PDA

View Full Version : Ask Hotduncz_18 any questions about hearing impaired!

Brett.
Feb 15th, 2006, 07:01 AM
As if you want to get know about me - dont be shy!
I am hearing impaired (but i have a cochlear implant) but I can speak very good and is currently learning Australian Sign Language (30% fluent) I'm pretty bad at it!

Any questions or suggestions as you want to ask, you know (How things work with their hearing, why did they get them, how come they were born deaf, how long did an operation takes for cochlear implant, or maybe why they can't speak at all or about myself's life being hearing impaired, etc)

I will be happy to answer it for you!

Andy.
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Wow thats awesome that your willing to talk about it and help others understand. I will have to think of some questions.

JuchuKai
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:40 AM
hi

I have a cousin who is hearing impaired since birth. There were apparantly ways to operate it back then, but it said his chances of gaining full hearing ability or losing all ability to hear were 50/50. So his parents didn't agree to the operation. I guess today it's probably more likely to repair it successfully but it didn't seem to be that well developed when he was born.
So anyway, he learned speaking better by the time and today he speaks really good. I mean I understand him perfectly because I'm used to his situation but sometimes it's a bit hard if he talks to strangers as they don't expect it.

You said you're learning Australian sign language. Id like to know if there are differences in sign language among different countries. I mean, I thought everybody in the world could use the same signs but since you mentioned Australian sign language, there seem to be differences. Tell me more..

Andy.
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:52 AM
\You said you're learning Australian sign language. Id like to know if there are differences in sign language among different countries. I mean, I thought everybody in the world could use the same signs but since you mentioned Australian sign language, there seem to be differences. Tell me more..

Yeah i had no idea either i thought sign language was universal.

creep
Feb 15th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I know two people who are deaf and they got married last year.:) Philip and Rosie, they lived five doors down from me, but they moved away.

Mattographer
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Bugger off! I'm no longer only deaf poster on this board! :ras: :lol: May I ask how old are you and whereabouts you live?

Anyway, no offence but I'm against cochlear implants for some reason. I do respect those people whom decided to get it IF they still able to hear some and can speak well. As for those people I don't respect whom birth deaf and have no sound experience or speak at all and even some parents want to have operation for their children. I mean, I want to see them to grow up and make a choice what they want instead of their parents' decision.

Because I met the people who birth deaf with cochlear implants in later ages like age of eight or up, that is it, and ALMOST all of them can't even tried speak or to understand the sounds around them. I know one of deaf friends just had operation last week and that take me surprised. I asked him why and he wants doing it so he can get a hearing girlfriend. That's the most ridiculous ever I've heard! I'll have some laugh at him in ten years time as he will realise it's not work.

Deaf people can get a hearing girlfriend or boyfriend without cochlear implants. I find it really sad because deaf culture is losing because of cochlear implants. It tried to destroy our language and our culture as if the Nazi group killed them all.

Mattographer
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:53 AM
hi

I have a cousin who is hearing impaired since birth. There were apparantly ways to operate it back then, but it said his chances of gaining full hearing ability or losing all ability to hear were 50/50. So his parents didn't agree to the operation. I guess today it's probably more likely to repair it successfully but it didn't seem to be that well developed when he was born.
So anyway, he learned speaking better by the time and today he speaks really good. I mean I understand him perfectly because I'm used to his situation but sometimes it's a bit hard if he talks to strangers as they don't expect it.

You said you're learning Australian sign language. Id like to know if there are differences in sign language among different countries. I mean, I thought everybody in the world could use the same signs but since you mentioned Australian sign language, there seem to be differences. Tell me more..
As you mentioned about sign language in different countries, that's typically hearing people thought the entire world are same sign language! :p Why can't all the world have same spoken language? ;)

Auslan or best known as Australian Sign Language influenced by BSL (British Sign Language) and both are very similar but only around 10% difference. As for ASL (American Sign Language), it's very big different to Auslan and BSL like 90% difference! :p

I met lots of deaf people from around the world in Melbourne last year for Deaflympics and it was fabulous time! Many different languages and it was great challenge to communicate with them. It was fun time with them. Most of them understand ASL very well so we use ASL instead! :lol:

Brett.
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Bugger off! I'm no longer only deaf poster on this board! :ras: :lol: May I ask how old are you and whereabouts you live?

Anyway, no offence but I'm against cochlear implants for some reason. I do respect those people whom decided to get it IF they still able to hear some and can speak well. As for those people I don't respect whom birth deaf and have no sound experience or speak at all and even some parents want to have operation for their children. I mean, I want to see them to grow up and make a choice what they want instead of their parents' decision.

Because I met the people who birth deaf with cochlear implants in later ages like age of eight or up, that is it, and ALMOST all of them can't even tried speak or to understand the sounds around them. I know one of deaf friends just had operation last week and that take me surprised. I asked him why and he wants doing it so he can get a hearing girlfriend. That's the most ridiculous ever I've heard! I'll have some laugh at him in ten years time as he will realise it's not work.

Deaf people can get a hearing girlfriend or boyfriend without cochlear implants. I find it really sad because deaf culture is losing because of cochlear implants. It tried to destroy our language and our culture as if the Nazi group killed them all.

Hey Alex, I am 19 years old and living Outer East of Melbourne! I still respect for your opinions though but there is alots of parents make so many silly decisions that make their own child for not getting a cochlear implant and making them not to speak! There is also another or two reasons which i can't really explain!

There are so many good advantages for me being hearing impaired person! Because i could able to talk and hear very well much like all the hearing people are! It is because my parents made their own decision for me get a Cochlear Implant, also I was the youngest patient in this country at aged 2 years and 2 months (but not anymore now)! If you get your Cochlear Implant at the very late stage (around 10 to 15 years old), they cannot talk pretty much at all! I was very lucky to get one!

Fortunately, to tell you the truth, I went to normal school like you do and there were 65 students who are very much similar to me! This school where i went to aren't allowed to have any deaf student who cannot able to communicate!

Deaf Culture are very much understanding for nearly everybody in Victoria (to be honest) because in Melbourne was named as the best city in the world for deaf people to hear and speak!
I don't really give a shit what all the Nazis (or the Skinheads) think about all the deaf people because they are just self-righteous dickhead with no respect for anyone's disability. Hearing Impaired people are nothing compare to diability at all!

I am not sure if this make sense to you, mate! Let me know! ;)

Brett.
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:25 PM
As you mentioned about sign language in different countries, that's typically hearing people thought the entire world are same sign language! :p Why can't all the world have same spoken language? ;)

Auslan or best known as Australian Sign Language influenced by BSL (British Sign Language) and both are very similar but only around 10% difference. As for ASL (American Sign Language), it's very big different to Auslan and BSL like 90% difference! :p

I met lots of deaf people from around the world in Melbourne last year for Deaflympics and it was fabulous time! Many different languages and it was great challenge to communicate with them. It was fun time with them. Most of them understand ASL very well so we use ASL instead! :lol:

Yeh I did join the Deaflympics Basketball team for Australia and it was a great experience for me! I had a huge fight with an Ukrainian player during in the match!

Apparently, I don't think thats correct about what you're saying because in every state of Australia are all different but 15% are similar! So i am pretty sure its around 10% or less for BSL and ASL thats have similar to Auslan! (trust me) :lol: Its pretty much unfair!

A reason I want to do Auslan is because I want to get an experience to meet deaf people in this country than I usually have with hearing friends from my normal school!

Mattographer
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:36 PM
That's interesting because I know lots of deaf people included people from overseas don't like Melbourne! ;) I find the city was the most boring city ever I've been to! :o :lol: I like here in Sydney because the deaf community are the best of all around this country.

Anyway, do you really think parents feel regret for their children don't getting a cochlear implant? :confused: Explain please. I birth deaf and the doctor suggested I could get a cochlear implant but my mother against it. I'm glad she made the right decision because I'm proud of my identity. I never had a problem being deaf, I have some friends who are hearing and some of them I teach for sign language. I did HSC and attended a public school with mainstream classes as well an interpreter provided. I pass all subjects in HSC exams. Those hearing students were cool with me and friendly.

Brett.
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:37 PM
hi

How old is he and where does he lives in?
Absolutely, there are so much differences in sign language among many different countries and also any states of Australia too. I kinda of dislike it because I cannot speak with them pretty much the same sign language if i am oversea. That's wat i was wishing for in the future, Its never gonna happen! :sad: :sad:

There are few words that i know that are very similar between Australian and American!

Brett.
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Love to hear more stuffs because I am going to bed now - its 12:40am

Mattographer
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Yeh I did join the Deaflympics Basketball team for Australia and it was a great experience for me! I had a huge fight with an Ukrainian player during in the match!

Apparently, I don't think thats correct about what you're saying because in every state of Australia are all different but 15% are similar! So i am pretty sure its around 10% or less for BSL and ASL thats have similar to Auslan! (trust me) :lol: Its pretty much unfair!

A reason I want to do Auslan is because I want to get an experience to meet deaf people in this country than I usually have with hearing friends from my normal school!
What are you talking about? :retard: All states are same sign languages except maybe 5% difference. Trust me! I've been to Victoria and Queensland myself :p And you got totally wrong about similar between ASL and BSL! :o Have you actually talk to the people from America or Great Britain? :p

gsm
Feb 15th, 2006, 01:09 PM
hey guys, have enjoyed going over your posts and thought i might share something relevent with you.

i watch a lot of doco's and usualy dont get very emotional about the subjects.

but a doco i saw a little while ago about a women who got a cochlear implant in her early 20's moved me deeply.

it wasnt easy to see her try and talk to her child, she was trying very hard and not having a great amount of success, but she was a strong person and seemed to not get too put off by the huge challenge.

the doco only followed her for about six months after getting the implant so i dont know how she ended up.

dont know why i felt so sad for her because she was so positive. :confused:

Brett.
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Are you saying that a mother that you know who have a cochlear implant is having problem making conversation with her hearing daughter?

I have a teacher who is deaf along with her husband is deaf too but they cannot speak, their children are hearing. They are very confident for doing signing and speaking at the same time! They are only 3 and other one is only 5.

I don't think its sad for her if she can't speak unless she got many friends to do sign language with! Thats why i'm doing Auslan for because i want to get more friends who are hearing impaired (I have too much friends who are hearing)

DutchieGirl
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:44 AM
That's interesting because I know lots of deaf people included people from overseas don't like Melbourne! ;) I find the city was the most boring city ever I've been to! :o :lol: I like here in Sydney because the deaf community are the best of all around this country.

Anyway, do you really think parents feel regret for their children don't getting a cochlear implant? :confused: Explain please. I birth deaf and the doctor suggested I could get a cochlear implant but my mother against it. I'm glad she made the right decision because I'm proud of my identity. I never had a problem being deaf, I have some friends who are hearing and some of them I teach for sign language. I did HSC and attended a public school with mainstream classes as well an interpreter provided. I pass all subjects in HSC exams. Those hearing students were cool with me and friendly.

:ras:@ you not likin Melbourne! :p

gsm
Feb 16th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Are you saying that a mother that you know who have a cochlear implant is having problem making conversation with her hearing daughter?
no dude, it was a documentry i saw.

the women was in her mid 20's and had an implant, she was finding it very hard to learn sounds for letters/words etc...

she had heaps of support from friends and family and had a very strong motivation, but for some reason i found the whole thing very upsetting, perhaps it was the scenes of her trying to talk to her young child that moved me.

as i said, dont know how she ended up because the doco only showed the 1st 6 months of her implant.

Thats why i'm doing Auslan for because i want to get more friends who are hearing impaired :worship: :worship: :worship:

Sally Struthers
Feb 16th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Ok this may be a dumb question but when you dream or think to yourself are you seeing words or sign language or something? :lol:

CooCooCachoo
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:04 AM
I am partially deaf as well, but fortunately not too bad. I have a hearing device that only amplifies sounds.

I know how much it can suck, so I appreciate your positivist attitude :cool:

DutchieGirl
Feb 16th, 2006, 03:02 AM
I am partially deaf as well, but fortunately not too bad. I have a hearing device that only amplifies sounds.

I know how much it can suck, so I appreciate your positivist attitude :cool:
Hmm I just realised I know quite a few people who have some sort of hearing problems... a few others on here too that I have met.

Mattographer
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Ok this may be a dumb question but when you dream or think to yourself are you seeing words or sign language or something? :lol:
That's OK to ask a question like that, Sally ;) I don't think that's a silly question because I actually thinking with sign language in my mind! :lol:

Mattographer
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:54 AM
And I even have dream with sign language as well! :p

Brett.
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Alex - is that you in your avator?

DutchieGirl
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:20 AM

:haha: No - it's not him! :p

Brett.
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:25 AM
I am not asking you :p!

Mattographer
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Wish it was me but it's Tatum Channing! ;)

Sally Struthers
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:32 AM
That's OK to ask a question like that, Sally ;) I don't think that's a silly question because I actually thinking with sign language in my mind! :lol:

wow that's interesting :cool: Thanks hon! :kiss:

Now do we have any blind people who can tell me what their dreams are like? :lol:

Mattographer
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:36 AM
wow that's interesting :cool: Thanks hon! :kiss:

Now do we have any blind people who can tell me what their dreams are like? :lol:
You can ask Helen Keller that question once you die :p

DutchieGirl
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:40 AM
I am not asking you :p!

So? I know it's not him! :p

PamShriverRockz
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Interesting thread! How easy is sign language to learn? I've been thinking of attempting to learn myself. I reckon everyone should learn a few basics!

Brett.
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Its pretty simple at the start but till the end - its get harder

PamShriverRockz
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Thanks! I'm going to check out some classes.

Mattographer
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Interesting thread! How easy is sign language to learn? I've been thinking of attempting to learn myself. I reckon everyone should learn a few basics!
You always get start to learn sign language is fingerspelling in alphabets ;) I think you should try to give it a go! :D

Mattographer
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:10 AM
It's not that hard to me, anyway :p That's because I'm a natural :angel:

DutchieGirl
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:25 AM
It's not that hard to me, anyway :p That's because I'm a natural :angel:

:haha: I think you had alot more practise, right? :p

Brett.
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Exactly! inkymisafan

Mattographer
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:37 AM
:haha: I think you had alot more practise, right? :p
To honest with you, I never had practise with sign language :shrug: Just simple watch other person's sign language in a conversation or lecture and steal those sign method.

Mattographer
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Itís exactly like hearing people also automatically speak without any practise at all.

DutchieGirl
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:42 AM
To honest with you, I never had practise with sign language :shrug: Just simple watch other person's sign language in a conversation or lecture and steal those sign method.

yeah, so you have been using it since birth (pretty much) - that's what I meant! ;)

Brett.
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Whoohoo my own thread is getting more popular ;)

Mattographer
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:54 AM
yeah, so you have been using it since birth (pretty much) - that's what I meant! ;)
Only maybe first 5 years but that is it :shrug:

Mattographer
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Well, I still steal some sign method for some reason. I like the way they sign for whatever it is just because it looks good or more visual than mine so I steal them to use it ;)

DutchieGirl
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:04 PM
but so you use sign language now right, Matt? And you've been doing it since you were 5 or?

Mattographer
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:09 PM
but so you use sign language now right, Matt? And you've been doing it since you were 5 or?
Yeah and since maybe one or two years old, so?

kabuki
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:17 PM

My bf is a CODA (Child of Deaf Adult) and even he occasionally signs in his sleep. :D

DutchieGirl
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Yeah and since maybe one or two years old, so?

so you use it alot... ;)

and hot duncz doesn't! ;)

Mattographer
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:43 PM
so you use it alot... ;)

and hot duncz doesn't! ;)
I know ;)

I think the title thread need renamed with my name in it! :p :lol:

Brett.
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:36 AM
My bf is a CODA (Child of Deaf Adult) and even he occasionally signs in his sleep. :D

LOL!

DutchieGirl
Feb 17th, 2006, 02:18 AM
I know ;)

:haha: maybe! ;)

Mattographer
Feb 18th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Whoohoo my own thread is getting more popular ;)
I'm sorry but I think you're wrong about that :angel:

Brett.
Feb 18th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Few days ago it was :)

Mattographer
Feb 18th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Few days ago it was :)
Yeah :lol: Do you have MSN? Like to chat with me?

Brett.
Feb 18th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Nope

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I know ;)

Sure, what the thread title should be call then? :p

BUMP! - its had been a long time since a last post! :p

Mattographer
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:05 AM
:rolls:

Mattographer
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Umm, how about "I Hear Your Hands"? :lol:

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Lmao! -i'm serious! :rolleyes:

Mattographer
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Any suggest? ;) "What the Bleep Do We Know About Deaf World?" :p I know it's sucks :lol:

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Lol

Mattographer
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:15 AM
"Ask the marijuana dealer any questions about the deaf world!" :p

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:16 AM
LmAO!

CrossCourt~Rally
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:19 AM
:kiss:

Mattographer
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:20 AM
How about "The deaf Sydneysider guy thinks that deaf Melbournian guy is a moron!" :angel:

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:20 AM
:kiss:

What that kiss for? :kiss:

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:21 AM
How about "The deaf Sydneysider guy thinks that deaf Melbournian guy is a moron!" :angel:

Lmao - you're funny!

Mattographer
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Lmao - you're funny!
Am I? :p

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Am I? :p

I am fucking serious! :p

kittyking
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Oh come on, loosen the flirting AlexSydney :p

Mattographer
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Oh come on, loosen the flirting AlexSydney :p
Me? :tape:

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:29 AM
Grrrrrrrr!!!

Mattographer
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Why not get some suggests yourself? :p

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:36 AM
I can't think of any good thread title! :sad:

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Yay - Dutchie Girl is online and she was awesome on here back in February! ;)

kittyking
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:39 AM
:lol:

Mattographer
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Boo! :p

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Oh come on! :sobbing:

kittyking
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:41 AM
A question for Ask Hotduncz_!8

Are you aware that you spelt your name wrong in the thread title :p

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:44 AM
A question for Ask Hotduncz_!8

Are you aware that you spelt your name wrong in the thread title :p

Well my name was suppose to be Hot_duncz18!

But since September 2005 - i was supposed to create my nick that way but i tried to log in for 4 months (just before Australian Open starts) - i found out in my hotmail inbox and its said with a "!" instead of 1 and i went "Wtf"!!

kittyking
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Well my name was suppose to be Hot_duncz18!

But since September 2005 - i was supposed to create my nick that way but i tried to log in for 4 months (just before Australian Open starts) - i found out in my hotmail inbox and its said with a "!" instead of 1 and i went "Wtf"!!

That explains it then :lol:

So who do you thinks the cutest guy on this forum then

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 02:54 AM
That explains it then :lol:

So who do you thinks the cutest guy on this forum then

LoveFifteen is so HHAAWTTT - Gorgo is Second and Frazier Force is coming third! :D

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Hey - i am heading off now!

Make this thread interesting please :D

Mattographer
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Gorgo is cute? No, he's hot! ;)

Brett.
Dec 14th, 2006, 05:06 AM
I'm back for one hour! Yes i think Gorgo is hot but not cute! :D

!Gio!
Dec 15th, 2006, 02:13 PM
LoveFifteen is so HHAAWTTT - Gorgo is Second and Frazier Force is coming third! :D
;) jaj you know how to make a guy blush. Damn it Lovefifteen is first, I want a recount.:devil:

Gorgo is cute? No, he's hot! ;)
:wavey: Man I really like you guys, you know how to make a guy feel good. Loving all the compliments.

I'm back for one hour! Yes i think Gorgo is hot but not cute! :D :sad:, now you don't think I am cute.