PDA

View Full Version : Evgeni PLUSHENKO WINS GOLD

venusfan
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Yes people, half-way through his program and he's won the GOLD. Americans 2nd and 3rd with 5 more to go including an American so odds are an American man may win a medal.

gmak
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:30 PM
masterclass from zhenya :yeah: :worship: :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Yes people, half-way through his program and he's won the GOLD. Americans 2nd and 3rd with 5 more to go including an American so odds are an American man may win a medal.

What event is this ?? :D

SloKid
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:53 PM
What event is this ?? :D
Figure skating ;)

And Weir isn't winning a medal...:p
Actualy Americans won't win a single medal here, they are currently in positions 4-6 with two skaters left.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Figure skating ;)

And Weir isn't winning a medal...:p
Actualy Americans won't win a single medal here, they are currently in positions 4-6 with two skaters left.

Oh well...we still have more GOLDS then any other country... :spit:

Congrats to EVGENI!! :worship: :wavey:

jogoss_78
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:56 PM
HE DESERVES IT :) :worship:

venusfan
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:03 PM
They screwed Weir..... but I guess he deserved it for skating like he didn't know what he was doing out there.

GrandSlam05
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Must be nice to nice to know you've got it in the bag before you even step onto the ice for the long program. :rolleyes: This is no better than the old days when school figures were worth 60%.

hablo
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:52 PM
well done, Evgeni Plushenko :woohoo:

the cat
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Congrats to Evgeni Plushenko on winning the Men's gold medal in the 2006 Winter Olympics. :) He now goes down in history as one of the all time great men's figure skaters. :D

daniela86
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:53 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: to Zhenya :D He is simply the best and he fully deserves it :yeah: :bigclap: :D :woohoo:
But :sad: :sad: to Brian Joubert for only finishing 7th :( I wanted him on the podium :(

drake3781
Feb 17th, 2006, 02:45 AM
I guess people who wanted to watch the event not knowing how it comes out have no choice now? You could not put the spoiler in your thread title. :fiery:

Infiniti2001
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:05 AM
The outfits some of the guys wear are sooooooooo tacky :o

hrbatyfan
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Hats off to Evgeni.

I'm also glad Evan Lysacek finished strong! :D

Tennis Fool
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Dick Button said Plushenko bamboozles you with his flailing arms :lol: Scott Hamilton said he didnt really have a program.

GrandSlam05
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:35 AM
He's overrated IMO, but still the best there is right now. Ever since Yagudin left he has yet to have a rival. No one to make him feel the heat. All the other guys act like kid sisters when it's crunch time. And the fact that the judges have annointed him doesn't hurt his cause.

Tennis Fool
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Figure skating is weird. How can Weir, standing in 2nd, lose to two guys who fell and still got credit for jumps not completed :confused:

Maybe Weir's mistake was not falling all over the place, which would have given him more points than a clean program.

ys
Feb 17th, 2006, 04:10 AM
The outfits some of the guys wear are sooooooooo tacky :o

I agree.. Awful..

FLL
Feb 17th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Figure skating is weird. How can Weir, standing in 2nd, lose to two guys who fell and still got credit for jumps not completed :confused:

Maybe Weir's mistake was not falling all over the place, which would have given him more points than a clean program.

One reason why he lost is because he only did 7 jumps while he can do 8.. He left a lot of points on the table. Plus, one of the jumps he did was a double axel.. And he didn't skate really well, with emotion like he usually does..

Sevenseas
Feb 17th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Congratulations, Evgeni!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

The Real Master on ice!!! :worship:

propi
Feb 17th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Congrats Evgeni... I just saw aboutthe last 6 skaters and all of them fell to the ground... :rolleyes: some years ago this didn't used to happen :o

Jeff
Feb 17th, 2006, 06:52 AM
While Plushenko deserved to win, this new points system is nothing different than the past. Composition scores are still inflated and bias towards "expected" winners, and do nothing for skaters who stand out artistically...as the composition is supposed to do. Plushenko got a whooping 85 points for his composition score, despite doing pretty much crap other than his jumps. Meanwhile, Johnny Weir, a superior artistic skater to Plushenko got like 75 composition opoints or something. Johnny didn't skate that well tonight jump wise, but the system old or new shows that if you are a quad-quad, quad-triple-double-single skater you are going to get all the points. As far as I'm concerned the composition score should just be deleted.

Sevenseas
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Congrats to Evgeni Plushenko on winning the Men's gold medal in the 2006 Winter Olympics. :) He now goes down in history as one of the all time great men's figure skaters. :D

Definitely. :worship:

vancouverite
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Disagree completely that he'll be considered one of the 'all-time' greats....(the commentators on British Eurosport were spouting similar hyperbole, without any apparent backward glances to the truly great skaters that preceded Plushenko). He's won a gold medal, and congratulations to him for that fine achievement! Plus I quite like his obvious competitive mettle (he's the only one of the top medal contenders who didn't blow it one way or another, and he had the most pressure on him).

But, 'all-time great'? No, not yet. I reckon he'd have to win another gold in Vancouver to gain that honour, because artistically he's not on a par with the likes of Kulik, Yagudin, Browning, Orser, Eldridge, Boitano, Petrenko, Urmanov, Weir, Cousins, and others whose artistry far outweighs Evgeni's (and whose technical skills were - relatively speaking - equal to his). Not all of them won Olympic gold, but I'd still put every single one of them before Plushenko in a list of memorable skaters (and individual performances).

But good on him for showing this year's stable-mates how to handle the immense pressure and still perform as he knew he could!:)

Sevenseas
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:00 AM
But, 'all-time great'? No, not yet.

He is on his way there... ;) Rock solid! :cool:

Martian KC
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Bleh. At least he can finally retire now, so I don't have to see him skate much longer.

azmad_88
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:53 AM
the good news for me(bad news for some)
he told eurosport HE WONT RETIRE..he is only 23!!! why should he retire??(thats wat he said)

iine:
Feb 17th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Well done, Evgeni! :worship: No doubt about him taking the gold. :bowdown:

DelMonte
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:41 PM
He's overrated IMO, but still the best there is right now. Ever since Yagudin left he has yet to have a rival. No one to make him feel the heat. All the other guys act like kid sisters when it's crunch time. And the fact that the judges have annointed him doesn't hurt his cause.

Could not have said it better. I thought the competition was sooo disappointing!

skanky~skanketta
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM
why did yagudin retire?

Allez Joosteen
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:27 PM
While Plushenko deserved to win, this new points system is nothing different than the past. Composition scores are still inflated and bias towards "expected" winners, and do nothing for skaters who stand out artistically...as the composition is supposed to do. Plushenko got a whooping 85 points for his composition score, despite doing pretty much crap other than his jumps. Meanwhile, Johnny Weir, a superior artistic skater to Plushenko got like 75 composition opoints or something. Johnny didn't skate that well tonight jump wise, but the system old or new shows that if you are a quad-quad, quad-triple-double-single skater you are going to get all the points. As far as I'm concerned the composition score should just be deleted.

Oh you're not bitter. Not at all. :tape:

Ellery
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Well done Evgeni! Beautiful jumps :worship:

FLL
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:29 PM

No way.. Johnny did not show he was an artistic staker last night... It's one of the worst time I've seen him skate...

GrandSlam05
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:35 PM
why did yagudin retire?
Well, he accomplished his ultimate dream of winning olympic gold.
However, even if he wanted to continue, he wouldn't have been able to jump because his hip was pretty much shot.

Jeff
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Oh you're not bitter. Not at all. :tape:

Bitter? Did my post sound bitter? Lol, well actually I'm not bitter at all, I'm only stating the obvious. The new system still rewards quantity over quality, and doesn't at all eliminate bias scoring. I can't say I'm a fan of Plushenko, but I knew he would win and he deserved to win. Nobody skated well enough in the free program to challenge him, however even if they did, he most likely still would have won due to his inflated compositional scores. He could do quad...stand still for 20 seconds....quad-triple-double....stand still a few seconds---triple-triple...stand and look at his watch for 20 seconds and then raise his hand in the air to finish the program and he'd still gain inflated compositional scores to match his technical scores.

tennisjam
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:23 PM
simply the best :yeah:

harloo
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Men's skating is going downhill with all these big quad jumps. Most of the skaters fell on all of them. Plushenko was the only one who could do the big jumps consistently and that's why he won. The artistic side of his program was lacking very much. :o

Bероника
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Congrats Zhenya :worship:

Now I hope Irina wins gold too ;)

tennisjam
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Now I hope Irina wins gold too ;)

definitely, she is such a sweety :kiss:

tennisluver99
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Plushenko :ras:

Yagudin :hearts:

kosmikgroove
Feb 18th, 2006, 12:02 AM
PLushenko's program was the most uninspiring program that I have ever seen in my life.

Granted it was geared to the new system which I absolutely abhore, so credit to him for winning under the circumstances.

JennyS
Feb 18th, 2006, 12:10 AM
This was the worst men's competition I've ever seen. I missed the old system where the top 3 skaters controlled their destiny going into the free skate. There was no excitement and everyone was falling. It's also pretty sad that the silver medalist didn't land a triple axel and then bronze medalist fell twice in the short program. Also Matt Savoie, who has excellent presentation and difficult jump entrenches and didn't make as many mistakes finishes 7th?

I really miss the old days with the Yagudin/Plushenko rivalry. Evgeny had a lot more incentive to have some choreography back in those days. His jumps are amazing though.

THIS EVENT SUCKED SUCKED SUCKED. Bring back the 6.0's!!!!! There's no way anyone would fall twice in a short program and win a medal!!!

JennyS
Feb 18th, 2006, 12:16 AM
PLushenko's program was the most uninspiring program that I have ever seen in my life.

Granted it was geared to the new system which I absolutely abhore, so credit to him for winning under the circumstances.

I agree, the new system absolutely blows. I hate the idea that falling on a quad gets you decent points. The old judging system was far from perfect, but it made a lot more sense! I hate the cumulative scores, which can end the competition before it starts.

I wonder what the results would have been with the old scoring system. Plushenko would still be first no doubt, but after that, I think the results would be different.

FLL
Feb 18th, 2006, 12:26 AM
People don't like the new system because their fav skaters don't win :rolleyes:

Get over it because it's going to stay that way...

Tennis Fool
Feb 18th, 2006, 12:57 AM
I agree, the new system absolutely blows. I hate the idea that falling on a quad gets you decent points. The old judging system was far from perfect, but it made a lot more sense! I hate the cumulative scores, which can end the competition before it starts.

I wonder what the results would have been with the old scoring system. Plushenko would still be first no doubt, but after that, I think the results would be different.
Well, blame the pairs controversity of SLC for the new system. Ironically, I wonder if the Canadians would have won under the new system :scratch:

Crazy Canuck
Feb 18th, 2006, 02:06 AM

That's an incredibly folly assumption to make, especially when you consider that nobody in this thread has stated that Plushy shouldn't have won. Like, wtf? :confused:

Martian KC
Feb 18th, 2006, 01:11 PM

How familiar are those words.......ah those were my exact same feelings towards Lipinski's Nagano win. No matter what excuse they will find, jumps will always be deciding factor.

kosmikgroove
Feb 18th, 2006, 07:33 PM
How familiar are those words.......ah those were my exact same feelings towards Lipinski's Nagano win. No matter what excuse they will find, jumps will always be deciding factor.

i completely agree.

Lipinski's program was completely devoid of the "youthful exuberance" that people say it had. she was a jumping bean that knew how to smile. Michelle was robbed when giving one of the best performances of her life :fiery:

Jeff
Feb 18th, 2006, 11:48 PM

My disliking of the new system has nothing to do with my favorite players not winning. First of all, I have never been a fan of any of the current male skaters to care too much for one over the other (except for the retired Yagudin). Secondly, the same skaters expected to win before are still the favorites to win under the same system.

My disliking of the new system, is that while it is a new way of scoring, I don't think it does what it says it's supposed to do. The artistic portion is still subjective, and easily manipulative to favor the technical skaters. The only new thing the system does is allow skaters to be more technical, little or no artistic impression. More jumps and little artistry was already a given for the future, and this system only promotes that, resulting now with stirctly mechanical and boring programs.

azmad_88
Feb 19th, 2006, 04:31 AM
I just saw Plushenko on Eurosport.He is ok,but he diddnt look that really positive.He was shcoked with that accident.(i dont think its that bad).He arrived at St.Petersburg Russia safely.Thats good news.