.

More than anything, though, Roland Garros more than any other tournament needs shotspot and it needs to have a great big TV screen over the scoreboard so that the fans can see when linesmen and chair umpires are right and when they are wrong.i think
if you have great big tv screen it doesn't change so much,Tv doesn't always show the truth, angles can biaised your perception.There are a chair umpire and a lineman so i think it's widely sufficient on clay.They are better place than a viewer to say if the ball was wrong or not.And if the ball is ambiguous you can see the bounce of the ball on clay.In our case,neither the umpire chair nor the lineman said the ball was in..ok you tell me they can make a mistake but i definitely think they are more appropriate to judge if the ball was wrong or not than a martina's fan who is watching the match as a viewer

TonyP
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
Yes, but people can be biased as well. IN fact, they are MORE likely to be biased than a machine is.

If there had been shotspot technology at Roland Garros in '99 none of that would have happened. The ball would have been called in or out by the machine and that would have been the end of it.

griffin
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
That being said, I think how Martina will be treated now depends completely on who she is playing...

Also, on what day it is, who's on strike, how the croissants came out that morning...

Renaissance
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:53 PM
Yes, but people can be biased as well. IN fact, they are MORE likely to be biased than a machine is.

If there had been shotspot technology at Roland Garros in '99 none of that would have happened. The ball would have been called in or out by the machine and that would have been the end of it.
People can be biaised so it's an other problem,you should blame ITF.
But I don't think in the past Martina was harmed by this chair umpire.

Shotspot is a good technology,what a pity it's not used in RG it would be complementary to the bounces on the clay.

booa
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:55 PM
Also, on what day it is, who's on strike, how the croissants came out that morning...

nouf
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:58 PM
martina hingis will be the star to rg!

and nouf will be there 13/15 days + qualifiers! go go martina!

densuprun
Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:58 PM
What the hell are you talking about? Isn't being classy part of human behavior?

Don't pretend to be dumber than you are. There is an average human behavior (something that most people do) and there is a classy one (which would be a step above). An eye for an eye is NOT classy, it's regular.

Brandon85
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:06 PM
the french crowd doesn't support anyone except their own. they can be so weird.

Renaissance
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Graf ,JHH,Majoli are french i didn't know :confused:

alfonsojose
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:20 PM
She should played mixed with Gasquet, and suck his cock :drool:

booa
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:23 PM
boo :devil:
btw taggle

FrenchY52
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:44 PM

No but "they" don't support silly players like Masha Martina or Serena ...

FrenchY52
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:45 PM
French people are bitchy, admit it or not. I think that they won't bother Martina on her way to the only slam she hasn't won.

alwayshingis
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:49 PM

I can't believe anyone is even considering that Martina won't get loved by the crowd. She is a great champion in a comeback...all crowds eat that up, including the French. She will totally be th underdog and the "sentimental choice to win". They love that.

cheo23
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:28 PM
They just don't like her...if she throws her racket, QUESTIONS line Calls( WHICH I KNOW SHE WILL DO:lol: ) & ask the UMPIRE TO GET of the chair to CHECK THE MARK-THEY WILL BOO HER ASS like in 1999 against my idol STEFFI GRAF & I believe also when she lost to J.Cap in 2001 or 2002.

but hopefully, they won't BRING HER TO TEARS!!!!!!!!!! BE STRONG MARTINA!!!

WE LOVE U!!!!!!!!!!!:hearts:

martinailuv
Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:30 PM
I refuse to believe that the French as a nation could all mutually decide and agree upon disliking Martina Hingis for one incident at Roland Garros. Martina must have fans in France, as she does around the world, who are unconditional in their support for her.

:worship:

Marti has fans in France. She may even be their favourite player. :p

FrenchY52
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:54 PM
:haha: :haha:

Seriously though, I love how this thread has brought up some rather stupid/inaccurate generalizations about the French. Really, leave that kind of thinking in the last century please. :p

:kiss: :hearts:

Hots4Safin
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:57 PM

hahahaha, as if the French are not arrogant people.

LoveFifteen
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:58 PM
Martina, if you want to get booed by the French, just mention the sponsors' names in your victory speech! :tape:

booa
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:58 PM
et ça continue :lol:

SAEKeithSerena
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:04 PM

U said it friend:lol: but i think she will have the most support she's ever had, but i still think amelie is a favorite for this title.

FrenchY52
Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:07 PM
hahahaha, as if the French are not arrogant people.

:eek: :mad: :fiery:

AlwaysGraf
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:44 PM
"How was that disrespecting Graf? Graf stood there like a duck even though she knew it was good, it should be the other way around. It was only about etiquette and nothing personal to the French crowd. you guys need to back the F off!!! Graf didn't beat Martina, Martina beat herself, so she's still better! hahaha Talk about being arrogant? You guy should know!!!!"

By the way this is a quote by someone-Can somebody tell me how to put a person's message into my reply-Thank you :)

Now-BOLLOCKS! to saying Hingis is better than Graf. Graf owned Hingis! End of!
Look at the H2H

1995 PARIS CARPET (I) Q S. GRAF 6-2 6-3
1995 WIMBLEDON GRASS (O) R128 S. GRAF 6-3 6-1
1996 ITALIAN OPEN CLAY (O) Q M. HINGIS 2-6 6-2 6-3
1996 WIMBLEDON GRASS (O) R16 S. GRAF 6-1 6-4
1996 US OPEN HARD (O) S S. GRAF 7-5 6-3
1996 CHASE CHAMPIONSHIPS CARPET (I) F S. GRAF 6-3 4-6 6-0 4-6 6-0 1997 TOKYO (PAN PACIFIC) CARPET (I) F M. HINGIS W/O
1998 PHILADELPHIA CARPET (I) Q S. GRAF 6-2 4-6 6-0
1999 TOKYO (PAN PACIFIC) CARPET (I) Q M. HINGIS 3-6 6-2 6-4
1999 FRENCH OPEN CLAY (O) F S. GRAF 4-6 7-5 6-2

Hingis has 1 walkover win- so I don't count that
And I watched the tokyo match in 1999-Graf was cramping at the end and could hardly move-i think she might have been 3-1 up in the final set before she started to cramp!
so i really only give hingis her win in the italian open

Oh and by the way-1998 the year after hingis reached 4 slam finals-and the yr she won the AO, runner up at W AND UO (i think) she got spanked by a Steffi Graf who was only really coming back from a long injury period 6-0 in the third set in philadelphia
And then steffi went on to beat davenport
who by the way should not have won their meeting in the semi finals at the chase the following week because steffi was on her way to victory again when she cramped-davenport got lucky and i was denied the chance to see graf teach hingis yet another lesson in the finla- oh how hingis must have been relieved she wasn't up against steffi!!!!!!!

Pinky
Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon85

No but "they" don't support silly players like Masha Martina or Serena ...

--------------------
Tatiana Golovin
2004 Roland-Garros Mixed Doubles Champion
Amélie Mauresmo
Former World #1 / 2005 Masters Champion / 2006 AO Champion
Mary Pierce
1995 AO Champion / 2000 Roland-Garros Champion
All the French Team
2003 Fed Cup Winner
--------------------

:rolls: Sorry but I had to put your signature in the quote! :rolls:

Hingie
Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
Yes i am a Hingis fan but the behaviour of the crowd that day was weird. Anne-Lassere Ullrich was looking for the ball mark over a metre from where it actually landed. Putting myself in Martina's shoes, i would have been annoyed and frustrated as all hell and charged over to the other side also! And what did Graf do? Turned her back.... real classy - NOT!

AlwaysGraf - maybe you should go back into retirement like your Idol. Graf was outclassed in every way in that match, that was a title Martina should have won, she played better for the majority and if it wasn't for such extreme reactions from the crowd she would have a French Open title. And to rip out a head to head against players who were in completely different stages of their careers when they competed is crazy. But you continue to do so to make yourself feel better and reaffirm that Graf was the be-all and end-all of tennis. You failed to mention the Chase match where Martina was cramping in the 4th and 5th sets as a 15 year old. You see, we can both rip out statistics that better favour our opinions depending on who we actually like better!

The French continue to be a volatile crowd who turn hot and cold - it's interesting and weird at the same time.

Renaissance
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:11 PM
et ça continue :lol:
booooooooooooooooo

cogent53
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:39 PM
I am a huge Graf fan, and that final was just amazing for the drama. Hingis really did lose her cool and lost the respect of the VERY fickle Frnech crowd. That is what I love about Roland Garrod though - they are more individual and unpredictbale than pretty much any of the other slams! Steffi was a HUGE HUGE favourite that day as she was at the tail end of her career and people were rooting ofr her so much. Hingos behanved badly - but the crowd were amazingly biased too.
Hingis is a great player, and I am so glad to see her back. She adds another dimension to the tour and it is definitely a good thing. There isn't another player like her, and she has to be given huge credit for coming back so well. her standard of play is outstanding - it's like she's never been away, but improved her serve! I hope the French crowd welcome her, but I think if she plays a favourite of theirs - Pierce or Mauresmo, or maybe Henin who is also a big favourite - she could well encounter hostility of she geos behind and gets stroppy.
Should be fun!! Just home Amelie can carry her fabulous form through - i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see her win at Roland Garros!

saab95
Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:39 PM
Now I want Mauresmo for Marti in the RG's draw.
That's the way to make crowd to talk first week about them and about Marti only for the second )))

Veritas
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:56 AM
I can't believe that the French crowd will suddenly love her :lol: I'm sure she will have some support, but there will still be a lot of people who don't like her.

Also, i think it will depend a bit on how Martina acts on the court. If she gets a bit frustrated and starts to throw a raquet, or something like that, the crowd will probably turn on her as usual.

That's what I was thinking as well :lol:

A few cheers here and there, but the French can be a vengeful bunch. It looks as if they'll be more interested in cheering their asses off to make sure Maurasemo wins on home soil. They'll probably do anything short of Hamburg '93 to make sure it happens.

By the way this is a quote by someone-Can somebody tell me how to put a person's message into my reply-Thank you

At least we know you're not an incarnation of Calimero :lol:

Hingis has 1 walkover win- so I don't count that

A match Martina would've won anyway. It was '97 - Hingis was dominating and Graf was struggling big time :tape:

And I watched the tokyo match in 1999-Graf was cramping at the end and could hardly move-i think she might have been 3-1 up in the final set before she started to cramp!
so i really only give hingis her win in the italian open

Hingis was pestered and abused by an unsavoury crowd. It clearly got to her mentally.

So I wouldn't give Graf that RG win.

:rolleyes:

Oh and by the way-1998 the year after hingis reached 4 slam finals-and the yr she won the AO, runner up at W AND UO (i think)

Get your facts straight. It was 2 Slam finals: the AO and the USO.

she got spanked by a Steffi Graf who was only really coming back from a long injury period 6-0 in the third set in philadelphia

3 sets isn't considered a "spanking" :haha:

And then steffi went on to beat davenport
who by the way should not have won their meeting in the semi finals at the chase the following week

Shouldn't, but did :)

because steffi was on her way to victory again when she cramped-davenport got lucky and i was denied the chance to see graf teach hingis yet another lesson in the finla-

Poor baby :baby:

oh how hingis must have been relieved she wasn't up against steffi!!!!!!!

"Would'a, could'a, should'a". You Graf fans sure are a hypocritical bunch :tape:

Veritas
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Now I want Mauresmo for Marti in the RG's draw.
That's the way to make crowd to talk first week about them and about Marti only for the second )))

Same. Except I want Martina to beat Maurasemo at the RG final. That'll be sure to break a lot of hearts :hearts:

AlwaysGraf
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Lol- still can't put these quotes into my messages- I see you had fun picking apart my post "veritas" I see where you're coming from but still not gonna say hingis was better as someone before me did. Ok, I can't really spin the whole cramping thing, and as much as I respect Hingis' talent-she really has a beautiful game-i just didn't like her arrogant attitude prior to her comeback-it got on my tits! I have no sympathy for her actions at the french especially when she previously said that graf was old and should retire-the french crowd were tame on her-throw her to the lions- lol

ps--it's light hearted banter!

Volcana
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Hingis made the semis in 2000 and 2001. My (admittedly faint) recollection is that the crowd was wildn't against her in 2001.

More of an issue may be two French players in the top ten. If she's playing Mauresmo or Pierce, the crowd will be foresquare against.

skanky~skanketta
Mar 4th, 2006, 06:45 AM
the slightest error from martina there and it's back to square one.

Seyz
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Well after the Serena v.s. JHH incident, where the French booed Serena to tears and were the rudest crowd I've ever witnessed in any tournament, I can't say I can give them the benefit of the doubt. If they want to be rude to Martina (depending on their mood), they're not going to hold back. And they don't need a reason either.

Sam L
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:30 AM
The French are sentimental. If Pierce and Choko are out before Martina, they'll get behind Martina for sure.

Lodvg
Mar 4th, 2006, 08:39 AM
To my mind, not only the crowd, but the medias too (France Télévisions does it every year) will be :hearts: with Martina until she will face a frenchy (particularly Pierce and Mauresmo)!! This day, they will have no pity with her :o And I say it being myself french. We have got (I try not to be as this) a mentality of boys and girls of 6 or 7 years old. Lunatic people! :lol:

FrenchY52
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon85

:rolls: Sorry but I had to put your signature in the quote! :rolls:

Yeahhh i like Ana Ivanovic Maggy Maleeva but there isn't any "french stereotype" ....

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:20 AM
To my mind, not only the crowd, but the medias too (France Télévisions does it every year) will be :hearts: with Martina until she will face a frenchy (particularly Pierce and Mauresmo)!! This day, they will have no pity with her :o And I say it being myself french. We have got (I try not to be as this) a mentality of boys and girls of 6 or 7 years old. Lunatic people! :lol:
ah bon qu'est-ce qu'ils vont faire ??

Giuliano
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Tu viens d'où booa au fait?

Lodvg
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:40 AM

bé je peux pas te dire avec exactitude ce qu'ils vont faire, je suis pas médium :lol: Mais en tout cas, je sais ce que font les journalistes (si on peut les appeler ainsi) tous les ans et leurs petites blagues insupportables! Et oui, je pense qu'ils vont 'lécher les bottes' à Martina Hingis tant qu'elle ne se retrouvera pas face à une française! à ce moment là, ils commenceront à trouver des choses à critiquer de la suisesse, et s'ils ne les trouvent pas, ils parleront de son attitude déplorable (et oui, je ne l'aime pas forcément!) dans le passé!

FrenchY52
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Si tu parle des Journalistes de Francetelevisions urm oé ils sont "leche-botte" mais ils sont fair-play et ils ne critiquent pas les joueurs ..

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Tu viens d'où booa au fait?
France mais chuuuuut faut pas le dire :lol:

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:03 PM
bé je peux pas te dire avec exactitude ce qu'ils vont faire, je suis pas médium :lol: Mais en tout cas, je sais ce que font les journalistes (si on peut les appeler ainsi) tous les ans et leurs petites blagues insupportables! Et oui, je pense qu'ils vont 'lécher les bottes' à Martina Hingis tant qu'elle ne se retrouvera pas face à une française! à ce moment là, ils commenceront à trouver des choses à critiquer de la suisesse, et s'ils ne les trouvent pas, ils parleront de son attitude déplorable (et oui, je ne l'aime pas forcément!) dans le passé!
Pour les petites blagues je suis bien d'accord que c chiant mais c pas non plus spécifique à Fr2/3.Et tu me dis que tu n'es pas médium alors que là tu prévois déjà qu'ils vont la critiquer quand elle jouera contre une française comme si c'était inscrit dans leurs gènes quoi ... Et personnellement j'aime pas du tout leurs commentaires mais faut pas nons plu pousser en disant qu'ils critiquent tous les joueurs qui jouent contre les français.

lolo21
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:16 PM
personnally i think everything will be fine for Martina with the french public( apart if she plays a french player....but eh the same goes for all the other foreign players) for one main reason: she seems to have matured a lot......and the french crowd will note that.

she doesn t seem to be anymore the little girl who used to cry everytime things didn t go her way......she was viewed like a spoiled child by the french crowd and that was probably the main reason why she was booed.

BEEILOVEYA
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:22 PM
FO 1999 was Martina's. No one will ever explain why Graf wasn't fair enough and she only stood there like a duck yeah. Martina was a bit young there but i think i would be equally pissed off by that line call. French people are rude, self centered and egoistic. They booed serena, and many other great champions 2.

Lodvg
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Pour les petites blagues je suis bien d'accord que c chiant mais c pas non plus spécifique à Fr2/3.Et tu me dis que tu n'es pas médium alors que là tu prévois déjà qu'ils vont la critiquer quand elle jouera contre une française comme si c'était inscrit dans leurs gènes quoi ... Et personnellement j'aime pas du tout leurs commentaires mais faut pas nons plu pousser en disant qu'ils critiquent tous les joueurs qui jouent contre les français.

J'ai dis que je pense qu'ils feront cela, mais espérons que je me trompe! Mais ça m'étonnerait... Et oui, critiquer, ils critiquent... et des fois assez méchamment, mais bon, c'est dans leur nature, ils sont cons, on ne peut rien y faire... J'ai pris l'habitude de regarder Roland Garros sans son!

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:32 PM
J'ai dis que je pense qu'ils feront cela, mais espérons que je me trompe! Mais ça m'étonnerait... Et oui, critiquer, ils critiquent... et des fois assez méchamment, mais bon, c'est dans leur nature, ils sont cons, on ne peut rien y faire... J'ai pris l'habitude de regarder Roland Garros sans son!
On est plutôt d'accord alors :) mais par contre les critiques et les commentaires de merde c pas spécifique à Fr2/3 ou aux commentateurs français ...

Lodvg
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:40 PM
On est plutôt d'accord alors :) mais par contre les critiques et les commentaires de merde c pas spécifique à Fr2/3 ou aux commentateurs français ...

je sais pas si dans d'autres pays les commentateurs sont d'un autre niveau... bon si, en Espagne, du moins, quand s'affrontent un espagnol et un joueur non espagnol, les commentateurs reconnaissent les mérites du non espagnol aussi bien que ceux de l'espagnol (et ça, en France, ils ne le font pas... ils se limitent à chercher des explications bidons 'il/elle a eu un mauvais jour' 'c'est à cause de la pluie/du vent'... lol ça devient rigolo à force!)

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:40 PM
FO French people are rude, self centered and egoistic.
France = 60,7 millions
Crowd on the center court = 15,000 people (btw there aren't only French people in the crowd .. )
So :rolleyes:

Lodvg
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:43 PM
France = 60,7 millions
Crowd on the center court = 15,000 people (btw there aren't only French people in the crowd .. )

exactly!
we can not generalise. 'il y a de tout partout' ;)

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:43 PM
je sais pas si dans d'autres pays les commentateurs sont d'un autre niveau... bon si, en Espagne, du moins, quand s'affrontent un espagnol et un joueur non espagnol, les commentateurs reconnaissent les mérites du non espagnol aussi bien que ceux de l'espagnol (et ça, en France, ils ne le font pas... ils se limitent à chercher des explications bidons 'il/elle a eu un mauvais jour' 'c'est à cause de la pluie/du vent'... lol ça devient rigolo à force!)
Euh là je trouve que t'exagères un peu voire même bcp , ils ne sont pas constamment en train de critiquer les non-français et ils leur reconnaissent même des qualités, étonnant non ? mais c'est sûr que si tu coupes le son,t'entends peut-être pas tout ...

Lodvg
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Euh là je trouve que t'exagères un peu voire même bcp , ils ne sont pas constamment en train de critiquer les non-français et ils leur reconnaissent même des qualités, étonnant non ? mais c'est sûr que si tu coupes le son,t'entends peut-être pas tout ...

alors ils ont dû changer dernièrement!
par contre, ils continuent avec leurs bds à la noix :o

BEEILOVEYA
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:49 PM
France = 60,7 millions

so there must be each and every year the same 15 000 people in the crowd. because it is the same sh!t all the time in the FO.booing.

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:56 PM
alors ils ont dû changer dernièrement!
par contre, ils continuent avec leurs bds à la noix :o
On verra ça cette année, je suivrai attentivement les commentaires pour voir s'ils sont si terribles que ça :)

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:56 PM
so there must be each and every year the same 15 000 people in the crowd.
yes

Lodvg
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:00 PM
On verra ça cette année, je suivrai attentivement les commentaires pour voir s'ils sont si terribles que ça :)

j'en ferai de même :)

FrenchY52
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:00 PM
so there must be each and every year the same 15 000 people in the crowd. because it is the same sh!t all the time in the FO.booing.

I'd love to see the crowd of a "Slovenia Open" :)

Lodvg
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I'd love to see the crowd of a "Slovenia Open" :)

il faut quand même reconnaître notre chauvinisme excessif!

FrenchY52
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Mais le public Francais est quand mm CONNAISSEUR et fair-play .. Mwa jlaime bien le public caracteriel de Roland ! :p

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM
C'est ce qu'on essaie de nous faire croire et apparemment ça marche :)

FrenchY52
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:08 PM
C'est ce qu'on essaie de nous faire croire et apparemment ça marche :)

On aime nos joueurs(euses) et on les défend n'est-ce point normal ?

Lodvg
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:09 PM
chacun a ses opinions. pour ma part, je pense que nous sommes trop chauvins. un peu ok, mais trop c'est trop ;)

FrenchY52
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Ba wé c les Francais :angel:

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:16 PM
On aime nos joueurs(euses) et on les défend n'est-ce point normal ?
Ben moi perso je suis pas particulièrement fan des joueurs français, mais je trouve pas ça choquant que des gens qui ne suivent le tennis qu'au moment de roland garros supportent les français, je vois pas où est le mal.Au foot j'y connais pas gd chose donc durant la coupe du monde je supporte l'équipe nationale mais selon certains c du patriotisme exacerbé typiquement français ...

Giuliano
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Ben moi perso je suis pas particulièrement fan des joueurs français, mais je trouve pas ça choquant que des gens qui ne suivent le tennis qu'au moment de roland garros supportent les français, je vois pas où est le mal.Au foot j'y connais pas gd chose donc durant la coupe du monde je supporte l'équipe nationale mais selon certains c du patriotisme exacerbé typiquement français ...
Le typiquement français a tendance à me hérisser le poil.

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:20 PM
chacun a ses opinions. pour ma part, je pense que nous sommes trop chauvins. un peu ok, mais trop c'est trop ;)
Les gens supportent les sportifs de leur pays, je vois pas trop où est le mal.Dans les autres pays ils font la même chose et on leur reproche pas un quelconque chauvinisme ou patriotisme ... alors bon ça commence à me gonfler ces généralités à la con qui resortent sur ce thread alors que la plupart n'ont jms dû foutre un pied en France ou ont au plus passé 1 semaine à Paris.Ca me fait penser à une série TV américaine où ils allaient en voyage en France et à chaque balcon y'avait un drapeau bleu blanc rouge pr bien montrer qu'on est tous des gros chauvins et blablabla alors que personnellement j'ai jms vu aucun drapeau bleu blanc rouge dans un jardin contrairement aux Etats-Unis.

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Le typiquement français a tendance à me hérisser le poil.
Un français qui s'énerve, c typique ça :lol:

FrenchY52
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Actuellement en france les valeurs de la republique francaise, etc .. commencent à se perdre, des francais insultent leur "drapeau" alors je vois pas comment tu peux parler de patriotisme et urmm "typiquement francais" :confused: ;) ( ok boaa )

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Actuellement en france les valeurs de la republique francaise, etc .. commencent à se perdre, des francais insultent leur "drapeau" alors je vois pas comment tu peux parler de patriotisme et urmm "typiquement francais" :confused:
c'était ironique justement ;)

FrenchY52
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Je parle de messages de bcp de gens dans ce Thread

Pinky
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Yeahhh i like Ana Ivanovic Maggy Maleeva but there isn't any "french stereotype" ....

Hehe t'exite pas FrenchY, c'etait quand meme comique que ce soit toi avec ta signature qui ne contient que des joueuses francaises et l'equipe de France qui t'insurge contre quelqu'un qui dit que les francais ne supportent que les leurs ;)

Etant Suisse et regardant la tele francaise et frequentant nombre de francais, il faut quand meme avouer que de facon generale les francais sont specialement chauvins... et qu'ils se braquent des qu'on le leur dit, comme si c'etait la pire des tarres!!! C'est pas bien grave, juste un peu embetant quand on ecoute certaines retransmissions sportives de la tv francaise... Ce qu'on fait quand meme vu que les commentateurs francais sont nettement meilleurs que les suisses :P

Pour ceux qui connaisent Marc Mingoia sur Eurosport, ce gars est genial, un peu de chauvinisme, une grande connaissance du sport qu'il commente, un enthousiasme de folie... dommage qu'il vienne de prendre sa retraite en tant que commentateur sur ES :(

Sans rancune :D

Sorry for our english speaking hosts, i'll be back to english now ;)

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Hehe t'exite pas FrenchY, c'etait quand meme comique que ce soit toi avec ta signature qui ne contient que des joueuses francaises et l'equipe de France qui t'insurge contre quelqu'un qui dit que les francais ne supportent que les leurs ;)
C'est vrai que ça c'était assez marrant :)
Etant Suisse et regardant la tele francaise et frequentant nombre de francais, il faut quand meme avouer que de facon generale les francais sont specialement chauvins... et qu'ils se braquent des qu'on le leur dit, comme si c'etait la pire des tarres!!!
C'est normal qu'on se braque parce que le mot "chauvin" a un côté péjoratif selon moi.Et peut-être que je suis aveugle mais j'ai du mal à percevoir le chauvinisme spécialement français dont tu parles donc pourrais tu donner quelques exemples ?

Lodvg
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM
je suis d'accord sur plusieurs choses, mais pas sur tout. quant au fait que l'on supporte les joueurs ou sportifs de son pays... c'est pas le cas de tout le monde! moi, par exemple, je suis Tommy Robredo depuis plus de 5 ans déjà, non pas parce qu'il est espagnol, mais parce que je trouve son jeu incroyable et, en plus de cela, il est fair play à fond... :worship: Tommy :worship: lol

booa
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:34 PM
je suis d'accord sur plusieurs choses, mais pas sur tout. quant au fait que l'on supporte les joueurs ou sportifs de son pays... c'est pas le cas de tout le monde! moi, par exemple, je suis Tommy Robredo depuis plus de 5 ans déjà, non pas parce qu'il est espagnol, mais parce que je trouve son jeu incroyable et, en plus de cela, il est fair play à fond... :worship: Tommy :worship: lol
Oui je ne dis pas qu'il faut supporter un sportif prcq il est de notre pays, et rassure toi moi aussi je ne supporte pas que des sportifs français.Mais je voulais dire que je ne trouve pas choquant de supporter les athlètes de notre pays lorsque l'on ne connaît pas grand chose à un sport, c'est un peu ce qui se passe dans tous les pays durant la coupe de monde de foot, et pourtant on va pas qualifier tous ces gens de chauvins.

Hingie
Mar 5th, 2006, 02:21 AM

I have to agree with you on this one. I mean, the French Open is played on clay and it is every player's right to question line calls because of the mark that is left but everytime anyone does this the crowd goes off - it's very bizarre.

Maybe they should make the French Open a hardcourt slam so ball marks are no longer an issue??? :confused:

Supermonica
Mar 5th, 2006, 05:59 AM

What do you lot think?

She will be the sentimental crowd favourite for sure.

Supermonica
Mar 5th, 2006, 06:01 AM
If she's smart, and hires a good design team to polish her appearance and suit her up in some frocks that stimulate the French blood, and is seen out and about at some pretty interesting places while she's in Paris, I think she'll be popular. A couple of easy tricks would be (1) go David Bowie red; or (2) pull Anna out of semi-retirement for doubles ....

What about Steffi .....? :tape:

Supermonica
Mar 5th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Seles respected Graf bigtime. And beat her now and then in the big matches ...
Hingis didn't respect Graf. And got her ass handed to her.

To compare a classy player like Monica with an ass**** like (young) Hingis is an insult to Monica.

Supermonica
Mar 5th, 2006, 06:14 AM

Hingis turned the crowd against her with her bratty behaviour. Until then the crowd was pretty even in their support. But Hingis started racket-throwing after 15 minutes, laughed mockingly about her opponent and so on.
Martina got what she deserved.

Although I still resent the French crowd a little bit for their Steffi support in the 1992 final ..... :mad: (Didn't help ...... :tape:)

Supermonica
Mar 5th, 2006, 06:18 AM
That ball was good. End of dicussion. If i were Martina than i would have done the same! If Graf had been honest than the point and the title would have gone to Marti and than we wouldn't be having this thread. But she knew that she couldn't win without cheating :fiery:

1. No-one can say whether the ball was good. The TV pics can't prove this.
2. Graf most probably didn't see it either.
3. This rally was most unimportant (first point of third game in second set).
4. Hingis was a brat and got what she deserved - a very satifying day for all tennis fans (yes, even Seles fans!).

Supermonica
Mar 5th, 2006, 06:27 AM
AlwaysGraf - maybe you should go back into retirement like your Idol. Graf was outclassed in every way in that match, that was a title Martina should have won, she played better for the majority and if it wasn't for such extreme reactions from the crowd she would have a French Open title. And to rip out a head to head against players who were in completely different stages of their careers when they competed is crazy. But you continue to do so to make yourself feel better and reaffirm that Graf was the be-all and end-all of tennis. You failed to mention the Chase match where Martina was cramping in the 4th and 5th sets as a 15 year old. You see, we can both rip out statistics that better favour our opinions depending on who we actually like better!

The French continue to be a volatile crowd who turn hot and cold - it's interesting and weird at the same time.

Graf was the better player that day. As soon as she cut her unforced error rate down Hingis didn't have (never had actually!) the weapons to pose a threat to Graf.

BTW, Hingis was 16 (not 15) years old when she played Graf at the Chase Champs in 1996. And Graf had big knee troubles throughout the match.

Hingie
Mar 5th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Big deal - 15, 16.

Knee trouble - there's always an excuse isn't there!!

And whether you want to admit it or not, Graf was outplayed in that final until that line call, then Hingis beat herself!

Supermonica
Mar 5th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Big deal - 15, 16.

Knee trouble - there's always an excuse isn't there!!

And whether you want to admit it or not, Graf was outplayed in that final until that line call, then Hingis beat herself!

Cramping - that is not even an excuse for a 16-year-old.

Graf was clearly the better player that day. The true final was in the semis when Graf almost lost to Monica Seles. Two classy ladies battling it out. The final was a big let-down compared to it ....

xtooL
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Anyone can hook me up with a link to the video or smth ? Other than megaupload?