PDA

View Full Version : U.S. snowboardcross athlete shows off before finish line and falls

IndieBoi
Feb 17th, 2006, 06:31 PM
BARDONECCHIA, Italy (AP) -- Lindsey Jacobellis had the Olympic women's snowboardcross won, and then -- incredibly, inexcusably -- she made one last move on the next-to-last jump and fell.

She lost.

Snowboarding is about style, though, so Jacobellis decided to show off for the fans in front of the grandstand near the end of her ride. But after she landed from her grab, she caught an edge, then went tumbling outside the blue line. When she recovered, she trailed Frieden over the finish line, then put her hands on her knees and held her palms up.

Jacobellis insisted she wasn't showing off.

"When you grab in boardercross you're trying to get back on the ground as fast as possible," she said. "You try to be stable in the air."

U.S. coach Peter Foley fell onto the ground in disbelief.

He said Jacobellis has always had a tendency to grab her board for stability, but after looking at a frame-by-frame breakdown of the jump shot by Associated Press photos, he conceded Jacobellis probably had gone over the top.

"She definitely styled that a little too hard," he said.

Foley wasn't alone.

"Sometimes it's subconscious, but that was putting on a show," said American Seth Wescott, the men's champion from the day before. "It's one of those things. I did it in my early rides yesterday but you've got to choose your time and make sure you don't miss."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/olympics/2006/02/17/bc.oly.sno.women.ssnowb.ap/index.html

SloKid
Feb 17th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Seen it...Serves her right IMO :rolleyes:

PaulieM
Feb 17th, 2006, 06:35 PM
:tape:

tennisluver99
Feb 17th, 2006, 06:36 PM
:haha: stupid

VeeDaQueen
Feb 17th, 2006, 06:37 PM
dumbass

shadowsecret
Feb 17th, 2006, 06:38 PM
haha i seen it too but well, she MIGHT be showing off but it's still sad.. she really should have had that gold.

Varvagina
Feb 17th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I saw it on tv ad it's her own fault !! Trying to impress the crown and then fall :haha:

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 17th, 2006, 06:41 PM
:rolls: :tape:
now that was funny.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I must admit that was pretty funny!

I can see it on many bloopers shows in the future.

Or even a "what happened next" on question of sport.

IndieBoi
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Could be added to Sports Illustrated All-Time Olympic Disappointments list...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2006/02/16/gallery.disappoint/index.1.exclude.html

CooCooCachoo
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:38 PM
OMG.

:haha:

Cilla
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I saw it, what a classic. Serves her right :tape: :lol:

Principessa
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:48 PM
that was oh so hilarious. :tape:

hablo
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I saw that :spit:

what the hell was she thinking? :scratch:

There is no way she should have lost that gold medal... both canadians had fallen and she was way ahead of the swiss athlete :crazy:

richie boy
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:13 PM
She needs a good PR agent, get her on Leno and Letterman and let them take
the mickey out of her, laugh it off and talk about how stylin' is a fundemental
part of the snowboarding ethos!

She could end up the most famous athlete at the Games :haha:

AjdeNate!
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I actually feel kinda badly for her.

RVD
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:28 PM
:lol:
We've been losing some odd ones lately...
Loss by hotdogging... :sad:
Loss by splitting poles (twice)... :sad:
Disqualified for touching barrier cone (speed skating?) :sad:

I'm not a winter Olympics sort of guy, but I must say, this year has been very entertaining. :)

tfannis
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:39 PM
saw it too :lol: Classic ;)

marmite1
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I actually feel kinda badly for her.

Me too.

Scotso
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I don't feel bad for her. She tried to show off and it bit her on the ass.

Sun*Kissed
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:16 PM
lmao

selking
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:26 PM
QUite sad but she is still the best in the world in that event. No one can touch her unless she falls like today.

IndieBoi
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I don't feel bad for her. She tried to show off and it bit her on the ass.

I don't either... an olympic level competitor should know MUCH better than that in any round - Let alone the final/ medal round.

She could've shown off all she wanted from the top of the podium, but nope, that wasn't soon enough.

Denise4925
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:40 PM
We've been losing some odd ones lately...
Loss by hotdogging... :sad:
Loss by splitting poles (twice)... :sad:
Disqualified for touching barrier cone (speed skating?) :sad:

I'm not a winter Olympics sort of guy, but I must say, this year has been very entertaining. :)
Yeah it's been very entertaining. I'm enjoying the speed skating and snowboarding most of all.

Allez-H
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Saw it, that was painfull. It's her own fault but I also felt sad for her. I mean this is the Olympics, she won't make the same mistake anymore that's fo sure

*JR*
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:42 PM
OMG, this is Zurich '02 all ova again! :mad: American Linds*y blows title against a Suissie! :o

controlfreak
Feb 17th, 2006, 11:24 PM
I'd love to sneak onto the slalom piste and replace one of those bendy sticks with an iron pole. The next skier would be like... [WHUMP!] and I'd be like :haha: :bolt:

Oh, speaking of [whump]s, did anyone see that Chinese skater who threw his partner about 6 metres through the air, only for her to crash on the landing? Priceless! :yeah:

flyingmachine
Feb 17th, 2006, 11:32 PM
:rolls::tape::o

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 18th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Grar. You spoiled it for me threadstarter. This thread was screaming for me to come in even though I knew I shouldn't. Grar. Lindsey, :sad:

skanky~skanketta
Feb 18th, 2006, 02:43 AM
ouch

PaulieM
Feb 18th, 2006, 02:48 AM
they just showed it here and damn that shit was funny. :tape: i guess that's what happens when you try to show off. :o :o

Tennis Fool
Feb 18th, 2006, 02:58 AM
I just saw it "live" on NBC ;)

:o :o :o

I feel bad for her, because 1) she didn't come across as someone arrogant in her profile, but very mature for her age who wanted to be a role model. 2) She showed perserverance getting to the final after some tight prelims. 3) She was so far ahead of everyone and two of her opponents had crashed (one had to be airlifted to the hospital). She did a stupid method air (that Ross Powers did to win the Gold in SLC in half-pipe and messed up. 5) That Swiss girl was a disgrace jumping up and down in front of her purposely! What bad sportsmanship!

Funny that Seth's g-friend has the gold. Good for him, I guess. The commentators basically said it was a fluke win :lol:

PaulieM
Feb 18th, 2006, 03:06 AM
I just saw it "live" on NBC ;)

:o :o :o

I feel bad for her, because 1) she didn't come across as someone arrogant in her profile, but very mature for her age who wanted to be a role model. 2) She showed perserverance getting to the final after some tight prelims. 3) She was so far ahead of everyone and two of her opponents had crashed (one had to be airlifted to the hospital). She did a stupid method air (that Ross Powers did to win the Gold in SLC in half-pipe and messed up. 5) That Swiss girl was a disgrace jumping up and down in front of her purposely! What bad sportsmanship!

Funny that Seth's g-friend has the gold. Good for him, I guess. The commentators basically said it was a fluke win :lol:

i agree with everything except #5. i mean come on, the woman had just won a gold medal, what every athlete dreams of, absolutely no shame in celebrating as much as you want. it's not her fault that lindsay decided to show off at the end and fucked up. shit happens and she took advantage.:shrug: i feel bad for her, but it was still kind of funny, and hopefully next time she'll know better.:)

Tennis Fool
Feb 18th, 2006, 03:12 AM
i agree with everything except #5. i mean come on, the woman had just won a gold medal, what every athlete dreams of, absolutely no shame in celebrating as much as you want.
Yes, but getting into her FACE and jumping up and down as if there wasn't any where else to go? It was like she was still bumping her on the board, maybe she was trying to get back at her.

Tennis Fool
Feb 18th, 2006, 03:18 AM
She just made Jimmy Roberts "Olympic Moments" and ha! they just mentioned Jana Novotna's self-implosion at Wimbledon (and how Lindsay's gaff was in a league of its own and may go down as one of the historic mistakes in sports).

Watch this girl become a media sensation because of this :p This Olympics needed a shot of something memorable.

Now, when you count your chickens, etc., don't pull a Jacobellis :lol:

PaulieM
Feb 18th, 2006, 03:19 AM
Yes, but getting into her FACE and jumping up and down as if there wasn't any where else to go? It was like she was still bumping her on the board, maybe she was trying to get back at her.
well i wouldn't say she was all up in her face but that's a matter of opinion. i guess i just assume that in that kind of moment you're hardly in control of your emotions, and she just looked to be jumping around crazy happy, not trying to be nasty to the other girl. :shrug:

Tennis Fool
Feb 18th, 2006, 03:27 AM
Bob "Botox" Costas just interviewed her. She seems really naive about the media because she just sat there wide-eyed and didn't dodge any questions. Her expressions were so mixed, happy that she still medaled, sad that she didn't get gold, embarrassed by the attention, excited to be interviewed on national tv, wanting to laugh with everyone else, about to cry.

Weird.

And Costas just thinking what she looked like naked.

PaulieM
Feb 18th, 2006, 03:29 AM
And Costas just thinking what she looked like naked.
:haha:

bw2082
Feb 18th, 2006, 03:30 AM
It's ok. She'll be more famous for this than if she won the gold. No one would remember in a few years time who won but they'll remember he screw up forever :lol: Like someone said earlier, she needs to get on some talk shows, and roll with the punches for a while

Tennis Fool
Feb 18th, 2006, 03:32 AM
It's ok. She'll be more famous for this than if she won the gold. No one would remember in a few years time who won but they'll remember he screw up forever :lol: Like someone said earlier, she needs to get on some talk shows, and roll with the punches for a while
Too bad this isn't on ABC. They could change their "Wide World of Sports" shot on "the agony of defeat".

Kworb
Feb 18th, 2006, 05:28 AM
She probably just didn't want any of those ugly donut medals at all.

PamShriverRockz
Feb 18th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Pride comes before a fall....

Homer & Co
Feb 18th, 2006, 08:30 AM
I guess this snowboarding discipline is very popular, but I for one lack to see the tension in the game. They should do the same as with alpine skiing and have them start one at the time and see who has the best time (after 2 or so runs), and they do that, but only in the qualifying round. In the final rounds, there's no way four snowboarders can stay together very long, and the tension is mostly gone early in the run (it mostly ends up with a deja vu). Besides, winning because everybody else fell doesn't call for much celebration, does it?
Also, I have the feeling the Northern Americans have more chances of winning medals, because it's such an "extreme" sport.

rebel_ffighter
Feb 18th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Too much self confidence always brings failure!

gsm
Feb 18th, 2006, 12:59 PM
poor girl

anyone see the canadian fellow who forgot to buckel his ski's up while doing an ariel? hahaha!!!

gsm
Feb 18th, 2006, 01:03 PM
there's no way four snowboarders can stay together very long, and the tension is mostly gone early in the run (it mostly ends up with a deja vu).
i guess you didnt see the mens.

gold and silver were seperated by half a board length...

the cat
Feb 18th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I fell very badly for Lindsey. :sad: She's adorable and likable. :) And her hotdogging it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be once I saw it on television. But whatever she was trying to do backfired and cost her the gold medal. Lindsey has handled herself with class :D over blundering her way from gold to silver while the weak gold medalist acted a little unsportmanlike on her gift gold medal showing up Lindsey like that. :( I know she was excited to be gifted a gold medal from Lindsey but she should have been a little more restrained considering the circumstances of how she won gold.

Interesting point by bw about how Lindsey might be more famous for her faux pas than if she would have won the gold medal. That might be true. But I'm sure she would rather be known for having won the gold medal than the silver medal and the costly mistake she made costing her the gold medal. Lindsey seems to be handling herself well in the aftermath of losing the gold medal and I appreciate that.

Good point Homer. Alot of the new Olympic sports are subtly designed to help North American athletes win more medals. And it's working.

TF, how can you rip Bob Costas like that? Don't you know he's the New York Yankees of sports broadcasting? ;) And that was a good one TF about seeing Lindsey's performance live on NBC. :haha: Yeah live on tape delay. ;)

PaulieM
Feb 18th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I fell very badly for Lindsey. :sad: She's adorable and likable. :) And her hotdogging it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be once I saw it on television. But whatever she was trying to do backfired and cost her the gold medal. Lindsey has handled herself with class :D over blundering her way from gold to silver while the weak gold medalist acted a little unsportmanlike on her gift gold medal showing up Lindsey like that. :( I know she was excited to be gifted a gold medal from Lindsey but she should have been a little more restrained considering the circumstances of how she won gold.

hey cat. :) i feel sorry for lindsey but i'm always surprised at how people say so easily that someone else should restrain their celebration, put yourself in her place for that moment, heck you never know if you're going to win a gold ever again, and what someone else did isn't your fault. a win's a win and she has every right to celebrate the fuck out of it. if she never wins another gold again, she doesn't want to look back and remember not having that all out celebratory moment. it's exactly what every human being would do in that emotional moment, whether they want to admit it or not. that said they interviewed tanya(is that her name i don't remember) on espn later and she did seem a bit mean about it, she kind of laughed it off saying that she's seen that kind of thing happen before, and she herself had done the same thing in an earlier round run though she probably wouldn't do it so close to the gold, and that it sucks but she doesn't feel bad because for her it's great or something. yes it's an honest answer but the way she laughed about it wasn't very nice, in an interview when presumably you've detatched yourself from the craziness of the moment you should be able to handle yourself better. i thought in this case it was how she acted later that showed a lot about her, not that she celebrated like any person who has achieved their dream would.

the cat
Feb 18th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Hey Paulie. :) I said it was a little unsportmanlike. I didn't go overboard. ;) Tanja Frieden should celebrate her lucky win any way she wants to. Maybe it was those around her including her boyfriend who had no business out there celebrating with her in the area where the skiers finish up their race. She should have gone over to them and celebrated off to the side away from the crestfallen Jacobellis. They were too close to Lindsey.

Paulie pertinent! :yeah: And Paulie you make a pertinent point about how Tanja the fortunate gold medalist should be able to celebrate how she wanted to. But that it was how she acted later in an interview that bothered you. Not how she celebrated. Well said. I'm just upset for Lindsey because she seems like such a nice soft spoken kid. I hope she can overcome the monumental tactical mistake she made that cost her the gold medal. After hearing reports yesterday about how Jacobellis hotdogged her way out of a gold medal I expected to see a cocky kid on television. But I must admit I was heartened to see a nice girl in a television profile before the final and in her interviews after the final that's she seems alike a really nice and very likable girl and not some cocky hotshot chick.

JuchuKai
Feb 18th, 2006, 05:51 PM
IThey should do the same as with alpine skiing and have them start one at the time and see who has the best time (after 2 or so runs),

They have other disciplines where they start seperately like snowbaord slalom. I guess the 4 people race is what makes the snowboardcross the snowboardcross ;)

Stamp Paid
Feb 18th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Lol

Homer & Co
Feb 18th, 2006, 06:20 PM
They have other disciplines where they start seperately like snowbaord slalom. I guess the 4 people race is what makes the snowboardcross the snowboardcross ;)
With the Olympic parallel giant slalom, they don't start seperately, but at least they don't get to touch each other. But the parcours of the cross is so much more spectacular than the slalom parcours, so personally, I think a speed contest would be more interesting than a cross.

LefandePatty
Feb 18th, 2006, 06:26 PM
OMG, this is Zurich '02 all ova again! :mad: American Linds*y blows title against a Suissie! :o

:worship: :hearts: :D :bowdown: :devil:

LefandePatty
Feb 18th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I watched that so many times, that's soooo funy :rolls:
Thanks Lindsay ! :p
With your help, Tanja(my avatar) has been able to win the gold medal, awesome :woohoo: :hearts: :)

new-york
Feb 18th, 2006, 06:41 PM
fool.

*JR*
Feb 19th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Now Lindsey might really lose her Visa debit card (deal). :lol:

DelMonte
Feb 19th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Anyone have a link where I can watch a video of this? Cheers!

Tennis Fool
Feb 19th, 2006, 02:19 AM
TF, how can you rip Bob Costas like that? Don't you know he's the New York Yankees of sports broadcasting?
Not talking about his resume. He's trying to fight against age and it ain't pretty. Not only does he always look startled but that bad dye job and hair cut should have been tipped NBC to have him do radio. :p

Black Mamba.
Feb 19th, 2006, 03:30 AM
I guess she was too relaxed that she had a visa check card and lost her focus at the end!

Diesel
Feb 19th, 2006, 04:07 AM
I guess she was too relaxed that she had a visa check card and lost her focus at the end!

DutchieGirl
Feb 19th, 2006, 06:51 AM
I saw it... and it was funny - but sad for her.

*JR*
Feb 19th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I saw it... and it was funny - but sad for her.
What Lindsey did was like a female tennis player up lets say 6-2, 5-3, recieving for a Slam title up 30-40. So she passes on hitting a routine winner and goes for it with a trick shot (maybe using her opposite hand). After all, she'll still have chances to break for the title in a match she's been dominating, and she's executed that (high risk) shot B4 anyhow. And can always serve it out even if the shot fails.

So she blows it for deuce, loses the game, then finally gets broken for 5-5, loses the set, and the 3rd. If a WTA player did that, both her supporters and "haters" would say (for different reasons) that she deserved it. While Lindsey's faux pas played out much faster, it was still the result of one impulsive, egocentric act by an athlete not content to accept the joy of winning a "mere" Olympic Gold Medal. :rolleyes: