PDA

View Full Version : Norah Jones to make film debut with Wong Kar-Wai!!!

spiceboy
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:53 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/film/jones-to-make-film-debut/2006/02/13/1139679519205.html

Jones to make film debut
February 13, 2006 - 2:25PM

Grammy-winning singer Norah Jones will make her film debut in the first English-language film by acclaimed Hong Kong art-house director Wong Kar-wai, a film industry source said.

Wong was originally scheduled to shoot Lady from Shanghai, featuring Oscar-winning actress Nicole Kidman, but has delayed the project until 2007 because they have not found a strong male lead actor, a source attending the ongoing Berlin Film Festival told The Associated Press by phone.

Details of the new movie weren't immediately available but the source, who declined to be further identified, said it won't revolve around the Hurricane Katrina disaster in the US as reported earlier. It also won't be filmed in New York doubling as New Orleans.

"The only cast member that is confirmed ... is Norah Jones," the source said.

The source also said the movie's earlier reported $A67.86 million budget is incorrect but didn't provide an accurate budget figure.

It wasn't clear if Jones will contribute to the music in the movie.

Jones, 26, rose to fame with the success of her debut album Come Away With Me, which won eight Grammys. She is the daughter of Indian musician Ravi Shankar.

Wong is known for his subtle and beautifully shot movies like In the Mood for Love, Happy Together and 2046. His films also feature melancholy soundtracks. Wong won best director at Cannes for Happy Together, a gay love story.

Jones' management company didn't immediately return a reporter's call seeking comment.

Nicjac
Feb 13th, 2006, 07:12 PM
I adore Norah Jones. Great voice, great talent, and apparently a chain-smoker; keeps me wondering with that voice of hers. Someone in my family works in the hire-a-celebrity-for-your-birthday-as-you-don't-know-how-to-spend-your-money-otherwise-business and told me that piece of information. Now a movie and the only cast = main character? Good luck, Norah :D

BTW Johnny Depp said he hates the Academy Awards ceremony as he and his wife and all the others aren't allowed to smoke there - well, he survived several times by now, Norah will as well ;)

firehorse
Feb 13th, 2006, 08:43 PM
also reported by CNN as wll..it will be intersting to see how Norah's acting...I love all Wong Ka Wai's movies..he is the god of art house film..

new-york
Feb 13th, 2006, 08:57 PM
really interesting combo.