PDA

View Full Version : Valérie Tétreault

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:19 AM
I can't believe Val didn't her have thread yet!

After getting in the top 30 in the juniors last year, she just reached the finals in the 25k in Saguenay, losing to in a nailbitter to Kerber.

Today, she just defeated Jess Kirkland, ranked 182 and the first seed of the tourney in St-Georges! Her best win ever, shows how determined she is.

You can check her official website, only in french though, made by Anik and Alain www.valerie-tetreault.com (http://www.valerie-tetreault.com) !

Val isn't the loudest girl. She doesn't get as much attention as Aleks or Sharon. But she is the most mature girl, the hardest worker, and she might surprise a lot and have a brilliant career! :bounce:

matthieu_tennis
Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
lets go val all quebecers are behind you ;)

Drake1980
Feb 24th, 2006, 04:22 AM
and non-quebecers as well!!!

Boss monkey
Feb 24th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Valerie beat former top 100 player Angelika Roesch 6-2 6-4 :eek:

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 25th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Poor Angelika, such a slump! But great win Val!

Val lost today 6-4 6-4 to Julie Coin, promising french player! Still two great weeks!

Belmont Lad
Feb 25th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Valerie beat former top 100 player Angelika Roesch 6-2 6-4 :eek:

Woot! I'm so happy we have another Canadian to cheer for! Go Val :bounce: :bounce:

Anik
Feb 27th, 2006, 02:59 PM
new ranking for Val :)

520 (865) TETREAULT, VALERIE CAN 25.75 0.00 6

¤CharlDa¤
Feb 27th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Great jump, it'll be even better with her qf of St-Georges getting in the ranks next week!

patricktav2003
Feb 27th, 2006, 07:07 PM
big jump for Val
maybe top 500th next week!!

Anik
Aug 9th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Cargill outlasts upstart
By BOB MACKIN -- 24 Hours Vancouver

American Ansley Cargill repeated as Odlum Brown Vancouver Open women's singles tennis champion Sunday in West Vancouver with a 7-5, 6-4 win over unseeded Quebecer Valerie Tetreault.

Cargill, the 24-year-old Atlanta-born number-one seed, used her double-handed backhand and patience at the net to beat Tetreault. Tetreault, an 18-year-old from Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que. showed strength on the baseline in the U.S. Tennis Association pro tournament at Hollyburn Country Club.

"She came out strong," said Cargill. "[The difference] was a couple points here and there and being more aggressive."

Tetreault upset top seed Ryoko Fuda of Japan in Saturday's semifinal and opened the final with a first-game win. She led 3-2, but Cargill eventually took charge at 5-3. Tetreault battled back to break serve for a 5-5 tie. Cargill did the same for a 6-5 advantage and outlasted Tetreault to win the first set 7-5.

"We had some really long rallies," Tetreault said. "In the second [set] we were both a little more tired, we tried to go for winners earlier in the points."

Tetreault and Cargill traded points until the veteran broke serve for a 4-3 lead when Tetreault ended a long rally with a shot into the net from the baseline.

Despite losing a game on three out-of-bounds shots, Cargill was able to prevent Tetreault from winning another point. * South African Rik De Voest beat American Amer Delic 7-6, (7-4), 6-2 in the men's final. Americans Eric Butorac and Travis Parrot were doubles winners over Delic and American Glenn Weiner 4-6, 6-3, 11-9.

Anik
Aug 9th, 2006, 08:37 PM
http://vanopen.com/images/main-image9.jpg

http://www.vanopen.com/images/main-image6.jpg

Anik
Aug 9th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Val will be around 275 next week :)

myxomatosis
Aug 10th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the pics!

Anik
Mar 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Val is in the quarter finals at Irapuato Challenger [25k]

Anik
Jun 1st, 2009, 12:59 PM
Canadian Valerie Tetreault defeats Alexandra Stevenson to win first pro title

By THE CANADIAN PRESS – 10 hours ago

CARSON, Calif. — Valerie Tetreault of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., won her first pro title Sunday after defeating Alexandra Stevenson of the United States at the Home Depot USTA Challenger.

The unseeded 21-year-old defeated No.8-seed Stevenson 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 in a hotly disputed singles final.

Tetreault, ranked No. 304 on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour rankings, beat Julia Cohen of the U.S. in straight sets Saturday en route to the final.

She faced a much stiffer test in the Sunday, after losing the opening set to Stevenson to take home the US$7,700 winner's purse.

Tetreault will become one of six Canadian women to be ranked in the top 300 when the new Tour rankings are released following the conclusion of the French Open.

Anik
Jun 5th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Tétreault rediscovers her love of tennis
By STEPHANIE MYLES, The GazetteJune 3, 2009

Before a sparse crowd, nine time zones and a universe away from the famed red clay of Roland Garros, Aleksandra Wozniak's old junior rival was making her own way.

And a year after seriously considering giving up her lifelong dream of being a professional tennis player, Valérie Tétreault won her first title.

The Home Depot Challenger, a minor-league event offering $50,000 U.S. in prize money, isn't the French Open. But the 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 win in the final against former Wimbledon semifinalist Alexandra Stevenson tasted just as sweet to the 21-year-old from St. Jean sur Richelieu.

"It's really one of those things where afterward, you start thinking a little bit about where you've been. A year ago, I never would have thought that, a year later, I could win," Tétreault said. "I was getting on the court back then and all I had in my head was 'I can't lose.' That's not the best approach."

Tétreault's first year as a pro in 2006 had gone remarkably well. Playing small tournaments, she jumped more than 700 spots in the rankings up to No. 239 in the world - right on the cusp of being able to play the qualifying at the Grand Slam events.

But going back to do it again the next year, and the next, proved a much bigger challenge. The crisis of confidence came quickly.

Last April, Tétreault left on what was to be a six-week tour of the U.S. At her first stop in Florida, in the first round, she played an obscure American named Stacia Fonseca, a wild card. She lost in three sets, called home, and told her parents she just couldn't do it any more.

It was rock bottom, just about. Tétreault went home.

"Sitting on the plane, I thought tennis was really done," she said.

The crisis didn't last long. Three days later, she was back on the court with local pro Jack Cinciripini.

"He started to say: 'You look like you still like it; you always call me to play,' " Tétreault said. "So it crossed my mind that I hadn't lost the love for the sport. It was just in my head that it wasn't working."

There were other issues. She made a coaching change, and began working with Cinciripini. She put in the time in the gym, something she hadn't done enough.

"I realized that I was playing too defensively," she said. "Slowly, I tried to change that, take the ball earlier and control the points more. I already knew that, but it took the courage to do it on the big points."

Tétreault trained through the summer, and other than a couple of matches in Canada didn't play another tournament until October.

She pretty much had to start over; when your ranking is below No. 600, you're playing the qualifying in tiny events, trying to earn back computer points practically one at a time.

Sunday, it all came together. In addition to the welcome winner's cheque of $7,700 U.S., Tétreault should see her ranking (which stood at No. 304 going in), jump up close to her career high of No. 221 once the rankings are updated after the French Open.

"If it all hadn't happened, I might not be here today," Tétreault said. "Now, it's part of my baggage. The page is turned and good things are happening. At the beginning of the year, my goal was to finish in the top 250. I didn't think it would come so quickly, but I'll take it.

Tétreault's short-term goal is to make it into the qualifying at this summer's U.S. Open, which would be her first Grand Slam appearance. And out in California last week, she was keeping a close eye on Paris and the success of Wozniak, only four months older, but among the world's top 25.

"Every day, I was checking her results," Tétreault said. "And I was remembering when we were in the 10-and-unders, in a tournament in St. Basile le Grand. We would always play in the finals. She usually won, but we often went three sets. And now, to see her playing Serena (Williams). ... She's the same Aleks that I practise with all the time.

"We all dreamed of that, way back then. And now, Aleks is right there. It tells us that if she can do it, we can get there, too."

Anik
Jun 15th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Canadian takes home USTA title
By Bill Knight / El Paso Times
Posted: 06/14/2009 10:06:17 PM MDT

EL PASO -- Valerie Tetreault could feel the excitement building inside her, the kind of excitement that can rob you of your calm ... that can rob you of success.

"I was thinking, oh my God, I'm about to win this thing," the 21-year-old from Montreal, Canada, said. "I sat there in my chair, just getting calm, just thinking about every little thing I needed to do. From there on, I took it point by point. I know that's a cliche. But that's what you have to do. And that's what I did."

Indeed she did.

Tetreault took care of each of those points, one by one, holding her own serve and then closing out the match with one more service break, defeating Mashona Washington 6-4, 6-3 on a hot, still Sunday morning in the $25,000 Hunt Communities USTA Women's Pro Tennis Classic at Tennis West Sports & Racquet Club.

Washington, the 33-year-old from Houston, played well all week and played well Sunday morning. The first set was a wonderful duel with both players making special shots. Tetreault broke Washington at love with the set at 2-all and that one break was all it took. Tetreault, leading 5-3, had a set point but Washington stared it down with a pair of strong forehands and an ace out wide, cutting the lead to 5-4 and forcing Tetreault to serve out the set.

No worries. Tetreault held at love and took the opening set.

Tetreault got an early break in the second set, taking a 2-1 lead, but Washington broke right back, leveling the set at 2-all. But it was the only dent Washington could put in the Tetreault serve all morning. Back on serve, Washington was serving to go up 4-3 and looked on her way to an easy service game, leading 30-love. But Tetreault ran around a backhand and scorched a forehand winner cross court for the point. Washington then missed a forehand long by an inch and it simply unraveled. Tetreault broke to go up 4-3 -- and that was when she started getting excited.

The 33-year-old Washington, who is trying to work her way toward the top again after a serious knee injury, said, "I just don't know if I was mentally ready in the beginning. I was kind of all over the place. She definitely made her shots. She played well. But it was a good tournament for me. It's been a while since I put a string of matches together. Obviously, I would have loved to have won but this was a good result for both of us. I think we both have a lot more tennis ahead of us this summer."

Tetreault is flying somewhere around Cloud Nine right now, having won 10 consecutive matches -- five to win the $50,000 USTA event in Carson, Calif., two weeks ago and five to win this $25,000 event in El Paso.

Breaking into a big smile, she said, "It does give you a lot of confidence. You go on the court and feel almost unbeatable. I played a couple of tournaments in Europe on clay and I'm really much better on hard courts. I had a tough time over there and I went back home to Montreal to practice. I was very excited to be playing hard courts again. My coach and I practiced hard for three weeks, worked on some little things on my serve, on my backhand and on my mental game. I also read a book."

What book did she read?

Tetreault reached down, pulled the book out of her tennis bag, a book titled "The Best Tennis of Your Life."

She smiled and said, "It's a simple book but sometimes we forget to do the simple things."

Pausing, smiling again, she shrugged and added, "I guess it's the right title."

Sunday morning's result made that very clear.

hellas719
Sep 9th, 2009, 10:20 PM
My USO Q Pics (bad quality, I know)-

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu244/tennisace719/US%20Open%202009%20Q/034.jpg?t=1252534630

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu244/tennisace719/US%20Open%202009%20Q/020.jpg?t=1252534688

http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/uu244/tennisace719/US%20Open%202009%20Q/003-1.jpg

I really don't know how they turned out so bad:shrug:

orkidman
Sep 11th, 2009, 06:41 PM
THOUGHT I'D LET VALERIE FANS KNOW THAT I POSTED 10 HQ PIX OF HER FIRST ROUND MATCH FOR VIEWING AT:

http://sports.webshots.com/album/574602361oDbFKF

THIS IS A COMBINED ALBUM WITH ALEKSANDRA WOZNIAK'S PHOTOS AS WELL. THEY WERE PLAYING DIFFERENT OPPONENTS, OF COURSE. BEST VIEWED IN FULL SCREEN, BUT INDIVIDUAL SIZE, AS WELL AS SLIDE SHOW IS AVAILABLE FOR VIEWING - ALL GRATIS!

CLICK ON THIS THUMBNAIL FOR A SAMPLE PIX:

http://img239.imagevenue.com/loc361/th_94239_IMG_5727a1_122_361lo.jpg (http://img239.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=94239_IMG_5727a1_122_361lo.jpg)

THERE ARE MANY OTHER ALBUMS FROM THIS YEAR'S OPENING DAY EVENT, AS WELL AS 50 MORE FROM PAST US OPENS FEATURING WELL KNOW PLAYERS.

HOPE YOU CAN ENJOY

ORCHIDMAN

phelbyn
Sep 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Keep it up Valerie! Top 100 in your near future! :)

:hearts::hearts::hearts:

RobM88
Feb 16th, 2010, 02:49 AM
I saw her today for the first time, in Memphis where she beat Niculescu 6-3 6-4 in almost 2 hours. She had TWENTY FOUR break points in 2 sets but won six of them -- it was enough! I was very impressed with her pace and groundstrokes. Nice to see players getting steadily better. Good luck in the next round and also in reaching the Top 100 soon!

BOEING 717
Feb 17th, 2010, 11:57 PM
It really looks like Val is going to take over #2 spot for Canadian women. If she wins her 2nd round match in Memphis, Stephi drops to 3rd. Quite the move for a year ago for VAL....WAY TO GO YOUNG LADY.

phelbyn
Feb 21st, 2010, 04:28 PM
Val's off to a great start this year. She certainly seems to be gaining momentum. Hope to see her in the top 100 soon!

RobM88
Jun 11th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I saw she withdrew from Wimbledon qualies... is Valerie injured?

MaxQue
Jun 11th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I saw she withdrew from Wimbledon qualies... is Valerie injured?

No, she changed coaches and took a break to refind the love of tennis.

phelbyn
Jun 15th, 2010, 08:55 PM
No, she changed coaches and took a break to refind the love of tennis.

How long is a break? Can't wait to see her back... she was gaining some pretty good momentum this season. She was really close to cracking the top 100. Canada needs a few people up there.

MaxQue
Jun 15th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I heard Boston Challenger in the end of June.

letshavefun3
Jun 25th, 2010, 05:37 AM
She keeps withdrawing from her tournaments...strange...if she trying to find her love for tennis AGAIN lol

phelbyn
Jul 23rd, 2010, 02:55 AM
She`s slated to play teh 75K Vancouver challenger August 2nd. Hope she works her way back into the game... she`s a talent!

BOEING 717
Jul 23rd, 2010, 03:42 AM
She seems to have a history of loosing interest in tennis. You think she would be up, with playing her hero (after qualifying for her second slam in a row) in the Australian Open. I love watching her play and really hope she is recovering from an injury instead of depressed about her game.

VAL we love you, get back where you belong and kick some butt on court.

Some1
Jul 23rd, 2010, 09:20 PM
She will play in Stanford tomorrow :P

carretta
Jul 28th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Anyone know anything else about her situation.
She looked like she really going to move up the rankings with making it out of qualifying in 2 consecutive grand slams and then a QF at an International event. But them POOF - she has "lost her love of tennis" and changes coaches. Seems very strange. Hope she will be competitive again.

Sexysova
Aug 19th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Montreal R1: Marion Bartoli vs. Valerie Tetreault

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/namedImage/12781/player_20631.jpg vs. http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/namedImage/12781/player_311513.jpg

MATCH: http://forum.vaidisova-nicole.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=7195&p=13724#p13724

phelbyn
Aug 26th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Anyone know anything else about her situation.
She looked like she really going to move up the rankings with making it out of qualifying in 2 consecutive grand slams and then a QF at an International event. But them POOF - she has "lost her love of tennis" and changes coaches. Seems very strange. Hope she will be competitive again.

She plays Laura Pous Tio in her first round. Should be a toughy!
Good luck! Keep the Canadian winning streak alive!

:worship::worship::worship:

carretta
Aug 30th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Good performance in qualies for her!
Perhaps a return to her good form?
She didn't defend her qualifying points from last year, but third round of qualies is great considering her recent form!

Sportgal1
Dec 11th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Tetreault retired http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Quebec+court+Tetreault+retires/3956761/story.html

BOEING 717
Dec 11th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Cant say surprising news but still sad. One of my favorite players. She was a class act and at times played great tennis. Still over the last few years she has taken time away from the game and just what she would say at times gave you the impression she was not going to be a lifer at the 100-200 level of the game.

She is still so young, I wish her all the best. She took a shot at her dream and perhaps is smarter then most not hanging around when she knew she was not going to be a top 50 player.

I wonder how much higher she could have got if she had more confidence, something that seemed (at least in my eyes) to be lacking at times.

Thank you for the memories Val....you are a class act

barabanschikova_fan
Dec 14th, 2010, 06:21 PM
she did what other should have done at the same age than her instead of wasting our time, WC etc etc etc. This is what happen when public service support athlete who otherwise would not even try to stay pro without free money given by TC.

Kevin.
Oct 10th, 2011, 11:48 PM
She is on the list for 50k Saguenay :eek:

she is currently the 63rd alt

Kevin.
Oct 21st, 2011, 05:11 AM
Val is last in Q :)