PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol likely involved in Cheney shooting

drake3781
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:05 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/160212;_ylt=AlT3N5dJFNmQ2JO1PuGSEJIDW7oF;_ylu=X3oD MTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Cheney, "A Beer or Two," and a Gun

John Nichols
43 minutes ago

The Nation -- Vice President Dick Cheney, who was forced to leave Yale University because his penchant for late-night beer drinking exceeded his devotion to his studies, and who is one of the small number of Americans who can count two drunk driving busts on his driving record, may have been doing more than hunting quail on the day that he shot a Texas lawyer in the face.

Katherine Armstrong, the wealthy Republican lobbyist who is a member member of the politically-connected family that owns the ranch where Cheney blasted his hunting partner, acknowledged to a reporter for MSNBC that alcohol may have been served at a picnic which was served Saturday afternoon on the dude ranch where Cheney shot Harry Whittington.

According to an MSNBC report that appeared briefly Tuesday on the network's website, Armstrong peddled the line that she did not believe that alcohol played a part in the shooting accident. But, she admitted, "There may be a beer or two in there, but remember not everyone in the party was shooting."

The MSNBC story, which appeared only briefly before the website was scrubbed for reasons not yet explained, has been kept alive by the able web investigators at www.rawstory.com and other progressive blogs. And so it should be, as the prospect that alcohol may have been involved in the Texas incident takes the story in a whole new direction.

By any reasonable measure, Armstrong's attempt to downplay the presence of "a beer or two" raises more questions than it answers about an incident involving a vice president who, like George W. Bush, was a heavy drinker in his youth, but who, unlike Bush, never swore off the bottle.

As with her over-the-top efforts to blame Whittington, the victim, for getting in the way of Cheney's birdshot blast, Armstrong's line on liquor smells a little more like an attempt to cover for the vice president than full disclosure.

This is where the hunting accident "incident" becomes a serious matter. The role played by the Secret Service in preventing questioning of Cheney on the evening of the shooting becomes takes on new significance. If Cheney was in any way impaired at the time of the shooting, it was certainly to the vice president's advantage put off the official investigation until the next morning.

Cheney may be able to say, unequivocally, that he was not in an impaired condition when he shot Whittington. But he does now need to start speaking to this precise issue and to all of the other questions that have been raised -- and, no, it is not enough for the vice president to take a few softballs on Fox News, the administration's house network, as the White House crisis management team arranged for him to do at 2 p.m. ET Wednesday.

When legitimate questions arise regarding the role that the Secret Service might have played in undermining the investigation of a shooting in order to protect the vice president from embarrassment, and possible legal charges, those issues have to be addressed fully and completely. And they must be addressed in a setting where reporters are able to press the notoriously cagey Cheney to actually answer all of the questions that are asked.

Up to now, the whole "hunting-accident" controversy has been little more than a diversion from more serious matters involving Cheney -- not least among these, the investigation into whether the vice president authorized the release of classified information as part of a scheme to discredit critics of the administration's rush to war. But if Cheney used his Secret Service unit to prevent a necessary and proper official inquiry at a time when it might have uncovered relevant information regarding his condition when he shot a man, then the vice president has abused his office in a most serious manner.

The prospect that such an abuse occurred requires Cheney and any White House aides who were involved in "managing" the story -- put Karl Rove at the top of this list -- to stop stonewalling and provide a detailed explanation of their actions in the hours that followed the shooting incident. This is certainly not the only issue on which the vice president needs to come clean, but it is no longer a joking matter -- or, more precisely, it is no longer merely a joking matter.

AjdeNate!
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Impeach.

Infiniti2001
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:10 PM
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/3928/getattachmentaspx5os.gif

Helen Lawson
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I'm far from a Cheney fan, but this is such a bunch of bullshit. Who cares! People get shot in hunting accidents all the time. And yes, rich people drink beer and hunt. What's the big fucking deal? He didn't shoot someone on Capital Hill. This was a hunting accident among acquaintences, happens every day.

Rollo
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I'm far from a Cheney fan, but this is such a bunch of bullshit. Who cares! People get shot in hunting accidents all the time. And yes, rich people drink beer and hunt. What's the big fucking deal? He didn't shoot someone on Capital Hill. This was a hunting accident among acquaintences, happens every day.

:lol: at you Helen. Just don't take any pot shots after your morning martini dear.
You might hit the cat again instead of husband #4.

You can bet your britches Bush won't go a huntin with Dick "Whoops I Hit the Wrong Thing" Cheney. It's the only way a good ole country boy from Wyoming could become the POTUS.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:23 PM
;)

Helen Lawson
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:27 PM
:lol: at you Helen. Just don't take any pot shots after your morning martini dear.
You might hit the cat again instead of husband #4.

You can bet your britches Bush won't go a huntin with Dick "Whoops I Hit the Wrong Thing" Cheney. It's the only way a good ole country boy from Wyoming could become the POTUS.

Hon, I'm a BETTER shot after a few drinks! :D

GrandSlam05
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:32 PM
So. Why can't you get loaded while you hunt? It's a free country.

PaulieM
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:34 PM
wow this just keeps getting worse and worse :speakles:

AjdeNate!
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:55 PM
;)
Overcompensating for something, methinks.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Overcompensating for something, methinks.

:haha:

tennislover
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:59 PM

that's my point of view as well.....

tennislover
Feb 15th, 2006, 07:01 PM
actually that's not good for cheney public image.......

SelesFan70
Feb 15th, 2006, 07:04 PM

I'm sure Ted Kennedy won't say A WORD about being drunk and accidentally shooting driving and killing a passenger in a car. :rolleyes:

Helen Lawson
Feb 15th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I do have a confession that some may find shocking. I find Dick Cheney kind of on the sexy side, I mean, not Barney Frank sexy, but do-able. Very do-able. I'm not sure if it's those sexy glasses or the near bald head. There's something about his lips that are very sensual, also.

SelesFan70
Feb 15th, 2006, 07:22 PM
I do have a confession that some may find shocking. I find Dick Cheney kind of on the sexy side, I mean, not Barney Frank sexy, but do-able. Very do-able. I'm not sure if it's those sexy glasses or the near bald head. There's something about his lips that are very sensual, also.

It's because he's a "man's man", Hel. Only the Maureen Dowd types like their men to be metrosexuals.

Helen Lawson
Feb 15th, 2006, 08:40 PM
It's because he's a "man's man", Hel. Only the Maureen Dowd types like their men to be metrosexuals.

That's true, though Bush is a man's man, and though I wouldn't push him out of bed, he's never been the star of any noctural emission either.

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I'm sure Ted Kennedy won't say A WORD about being drunk and accidentally shooting driving and killing a passenger in a car. :rolleyes:
And Teddy paid for it in terms of not being able to seek the (post-Watergate, with a hyper-critical electorate) nomination in '76, which probably would have put him in the White House. How's Deadeye Dick gonna pay, by sacrificing a young American in Iraq? (Oh wait, he's doing that already). :ras:

RVD
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:55 PM
And Teddy paid for it in terms of not being able to seek the (post-Watergate, with a hyper-critical electorate) nomination in '76, which probably would have put him in the White House. How's Deadeye Dick gonna pay, by sacrificing a young American in Iraq? (Oh wait, he's doing that already). :ras::haha: :worship:

I no longer question how Bush and Cheney could possibly win an election, much less, win re-election, or get a pass on constantly lying to the public.
When you have people calling these evil ugly s.o.b.'s sexy...
Good lawd! :haha:
Helen, I luz you girl, but I'm confiscating the meds. ;)

Helen Lawson
Feb 15th, 2006, 10:00 PM
:haha: :worship:

I no longer question how Bush and Cheney could possibly win an election, much less, win re-election, or get a pass on constantly lying to the public.
When you have people calling these evil ugly s.o.b.'s sexy...
Good lawd! :haha:
Helen, I luz you girl, but I'm confiscating the meds. ;)

I didn't say I voted for him! ;) I only made that mistake once.

I think it's pretty hard not to admit that W is physically sexier than John Kerry.

Scotso
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:48 AM
People who have been caught drunk driving should not be Vice President. Give me a fucking break.

Drunk drivers are the scum of the earth.

drake3781
Feb 16th, 2006, 03:33 AM
People who have been caught drunk driving should not be Vice President. Give me a fucking break.

Drunk drivers are the scum of the earth.

You do know that the PRESIDENT has a DUI also, right?

GrandSlam05
Feb 16th, 2006, 03:37 AM
You do know that the PRESIDENT has a DUI also, right?
Definitely NOT defending Shrub here, but part of it depends on how old you were. I mean, if someone got a DUI when they were 20, it doesn't say much about what kind of person they are when they're 50. In his case there's probably not much difference.

Pheobo
Feb 16th, 2006, 03:44 AM
How do you mistake a person for a bird? Sure, sure, is buddy was in Dick's shooting area or something but still. You don't shoot if someone's in front of you.

Why would you kill a quail? They're so pretty...

GrandSlam05
Feb 16th, 2006, 03:50 AM
How do you mistake a person for a bird? Sure, sure, is buddy was in Dick's shooting area or something but still. You don't shoot if someone's in front of you.

Why would you kill a quail? They're so pretty...
He was probably tracking the bird with his eyes while swinging his gun and fired before he noticed the guy in his line of sight.

RunDown
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:02 AM

I'm sure the First Lady won't be commenting either :rolleyes: :

Definitely NOT defending Shrub here, but part of it depends on how old you were. I mean, if someone got a DUI when they were 20, it doesn't say much about what kind of person they are when they're 50. In his case there's probably not much difference.

Cheney had 2 DWIs in his 20s, and Bush got his DWI at 30. But to Bush's credit, he was still a drunk until he was 40, so that can't be held against him. :tape:

Scotso
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:38 AM
They were both losers then and they're both losers now.

Scotso
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:39 AM
It just goes to show that all you need to be successful is a rich daddy.

Infiniti2001
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:42 AM

Why didn't Cheney go to the hospital? :shrug: You just accidentally shot your friend, wouldn't you tag along to the hospital to make sure that everything would be be fine?? Instead to goes back to the ranch to have dinner :rolleyes: --- what ever happened to the hospital cafeteria or vending machines?? :lol: I'm thinking the sucker avoided the hospital, because he did have alcohol on his breath :o same scenario with Kennedy if you asked me :rolleyes:

kiwifan
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:16 AM
I like Cheney.

The whole thing is much ado about...

...blah blah blah. ;)

Infiniti2001
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:30 AM
I like Cheney.

The whole thing is much ado about...

...blah blah blah. ;)

dude is apparently doing better, but what if he takes a turn for the worse considering he stilll has a pellet in his chest? :shrug:

kiwifan
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:55 AM
dude is apparently doing better, but what if he takes a turn for the worse considering he stilll has a pellet in his chest? :shrug:

Don't think it will rise to the level of Manslaughter/Negligent Homicide.

It was an accident. If you're hunting and you think you're shooting a bird and you're wrong...

...you've made a major and grave mistake but accidents happen. :tape:

Solitaire
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:59 AM
His actions were very unchristian and he should be burned at the stake! :devil:

drake3781
Feb 16th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Don't think it will rise to the level of Manslaughter/Negligent Homicide.

It was an accident. If you're hunting and you think you're shooting a bird and you're wrong...

...you've made a major and grave mistake but accidents happen. :tape:

Cheney Could Face Charges in Shooting

If Victim of Accidental Shooting Dies, Cheney Could Face Negligent Homicide Charges

By MATT CURRY

DALLAS Feb 15, 2006 (AP) If the man wounded by Dick Cheney dies, the vice president could in theory at least face criminal charges, even though the shooting was an accident.

Dallas defense attorney David Finn, who has been a state and a federal prosecutor, said Wednesday that a Texas grand jury could bring a charge of criminally negligent homicide if there is evidence the vice president knew or should have known "there was a substantial or unjustifiable risk that his actions would result in him shooting a fellow hunter."

"The risk must be of such a nature and degree that it got to be pretty outrageous that a reasonable person would have to say, `I am not pulling the trigger because this other guy might be in front of me,'" Finn said.

The charge carries up to two years behind bars, but with no previous felonies Cheney would be eligible for probation, the former prosecutor said.

article continues at this link:
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=1623620

kiwifan
Feb 16th, 2006, 07:16 AM

If Victim of Accidental Shooting Dies, Cheney Could Face Negligent Homicide Charges

By MATT CURRY

DALLAS Feb 15, 2006 (AP) If the man wounded by Dick Cheney dies, the vice president could in theory at least face criminal charges, even though the shooting was an accident.

Dallas defense attorney David Finn, who has been a state and a federal prosecutor, said Wednesday that a Texas grand jury could bring a charge of criminally negligent homicide if there is evidence the vice president knew or should have known "there was a substantial or unjustifiable risk that his actions would result in him shooting a fellow hunter."

"The risk must be of such a nature and degree that it got to be pretty outrageous that a reasonable person would have to say, `I am not pulling the trigger because this other guy might be in front of me,'" Finn said.

The charge carries up to two years behind bars, but with no previous felonies Cheney would be eligible for probation, the former prosecutor said.

Me is lawyer. :devil: :p :devil:

Me stands by prior post based on highlighted word above...:smoke:

gentenaire
Feb 16th, 2006, 07:54 AM
I'm with Helen Lawson on this, I don't like the guy, but accidents happen....

(I do think shooting someone is far worse than getting a blow job)

Lord Nelson
Feb 16th, 2006, 01:03 PM

I agree with you that is why when I get a sexy secretary one of her criteria will be to give me a blow job. Thanks for undersanding the desires of men. :p

SelesFan70
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:39 PM

By MATT CURRY

The man could die 5 years from now and the kookie left wing in this country (and international Bush/Cheney haters) will call for Cheney to be charged with manslaughter. :rolleyes:

drake3781
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:02 PM
The man could die 5 years from now and the kookie left wing in this country (and international Bush/Cheney haters) will call for Cheney to be charged with manslaughter. :rolleyes:

That's ridiculous and you are the "kookie" one, and I roll my eyes at you for saying it.

Kunal
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:18 PM
what a freggin idiot

Kunal
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:21 PM
to this he is at the echelons of power....jeez

firehorse
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:55 PM

Yeah..after you have your bunch of martini...;) Dcik Cheney looks much better than Cruise:lol:

firehorse
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:58 PM

Someone got SHOT is hurt.:(
Someone got Blow Job is so gooood:lick: