PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Vs. Intel Daul Core IMac (renamed from broken ibook)

Wigglytuff
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:21 AM
my ibook is broken it is set to cost $700-900 to fix and repair everything. it wont turn on or anything. :bigcry: :bigcry: :baby: :bigcry:

i am without a computer, i have a paper due in a week but my data is on the ibook and i cant get it out without doing the repair :bigcry: i have no interweb (i am using my sisters pc :help: )

AjdeNate!
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:35 AM
:macisbroken:

Wigglytuff
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:43 AM
:macisbroken:
because pcs never break :rolleyes:

AjdeNate!
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:46 AM
because pcs never break :rolleyes:
:ras: Just giving ya shit Jiggles. I do feel horribly for you. I'd rather be stricken with a fatal illness than have a busted comp.

Scotso
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:47 AM
ok?

Wigglytuff
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:52 AM
:ras: Just giving ya shit Jiggles. I do feel horribly for you. I'd rather be stricken with a fatal illness than have a busted comp.
sorry i am sensitive
my data, photo, music all gone. :sad: :sad:

and it will cost hundreds (if not thousands :help: ) to get it back

AjdeNate!
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:53 AM
sorry i am sensitive
my data, photo, music all gone. :sad: :sad:

and it will cost hundreds (if not thousands :help: ) to get it back
the ibook is cute... and really i do feel badly for you.
it's happened to me. lost all my stuff. now i backup.

Rocketta
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:11 AM
:sobbing:

:BacksStuffUpRightNow:

darrinbaker00
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Especially a busted Mac. :eek:

Cariaoke
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:43 AM
This is why you buy external hard drives. :)

*does weekly backup* :D

PamShriverRockz
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:40 AM
:eek: Awww Jiggly! That suckz :bigcry:

What's wrong with it??

controlfreak
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:22 AM
:haha: haha, that happened to me too :yeah: was it one of the old G3's? Mine is now a 1000 paperweight. :cool: btw if you have access to another mac you can try booting up the ibook in target disk mode which will allow you to retrieve everything from its hard disk.

moral of the story: always buy two macs - one alone is not reliable enough!

Wigglytuff
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM
:eek: Awww Jiggly! That suckz :bigcry:

What's wrong with it??
it wont turn on or boot or anything. :bigcry: it is just a paperweight right now. they say (at the apple store help bar) that its a logic board problem and that the bevel needs to be replaced together its $700-$900 they guy at the store said he would vote for having it cost $435 but he was 100% sure he would be over riden and that its not going to be an "in warranty" repair :bigcry:

ugh!!! now is not the time to have a broken mac, with a paper due in a week and the intel ibooks just 3-4months away :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

if i fix it, its $700-$900 to fix something thats not worth half that is going to be obselete in a few months, and not regular obselete, really really obselete :bigcry:

if i dont, i am screwed. if i decided to buy a new comp. i have to be the already obselete ibook G4, or spend $1799 on a mac book pro!!! :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

either way i am hella screwed. $700-$1799 screwed :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Wigglytuff
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:05 PM
:haha: haha, that happened to me too :yeah: was it one of the old G3's? Mine is now a 1000 paperweight. :cool: btw if you have access to another mac you can try booting up the ibook in target disk mode which will allow you to retrieve everything from its hard disk.

moral of the story: always buy two macs - one alone is not reliable enough!
this is the real tragedy! no other mac in which to do target disk mode :sad: :sad: :sad:

Wigglytuff
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:08 PM
the ibook is cute... and really i do feel badly for you.
it's happened to me. lost all my stuff. now i backup.
its ok, i have claimed down :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: its one of those things that happens to lots of people. and its always sad, you are right i would rather have a broken bone than a broken computer. :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :sad:

Kart
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:37 PM
i am using my sisters pc :help:

Nick it.

tennislover
Feb 16th, 2006, 01:31 PM
poor darling..... :hug:

Lord Nelson
Feb 16th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Is spyware the cause of this breakdown? :embarassed:

*JR*
Feb 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM
it wont turn on or boot or anything. :bigcry: it is just a paperweight right now. they say (at the apple store help bar that its a logic board problem and that the bevel needs to be replaced together its $700-$900 they guy at the store said he would vote for having it cost $435 but he was 100% sure he would be over riden and that its not going to be an "in warranty" repair :bigcry:

Ask him to try to negotiate a credit from Apple for the repair cost towards the purchase of the Intel-based model when it comes out, or else you'll "relunctantly have to" go the PC-with-Linux route. Cite your many pro-Mac posts here (and elsewhere?) that way predate the problem. If you still need help, PM me for some names @ their headquarters.

-Sonic-
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:01 PM
600 new laptop last week :mad:

anyone need a rentboy, no limits? :p

kabuki
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Poor Jiggly. :sad: :hug:

Hurricane Lily
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:08 PM
aahh same thing happened to my niece's iBook! it wont turn on and they said the hard drive is busted and need to be replaced for the same amount as Jiggly's...
I say.. GO DELL! :D

Wigglytuff
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Is spyware the cause of this breakdown? :embarassed:
lol no macs dont get spyware. its a hardware problem. something wrong wit the logic board, please dont ask what a logic board is, becausei dont know what it is.

Wigglytuff
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:19 PM
aahh same thing happened to my niece's iBook! it wont turn on and they said the hard drive is busted and need to be replaced for the same amount as Jiggly's...
I say.. GO DELL! :D
i did figure out apples trick though. is the check they outside of the machine and wont do a damn thing free if there is even on mark on it. (as you see from other posts i do treat my ibook like shit :bigcry: ) but i have had had a number of ipod repairs free because the outside looks neat and new. :mad: :mad:

griffin
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Can't they just yank the hard drive and save your data for you? Won't fix the beast, but at leasty you wouldn't shell out hundreds to fix as soon-to-be-a-doorstop-anyway machine.

The only thing more evil than computers are the people selling them.

Wigglytuff
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Ask him to try to negotiate a credit from Apple for the repair cost towards the purchase of the Intel-based model when it comes out, or else you'll "relunctantly have to" go the PC-with-Linux route. Cite your many pro-Mac posts here (and elsewhere?) that way predate the problem. If you still need help, PM me for some names @ their headquarters.
i can try. and will do so today. but i know apple and they dont like giving help like that. if i wanted the credit for a power pc ibook i am sure i could get it with no problem, but i would still end up having to pay part of the costs, and still be screwed ish. :sad: :sad:

Wigglytuff
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Can't they just yank the hard drive and save your data for you? Won't fix the beast, but at leasty you wouldn't shell out hundreds to fix as soon-to-be-a-doorstop-anyway machine.

The only thing more evil than computers are the people selling them.
yes, but here is the kicker, it will cost $150-$300 and i would have to have a mac for them to transfer the data too. now i could try to get them to burn the data onto a dvd.

PamShriverRockz
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Aw this is shit. :awww: Hope you get it sorted Jiggly.

*making backups of the backups of the backups*

Wigglytuff
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Aw this is shit. :awww: Hope you get it sorted Jiggly.

*making backups of the backups of the backups*

shit is exactly what this is. tomorrow if i am less depressed i will post a list of options and prices for each and get everyones advice. :sad: :sad:

!<blocparty>!
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Mine cost like $2000, apparently. That's what they put on the bill. I had it under warranty though.

Message of warning: Do not spill milk into the keyboard. :tape:

Wigglytuff
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Mine cost like $2000, apparently. That's what they put on the bill. I had it under warranty though.

Message of warning: Do not spill milk into the keyboard. :tape:
ugh. it is under warranty they just wont cover it :bigcry:

but i did have a toshiba ages ago that i spilt soda on and it worked like a charm after i let it dry. :kiss:

griffin
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:35 PM
ugh. it is under warranty they just wont cover it :bigcry:

If it's under warranty they shouldn't have a choice :bigsue:

Wigglytuff
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:49 PM
thats what i thought. but they are saying that the damage is the result of "abuse" and wont fix it under warranty. :mad: how i was expected to have gotten inside the logic board to abuse it is beyond me (mind you i dont know what a logic board is), but i dont really have the spare time or the means to hire a lawyer (though i did think about doing it) :mad: :mad:

griffin
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:56 PM
The money you'd spend on a real lawyer would make it more expensive than just fixing the thing. Hiring a fake lawyer, while providing us with many entertaining stories, would probably not help.

But you should see if your attorney general's office has some kind of consumer affairs/conflict resolution office that might help you out. It's at least worth complaining to Apple's corporate types.

Wigglytuff
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:19 PM
The money you'd spend on a real lawyer would make it more expensive than just fixing the thing. Hiring a fake lawyer, while providing us with many entertaining stories, would probably not help.

But you should see if your attorney general's office has some kind of consumer affairs/conflict resolution office that might help you out. It's at least worth complaining to Apple's corporate types.
i will definately add that to the to do list

dementieva's fan
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Get a Dell just have a look at their site there is some really cheap shit out their available on easy financing or look at the Thinkpads, stay away fron the macs

Hurricane Lily
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:36 PM
thats what i thought. but they are saying that the damage is the result of "abuse" and wont fix it under warranty. :mad: how i was expected to have gotten inside the logic board to abuse it is beyond me (mind you i dont know what a logic board is), but i dont really have the spare time or the means to hire a lawyer (though i did think about doing it) :mad: :mad:

Jiggly, they said the same thing to my niece... :fiery: and also it's still under warranty! and they wont even save the data for her... told her to get a firewire and another apple comp and do it herself.. soo helpful those apple geniuses!!! :mad:

dementieva's fan
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:37 PM

See this a problem with the macs, if they break who do you go to for repairs, the apple store? :rolleyes: Whereas had this been a PC you could have gone to the guy next door who is studying computer architecture and asked him for a favour (The most he could ask you for is to strip for him :shrug: )

dementieva's fan
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:41 PM
lol no macs dont get spyware. its a hardware problem. something wrong wit the logic board, please dont ask what a logic board is, becausei dont know what it is.

logic board is just a fancy word for motherboard :p

*JR*
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:43 PM
NYC (@ least had when I lived there) Small Claims Court, then up to $2,000 cases. In the evening. You don't need a lawyer, but a business defendant does. (And JP can have process served on them @ any Apple company owned store). Their lawyers will want des-per-ate-ly to go home if she has a shred of a case, and will probably call her ova to settle instead of waiting there for hours. ;)

Pheobo
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:18 PM
macs cost too much to fix.

Wigglytuff
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:26 AM
NYC (@ least had when I lived there) Small Claims Court, then up to $2,000 cases. In the evening. You don't need a lawyer, but a business defendant does. (And JP can have process served on them @ any Apple company owned store). Their lawyers will want des-per-ate-ly to go home if she has a shred of a case, and will probably call her ova to settle instead of waiting there for hours. ;)
ugh... i did that for taking out the tenants its not that easy and really time consuming because if you serve them wrong you have to do it again. i really dont have the time or the energy to fight a billion dollar company over a logic board.

AjdeNate!
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:32 AM
:awww: Poor jiggles.

Wigglytuff
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Get a Dell just have a look at their site there is some really cheap shit out their available on easy financing or look at the Thinkpads, stay away fron the macs
dell = HELL NO they are the worse peices of junks ever. even people that like pc's dont touch them. i am on my sisters pc right now, and not being able to right click to get a words spelling or defination is fucking killing me. she is running xp pro on a desktop (dell) and i dont like it:

no sticky keys (fucking awesome)
no text reader
no definitions
no built in spellcheck for all typed text
no Preview
no IPhoto (grrrr)
no ilisten
no Mail
no print to pdf

Wigglytuff
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Jiggly, they said the same thing to my niece... :fiery: and also it's still under warranty! and they wont even save the data for her... told her to get a firewire and another apple comp and do it herself.. soo helpful those apple geniuses!!! :mad:
:sad: :sad: :sad: :mad:

did she get a new mac or switch back

Wigglytuff
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:36 AM
See this a problem with the macs, if they break who do you go to for repairs, the apple store? :rolleyes: Whereas had this been a PC you could have gone to the guy next door who is studying computer architecture and asked him for a favour (The most he could ask you for is to strip for him :shrug: )
i can get a friend to fix it. i just dont know of any "fixed by friend" mac or pc to last longer than a day

Wigglytuff
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:37 AM
:awww: Poor jiggles.
i wish there was an easy way to fix this :sad: :sad: :sad:

AjdeNate!
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:38 AM
maybe you should take up a collection of $ to save the mac. iMoney for iJigglys iBook. I'd give ya a few dollars.

controlfreak
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:04 PM
i wish there was an easy way to fix this :sad: :sad: :sad:

Jiggly: if the ibook is still in your possession, you can try the following fix. Put it on a flat surface and press down on the area just below the left alt key. You will need to press with quite a lot of force, I used to use my whole body weight (60kg). Press down with your hands as if you were literally performing CPR on the ibook. The reason for this is that underneath this spot is the logic board's graphics chip which has a tendency to come loose on old ibooks. After applying the pressure for a few seconds, release and try booting the ibook. If you are lucky, it may boot normally, or possibly with scrambled graphics in which case you need to turn it off and apply more pressure.

Of course, if the problem is elsewhere this will have no effect, but this is by far the most common cause of ibook failures. Doing this trick will do no harm to your ibook - I used to perform it on a daily basis for over a year, prolonging the life of my dying ibook.

*JR*
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:21 PM
ugh... i did that for taking out the tenants its not that easy and really time consuming because if you serve them wrong you have to do it again. i really dont have the time or the energy to fight a billion dollar company over a logic board.
Going to Small Claims Court in NYC is a "game of chicken", in which the bigger your foe (meaning a company with an expensive law firm) the better off UR. See, they won't just answer "here" when the clerk calls the roll after the judge enters. (Which would mean a largely non-appealable ruling by an arbitrator).

They'll say "by the court" (meaning the judge should hear the case, which is then subject to appeal) despite the judge having told everyone that they may be waiting for hours in that case. Uh, they don't want that, especially if they worked a full day (or will the next, or both). So as long as your demands aren't unreasonable, they may well give in. (Forget if you want to wait, for all their lawyers know you're unemployed with nothing better to do). ;)

Wigglytuff
Feb 17th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Jiggly: if the ibook is still in your possession, you can try the following fix. Put it on a flat surface and press down on the area just below the left alt key. You will need to press with quite a lot of force, I used to use my whole body weight (60kg). Press down with your hands as if you were literally performing CPR on the ibook. The reason for this is that underneath this spot is the logic board's graphics chip which has a tendency to come loose on old ibooks. After applying the pressure for a few seconds, release and try booting the ibook. If you are lucky, it may boot normally, or possibly with scrambled graphics in which case you need to turn it off and apply more pressure.

Of course, if the problem is elsewhere this will have no effect, but this is by far the most common cause of ibook failures. Doing this trick will do no harm to your ibook - I used to perform it on a daily basis for over a year, prolonging the life of my dying ibook.
i am going to try this NOW brb
edit: no worky :bigcry:

Wigglytuff
Feb 17th, 2006, 05:25 PM
maybe you should take up a collection of $ to save the mac. iMoney for iJigglys iBook. I'd give ya a few dollars.
am i allowed to???

PaulieM
Feb 17th, 2006, 06:43 PM
:hug: that sucks so bad! i live in perpetual fear of something going wrong with my computer. as much as i hate it sometimes, i know i'd die without it. :scared:

Haimar
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Ok, I understand, it's terrible for you, but don't get to dramatic :rolleyes:

dementieva's fan
Feb 17th, 2006, 11:03 PM
dell = HELL NO they are the worse peices of junks ever. even people that like pc's dont touch them. i am on my sisters pc right now, and not being able to right click to get a words spelling or defination is fucking killing me. she is running xp pro on a desktop (dell) and i dont like it:

no sticky keys (fucking awesome)
no text reader
no definitions
no built in spellcheck for all typed text
no Preview
no IPhoto (grrrr)
no ilisten
no Mail
no print to pdf

Sounds like your sister's pc is already screwed up and all the programs and features you mentioned above are available for windows for free! I could post links to 10 programs like iPhoto and others for windows. Just give windows a chance.

Wigglytuff
Feb 18th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Ok, I understand, it's terrible for you, but don't get to dramatic :rolleyes:
seriously fuck off. go find something better to do than being an asshole.

Wigglytuff
Feb 18th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Sounds like your sister's pc is already screwed up and all the programs and features you mentioned above are available for windows for free! I could post links to 10 programs like iPhoto and others for windows. Just give windows a chance.
please list them because i will be stuck using this for at least a few weeks.

like iphoto?? i dont know about that... even for mac there is nothing else like iphoto.

Fingon
Feb 18th, 2006, 07:04 AM

the logic board is the mother board and it definitely doesn't cost $700, and you can put a refurbished one, ask for a second opinion.

And the macs do get spyware

Wigglytuff
Feb 18th, 2006, 07:56 AM
the logic board is the mother board and it definitely doesn't cost $700, and you can put a refurbished one, ask for a second opinion.

And the macs do get spyware
after labor from a certified repair place or apple dealer it does. and i got a third opinion from a terserve http://www.tekserve.com/

:sad: :sad: this place is selling them for $919 :help:
http://store.yahoo.com/lovemacs/6613188.html

this place has a used out of stock installit yourselfer for $449
http://www.ifixit.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=1148&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Wigglytuff
Mar 1st, 2006, 06:04 PM
ok update, i bought an imac today. and ordered a macbook pro but the ship date for the macbook is not till april. the imac is the 17inch its at the retail store and they are transfering my data, i should get it back tomorrow or friday.

Rocketta
Mar 1st, 2006, 07:51 PM
ok update, i bought an imac today. and ordered a macbook pro but the ship date for the macbook is not till april. the imac is the 17inch its at the retail store and they are transfering my data, i should get it back tomorrow or friday.

congrats...my ibook display messed up yesterday. I'm now looking at a teal screen. :sad: They are shipping me a box to send it in any day now. However, listening to your story I will make digital images of it before I send it so if they come back with abuse :bs: I'll be prepared. However, I will have to buy the extended warranty which I didn't do initially. :fiery:

Wigglytuff
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:09 AM
congrats...my ibook display messed up yesterday. I'm now looking at a teal screen. :sad: They are shipping me a box to send it in any day now. However, listening to your story I will make digital images of it before I send it so if they come back with abuse :bs: I'll be prepared. However, I will have to buy the extended warranty which I didn't do initially. :fiery:
no congrats. i am NOT keeping the imac. but i NEED a computer. i had a paper due today and my prof was a total asshole and claimed i made up the story about my computer. she said i had to have a paper in by the 15th "or else".

i figure i can return it by the 15th and get a full refund after the $100 fee. which is a small price to pay to have a computer for 2 weeks.

rumor has it that fed 8th orders of the mac book pro are shipping so i may only have to wait 10 days for my macbook pro to ship.

AjdeNate!
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:58 AM
Hope you get your paper done and get your book back soon Jiggles.

PamShriverRockz
Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:39 AM
Hope you get your paper done and get your book back soon Jiggles.

Yeah good luck Jiggly! I'm sure you'll get your work done :) <and at least enjoy the iMac, they rockz ;) >

Wigglytuff
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:40 PM
Yeah good luck Jiggly! I'm sure you'll get your work done :) <and at least enjoy the iMac, they rockz ;) >
lol i hope so too. i like the new imac and all but i miss the ilamp
http://inferno.slug.org/jpeg/ilamp.jpg :hearts: :hearts:

Sally Struthers
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:12 PM
no congrats. i am NOT keeping the imac. but i NEED a computer. i had a paper due today and my prof was a total asshole and claimed i made up the story about my computer. she said i had to have a paper in by the 15th "or else".

Hello! There is the library! :shrug:

Wigglytuff
Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:36 PM
Hello! There is the library! :shrug:
read the thread. my data is in the old computer, and theres no way to get it out without having some place for the repair service to put it. so unless there are libraries out there that have G4, 1.07ghz, dual usb, 60GB ibooks that i can take to the repair service in the the apple for them to open up and put the old HDD in. and unless the library will let me return a G4 with an empty HDD and broken motherboard, its of no use to.

if you know of such a place post a link and i would be more than happy to give them a call.

Wigglytuff
Mar 4th, 2006, 12:05 AM
i finally got my imac, and its soooo awesome. i am like way excited and dont know how i am going to let this thing go in a week and half.

i dont know if its going from 12in laptop to the 17in desktop.

Rocketta
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:39 AM
i finally got my imac, and its soooo awesome. i am like way excited and dont know how i am going to let this thing go in a week and half.

i dont know if its going from 12in laptop to the 17in desktop.

so your imac has a 17in screen and the macbook only has a 12in? :confused:

Wigglytuff
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:48 AM
so your imac has a 17in screen and the macbook only has a 12in? :confused:
the macbook pro (which is on order) is going to be 15in, the ibook which is broken is 12in, and the imac which i am typing on right now :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: is 17in.

i've never played with the macbook, so i was saying thati might just be this impressed because i am going from the 12in ibook, too the nice big screen of the 17in imac.

Wigglytuff
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:51 AM
rocketta what ever happened with you ibook??

Rocketta
Mar 4th, 2006, 01:52 AM
rocketta what ever happened with you ibook??

I sent it off today..

Rocketta
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:02 AM
the macbook pro (which is on order) is going to be 15in, the ibook which is broken is 12in, and the imac which i am typing on right now :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: is 17in.

i've never played with the macbook, so i was saying thati might just be this impressed because i am going from the 12in ibook, too the nice big screen of the 17in imac.

ah, I see that is a big jump in monitor size. :yeah:

Wigglytuff
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:03 PM
ah, I see that is a big jump in monitor size. :yeah:
:bounce: :bounce: this 17 in is sooo nice. i wish apple would remove the return fee in you trade in one computer for something bigger.

PamShriverRockz
Mar 4th, 2006, 05:12 PM
iMac ROCKZ :worship: