PDA

View Full Version : Is religion a curse?

tennisrox
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:12 AM
It seems to me the whole world is going bloody bonkers in the name of a couple of books. :o
What do you think?Is religion a waste of time?Is it outdated and irrelevant?Is it the root of our problems,or a solution to it?

Almalyk
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:18 AM
At the moment it seems to be the root of all these problems. I'm not religious in the slightest, but I don't have a problem with people who are. But any religious extreme, or total disrespect for another relgion/type of social behaviour, is just a pain in the ass!

Chrissie-fan
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:25 AM
It seems to me the whole world is going bloody bonkers in the name of a couple of books. :o
What do you think?Is religion a waste of time?Is it outdated and irrelevant?Is it the root of our problems,or a solution to it?
There are millions of religious people that are perfectly decent and nice. In fact, some are inspired by their religion to do acts of kindness, and we gotta respect that.

Having said that, look at history and what's happening around the world and the answers to your questions are painfully obvious.

Almalyk
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:28 AM
There are millions of religious people that are perfectly decent and nice. In fact, some are inspired by their religion to do acts of kindness, and we gotta respect that.

Having said that, look at history and what's happening around the world and the answers to your questions are painfully obvious.

Great minds think alike :) :wavey:

dementieva's fan
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Is religion a curse?

In short, yes.

Strangelove
Feb 15th, 2006, 08:08 AM
I'd say any kind of fundamentalism is the real curse...
As long as people respect each other's beliefs, and don't stare themselves blind on their own, it's all good..........

But then again, most fundamentalism finds its roots in some form of religion, so....I'd still say whe would have been better off without it

PamShriverRockz
Feb 15th, 2006, 08:25 AM
I'm an athiest, but I fully respect anyone's religious beliefs...As Chrissie-Fan said, a lot of people have been inspired to do a lot of good etc. And so many people get benefits and positives out of it, which can ony be good.
But it's when it gets extreme and disrespectful with each other, things start to go pearshaped.
I hate it when pushy Christians shuve their religion in my face - which happens quite a lot. I have no problem with them preaching at all! But what I don't like is being threatened, and being told I am going to hell for not believing. A bloke recently came up to me on the street and started showing me pictures of skulls and he was quite forceful in telling me that I was a bad person etc. :o

What I can never understand is that relgions are often promoting this samaritan idea of forgiveness etc. yet they are often the most unforgiving of the lot :shrug:

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 15th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Yes.

*abby*
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Christianity saved me and brought me out of a really bad place emotionally. and because of my religion i have got so many amazing friends and an amazing boyfriend. it has helped me thru the tought times and made the good ime even more enjoyable. for me it means someone who is always there ready to listen and wanting to help. it gives me a sense of security.
however, i dont agree with the people who stand on the street shouting that your going to hell it makes me cringe. half the time i want to go and tell them to shutup as i seriously doubt that anyone has been brought to Christianity that way!
pamrockz (what is ur name btw lol) i dont agree with the whole pushy evangalism lark. it just alienates people and makes them think that we are all like that. there are not many people who agrre with it either.

Cage
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:41 AM
No offense to anyone but religion is a load of bullshit!! sorry guys bt seriously lol

*abby*
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:42 AM
thanks but no its not

PamShriverRockz
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Christianity saved me and brought me out of a really bad place emotionally. and because of my religion i have got so many amazing friends and an amazing boyfriend. it has helped me thru the tought times and made the good ime even more enjoyable. for me it means someone who is always there ready to listen and wanting to help. it gives me a sense of security.
however, i dont agree with the people who stand on the street shouting that your going to hell it makes me cringe. half the time i want to go and tell them to shutup as i seriously doubt that anyone has been brought to Christianity that way!
pamrockz (what is ur name btw lol) i dont agree with the whole pushy evangalism lark. it just alienates people and makes them think that we are all like that. there are not many people who agrre with it either.

Heh hey Abby, I'm Sian :wavey:
Your case shows how positive religion can be of course, and it's great to hear it has given you so much.

It's just a shame religion seems to cause so many problems globally :sad:

*abby*
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:34 AM
hi sian :wavey:
yeah it is a shame i know but it really is the case that its the minority of people that believe the things that cause wars and stuff. like when george bush says that God told him to go to war. i honestly dont believe that because Christianity really is a relgion of peace.one of its principle teachings is love your neighbours ie DONT GO TO WAR!
in most peoples cases their belief is hate the sin but love the sinner.

-Em-
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:41 AM
what ppl made/make of religion is a curse, not religion itself.

Rollo
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Posted by Pam Shriver Rockz I'm an athiest, but I fully respect anyone's religious beliefs...As Chrissie-Fan said, a lot of people have been inspired to do a lot of good etc. And so many people get benefits and positives out of it, which can ony be good.
But it's when it gets extreme and disrespectful with each other, things start to go pearshaped.
I hate it when pushy Christians shuve their religion in my face - which happens quite a lot. I have no problem with them preaching at all! But what I don't like is being threatened, and being told I am going to hell for not believing.

Here's a comeback for people who tell you you're going to hell. Ask them "Are you going going to be in hell?" When they answer "No" you can say "Thank God (or the devil:devil: ) I'll get some peace then!"

Seriously though, for those of you are anti-religious in sentiment, you're losing. I remember people saying years ago that religion was finished. With Islam gaining every year in Europe (and Europeans not having children) it looks more likely that old style European godlessness is in terminal decline.

creep
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I went to Sunday school and it never effected me.

Solitaire
Feb 15th, 2006, 01:02 PM
IMO it's caused more harm then good through out history. Religion is a social control created by man. Flawed and broken just like everything else. In a pure state religion can be a beautiful thing but it is too often twisted by power hungry individuals. I see nothing wrong with people who are religious. The problem starts when people justify their actions by saying it's in the name of god. (War, Hate, Murder)

So yes it can be a curse and it is terribly irrelevant to my life. As long as we're still monkeys religion will continue cause pain.

Strangelove
Feb 15th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Seriously though, for those of you are anti-religious in sentiment, you're losing. I remember people saying years ago that religion was finished. With Islam gaining every year in Europe (and Europeans not having children) it looks more likely that old style European godlessness is in terminal decline.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone is saying religion is finished. It would go against all that is going in the world right now to say that religion is finished.

However, I think it does lie at the root of a lot of problems in that same world, and obviously nothing more so than the conflict between west and east. So basically, I think we would be better off without it. But that's just sidestepping all sense of reality. We´re very much stuck with it....and somehow have to deal with that...

Kunal
Feb 15th, 2006, 01:10 PM
unfortunately religion is being used as an excuse for violence....since it is such a sensitive subject. people get really annoyed if something deviant is said about the concerning god.

it reflects so poorly on our society when protest that should be peaceful leads to total anarchy in the system....what with the danish embassies being burnt down....people in pakistan rioting and dying....job loss....Iran cutting of imports from Denmark.

its jus really sad. and i dont know how this issue can be resolved...because everybody needs to be on the same "sane" page

and doing that is next to impossible since different conditions breed different perspectives and different attitudes.

Kart
Feb 15th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Religion is not a curse at all IMHO.

It does amuse me though that a lot of the people suggesting it is are atheists.

SelesFan70
Feb 15th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Agreed! Or should I say, "Amen!" ? :lol:

Gerben
Feb 15th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Can anyone objectively answer such a question? I think not.
If you are an atheist and you feel that most wars are caused by religion, you will probably agree with the question.
But if you are religious, the question is not even relevant. Religion is a part of your life, not something that you do or not. But that's probably something an atheist does not understand.

the bambi
Feb 15th, 2006, 04:05 PM
fvck yes.

azdaja
Feb 15th, 2006, 04:26 PM
in spite of what it says in my sig i don't think religion is a curse or the root of all evil. i simply think it's unnecessary and i think even believers will only seldom act simply because of their religion. the better the life in this world the smaller the need to believe in afterlife.

Gerben
Feb 15th, 2006, 07:56 PM
in spite of what it says in my sig i don't think religion is a curse or the root of all evil. i simply think it's unnecessary and i think even believers will only seldom act simply because of their religion. the better the life in this world the smaller the need to believe in afterlife.If you really think that religion is a way to escape reality, you are completely wrong. Religion is not something you believe in because you hope that when you die things will be better, it is a conviction. Even if we would live in a perfect world, a religious person would have no reason to think that his believe is not necessary anymore.
But non-religious people don't seem to understand that.

azdaja
Feb 15th, 2006, 08:08 PM
If you really think that religion is a way to escape reality, you are completely wrong. Religion is not something you believe in because you hope that when you die things will be better, it is a conviction. Even if we would live in a perfect world, a religious person would have no reason to think that his believe is not necessary anymore.
But non-religious people don't seem to understand that.
i did not say that, i simply think there would be less religious people. religion is a way to escape reality for many but not for all.

AjdeNate!
Feb 15th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. Karl Marx, Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right
German economist & Communist political philosopher (1818 - 1883)

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Few adherents of relgions (or atheism, the "reverse mirror image", which also claims to "know" the answer to things that are unknowable about existence) seem to care that much whether their beliefs are actually true, merely whether they fill the human need to think one knows the answers.

Helen Lawson
Feb 15th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Here's a comeback for people who tell you you're going to hell. Ask them "Are you going going to be in hell?" When they answer "No" you can say "Thank God (or the devil:devil: ) I'll get some peace then!"

That's like when a guy asked Martina Navratilova at a press conference if she was "still gay." She responded, "Are you still the alternative?"

Helen Lawson
Feb 15th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Religion has certainly cost mankind dearly over the years, but there has been some tremendous good as well. This question is like asking if being human is a curse.

Lord Chips
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:17 PM
On a professional point of view, I work for the mental health authorities in the UK and a lot, probably 65% of the patients I meet are religious and religon has an impact in their illness.

Personally, I have had similar problems to Abby, but the difference was before my religon had always been a strong part of my life. When things started to go bad for me, I was working at the time at McDonald's and at the school I was at, the largest Jews only school in Europe, people I didn't know told me my physcological problems were punishment from god for working at a non kosher restaurant.

When things came to a head, I turned my back on religon as I felt it a) caused more problems then it was worth and b) felt that if there was a god then bad things wouldn't happen to good people.

I don't regret my decision. If anything I've felt justified for making it. My mother never did anything to hurt anyone, has been a wonderful mother and yet has been left with an illness that will kill her. Has the same happened to Saddam?

Despite all that I have the upmost respect for anyone who believes in religon, especially those who give their life to it. I only ask, and sadly not everybody does, that people in turn respect my decision, and unlike what one person did, don't try to sue me for not being religious

Kirt12255
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:26 PM
:wavey: Hmmm interesting question.

Like Abby posted, Christianity certainly helped me when I was in a difficult time. I think effectively the issue with Religion is the word itself. It reeks of man-made doctrines. I consider myself beliefist, not religious. Perhaps if we all stopped worrying about what everyone else believed and focused on ourselves, the world would have more people at peace with themselves. The main problem with religion is the whole ideal of "wittnessing", or preaching to people. Prime example is that minister in the states (am sure each country has one) who was going around and picketing gay funerals. I know at my old church, the pastor was giving chocolate crackles to kids who went up and gave their heart to the lord :fiery: I think it is a much better state to be non-religious and tollerant, than someone who thinks they have the right to enforce their beliefs on other people. IMO :wavey:

Almalyk
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:45 PM
what ppl made/make of religion is a curse, not religion itself.

Completely agree!

*JR*
Feb 15th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I know at my old church, the pastor was giving chocolate crackles to kids who went up and gave their heart to the lord :fiery:
This reminds me of something I once saw @ a (non-religious, of course) meeting I attended some years ago in the school part of a Christian Church. On a bulletin board for the students to post things, one had put a sign that said: "I love Jesus because He gives us eternal life".

Regardless of your own beliefs, note the type of indoctrination here. NOT "I love Jesus because He taught us that we should (fill in the blank). "I love Jesus because (the minister said) I'll get a reward for it". nash used to post like that on this board, BTW. (I called him a "gimme Christian"). :lol:

*abby*
Feb 15th, 2006, 10:54 PM
i by no means agree with churches offering incentives for giving ur heart to God. it is a personal choice that you should not be pushed or coerced (sp?) into
a lot of ministers in churches have filling up the church as their main priority and that is when things become too showy and not as they were meant to be.
i dislike pushy Christians because they completely turn people off from the message they are trying to deliver. if people want to listen then they will, if not then dont push it.
lord chips (sorry i dont no ur name) im sorry that u were told that problems were a punishment from God. during my 2 years of depression that it was i believed. noone ever told me that, in fact they told me the opposite. the Bible states that all good things come from God. he doesnt punish people he is a God of love. i know now that my depression was just something i had to go thru and it has made me the person i am today. God never gives us more than we can handle i know that now.

ive been raised in a Christian family all my life and have gone to sunday school and church every sunday. i knew what was right and what was wrong in Gods eyes but at the end of the day it wasnt real to me until i had experienced it myself.
i think one of the major problems with religion is that people just blindly follow it without having experienced it it for themselves and if they had actually really experienced it then they would know what its truly about and we wouldnt have half as much violence in the world

Chris 84
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Religion is only a curse when the whole meaning of it is perverted by extremists. Christians were not supposed to burn each other at the stake and force people to convert to Christianity, and Muslims are not supposed to blow themselves and others up. The religion should not get the blame for this, those who twist the religion should.

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Here's something I've been wanting to get off my chest. :)

I feel concern for people, i.e. I don't want to hurt anyone, not even their feelings. That alone will often make me bite my tongue and not, for example, criticise their religious view of the world or whatever. I also respect people's right to live their own lives - I'm disinclined to interfere in other people's decisions about how they will live, even if I think they are foolish (just as I don't them interfering with my personal decisions).

End of story. The above is the basis for treating people ethically. None of it entails that I have to feel some sort of respect for people's actual beliefs. I respect their right to believe whatever they want. But I am quite entitled to think that their actual beliefs are stupid.

Why is this so hard to understand? Why do people go around seriously expecting that other people will actually respect their beliefs, as opposed to their right to hold them? There's no way I am going to respect beliefs that I think are ill-founded. Nor do I particularly expect people to respect mine. As far as I'm concerned, religious beliefs deserve no respect at all. I may not express my disrespect out of a wish not to hurt people's feelings, but that is a totally different thing.

Martian Willow
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:38 PM
If you have religion you will always have extremism and fundamentalism.

All religionists propogate and perpetuate a body of ideas, and therefore are responsible to some extent if that body of ideas contains justification for the acts of a minority, or is objectionable in some other way. :)

Martian Willow
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Religion is only a curse when the whole meaning of it is perverted by extremists. Christians were not supposed to burn each other at the stake and force people to convert to Christianity, and Muslims are not supposed to blow themselves and others up. The religion should not get the blame for this, those who twist the religion should.

What if the religion contains justification for those acts? :)

Chris 84
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:42 PM
What if the religion contains justification for those acts? :)

Probably most religions do to some degree, its all about interpretation....which is one reason I'm not religious ;)

Martian Willow
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I don't think its always about interpretation. Thats a pathetic and far too common get-out clause. Some religions simply do contain those things, or things that are very easy to interpret that way.

Tennis Fool
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Since there has been humanity there has been religion. What people has never had a religion? You can't erase it. It is part of who we are.

Number19
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:49 PM
the problem is individuals and groups who decide to use "the fear of god" as some kind of rationale to forward their politics to ultimatley gain power.

Religions, not unlike governments, are systems created to wield power and control by using the most human basic fears and intuitions.

The belief in a higher power and/or afterlife is not the problem. We all have an innate intuition and desires and curiosity towards these (except of course atheists who for whatever psychlogical reason choose to ignore them.)

So, religion was created by humans and thusly is as flawed as humans and their insecurities and needs for power and respect and need for divisions so things don't seem so much larger and out of their control.

If each individual kept their spirituality private and the battle of good and evil to themselves.... but then thats the difference; religion, is about groups of people and finding an "us vs. them" scenario with another group to play out the good vs evil instead of keeping it a personal fight within that we all have. Once it's played outside the individual we all lose.

Lord Chips
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:28 AM
lord chips (sorry i dont no ur name) im sorry that u were told that problems were a punishment from God. during my 2 years of depression that it was i believed. noone ever told me that, in fact they told me the opposite. the Bible states that all good things come from God. he doesnt punish people he is a God of love. i know now that my depression was just something i had to go thru and it has made me the person i am today. God never gives us more than we can handle i know that now.I'm David :wavey:

I didn't realise that you were reglious before hand.

I knew right from the moment I was told it was a load of BS. I think the biggest difference between us is the religion. I have always found Judaisum to be about scoring points and that there is so much back stabbing and going behind peoples back etc... Almost like parents pressurise their children into something so that other people in the community won't talk badly about them.

Only two of the religous Jews I am friends with accept my view. I've known them for 18 and 16 years. On the flip side I had a good conversation with a Catholic Priest a while ago at work. At no point did he try to turn me towards Religion and just said all I need to do now is do whatever I can to enjoy my life and let my mum know I'm happy and not to let anything get in the way of that. If I can do it through Religion ok, but if not it doesn't matter.

That is just the attitude my Rabbi should have, but failed to, take up with me.

For me my Religion has presented too many questions and not enough answers. Since I made my decision to turn my back on Religion I've never been happier, despite the occasional knock. To an extent I wish I could have become Religous but nobody seems to see my Religion the way I believe it should be seen. Therefore, the Religion avalible to me is not one I feel is right and I can't see anyway my view will change for as long as things stay the way they currently are.

Kart
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Why is this so hard to understand? Why do people go around seriously expecting that other people will actually respect their beliefs, as opposed to their right to hold them? There's no way I am going to respect beliefs that I think are ill-founded. Nor do I particularly expect people to respect mine. As far as I'm concerned, religious beliefs deserve no respect at all. I may not express my disrespect out of a wish not to hurt people's feelings, but that is a totally different thing.

It's not hard to understand when you write it so eloquently :worship:.

Halardfan
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Scientist Richard Dawkins talks such good sense on this issue...this quote kinds sums up my feelings...

"To fill a world with ... religions of the Abrahamic kind, is like littering the streets with loaded guns. Do not be surprised if they are used."

The quote is taken from a page of his quotes at http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/dawkins.htm

Worth a look. :)

*abby*
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:01 AM
hi david :wavey:
im not sure if i was religious but i was in a religious environment.
2 years ago i had so many questions that i never seemed to get answers to. i struggled to believe in the miracles we were taught about.i still to this day have questions but the difference is now i have got someone i can talk to about it. she used to be my youth leader but she and her husband moved to romania to be missionaries (altho they are back here now following the birth of their first child- alittle boy named Eden he is a such a cutie) anyway i responded well to her because she wasnt your typical Christian. she had been on drugs as a teen and was getting into trouble a lot. i never did that stuff but when i wanted to talk it meant that she wasnt gonna get shocked by what i said. i think its vital that no matter what stage you are at with your religion, you find someone you click with who you can talk to about things when you start to have doubts. tray has done wonders for me so i know it helps.
im at uni now but back at home i have got a great church i love it and i love the people there. however i do sometimes see the sort of point scoring you mentioned. its not right but it is always going to happen as people want to seem like good Christians or whatever.youve just got to remind yourself that its not what its all about.

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:05 AM
Scientist Richard Dawkins talks such good sense on this issue...this quote kinds sums up my feelings...

"To fill a world with ... religions of the Abrahamic kind, is like littering the streets with loaded guns. Do not be surprised if they are used."

The quote is taken from a page of his quotes at http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/dawkins.htm

Richard Dawkins! :D :worship:

~ The Leopard ~
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:05 AM
It's not hard to understand when you write it so eloquently :worship:.

Why, thank you! :o :) :wavey:

Kirt12255
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:16 AM
hi david :wavey:
im not sure if i was religious but i was in a religious environment.
2 years ago i had so many questions that i never seemed to get answers to. i struggled to believe in the miracles we were taught about.i still to this day have questions but the difference is now i have got someone i can talk to about it. she used to be my youth leader but she and her husband moved to romania to be missionaries (altho they are back here now following the birth of their first child- alittle boy named Eden he is a such a cutie) anyway i responded well to her because she wasnt your typical Christian. she had been on drugs as a teen and was getting into trouble a lot. i never did that stuff but when i wanted to talk it meant that she wasnt gonna get shocked by what i said. i think its vital that no matter what stage you are at with your religion, you find someone you click with who you can talk to about things when you start to have doubts. tray has done wonders for me so i know it helps.
im at uni now but back at home i have got a great church i love it and i love the people there. however i do sometimes see the sort of point scoring you mentioned. its not right but it is always going to happen as people want to seem like good Christians or whatever.youve just got to remind yourself that its not what its all about.

:worship: :worship: Same here...I WAS in a religious environment and I moved from it. We are all forgetting that effectively it is our OWN relationship with god that is important, too often we feel like it's a group thing when it was never meant to be IMO.

I don't need a church for prayer, I'm more than happy to help weed their gardens if a friend asks me to however.

I will be the first to admit I am far from the model Christian...I'm gay, I smoke weed, and drink like a fish sometimes....but I'm happy...and I help people at every opportunity. I spend most of my nights at gay clubs outside smoking a joint with people that are down, some near suicidal. It's what I was born to do...yeah shit I'll deal with my vices when the time comes...but anyone who reads this post has to know they have no right to judge me. Nor do I them. That is what "religion" provides us with, the opportunity to segregate. IMO...after a lovely bottle of Shiraz from 2002. ;)

AjdeNate!
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:23 AM
:smoke:

*abby*
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:23 AM
im at uni now and i haven't found a church and i dont go to the Christian Union but i feel better than ever. yeah i go out sometimes and have a drink or two but im not a bad person.i know that i am well on my way to being in the right place with God. its never the same for any two people, its an individual journey.

Kirt12255
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:28 AM
im at uni now and i haven't found a church and i dont go to the Christian Union but i feel better than ever. yeah i go out sometimes and have a drink or two but im not a bad person.i know that i am well on my way to being in the right place with God. its never the same for any two people, its an individual journey.

"Thumbs up emoticon"...Hun it certainly is ;)

Lord Chips
Feb 16th, 2006, 01:30 PM
That hits the nail on the head. Life is to be enjoyed and that is just what I intend to do. If because of that decision I'm a bad person in the eyes of someone who plays an active part in my community because I'd rather spend my Saturdays watching Rugby with friends and have a good time, insted of in Synagouge then that says more about them then me.

Just like me you've found happiness (for you it's Religion, for me it's standing in the freezing cold at various Rugby grounds all over Europe watching Rugby) and thats what counts.

In answer though to the original question, I don't believe Religion is a curse. In many ways it's a good thing, but in time it has been chopped and changed in such a way that people forget the simplicities of it all.

Religion is about having faith in a higher power. How people choose to do that is up to them. At the end of the day there is no difference between Christianity of any type, Judaisum, Islam , Buddisum etc... other then how people of those faiths choose to express their faith.

I like to scream and shout when I go to Rugby matches, but does that make me a better fan then someone who prefers to be a bit more silent? No, because at the end of the day we still support the same team week in, week out. So why should the fact that someone choses to express their faith differently to others, or in my case not at all make them better?

It seems to me too many people now don't see things the way I do and that is to the detriment of the whole world. I know someone who is Muslim who chose to turn her back on Islam as she didn't like the way it had been distorted by extreemists (something EVERY religion has). For this she has been called a trator. Thats simple not right.

At the end of the day we all breath the same air and are all of the same speices. Why do people feel the need to hate others because of what they believe in?

PamShriverRockz
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:27 PM

I like Richard Dawkins a lot :yeah:

Has anyone read Bertrand Russell's "Why I'm Not A Christian" ? Very interesting read.......

PamShriverRockz
Feb 16th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I'm David :wavey:

I didn't realise that you were reglious before hand.

I knew right from the moment I was told it was a load of BS. I think the biggest difference between us is the religion. I have always found Judaisum to be about scoring points and that there is so much back stabbing and going behind peoples back etc... Almost like parents pressurise their children into something so that other people in the community won't talk badly about them.

Only two of the religous Jews I am friends with accept my view. I've known them for 18 and 16 years. On the flip side I had a good conversation with a Catholic Priest a while ago at work. At no point did he try to turn me towards Religion and just said all I need to do now is do whatever I can to enjoy my life and let my mum know I'm happy and not to let anything get in the way of that. If I can do it through Religion ok, but if not it doesn't matter.

That is just the attitude my Rabbi should have, but failed to, take up with me.

For me my Religion has presented too many questions and not enough answers. Since I made my decision to turn my back on Religion I've never been happier, despite the occasional knock. To an extent I wish I could have become Religous but nobody seems to see my Religion the way I believe it should be seen. Therefore, the Religion avalible to me is not one I feel is right and I can't see anyway my view will change for as long as things stay the way they currently are.

David, I'm really pleased you've been a lot happier and I wish you and your mum all the best :kiss:

Lord Chips
Feb 16th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks Sian. Glad to see you haven't joined in the mass suicides I hear have been held at Rugby clubs all across Wales since Tuesday night ;)

PamShriverRockz
Feb 16th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks Sian. Glad to see you haven't joined in the mass suicides I hear have been held at Rugby clubs all across Wales since Tuesday night ;)

:lol:
hehehe David, if I have learnt anything whilst following Wales over the past 20 years, it is this: Expect the unexpected!
Being a Welsh rugby fan is the weirdest rollercoaster ride of your life!

Lord Chips
Feb 16th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Indeed. Might have a long wait now for another Grand Slam!