PDA

View Full Version : Join The Godparents (Ali and Sian) in acknowledging the geniuses of music!

hingis-seles
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Alright, so I'm in love with this song. Don't know about best song ever, but it's right up there with the best of them.

Sufjan Stevens - For the Windows in Paradise, For the Fathers in Ypsilant.

The only other Sufjan Stevens song I've heard (To Be Alone with You) is another all-time favourite of mine. Does anyone here know of any other great songs by Sufjan Stevens?

PamShriverRockz
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Lol obviously you haven't see me going on and on and on about my Sufjan obsession in the What Song thread ;)

The man is simply a genius. I have yet to hear a song of his I haven't liked. His voice is unique and his music is unlike any other I've heard.

You must hear Chicago and Romulus though. You MUST!

:D SufjanRockz!

*Jool*
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Listen to Chicago and Come on! Feel the Illinoise :yeah:
and also :
They are night zombies! They are neighbors! They have come back from the dead ! Ahhhhh !!

:lol:
cool titles, awesome singer , thank you so much Sian for making me discover him :hug:
:worship:

Sufjan is ace ! :yeah:

PamShriverRockz
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM
cool titles, awesome singer , thank you so much Sian for making me discover him :hug:
:worshing:

:kiss: No problem!

Share the Sufjan Love! ;)

*Jool*
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:51 PM
...to spell :worshing: :rolleyes: haha

:kiss: No problem!

Share the Sufjan Love! ;)

I'd even say: spread the Sufjan Love :hearts:

PamShriverRockz
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I'd even say: spread the Sufjan Love :hearts:

Well indeed, I'm trying to brainwash everyone to accept his greatness ;)

SUFJAN ROCKZ!

Perhaps I should have my username changed lol ;)

hingis-seles
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Oh yay! Fellow Surfjan admirers! :D

Thanks for the titles. Can't wait to check them out! :D

PamShriverRockz
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Oh yay! Fellow Surfjan admirers! :D

Thanks for the titles. Can't wait to check them out! :D

You won't be disappointed, that I guarantee! :yeah:

Then check out Rufus Wainwright ;)

hingis-seles
Feb 14th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I've set the downloads, but there's not enough sources. I wish I could just get his cd, but the chances of Sufjan cd's in Pakistan are slim to none. :p

I can't wait to hear these titles. Sufjan's NEVER disappointed me. On the contrary, I've been blown away by every song I've heard.

PamShriverRockz
Feb 14th, 2006, 03:41 PM
You could try amazon?

Or I've seen healthy Sufjan Bit torrents around..........

fnuf7
Feb 14th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I'm surprised, when I saw the title of the thread I assumed Sian had created it ;)

I have been won over by the sheer persistance of Sian and her obsessions and gave his album Illinoise a listen, now love it! :D Chicago is a great, great song :hearts:

Plus he's cute and I love his weird name...;)

grmbl
Feb 14th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Sufjan Stevens @ wtaworld :faints: ;)

He's awesome.. Plays a lot of different instruments and has a huge talent. I'm a admirer.. :D

JonBcn
Feb 14th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I heartily recommend the Illinoise CD :)

PamShriverRockz
Feb 14th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I'm surprised, when I saw the title of the thread I assumed Sian had created it ;)

I have been won over by the sheer persistance of Sian and her obsessions and gave his album Illinoise a listen, now love it! :D Chicago is a great, great song :hearts:

Plus he's cute and I love his weird name...;)

Lol another satisfied customer....

For once an obsession people agree with me on!

Illinoise, as Jon says, is great. :yeah: As is Seven Swans. Well actually all his stuff - Greetings From Michigan, and A Sun Came. He also made a load of Xmas songs, which are bloody brilliant.
:hearts:

drake3781
Feb 15th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Count me in. Big fan here.

:wavey: :wavey:

You can hear three full-length songs here:

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/card/0,,1054519,00.html

and other songs/stories here:

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/asc85/index.html#stevens

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/bestof2003/songs.html#stevens

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/asc57/index.html#stevens

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/asc88/index.html#stevens

Sufjan Stevens:
http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/asc88/images/stevenscvr.gif

beauty_is_pink
Feb 15th, 2006, 02:03 AM
I love him as well ! :wavey:

ginger_fish668
Feb 15th, 2006, 02:24 AM
John Wayne Gacy is an incredible song. Anyone who calls themselves a music lover needs to get Illinoise and Michigan.

PamShriverRockz
Feb 15th, 2006, 07:42 AM
He's fabulous live too. Plays so many different instruments. Amazingly talented!! :yeah:

Strangelove
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Sufjan Stevens :bowdown:

..and he came up with some of the best song titles ever

PamShriverRockz
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Sufjan Stevens :bowdown:

..and he came up with some of the best song titles ever

Certainly up there with some of the longest titles ever ;)

fnuf7
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Woo! Finally got a copy of the whole album Illinoise! :cool: :bounce:

Love it! :hearts: Especially love the original song titles! ;)

PamShriverRockz
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Woo! Finally got a copy of the whole album Illinoise! :cool: :bounce:

Love it! :hearts: Especially love the original song titles! ;)

Lol Gemma, another satisfied customer! Enjoy :)

Another thing I love about Sufjan, is the artwork on his albums - so cool! :cool: Illinoise is a great example!

fnuf7
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Indeed, it does have great artwork, I haven't yet investigated the internal artwork of the cd sleeve cos I was in the middle of a bar and thought it would look rude as to get it out and ignore everyone else! ;)

It is a wicked album though, going to play it really loudly tomorrow and see if my housemates grow to love it too! ;)

ginger_fish668
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I absolutely adore this man, and I'm glad so many fellow posters do as well. :bounce:

PamShriverRockz
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Indeed, it does have great artwork, I haven't yet investigated the internal artwork of the cd sleeve cos I was in the middle of a bar and thought it would look rude as to get it out and ignore everyone else! ;)

It is a wicked album though, going to play it really loudly tomorrow and see if my housemates grow to love it too! ;)

Tsk that's no excuse my dear Gemma, music demands anti-social behaviour ;)
I'm sure everyone will love that album :)

I found some interesting info on Sufjan on his record label web site. About how he wrote Illinoise. It's too long to post in here.... http://www.asthmatickitty.com/musicians.php?artistID=5

I did love this bit though:

Sufjan's other interests include graphic design, painting, running, knitting, crocheting, weaving, quilting, cleaning, photography, haircutting, and dry wall installation. He collects stamps and wheat pennies. He cooks legendary omelets and can whip up a sushi feast at the drop of a sake glass. In high school he played second string guard on a district champion basketball team and created his own language, now spoken by only two other people. His brother Marzuki is a nationally recognized marathon runner, elite status. His sister Djohariah has the most complicated, most whimsical, most monumental laugh in all of mankind.

I want to marry him. Cool guy.

*Jool*
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:27 AM
:yeah:

another one I love:

They also mourn who do not wear black (for the homeless in
Muskegon)

padam padam padadadam :dance:

*Jool*
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:27 AM
I want to marry him. Cool guy.

*heartbroken * :awww:

*Jool*
Feb 17th, 2006, 09:29 AM
basketball :hearts:

and I also created my own language with my best friend :eek:

PamShriverRockz
Feb 18th, 2006, 09:25 AM
*heartbroken * :awww:

I only have eyes for you Julien :smooch: ;)

*Jool*
Feb 18th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I only have eyes for you Julien :smooch: ;)

awww :woohoo: :hug:

Dahveed
Feb 18th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I'm intrigued. D/ling his songs as i post this..

PamShriverRockz
Feb 18th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Ah-ha! Gooooood, another one I can add to the list......

I'll have you all Sufjan fans by the end of the week ;)

Seriously, hope you like! :yeah:

hingis-seles
Feb 18th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I can't wait to download more of his music. I got yet another friend of mine hooked. That's 7 and counting....:p

PamShriverRockz
Feb 18th, 2006, 11:22 AM

But you guys are going to buy one or two of his albums though right?? Support the artist and everything.... ;)

hingis-seles
Feb 18th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Yay! This thread has been of some use! :p

hingis-seles
Feb 18th, 2006, 11:32 AM

But you guys are going to buy one or two of his albums though right?? Support the artist and everything.... ;)

Check your USER CP. ;)

SpikeyAidanm
Feb 18th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Love "Chicago" and "To Be Alone With You" both have reached the top 15 on my ipod charts, I love Sulfjan, he's so old fashioned yet modern if you know what i mean, it's so cool to like him IMO, he rocks.

MisterQ
Feb 18th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I discovered Illinoise a few months ago --what an album! The guy has a unique musical vision. Some of the songs are achingly beautiful, and all of them are interesting in one way or another.

PamShriverRockz
Feb 18th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Check your USER CP. ;)

And SpikeyAidanm & MisterQ :yeah: I know what you mean about him being old fashioned and yet modern at the same time....he really does have a unique sound! His music is textured and packed with narrative.

hingis-seles
Feb 19th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Okay, so I heard Chicago.

*floored*

Brilliant. :worship:

tommyk75
Feb 19th, 2006, 06:26 AM
Heard a lot of his stuff, and liked Casimir Day, the one about the zombies, and the one about the UFO's. But THE best by far has been the John Wayne Gacy song. It is just amazing... scary, hypnotic, and beautiful...

hingis-seles
Feb 19th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Just finished listening to John Wayne Gacy, Jr. It's so different from anything I've ever heard. What is it about this man's music? Each song is so unique, yet I love all of them.

I'm going to be checking out all the tracks on the Illinoise album today.

PamShriverRockz
Feb 19th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Okay, so I heard Chicago.

*floored*

Brilliant. :worship:

*not surprised* ;)

John Wayne Gacy, Jr is a great song indeed. It's beautiful. The guitar reminds me of Nick Drake :sad:

hingis-seles
Feb 19th, 2006, 03:32 PM
*not surprised* ;)

John Wayne Gacy, Jr is a great song indeed. It's beautiful. The guitar reminds me of Nick Drake :sad:

Nick Drake. :worship: Another all-time favourite. I love Northern Sky. :hearts:

I've never come across someone who has such similar taste in music to mine. How could we not have discussed music earlier?! :D

PamShriverRockz
Feb 19th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Nick Drake. :worship: Another all-time favourite. I love Northern Sky. :hearts:

I've never come across someone who has such similar taste in music to mine. How could we not have discussed music earlier?! :D

:D :yeah:
You obviously have genius taste in music ;)

I absolutely *ADORE* Nick Drake. He's one of my idols. Words can't describe how much his music means to me! <omg that sounds so dramatic> ;) His music is beautiful, so melancholic and it evokes so much emotion. He was such an awesome guitar player too, a real genius. So sad. :sad:

If you like Rufus Wainwright too I'll love you ;)

hingis-seles
Feb 19th, 2006, 05:50 PM
:D :yeah:
You obviously have genius taste in music ;)

I absolutely *ADORE* Nick Drake. He's one of my idols. Words can't describe how much his music means to me! <omg that sounds so dramatic> ;) His music is beautiful, so melancholic and it evokes so much emotion. He was such an awesome guitar player too, a real genius. So sad. :sad:

If you like Rufus Wainwright too I'll love you ;)

No one I know had ever heard of Nick Drake or Sufjan Stevens. I "discovered" them on my own and got everyone I know hooked on to them. All my friends are dependent on me for their music, now. :p :lol:

That's so true about Nick Drake. Every song of his I've ever heard has had some effect on me. That guitar playing is pure genius. It always moves me. The first track of his I ever heard was 'Road'. It really is sad about Nick Drake, though. Wish he was still here. :sad:

I haven't heard Rufus Wainwright. Suggest some tracks. If you recommend something, it must be some of the most brilliant, mind-blowing music ever created. I love your taste in music. :D

MisterQ
Feb 19th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I love Nick Drake too. :)

katiektc
Feb 19th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I love your taste in music. :D

Sian has brilliantly genius taste in music! :)

I love Sufjan Stevens too. I must admit, I've only really heard his Illinoise album, but I must invest in his other albums too. He's genius.

Nick Drake is amazing, his songs are so simple but so full of emotion.

MusicRockz ;)

PamShriverRockz
Feb 19th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Aw thanks guys! :kiss: I love sharing music with you :)

Nick Drake is breathtaking.......Place To Be is just so beautifully sad I want to just curl up and cry at it! Again I'm being a drama queen ;)
I became obsessed with Nick after hearing "Fly" on the Royal Tenenbaums soundtrack. I saw that film 3 times in the cinema and that song just stuck in my head. That soundtrack is sheer brilliance...almost perfect, and the composition of that song in the context of the film is perfect.

Lol I'm rambling ;) As for Rufus Wainwright........ *hyperventilate* He is my all time fave. His voice is often one that you might need to work at to appreciate, his albums are growers, some of his music is quite intense. Hingis-Seles, I recommend you find his version of "Hallelujah" first of all.....It's on the Shrek soundtrack but wasn't the actual one in the film!

ENJOY! :D

Katie - Music rockz so much...we should marry it ;)

*Jool*
Feb 19th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Rufus : I recommend personnally "Instant pleasure" :p and "The one you love" :wavey:

MisterQ
Feb 19th, 2006, 09:47 PM
The funny thing is, even though I love both Sufjan and Nick Drake, it's not their breathy singing style that gets me. It's the songwriting. :worship:

PamShriverRockz
Feb 19th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Rufus : I recommend personnally "Instant pleasure" :p and "The one you love" :wavey:

Yep Jool :kiss: Those would be the next ones to recommend on the list ;)

hingis-seles
Feb 20th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Okay, Hallelujah was really good. I'd heard other versions of this song, but I really liked this one. I'm going to get Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk next. Dahveed suggested that. The title really appeals to me. :p

Dahveed
Feb 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah his version of Hallelujah is fab indeed. Cig and Chocolate Milk is my fave but then again i have yet to hear loads of other Rufus songs ;) i'm overwhelmed atm as i'm discovering too much new music :D

I'm currently listening to Illinois, gosh as i said to Sian in a rep, this is really lovely and original! Everything about that Sufjan guy is original anyway, from is name to his music, lyrics, song titles, artwork.. i'm loving it! And him! Such a cutie! ;) Thanks guys!

I am now seriously thinking that Sian has the best taste in music... ever! Can you please tell us you have weaknesses and are a Cheeky Girls fan or something? ;)

PamShriverRockz
Feb 20th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah his version of Hallelujah is fab indeed. Cig and Chocolate Milk is my fave but then again i have yet to hear loads of other Rufus songs ;) i'm overwhelmed atm as i'm discovering too much new music :D

I'm currently listening to Illinois, gosh as i said to Sian in a rep, this is really lovely and original! Everything about that Sufjan guy is original anyway, from is name to his music, lyrics, song titles, artwork.. i'm loving it! And him! Such a cutie! ;) Thanks guys!

I am now seriously thinking that Sian has the best taste in music... ever! Can you please tell us you have weaknesses and are a Cheeky Girls fan or something? ;)

:kiss: Hehehe...no Dahveed I have no weaknesses whatsoever. I am the Musical Godfather <mother>! Aw so nice of you to say that though. To be honest, I like most music across any ANY genre.

Cigarettes & Chocolate Milk is a GENIUS Rufus song. It's incredibly original and supremely well written, both musically and the lyrics. Rufus wrote it when he suddenly realised he needed to check into rehab and sort himself out. It's brilliant! "lesson on tightropes" he seems to recognise how he was living dangerously and was about to fall if he didn't be careful.

Once I've got you all onto Rufus, I suggest you check out his genius sister Martha Wainwright too ;)

And no, I don't like the Cheeky Girls! But I down own a few Bonnie Tyler mp3s ;)

katiektc
Feb 20th, 2006, 12:59 PM
And no, I don't like the Cheeky Girls! But I down own a few Bonnie Tyler mp3s ;)

Ahh...but Bonnie Tyler is true genius!

~Turn around, bright eyes~ ;)

Rufus....RUUUfus....Rufus.....there are no words to describe just how good this guy is...it's breathtaking! In fact, out of his million, trillion begillion songs, there is only one song I don't like (Harvester of Hearts ;)). He is even better live! And he is also lush ;)

Like what has been said above, those tunes are great to get started on Rufus. I'd also recommend listening to:

The Art Teacher
This Love Affair
I Don't Know What It Is
Pretty Things
Poses
Vibrate
14th Street
Gay Messiah

Think I should stop now because I'll end up just listing his entire back catalogue ;)

katiektc
Feb 20th, 2006, 12:59 PM
P.s. SianRockz!

;)

PamShriverRockz
Feb 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM
P.s. SianRockz!

;)

:lol:

Correct answer - 100 points! ;)
:kiss:
I knooooooooow Katie my lovely, if you start listing all the songs of Rufus you like it just ends up as a giant list of all of his songs!

I think my all time faves include:

~The Art Teacher
~Cigarettes & Chocolate Milk
~This Love Affair :sad:
~The One You Love
~Oh What A World
~14th Street
~Vibrate

He is so talented he will probably spontaneously combust at any moment ;) And live.....my god he is wonderful.

RufusRockz! <and so do you Katie :kiss: I'm sure Ginny would agree! >

katiektc
Feb 20th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Ginny would be most disgusted at my musical taste though - I don't own one Max Bygraves or Cliff Richards record! Ginny has never heard of cds anyway.

;)

I can't wait for Rufus' next tour...I havn't seen him live in over...2 months! ;) I bet he won't tour for ages though :sad:

Rufus & Martha are on a Irish tv show on wednesday night, I don't think you can get it, Sian (RTE 2? I think you can get it on Sky though) but I'm getting my mum to record it for me - I couldn't possibly miss it! ;)

*sigh* MusicRockz.

hingis-seles
Feb 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Changed up the thread title a bit (including a shameless plug for myself) :p

Just finished listening to "One of these things first" by Nick Drake. Still love it as much as I did the first time I heard it. :worship:

hingis-seles
Feb 20th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Some more Sufjan favourites of mine:

The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is out to get us
The Man of Metropolis Steals our Hearts
Out of Egypt

PamShriverRockz
Feb 20th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Ginny would be most disgusted at my musical taste though - I don't own one Max Bygraves or Cliff Richards record! Ginny has never heard of cds anyway.

;)

I can't wait for Rufus' next tour...I havn't seen him live in over...2 months! ;) I bet he won't tour for ages though :sad:

Rufus & Martha are on a Irish tv show on wednesday night, I don't think you can get it, Sian (RTE 2? I think you can get it on Sky though) but I'm getting my mum to record it for me - I couldn't possibly miss it! ;)

*sigh* MusicRockz.

Noooooooooo we don't have Sky. Dammit! *pout* ;)

What is the show though?? Like interviews & singing? Sounds really good!

BBC Wales Radio played the WHOLE of Rufus' concert in Cardiff last June, the other night, and I managed to erm convert it to mp3. It's amazing to hear again, his voice was EXCELLENT that night, even better than in December. And he did his Dawn French impression!

Ginny doesn't like Clifford of the Richards...he's too risque....Ginny prefers George Formby ;)

PamShriverRockz
Feb 20th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Changed up the thread title a bit (including a shameless plug for myself) :p

Just finished listening to "One of these things first" by Nick Drake. Still love it as much as I did the first time I heard it. :worship:

Lol wow I love the new thread title! :yeah: I feel honoured ;)

I love all Nick Drake songs :) Have you heard 'Time of No Reply'? That's wonderful.

katiektc
Feb 20th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Noooooooooo we don't have Sky. Dammit! *pout* ;)

What is the show though?? Like interviews & singing? Sounds really good!

BBC Wales Radio played the WHOLE of Rufus' concert in Cardiff last June, the other night, and I managed to erm convert it to mp3. It's amazing to hear again, his voice was EXCELLENT that night, even better than in December. And he did his Dawn French impression!

Ginny doesn't like Clifford of the Richards...he's too risque....Ginny prefers George Formby ;)

Ahh...respect to BBC Wales radio! Rufus in concert is his genius on a whole other level. What was his Dawn French impression? Sounds great though!

The show is called 'The Other Voices'. I've never heard of it before! It's got loads of songwriters on it though so it sounds good! I'm getting it taped though so if you want I can pass it on to you :)

'Time of no reply' is a great song. I love 'Place to be', 'One of these first' and 'Time has told me'. His stuff is brilliant!

PamShriverRockz
Feb 20th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Aw yeah that would be Pamtasmical! :kiss: the show sounds good! Well better than Paul O'Grady anyhoo.....

Lol Rufus was going on about CZJ and then did a mini impression of Dawn French's impersonation of CZJ's Queen of Wales thing! And he also renamed The Art Teacher - The Rugby Teacher to be the Welsh edition ;)

Nick Drake *sigh* My Best Of Nick Drake:

~Place To Be
~Time of No Reply
~Pink Moon
~Fly
~River Man
~Black Eyed Dog <really quite chilling actually>
~One of These Things First
~Road <sublime guitar playing>
~Things Behind The Sun

Oh all of them ;) Has anyone heard "Solid Air" by the legendary folk master John Martyn? Martyn was a good friend of Nick's and wrote that song about Nick after his death. It's wonderful, but so sad.
Incidentally my dad was in Cambridge with Nick Drake lol.

hingis-seles
Feb 21st, 2006, 02:44 AM
Oh man. Pink Moon! That's one of Nick Drake's best. And that's saying something.

PamShriverRockz
Feb 21st, 2006, 07:59 AM
Oh man. Pink Moon! That's one of Nick Drake's best. And that's saying something.

:cool: True :cool: I'm listening to it now, it's stunning. The whole album Pink Moon is fantastic though, one of the best. My only regret is it's so short, at 26 minutes it leaves you wanting more.

hingis-seles
Feb 25th, 2006, 05:26 AM
*bump*

More discussion when I get back from Dubai. On my cousin's computer and all she has is Hillary Duff. After listening to the first 10 seconds, I considered slitting my wrists to make the pain stop. Luckily, I brought my cell phone, which has "For the widows in paradise, for the fatherless in Ypsilanti" by Sufjan Stevens. No music on the pc till I get back home. ;)

PamShriverRockz
Feb 25th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Hillary Duff.............................................. ......................... :eek:

;)

I guess you'll be replaying that Sufjan song over and over and over and over and over Ali ;)

Just listening to the new Iron & Wine album, very nice!

drake3781
Feb 26th, 2006, 06:28 AM
:confused: I guess this is the Sufjan Stevens thread :confused: .

I'm not a big fan of the renaming of the thread title.

Anyway, I wanted to say to the Sufjan lovers, there is somebody else you probably want to listen to, similar but different.

Devendra Banhart.

Read and listen here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1273015

PamShriverRockz
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Anyway, I wanted to say to the Sufjan lovers, there is somebody else you probably want to listen to, similar but different.

Devendra Banhart.

Read and listen here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1273015

Yeah! Already a big big fan of Devendra's work. Niño Rojo is a genius album. I love At The Hop the best, even though it was on those adverts lol.

drake3781
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Yeah! Already a big big fan of Devendra's work. Niño Rojo is a genius album. I love At The Hop the best, even though it was on those adverts lol.

I guess it's Oh Me, Oh My that I have (too lazy to go check the name right now). I got it from a true friend for my birthday 3 birthdays ago (could it have been that long? :sad: :eek: yes it was.) This friend knows me really well.............!

Anyway, I love these songs:
Michigan State
and
now, damn, I can't find the name of this song, but the one that goes:
"my friend has my favorite teeth, they bend backwards when she breathes, and whistles..... sweetness is as sweetness was, bees are black eyed birds that buzz...." etc.

(edit: it's actually the same song :D )

Here's a blog that has a bunch of songs and an interview:
http://www.muzzleofbees.com/2006/02/09/devendra-banhart-kcrw-mp3s/

PamShriverRockz
Feb 26th, 2006, 07:54 AM
I guess it's Oh Me, Oh My that I have (too lazy to go check the name right now). I got it from a true friend for my birthday 3 birthdays ago (could it have been that long? :sad: :eek: yes it was.) This friend knows me really well.............!

Anyway, I love these songs:
Michigan State
and
now, damn, I can't find the name of this song, but the one that goes:
"my friend has my favorite teeth, they bend backwards when she breathes, and whistles..... sweetness is as sweetness was, bees are black eyed birds that buzz...." etc.

(edit: it's actually the same song :D )

Here's a blog that has a bunch of songs and an interview:
http://www.muzzleofbees.com/2006/02/09/devendra-banhart-kcrw-mp3s/

I love Devendra, he seems crazy but in a great way ;)

His music is kind of cross genre, Nino Rojo was more folksy but his last album Cripple Crow is more varied. It's great stuff. Oh Me Oh My is a great album though!! Like Sufjan & Rufus, he's a poet. I often think some of his songs sound eerie, I'm not sure how he manages it. It's certainly rough around the edges.

Do you like Elliott Smith & CocoRosie too?

hingis-seles
Feb 27th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I highly recommend:

Electric President - Insomnia
Roguewave - California

I loved 'Instant Pleasure' by Rufus. The lyrics were :worship: :lol:

hingis-seles
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:13 AM
*bump*

martinailuv
Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:32 AM
Casimir Pulaski Day :worship:

PamShriverRockz
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:51 PM
I highly recommend:

Electric President - Insomnia
Roguewave - California

I loved 'Instant Pleasure' by Rufus. The lyrics were :worship: :lol:

Yeah the lyrics for Instant Pleasure rockz! ;) Great song.

Has anyone heard Sufjan's That Was the Worst Christmas Ever! song? I love it so much!

hingis-seles
Mar 8th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Casimir Pulaski Day :worship:

LOVE. That. Song. :worship:

Sufjan's songs are so addictive, that I just keep on listening to the same one over and over again and never get around to listening to the other tracks, so each day I "discover" a new track I'm in love with.

PamShriverRockz
Mar 9th, 2006, 07:31 AM
LOVE. That. Song. :worship:

Sufjan's songs are so addictive, that I just keep on listening to the same one over and over again and never get around to listening to the other tracks, so each day I "discover" a new track I'm in love with.

;) :yeah: I have yet to hear a Sufjan song I don't like....And I can't decide which album I love more.

hingis-seles
Aug 25th, 2006, 11:16 AM
I'm missing the Godmother of music. :sad: Sian, where are you? (Psst...I know she's in Australia. I'm just being dramatic. Let me have my moment. :p )

Anyone heard Tegan and Sara? I'm really liking this track I'm listening to. It's titled "Where Does the Good Go?".

hingis-seles
Nov 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM
And we want to acknowledge Sia as well now.