PDA

View Full Version : Bode Miller and Olympic hype

Tennis Fool
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Bode Miller has been the face of NBC and Nike's Olympics campaign based on the fact that he was the champion of the ski season last winter and he had the potential to win 5 gold medals here. Plus, he had the "bad boy" personality that is great for marketing.

Well, he placed 5th on the downhill and was DQ from the combined event. He also went into games controversially after the 60 minutes interview where he alluded to skiing while hung over. Plus, he did nothing in the ski season, which some people say was a result of him caring more about partying than training.

Now NBC and Nike are scared he will be the "Andy Mojo" of the Olympics. Ratings are already down due to stars not living up to the hype (ie Michelle Kwan, Apollo, US ski team overall, etc) with only Shaun White living up to the expectations.

My own opinion is that like the theme of the movie "Match Point" luck plays a very big factor in these competitions. You work hard and then, like Bode and Raiche, ski between gates while going so fast, or you win gold because a more talented athlete goes down (ie Ligetey in the combined).

It's all a game--if you don't talk with the media, then you're branded as sullen or negative and may lose getting the spotlight on your sport. However, if you do play the media game, then if you don't perform to expectations you become a joke.

So, any thoughts as we finish out the first week of the Olympics?

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:35 PM
:wavey: tennis fool! go mtf, lol

anyway, bode miller... very ironic. lol. ya kinda have to laugh. definitely the andy mojo of the olympics! like the match point analogy! bode--stop partying!! eating quesidillas... typing on one hand... sorry for choppy sentences

Tennis Fool
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:41 PM
:wavey: tennis fool! go mtf, lol

anyway, bode miller... very ironic. lol. ya kinda have to laugh. definitely the andy mojo of the olympics! like the match point analogy! bode--stop partying!! eating quesidillas... typing on one hand... sorry for choppy sentences
I think Bode is somewhat like an American Marat Safin, but with the Andy Roddick hype.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:54 PM
so then you're a fan?? lol

XaDavK_Kapri
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:24 AM
I honestly think he gets what he deserves. He thinks he can win easily even if he doesn't train real hard, gets drunk, stays out until 2am. Sure dude, maybe you can do that in World Cups. Now see where it gets you at the Olympics. The athletes who train hard get the win. End of the story.

Tennis Fool
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:30 AM
I honestly think he gets what he deserves. He thinks he can win easily even if he doesn't train real hard, gets drunk, stays out until 2am. Sure dude, maybe you can do that in World Cups. Now see where it gets you at the Olympics. The athletes who train hard get the win. End of the story.
That's true, most of the time. But Ted Ligetey won gold and he was like, completely out of it after the downhill. Raiche was the fav and a hard worker, but he suffered the same fate as Bode, splitting a gate.

Like Marat Safin often says--it's luck.

canuckfan
Feb 16th, 2006, 01:42 AM
He's not doing that bad. Downhill and slalom are not his best events. His best shot will be in the Super G. Alpine skiing is a sport with a lot of depth (as opposed to speed skating for exemple), with 15 to 20 athletes who can climb on the podium in each races. So it's really hard to win a lot of medals. Plus, Bode is not having a very good year.

gsm
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:06 AM
ive seen heaps of stars, world champs, event favs that have missed out on medals at turin.

the winter sports seems to be real hard for the fav's to win because a lot of the time it comes down to 100th/1000th of a second, or missing a single shot in the biathalon etc...

bode isnt the only one to have lucked out.

Tennis Fool
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:22 AM
ive seen heaps of stars, world champs, event favs that have missed out on medals at turin.

the winter sports seems to be real hard for the fav's to win because a lot of the time it comes down to 100th/1000th of a second, or missing a single shot in the biathalon etc...

bode isnt the only one to have lucked out.
Yes, but the media here makes it sound as if it is UNACCEPTABLE to not win Gold if you CAN win gold.

I'm interested knowing how the media of other countries cover dissapointments.

Tennis Fool
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:28 AM
Just watched the "Olympic Moments" where Jimmy Roberts covered the woman who fell and spent a night in the hospital and then skiied and finished 8th. He said the point of the Olympics is sometimes defininig your own expectations of triumph.

That's bullshit. NBC has reminded us time and again that anything less that GOLD is unacceptable. Lisa Kildrow (I think that's her name) will not be remembered after this Olympics. She won't have her name on the Wheaties box.

I still don't get if you make a massive mistake like a fall on the downhill how that is different from almost falling, but surviving practice run and still placing 8th.

canuckfan
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:42 AM
It's basically the same thing in Canada. The media focus way too much on the disappointment. I don't like it. There's too much negativity.

Basically if you finish 3rd you're a hero but if you're 4th you're a disgrace, even if it's only by 0.01 second.

I guess when you are used to having really big success in sport (in Canada it's all relative), the medias have to create a lot of hype to interest the public.

gsm
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:56 AM
I'm interested knowing how the media of other countries cover dissapointments.
australian tv doesnt expect aussies to win medals at the winter olympics. :lol:

at the summer games, australia's bode miller/michelle kwan is ian thorpe/grant hacket and they always win heaps of gold, so i dont know how australian tv would cover it if they lost.

PaulieM
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:58 AM
from what i've watched of the olympics it just seems like there is soo much luck involved in a lot of these events, i know that's true for any sport but somehow it's just been so much more noticeable this winter olympics than in the summer olympics or some other events. :shrug:

Tennis Fool
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:58 AM
australian tv doesnt expect aussies to win medals at the winter olympics. :lol:

and at the summer olympics the good news storys (aussies winning gold) take most of coverage and the people that miss out on medals barely get a mention.

at the summer games, australia's bode miller/michelle kwan is ian thorpe/grant hacket and they always win heaps of gold, so i dont know how australian tv would cover it if they lost.
You mean IT wasn't buried by Michael Phelps :p ;)

gsm
Feb 16th, 2006, 03:03 AM
You mean IT wasn't buried by Michael Phelps :p ;)
no :o

skanky~skanketta
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:03 AM
i dont like him.

Lord Nelson
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Bode Miller has been the face of NBC and Nike's Olympics campaign based on the fact that he was the champion of the ski season last winter and he had the potential to win 5 gold medals here. Plus, he had the "bad boy" personality that is great for marketing.

Well, he placed 5th on the downhill and was DQ from the combined event. He also went into games controversially after the 60 minutes interview where he alluded to skiing while hung over. Plus, he did nothing in the ski season, which some people say was a result of him caring more about partying than training.

Now NBC and Nike are scared he will be the "Andy Mojo" of the Olympics. Ratings are already down due to stars not living up to the hype (ie Michelle Kwan, Apollo, US ski team overall, etc) with only Shaun White living up to the expectations.

My own opinion is that like the theme of the movie "Match Point" luck plays a very big factor in these competitions. You work hard and then, like Bode and Raiche, ski between gates while going so fast, or you win gold because a more talented athlete goes down (ie Ligetey in the combined).

It's all a game--if you don't talk with the media, then you're branded as sullen or negative and may lose getting the spotlight on your sport. However, if you do play the media game, then if you don't perform to expectations you become a joke.

So, any thoughts as we finish out the first week of the Olympics?
Apollo, Kwan and Bode Miller all have won medals in the previous Olympics so they have nothing to prove. But Miller is an idiot for telling the media on how his ski boots helping him race and gave out how the boots were made.

Tennis Fool
Feb 19th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Apollo, Kwan and Bode Miller all have won medals in the previous Olympics so they have nothing to prove.
Yes, but they keep harping on how he had the potential to received 5 Gold medals and become the best Olympic skier of all time. Same with Kwan. Will Apollo, it's "what have you done lately?" (although he did just win bronze).

But Miller is an idiot for telling the media on how his ski boots helping him race and gave out how the boots were made.

I don't quite get your point on this? I haven't heard anything about his boots, but about how he decided on new skiis the day before the downhill and how Rahlves did too, then changed his mind at the top of the mountain.

Anyway, 0-3 here with two DNFs. Similar to his current World Cup results.

drake3781
Feb 19th, 2006, 03:57 AM
I just don't believe in casting any sportsmen/women as heroes. It's done as a marketing technique, and it does not appeal to me. That's why I'm sick of heraing about Bode Miller. Same thing with Maria Sharapova.

To me sport is not all about being the best. It's about challenges, interesting stories, great competition, deserving winners.

selking
Feb 19th, 2006, 04:01 AM
it is really annoying how he just doesnt care when he loses.

kabuki
Feb 19th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Miller gets on my damn nerves.

Diesel
Feb 19th, 2006, 04:50 AM
When the network or the media builds you up into an image that you may not live up to or that you the complete opposite of, when you do not deliver on expectations, a big problem arises as it has with Bode. Is it Bode or the network/US?

Scotso
Feb 19th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I don't like him at all.

tennisluver99
Feb 19th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Bode Miller is a drunk

Jenny.C.Fan
Feb 19th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Bode has had a lot of bad luck at the olympics but he'll bounce back

azmad_88
Feb 20th, 2006, 09:37 AM
he wont win medal in Giant Slalom i think
he is 12th at the moment

wipeout
Feb 20th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Bode Miller is a high-risk skier. His genius/insanity skiing can be very effective. When it works. ;)

In the once every 4 years pressure situation that is the Olympics, you'd maybe expect Bode to have some problems.

canuckfan
Feb 20th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Bode 0 in 4, with just the slalom remaining...his weakest event.

Jenny.C.Fan
Feb 20th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Bode's 2nd run was superb today, his 1st was dissapointing, should've won a medal if his 1st run was better.

WF4EVER
Feb 20th, 2006, 04:10 PM
The American media has yet to learn that they contribute a great deal to the crash of many of their athletes with their constant overhyping.

A few tennis players come to mind. When you heap so much expectation on a person you can do them more harm than good. They are only human beings and not everyone can handle that kind of pressure. It's really a pity because sometimes you want to see them fail just for all the media attention they get.

Tennis Fool
Feb 21st, 2006, 12:50 AM
Bode Miller is a high-risk skier. His genius/insanity skiing can be very effective. When it works. ;)

In the once every 4 years pressure situation that is the Olympics, you'd maybe expect Bode to have some problems.

This is very true. In fact, he was the ONLY member of the US team to win medals in Salt Lake City and he almost fell in one of those races. (I think Hermann Meier called him a rodeo on skiis).

A commentator in figure skating here said it's hard to get the results when you haven't gotten them throughout the season. You can say this of Bode, who basically mirrored his results this year (lots of DNFs). Too bad the Olympics weren't last winter. If you aren't skating with confidence, you can't automatically pull it out of the air.

Barring injury, he'll probably be back, although his RV-mate, Daron Rahlves is retiring and really did underperform.

Tennis Fool
Feb 21st, 2006, 12:57 AM
The American media has yet to learn that they contribute a great deal to the crash of many of their athletes with their constant overhyping.
I wonder if the typical coach potato would watch without any stars? Once Kwan dropped out, many eyeballs tuned out, it seems.

A few tennis players come to mind. When you heap so much expectation on a person you can do them more harm than good. They are only human beings and not everyone can handle that kind of pressure. It's really a pity because sometimes you want to see them fail just for all the media attention they get.
I admit that Bode did contribute to this by putting out a book, signing a multimillion deal with Nike, going on 60 minutes, etc. As opposed to say, Apolo, who became a hermit that last few years.

Tennis Fool
Feb 21st, 2006, 12:58 AM
Bode 0 in 4, with just the slalom remaining...his weakest event.
That's the one where he'll win gold :p

tenn_ace
Feb 21st, 2006, 01:45 AM
In another thread I have predcited basically he wouldn't get a medal. I still stand by my prediction. Olympic (winning medals) have been over for him back then.

Tennis Fool
Feb 21st, 2006, 01:52 AM
In another thread I have predcited basically he wouldn't get a medal. I still stand by my prediction. Olympic (winning medals) have been over for him back then.
Why did you predict he wouldn't win? Just curious.

I just saw both races. It wasn't a bad race for him, although that huffing and puffing at the end tells me maybe he's not in the best shape...

If he stays with skiing for another 4 years, he might still come back. Look at the Herminator, he couldn't ski at SLC because of injury.

tenn_ace
Feb 21st, 2006, 02:11 AM
Why did you predict he wouldn't win? Just curious.

I just saw both races. It wasn't a bad race for him, although that huffing and puffing at the end tells me maybe he's not in the best shape...

If he stays with skiing for another 4 years, he might still come back. Look at the Herminator, he couldn't ski at SLC because of injury.

Actually I predicted it after the second event. Why? Big mouths rarely follow up with action - they usually don't walk the walk

Will he ever win a medal? Probably yes. He IS very talented, but he needs to change some things around

Tennis Fool
Feb 21st, 2006, 02:19 AM
Actually I predicted it after the second event. Why? Big mouths rarely follow up with action - they usually don't walk the walk

Will he ever win a medal? Probably yes. He IS very talented, but he needs to change some things around
Actually he is already a two-time Silver medalist from Salt Lake City. It's true cockiness can get in the way--unless you're John McEnroe.

tenn_ace
Feb 21st, 2006, 02:22 AM
Actually he is already a two-time Silver medalist from Salt Lake City. It's true cockiness can get in the way--unless you're John McEnroe.

I meant win a medal again...

We are on the same page :wavey:

Tennis Fool
Feb 25th, 2006, 11:44 PM
"I partied on an Olympic level." -- Bode Miller

So, Bode was 0-5. How do you feel about it?

Scotso
Feb 26th, 2006, 02:41 AM
He says he rocked the Olympics. :lol:

Biggest. Loser. Ever.

tenn_ace
Feb 26th, 2006, 03:32 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/templates/brands/chronicle/images/chronicle_logo.gif (http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/)

http://www.sfgate.com/templates/columnists/knapp/bylinelogo.gifGwen Knapp

BODE MILLER: He's the biggest bust in Olympic history

Sestriere, Italy -- Bode Miller got it right a long time ago. He said he might not come to these Olympics, and he never really did.

The phrases Miller heard most in the Turin Games were "Did Not Finish'' and whatever means "last call'' in Italian.

He skidded to the side of the slalom course Saturday after straddling an early gate in his first run, and his Alpine misadventure was over. Miller completed just two of his five races here, taking a fifth place and a sixth.

The messy snow on the slalom course upended a lot of good skiers, but Miller looked sloppy and uncertain on the first inch out of the starting gate. He followed a route off the hill that allowed him to avoid reporters at the bottom, but an Associated Press reporter eventually found him and then filed an account loaded with obnoxious, defensive bunk.

"I just did it my way. I'm not a martyr, and I'm not a do-gooder. I just want to go out and rock. And man, I rocked here,'' Miller was quoted by Jim Litke as saying. "... It's been an awesome two weeks. I got to party and socialize at an Olympic level."

How would he know? Were there judges present?

Bode Miller hasn't been a genuine Olympian since Salt Lake City, where he won two silver medals and finished a grand 25th place in the slalom, 11 seconds off the lead. Miller, close to the lead after his first run, missed a gate on the second, destroying his chance for the win.

But Miller didn't leave the mountain. He hiked back uphill so that he could make the gate, out of respect for the Olympic experience. He wanted every bit of it.

Where is that man now? What happened to the innovative athlete whose idea of rebellion was designing his own exercise equipment?

That Bode Miller understood what was expected of him: effort and passion first, speed and medals a distant second. This Bode Miller doesn't understand anything.

He is old enough to remember that people rooted harder for Dan Jansen every time he fell on the speedskating oval. They felt his pain.

"Look at what happened to (Daron) Rahlves,'' Miller told the AP. "He was holed up in his RV, he's probably the fittest guy out here and he made a point of talking about how important the Olympics were to him. And then look -- a little bad luck and he's got nothing to show for the whole thing.''

Well, Rahlves might have this: the knowledge that he committed himself completely to an opportunity that very few people will ever have. The Bode Miller of 2002 would see that. The 2006 model is too afraid to admit what he wants. He didn't want to be the face of the Games, but he put his mug on the cover of countless magazines, and "60 Minutes'' didn't have to kidnap him for the infamous interview in which he admitted to skiing while intoxicated.

He kept saying he loves his sport, yet he produced roughly the same number of warm smiles as gold medals.

He didn't even look particularly happy when he was kissing a Playboy playmate. A Reuters photograph captured that moment and another of the two together, Miller with his middle finger in the air.

He sees the media, in cahoots with his skiing federation, as the source of the five-medal hype that preceded his appearance at the Games. That might explain the middle finger.

"The expectations were other people's," the biggest bust in U.S. Olympic history said. "I'm comfortable with what I've accomplished, including at the Olympics. I came in here to race as hard as I could. That was my obligation to myself."

So it's his talent to squander, and no one else gets a vote. But Miller might want to take note of the effect his antics have on his teammates. Both Ted Ligety, the gold medalist in the combined event, and James Cochran defended him to reporters gathered at the bottom of the course.

"The most crazy things he says are usually dead-on,'' Cochran said.

Ligety, who was disqualified in the slalom, pointed out that it was Miller's worst event. "It's in the other events, I think he felt the pressure,'' Ligety said.

When someone asked whether he was tired of questions about Bode, Ligety said amiably: "A little bit. ... I think I've gotten to the point where I shouldn't be having to talk about Bode."

But even as he was escaping the race course, Miller remained omnipresent. A shop in the Sestriere plaza sold Bode Miller T-shirts for 30 euros (36 dollars) each. They were nearly gone. A saleswoman, helpfully speaking in English, said she originally had two models in stock. "But now, I finish,'' she said. The T-shirts must have been like the Bode Miller of 2002.

Tennis Fool
Feb 26th, 2006, 03:41 AM
[QUOTE=tenn_ace]http://www.sfgate.com/templates/brands/chronicle/images/chronicle_logo.gif (http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/)

http://www.sfgate.com/templates/columnists/knapp/bylinelogo.gifGwen Knapp

BODE MILLER: He's the biggest bust in Olympic history

I think he has problems living up to expectations, like a certain tall Russian on the ATP tour. Some people thrive in the hype. Others don't.

tenn_ace
Feb 26th, 2006, 03:45 AM
[QUOTE=tenn_ace]http://www.sfgate.com/templates/brands/chronicle/images/chronicle_logo.gif (http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/)

I think he has problems living up to expectations, like a certain tall Russian on the ATP tour. Some people thrive in the hype. Others don't.

certain tall Russian left his partying in the past (couple of year ago), but then he got injured last year... :sad:

canuckfan
Feb 26th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Bode just about commited marketing suicide the last few months with his ĞI'm too cool to careğ attitude. Wich company would sponsor an athlete who keep talking about how good the beer was in Sestriere between his races. Yeah it's a very good role model for the children. And now he can't get of it so he continues with stupid quotes after stupid quotes. Today he said that this year he didn't want to win the overall world cup title so he didn't prepare to do so. It's just plain stupid, but it's pure bullshit. He is not having a good season so he has to find excuses and he cannot find anything intelligent.

I actually think he cares a lot about all of this, and he's probably crying right now in his RV thinking about how he totally blew it and how his life has gone downhill in the last few weeks.

Tennis Fool
Feb 26th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Bode just about commited marketing suicide the last few months with his ĞI'm too cool to careğ attitude. Wich company would sponsor an athlete who keep talking about how good the beer was in Sestriere between his races. Yeah it's a very good role model for the children. And now he can't get of it so he continues with stupid quotes after stupid quotes. Today he said that this year he didn't want to win the overall world cup title so he didn't prepare to do so. It's just plain stupid, but it's pure bullshit. He is not having a good season so he has to find excuses and he cannot find anything intelligent.

I actually think he cares a lot about all of this, and he's probably crying right now in his RV thinking about how he totally blew it and how his life has gone downhill in the last few weeks.
Well. There is always the Canuck Games :shrug:

VeeDaQueen
Feb 26th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Did he even practice at all before coming to the Olympics? He sucked ass.

Tennis Fool
Feb 26th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Did he even practice at all before coming to the Olympics? He sucked ass.
Bode was the 2005 World Cup Champion (think Alpine #1) coming into the Games, but he didn't do anything this season so, as another skiier wrote, "he got out of it what he put into it." He was 20 pounds overweight from lack of training and lacked motivation. Reason why he did so well in SLC (he was the Ted Ligety of those Games) was becuase he put in the work.

Well. I still like Bode (have since SLC). He is who he is.

Ben Raich of Austria (who started off bad but then won 2 Golds) will be crowned 2006 World Cup Champ next month, as the season comes to an end.