PDA

View Full Version : Bryant Gumbel on the Winter Olympics

cheesestix
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Finally, tonight, the Winter Games. Count me among those who don’t care about them and won’t watch them. In fact, I figure that when Thomas Paine said that “these are the times that try men’s souls,” he must’ve been talking about the start of another Winter Olympics. Because they’re so trying, maybe over the next three weeks we should all try too. Like, try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the winter games look like a GOP convention. Try not to point out that something’s not really a sport if a pseudo-athlete waits in what’s called a kiss-and-cry area, while some panel of subjective judges decides who won. And try to blot out all logic when announcers and sportswriters pretend to care about the luge, the skeleton, the biathlon and all those other events they don’t understand and totally ignore for all but three weeks every four years. Face it — these Olympics are little more than a marketing plan to fill space and sell time during the dreary days of February. So if only to hasten the arrival of the day they’re done, when we can move on to March Madness — for God’s sake, let the games begin.

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/bryant-gumbel/bryant-gumbel-goes-kind-of-kanye-about-the-olympics-155322.php

Never really did like this guy, but his rant is ridiculous.

I don't really care for Rush Limbaugh either, but will Bryant catch as much heat as Rush did for his McNabb comments?

And, BTW Bryant, I don't believe the ancient Greeks played Basketball either. :rolleyes:

Pureracket
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Infiniti2001
Feb 17th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Quit looking for controvesy where there isn't any :rolleyes: Anyway, Bryant Gumbel just said what many Americans feel-- just look at the damn ratings. :eek: American Idol is kicking ass :lol:

Blonde_Ambition7
Feb 17th, 2006, 02:11 AM
ugh whatever. maybe from an american perspective or something.

SelesFan70
Feb 17th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Truly ironic... :o And the lack of a media brouhaha is simply telling. :rolleyes: They'd rather run scared of publishing some cartoons...

And I guess these black folks (www.theblackgop.com) don't count....?

lizchris
Feb 17th, 2006, 02:29 AM
http://www.deadspin.com/sports/bryant-gumbel/bryant-gumbel-goes-kind-of-kanye-about-the-olympics-155322.php

Never really did like this guy, but his rant is ridiculous.

I don't really care for Rush Limbaugh either, but will Bryant catch as much heat as Rush did for his McNabb comments?

And, BTW Bryant, I don't believe the ancient Greeks played Basketball either. :rolleyes:

When or when will people learn?

Rush Limbaugh was fired from ESPN not because of what he said about McNabb, but because he violated the morals cluase of his contract (use of illegal drugs; in his case OxyContin, which is legal to use, but he got it illegally, which means it was illegal for him to have it). It is of my opinion that most of the people who work at ESPN agree with what he said, which is why you didn't have a big uproar at the network; the uproar was by individual reporters and columnists accross the US.

I don't think there will be much of an uproar about what Bryant Gumbel said mainly because I think people are tiring of conservatives (mainly white ones) who pounce on a famous black people for anything they say, like they did at the Coretta Scott King funeral last week.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 17th, 2006, 02:43 AM
While I may be snide and occasionally call figure skating a pseudo-sport, I would never, ever be so ignorant to refer to the participants as pseudo-athletes.

Pureracket
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:16 AM

And I guess these black folks (http://www.theblackgop.com) don't count....?Seriously, did you all REALLY let them in the main halls of the Republican convention? I didn't see any of them there. Did you see them from the Log Cabin section of the convention, or did you claim them @ all?

darrinbaker00
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Quit looking for controvesy where there isn't any :rolleyes:
That's like asking the sun not to shine, Infiniti..... ;)

kiwifan
Feb 17th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Not sure this thread is worthy of it but lets see if I can do it...

...:yawn: