PDA

View Full Version : Shani Davis: 1st black person to win individual gold medal in winter olympic history!

Pages : 1 [2]

drake3781
Feb 21st, 2006, 12:27 AM
Let it be known that RVD values and respects the views of drake3781.
Now shut the hell up! :lol:

I'm kidding drake. ;)
But I do value your views and do respect them.
(*whispers* I even value cheesestix's, but don't say anything ;) )

Thank you; I appreciate it and feel the same way. I'm really upset, I know it's because I've been sick for four days and I've finally reached the end of my rope, but I find it's just shockingly easy for people to be so damn rude.

Ryan
Feb 21st, 2006, 02:04 AM
Tell ya what...
Let's take your question and turn it back on you. Why would you NOT want to 'humanize' the reports? What are you afraid of?
Also, BET is White owned, white driven, and modeled in a why as to not offend whites.
Do. you. un-der-stand n o w.
If you don't then there's no explaining it to you because you simply refuse to see it any other way. :shrug:

I wasn't trying to be rude. I do agree with what you're saying, and reports on anything should be "humanized". I was just wondering HOW BET could possibly be geared towards white people. It was on a different note, I guess I just didn't switch topics more openly. ;)

RVD
Feb 21st, 2006, 02:23 AM
I wasn't trying to be rude. I do agree with what you're saying, and reports on anything should be "humanized". I was just wondering HOW BET could possibly be geared towards white people. It was on a different note, I guess I just didn't switch topics more openly. ;)My bad. I thought you were attempting to be mean. :wavey:

But in answer to your question concerning BET...

I wasn't trying to say that it was geared towards white people persay. But that the views [the position] of that station are, and have been, censured and/or slanted so that we don't get the actual stories. It's also a matter of the 'control' or flow of information.

I guess you'd have to have been a viewer before the changeover to see the difference. But let me put it this way---
The journalists, writers, editors, etc..., all get their checks signed by who? So they will slant the stories accordingly. :shrug:
No biggie though. I just turn to Spanish and Asian stations for the news. :lol: Sometimes even BBC will provide me with a less biased slant than BET or my local news channel. :)

Ryan
Feb 21st, 2006, 01:00 PM
Ok cool. ;) I never watch BET really, but I'll flick and see black people delivering news, and preaching gospel, and VJ-ing, so I assumed. ;) That actually might make for a good journalism project in my Uni class, we're talking about slant and bias. Thanks.

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 21st, 2006, 01:14 PM
Let me just say that BBC world news, rocks! If you want to know what is going on in the WORLD and you can't be bothered to read the Times or the Post, then you need to watch BBC world news.

Our news is like Entertainment Tonight compared to the BBC.

more on shani in a second.

hablo
Feb 21st, 2006, 05:50 PM
I don't think so, but from what I understand, she is from Windsor, which is directly across the river from Detroit. I grew up in Michigan (the figure skating capital of the world :rolleyes: ) so Canadians may have just shrugged off this one.
If you are talking about the canadian, now american figure skater, she's from kingston ontario and also grew up in Québec (kirkland, island of Montréal) ...at least that's what they said on CBC ;) (Maybe other CBC watchers can confirm or infirm what I just said... I'm not a hundred percent certain...I didn't pay too much attention... :tape: )

thanks for posting that article on Davis :yeah:

SelesFan70
Feb 21st, 2006, 05:55 PM
(*whispers* I even value cheesestix's, but don't say anything ;) )

:secret: What about mine? :tape:

:kiss:

Black Mamba.
Feb 21st, 2006, 05:58 PM
I look at this situation the same way I look at Track and Field. You the individual train alone, run alone, etc. Regardless of the Team Umbrella you particpate under the individualistc nature of the sport forces you to put yourself above the "team" because in reality there is no "team". In track people are remembered by what they do individually not what they do by being part of a relay team. I can't count how many times in the Summer Olympics the relay team in the prelim rounds is different from the team that is in the finals because most of the top runners want to perform well in their own individual events before worrying about a relay. WHo cares that Shani didn't want to do the team thing because afterall does anyone really think those same "teammates" would give a care if he didn't do well in his event because he concentrated on the "team".

RVD
Feb 21st, 2006, 06:18 PM
:secret: What about mine? :tape:

:kiss: :lol: Yes, even yours SelesFan70. Even though you sometimes go out of your way to chaff my ass, I just apply salve and keep on truck'n. :p :angel:

topspin
Feb 22nd, 2006, 04:42 AM
how many of you in here don't know shit about speedskating
but are just in here cause the guy's black?

I don’t know if it may be perceived by others that the real source of the exuberance of the joy and praise exhibited by some members of this thread may have to due with a feeling of “superiority” or “showing up the man” or "sticking it to the man" by Shani’s performance.

The truth is a lot of people are just happy to see a positive image of black person making a positive headline in the local, national, and world news when it is the opposite nine out of ten times. The only major headlines in reference to black people have to do with murder, rape, theft, and bad attitude(there lies some fault with us presenting that image too and incorrectly solely blaming all of it on the media).

That’s why you won’t see too many people having a problem with the media saying “the 1st Black to ….” because it is going to imply goodness all the way.

RVD
Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:22 AM
I don’t know if it may be perceived by others that the real source of the exuberance of the joy and praise exhibited by some members of this thread may have to due with a feeling of “superiority” or “showing up the man” or "sticking it to the man" by Shani’s performance.

The truth is a lot of people are just happy to see a positive image of black person making a positive headline in the local, national, and world news when it is the opposite nine out of ten times. The only major headlines in reference to black people have to do with murder, rape, theft, and bad attitude(there lies some fault with us presenting that image too and incorrectly solely blaming all of it on the media).

That’s why you won’t see too many people having a problem with the media saying “the 1st Black to ….” because it is going to imply goodness all the way.Hmm...? Good point. :yeah: :yeah:
There was a time when that would have been my first answer to SvetaBellyButton's post. Now I just want to get rid of the 'color' distinction altogether. I know it's an impossible dream, but hope is all some of us have. :shrug:

@m@nd@
Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:24 AM
congrats to shani on the silver medal yesterday :D

Wendy Williams
Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:32 AM
Shani-Chad ice storm rages

Trade barbs after medaling

By T.J. QUINN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

TURIN - It took about 40 minutes yesterday, but Chad Hedrick finally figured out that Shani Davis doesn't think any of this is funny.

After Davis and Hedrick took second and third, respectively, in their much-hyped 1,500-meter competition, a reporter asked the American speed skaters whether their rivalry, like Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan's, could be good for the sport. Hedrick, smiling, picked up a plastic water bottle and joked as though he were going to throw it at Davis. Davis, sitting at the far end of a table from Davis, didn't look over, didn't smile.

"This isn't a heavyweight boxing match," Davis said, disgusted at Hedrick's efforts to entice the American press with a made-for-Hollywood rivalry. "(Speed skating) is exciting enough in Europe. They don't have to highlight everybody's belch and fart."

That brought a brief chuckle, but then things got nasty. They barely looked at each other, almost never addressed each other directly. But their post-race press conference, held after gold medal winner Enrico Fabris of Italy addressed reporters and left, ended with Hedrick calling Davis selfish, Davis calling Hedrick unprofessional, and with Davis walking out of the press conference.

"I'm really glad we weren't in the same heat today," Hedrick had said earlier. "Because we really would have been killing each other."

Whatever the tension between them, whether it was a media creation or the natural result of competition, it is no myth. It's real, and it's spectacular.

Hedrick, who was angered when Davis declined to skate in the team pursuit last week and then failed to congratulate Davis when he won the men's 1,000-meter race on Saturday, said the two were never particularly close, and said he and Davis both fell short because they were distracted by their rivalry.

"We were focused on each other; we weren't focused on our game plan," Hedrick said.

Davis rejected that idea - "I totally disagree," he said - saying he skated the same race he always does, that he races against the field, not one man.

Hedrick tried to use that comment for a bit of levity, hoping to bolster his point that tension between top athletes is good for the sport. He gave a big smile and a "thumbs-up." But the more he mugged, the more Davis simmered.

The heat wasn't a result of the day's race, but clearly a carryover from earlier battles. Hedrick referred time and again to Davis' refusal to skate in the team pursuit. "He has a different approach to skating. If he feels like not doing the team pursuit to prepare for the 1,000... that's his agenda," Hedrick said.

What finally set Davis off was when Hedrick invoked the name of Michael Jordan, saying he, like Jordan, never competed with anything but winning in mind.

"You mention Michael Jordan," said Davis, who is from Chicago. "I've never seen him act in an unprofessional manner when it came to losing.

"I'm just putting it out there....I'm just putting it out there....I would have thought that another American would have shook my hand after I'd won the 1,000 meters the way I shook his hand - the way I hugged him - after he won the 5,000."

And with that Davis stood and left the room.

"I'm done," he said, heading to where his mother was waiting just outside the room. "He only shakes my hand when I lose. Typical Chad."

Hedrick, dumbstruck, rose for a second, then sat back down in front of his microphone as reporters shouted at him to respond. After an uncomfortable moment to collect his thoughts, Hedrick gave his final words on the subject: "I just felt betrayed, in a way," he said. "We had a good chance to win. I just felt betrayed in a way."

They will leave Italy, they will return to competing on their sparsely covered circuit, and they will have each other to deal with for the next four years.

Rocketta
Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
Damn, Shani laid a serious smackdown! :eek:

Diesel
Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:41 PM
Fans in the Know Give Their Cheers to Shani Davis - NY Times
By HARVEY ARATON
Published: February 22, 2006

TURIN, Italy

IN the continuing and increasingly acidic case of Chad Hedrick versus Shani Davis, the unofficial Dutch court of speedskating arbitration reached a verdict last night.

Davis: innocent of the charges levied by Hedrick, that he was a disloyal and even unpatriotic teammate.

Hedrick: guilty of being the self-promoting, ugly American of the 2006 Winter Olympics.

"When Hedrick comes around, we say nothing, but when Shani comes, we stand up and yell," said Krista Wander, a fan from the formidable Dutch contingent, before Davis bumped Hedrick to third from second in the 1,500 meters and precipitated a series of stunning contrasts between the two American skaters.

Davis said the silver was special and warmly congratulated the surprise Italian gold medalist, Enrico Fabris. Hedrick, the five-gold hope who has won just one with one race to go, said he considered the bronze a bust and stoically went through the medal-ceremony motions.

In a riveting news conference without Fabris, who was attending to drug-testing matters, Davis chided American journalists for creating a Shaq-and-Kobe scenario and said it was doing the sport no good. Hedrick bought into the belief that Tonya-and-Nancy elevated figure skating to unprecedented levels of popularity in the mid-1990's, and so might Chad-and-Shani.

Hedrick revealed his intentions to eventually become a movie star. Davis said, "I'm not a phony person; no way I'll ever be a Hollywood actor."

At which point a pretense of civility evaporated, with Davis responding to a reporter's request to shake hands with Hedrick by castigating Hedrick for not congratulating him Saturday after he became the first black athlete to win a Winter Olympics gold medal in an individual event (he won the 1,000 meters). Then Davis bolted for the door, muttering, "I don't want to hear what he has to say; he wants to shake my hand when I lose."

Alone, Hedrick repeated his assertion that Davis "betrayed" him and the United States team by not competing in the team pursuit — a relay race — to focus on the 1,000.

On the scale of American bad vibes here, Bode Miller has been a mountain rumor compared to Davis and Hedrick, Lindsey Jacobellis a flawed snowflake on a snowboard. To date, the Italian police haven't staged any late-night raids on American athletes that would risk the renaming of every pasta dish in the Congressional cafeteria. But the Davis-Hedrick feud — one with at least the sniff of a racial subtext — has put a cloud over one of the rare American success stories in Turin.

My e-mail messages from the United States have been running a polarized 50-50 since I wrote Sunday that Davis was justified in his decision to tolerate no distractions while preparing for what may have been his one chance to win the race he has been dreaming of since he began skating at the age of 6. But in the most boisterous Little Amsterdam section of an oval that has been swarmed by orange-clad Dutch fans since the start of the Games, a sampling of opinion was unanimous for Davis.

"If you are winning the gold, then you are doing the right thing, because how many Olympics can you count on being the favorite?" Gert Jan Verrips said. His friend Eric de Beer added: "You see here, Davis and Hedrick are two new guys at the Olympics. You look back to four years ago, with Derek Parra, and where is he now?"

Parra, the American who won the 1,500 meters in 2002, was 19th last night, on his way to a farewell race next month in the Netherlands, the country where, as he said, "you have the most knowledgeable fans."

If my informal Dutch poll wasn't enough to warrant a consensus, consider that Davis's mother, Cherie, was spotted in an orange jacket and a cap with "Holland" stitched across the front outside the news conference, while inside several Dutch fans heckled Hedrick until they were ordered to leave.

Why the antipathy for Hedrick from people known for their unfailing cheeriness, their support for all skaters, when attending a sport that is deeply ingrained in their culture? It's all in the perceived agenda. Marian Van den Berg, another Dutch fan, said, "He wants to be famous, you can see that."

And at the root of the conflict is Davis's belief that Hedrick has been attempting to swift boat him here at the Olympics, use him as a prop as he wraps himself, Texas-style, in the flag, for the purpose of increasing his commercial appeal, while claiming that the feud has elevated their skating and is good for the sport.

Davis, for his part, countered by reminding us that the short-track controversy between the Americans and the South Koreans in Salt Lake City was a made-for-Olympics mess that ultimately accomplished nothing on the commercial front.

"It's not a heavyweight boxing fight," he said, unwilling to play Joe Frazier to Hedrick's Muhammad Ali.

That matches the purist Dutch mentality. "Shani to us seems like he is racing for the love of skating," Sietze de Vries said in Little Amsterdam.

So they all cheered when Hedrick's time, short of Fabris's, was posted, and again when Davis, skating in the final heat, bested Hedrick by nine-hundredths of a second, nudging their own skater, Simon Kuipers, off the podium.

No matter. They could forgive. They could forget. "We love you, you beat Hedrick," a Dutch fan called out to Davis, on his way to the news conference where Hedrick was waiting to begin the next round.

E-mail: hjaraton@nytimes.com

Rocketta
Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:46 PM
Yup, Hendrick is a prick. :(

RVD
Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:11 PM
Yup, Hendrick is a prick. :(:lol: Hendrick has turned into public enemy #1. :tape: And as usual, there's that 50% in the U.S. who are the last to understand that not many tolerate or agree with his form of 'competition'. :devil: If my informal Dutch poll wasn't enough to warrant a consensus, consider that Davis's mother, Cherie, was spotted in an orange jacket and a cap with "Holland" stitched across the front outside the news conference, while inside several Dutch fans heckled Hedrick until they were ordered to leave.:haha: :haha: Ya gotta love her style. :worship:

Denise4925
Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:03 PM
Hedrick is a dick and I feel like a fool for liking him before all of this mess. However, I was disappointed in Shawny's attitude during the interview after his 1000 meter win. It didn't make sense. He seemed angry which didn't make much sense after winning the gold. I was concerned about his abilities to get endorsements after that interview, but clearly he's shown that he was hurt and angry by the statements made by Chad and the media.

kabuki
Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:36 AM
I am soooo happy that Shani beat Hedrick in the 1500. Hedrick's punk ass was on Today this morning still bitching about Shani. Whatever.

Rocketta
Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:15 AM
I am soooo happy that Shani beat Hedrick in the 1500. Hedrick's punk ass was on Today this morning still bitching about Shani. Whatever.

He is a punk ass with bad skin...:tape:

He was nothing but excuses......oh most of these racers didn't have to skate the long ones like I have...Oh bronze is good for having a bad day :rolleyes:

Rocketta
Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:18 AM
and dag Shani punked him in the press conference... :lol:

Denise4925
Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:49 PM
For real?? What a dick :lol: He's just making himself look worse and worse. Was he saying the same old tired ass shit?