PDA

View Full Version : Internet gaming addiction, or gaming addiction in general..

leeber
Feb 13th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Please help me.. :sad:
Me supposed to write a paper on this topic, but so far all i have are a few thoughts from this show i just watched:

In the show, someone said that "Gaming is in his blood, i was born with it, it cannot be explained."

Qn: So is Gaming inborn? Or are these erroneous cognitive thots? And how about not being able to explain his addiction?

Someone also mentioned that in the world of gaming, he feels liberated, he can do whatever he/she wants, so is control very much an important factor in gaming? Are these characteristics of popular online games?

And will idolism by fellow gamers lead to reinforcement of the gaming addiction behavior?

Any thoughts or things you would like to add?? Pls help me, will be very thankful :kiss: :worship:

Nicjac
Feb 13th, 2006, 12:23 PM
http://scholar.google.com/

You'll get a lot of scientific information there. It is a pretty interesting topic.

Addiction to computer/internet games or game of chance/one-armed bandit became a serious problem, so scientist started researching causes and consequences several years back.

Good luck with the paper :wavey:

leeber
Feb 13th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the link! :hug: you have any thoughts on it?

Nicjac
Feb 13th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the link! :hug: you have any thoughts on it?

*random thoughts*

There is a nature vs nurture debate about it.

Some personality traites seem to influence gaming addiction, e.g., violent computer games. Which does not mean that people who play ego-shooters will attack in the real world as well. But it helps to either build up self-esteem if low or validate a certain level of self-esteem if the perceived level is insecure. And it helps to vent hostility or lousy anger management.

Very important are social aspects as well, especially if one plays internet games with others. It's not just meeting someone new, but belonging to a community of fellow gamers and receiving a lot of respect (if you are not the dumbass who loses all the time ;) )

If it comes to money it's is usually a vicious cirlce of trying to win back what you already lost. You are not addicted, but desparate. Or the wish to trick the maschine as it can't be smarter than you - well, it is as it was built by pretty smart people.

Nicjac
Feb 13th, 2006, 12:57 PM
More thoughts

I read an article recently about the target audience of games - and they found out that A LOT of older people play as well, not just the youngsters. There is even a quite famous grandma with a website discussing the newer games, but I forgot the url ... this is one about the age
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/02/AR2005120201800.html

And in Germany they are setting up the first chair of computer games (University). I wonder if they play all day and what kind of papers their studens have to write ;)

leeber
Feb 13th, 2006, 04:20 PM
thanks loads, Nicjac!! :kiss:

i was wondering in lieu of you mentioning that computer games are built by smart ppl, i wonder whether they actually preplan their software by including all these "undesirable, yet popular" violent themes?
And, do you think (or anyone) that those programmers can be addicted to gaming as well?

Nicjac
Feb 13th, 2006, 04:37 PM
thanks loads, Nicjac!! :kiss:

i was wondering in lieu of you mentioning that computer games are built by smart ppl, i wonder whether they actually preplan their software by including all these "undesirable, yet popular" violent themes?
And, do you think (or anyone) that those programmers can be addicted to gaming as well?

Well, interesting questions.

I read up on the development of Doom 3 which took several years after Doom 2 was not as successfull as it should have been. It's a billion dollar venture, so everything is planned. Did you hear about the sex scenes in the last Grand Theft Auto stint? Some programmer put them in, 'forgot' about them over the years and before the release, and the gamer community found a way to unlock them within a couple of days. It takes years to develop a good game.

I have a friend who designs computer games - it seems to be job as every other, but why can't I reach him anymore? For two years? ;)

And no, I am not addicted to any game *coughs*

Alecia Moore
Feb 13th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Sorry I can't help you but if you were talking about Texas Hold Em I'd be totally into telling you about it and being addicted to it. :D

Barrie_Dude
Feb 13th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Please help me.. :sad:
Me supposed to write a paper on this topic, but so far all i have are a few thoughts from this show i just watched:

In the show, someone said that "Gaming is in his blood, i was born with it, it cannot be explained."

Qn: So is Gaming inborn? Or are these erroneous cognitive thots? And how about not being able to explain his addiction?

Someone also mentioned that in the world of gaming, he feels liberated, he can do whatever he/she wants, so is control very much an important factor in gaming? Are these characteristics of popular online games?

And will idolism by fellow gamers lead to reinforcement of the gaming addiction behavior?

Any thoughts or things you would like to add?? Pls help me, will be very thankful :kiss: :worship:Actually, due to my work, I have a wealth of information on Addictions. I suggest a couple of sights that help me: http://www.camh.net and http://www.addictionsontario.ca

My understanding is that with most gambling addictions there is a concurrent disorder/mental health issue. Like it is obssevive/compulsive disorder or a depression/anxiety disorder. At any rate, if you search through the sights I suggest, they will be helpful

SelesFan70
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I think if you're over 25 and you play video games alot.... :help:

leeber
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Well, interesting questions.

I read up on the development of Doom 3 which took several years after Doom 2 was not as successfull as it should have been. It's a billion dollar venture, so everything is planned. Did you hear about the sex scenes in the last Grand Theft Auto stint? Some programmer put them in, 'forgot' about them over the years and before the release, and the gamer community found a way to unlock them within a couple of days. It takes years to develop a good game.

I have a friend who designs computer games - it seems to be job as every other, but why can't I reach him anymore? For two years? ;)

And no, I am not addicted to any game *coughs*
hahah realli!! It would be cool if you get in touch with him, let me noe k? ;)

ic.. dint noe abt the theft thingy.. i don play games.. cos i sux at it.. hahah thanks again for your input :)

leeber
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I think if you're over 25 and you play video games alot.... :help:
well put, mebbe there is an age limit factor? hm..

leeber
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Sorry I can't help you but if you were talking about Texas Hold Em I'd be totally into telling you about it and being addicted to it. :D
hahah then when i am addic`ted, mebbe i will be able to write a better paper.. ;)

leeber
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Actually, due to my work, I have a wealth of information on Addictions. I suggest a couple of sights that help me: http://www.camh.net and http://www.addictionsontario.ca

My understanding is that with most gambling addictions there is a concurrent disorder/mental health issue. Like it is obssevive/compulsive disorder or a depression/anxiety disorder. At any rate, if you search through the sights I suggest, they will be helpful
thanks a lot for your links!!

p/s: what is your area of work?

Barrie_Dude
Feb 14th, 2006, 08:17 PM
thanks a lot for your links!!

p/s: what is your area of work?I am an advocate for homelessness/Mental health/addiction related isuues

leeber
Feb 15th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I am an advocate for homelessness/Mental health/addiction related isuues
that's a lawyer??