PDA

View Full Version : The end of the road: Michelle Kwan is out of the Olympics

Sam L
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:43 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1608455

Terrible. Just terrible. How incredibly sad. I looked forward to the Ladies so much. :sad:

VeeDaQueen
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:49 AM
gay men around the world commit suicide

ClaudiaZ-S
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Michelle :sobbing:

TF Chipmunk
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:53 AM
:sobbing: 12 years, culminating to this?! :fiery:

SelesFan70
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:42 AM
It was the only fair thing she could do. By her pulling out, they can replace her with someone else...hopefully someone that will fill her shoes skates, but those are big skates to fill. I've mentioned on here that I've never been a big fan of La Kwan, but that's sad she is injured. :sad:

schris
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:44 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:46 AM
gay men around the world commit suicide

I would but noone is gonna shovel my sidewalk and driveway except me tommorrow.
I will just go with a FUCK!!! and damn damn damn and wonder why St. Cher the saint of all that is gay didnt provide Ms. Kwan with enough strength to skate.

Shoulderpova
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Michelle :sad: :sad:
but the good thing is that Slutskaya has a dangerous opponent out of competition :p

Kart
Feb 12th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Michelle :sad:.

Dexter
Feb 12th, 2006, 10:52 AM
It's more than sad... :bigcry:

Although now I will have no doubts between her and K.K

Sevenseas
Feb 12th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Michelle...:sad: :sad: I wish you a full recovery soon. :angel:

cellophane
Feb 12th, 2006, 02:21 PM
She shoulld stick around until Vancouver... (though I'm not a fan ;) )

Brooks.
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:20 PM

It's ok Michelle ...gold medal or not...you're still the best :worship:

GrandSlam05
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:37 PM

It's ok Michelle ...gold medal or not...you're still the best :worship:
Totally agree.
I guess the olympic gold just wasn't in the cards for her. She should've won in '98 but I'm not even gonna go there.
It's sad, but I'd rather see this than:
1) Her attempt to skate and do awful. Not only would she finish way low, but the media would rip her to shreds for not withdrawing (even if she does better than Hughes would have), or
2) See her skate awesome, only to see the judges give gold to Irina, hiding behind the COP.

leeber
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:43 PM
:confused: gay men around the world commit suicide
ei why??

skanky~skanketta
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:52 PM
hopefully slutskaya wins it!

cellophane
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:53 PM
:confused:
ei why??

:lol: Not this one... I don't really like Michelle's skating.

partbrit
Feb 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM
I'm really sad for her, but it removes my conflicted feelings altogether--go Irina! If Cohen wins a gold medal, I'll be very glad for her--I am a fan--but I just love Slutskaya. Hers is one of the greatest stories in sports, too, but it has been almost totally ignored.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 12th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Michelle :sad: :sad:
but the good thing is that Slutskaya has a dangerous opponent out of competition :p

In all due respect to Michelle, it would have taken a bloody miracle for her to beat Slutskaya, or even come close to her. There is an American that has a shot at Slutskaya, but it wasn't Michelle.

Regardless, a pity that she's been injured all year.

VeeDaQueen
Feb 12th, 2006, 06:01 PM
:confused:
ei why??

because Kwan's fan base, like Madonna's, is mostly gay men.

GrandSlam05
Feb 12th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I'm really sad for her, but it removes my conflicted feelings altogether--go Irina! If Cohen wins a gold medal, I'll be very glad for her--I am a fan--but I just love Slutskaya. Hers is one of the greatest stories in sports, too, but it has been almost totally ignored.
Part of that is because she's a bitch who bawls and whines every time she loses. The most recent example being the GPF, but there have been many instances throughout the years.

manu32
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:09 PM
i am sad for kwan,and i am not gay.....slutskaya is not my cup of tea because i am straight....so i don't understand some posts???.

Diesel
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:11 PM
because Kwan's fan base, like Madonna's, is mostly gay men.

When was this study done?

kabuki
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:42 PM
So very sad and unfortunate. :sad:

PaulieM
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:17 PM
i've never really liked her, but i feel bad for her. :hug:

VeeDaQueen
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:20 PM
my God, people, lighten up. it was a little humor. chill.

Ryan
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:25 PM
:shrug: I don't think she should have gone in the first place, but it's a sad way to end nontheless. Hopefully she gets better soon and continues skating.

LefandePatty
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Get well soon :hug:

Brooks.
Feb 12th, 2006, 10:14 PM
I hope Sasha can take the gold now....her programs are so great!

Couver
Feb 12th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I was gutted when I heard the news. There are very few athletes that have my uptmost respect and adimiration, and Michelle was at the very top of that list. She is a great ambassador for US figure skating, and an icon for figure skating around the world. The gold was just not meant to be I guess. Though I do find it very rude that reporters just down play her silver and bronze. While those are "lesser" medals than Michelle is capable of, I still think they are a worthy achievement.

She is a true sportswoman and a true competitor. Figure skating has rarely seen IMO a champion so gracious and courageous. I'm sad that I won't get to see her skate as much now, but I wish her a speedy recovery and all the best in the future.

Brooks.
Feb 12th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I was gutted when I heard the news. There are very few athletes that have my uptmost respect and adimiration, and Michelle was at the very top of that list. She is a great ambassador for US figure skating, and an icon for figure skating around the world. The gold was just not meant to be I guess. Though I do find it very rude that reporters just down play her silver and bronze. While those are "lesser" medals than Michelle is capable of, I still think they are a worthy achievement.

She is a true sportswoman and a true competitor. Figure skating has rarely seen IMO a champion so gracious and courageous. I'm sad that I won't get to see her skate as much now, but I wish her a speedy recovery and all the best in the future.

do you think she'll try to skate next year or is this really the end of the road :sad:

Diesel
Feb 12th, 2006, 10:53 PM

:clap2:

Couver
Feb 12th, 2006, 10:53 PM
do you think she'll try to skate next year or is this really the end of the road :sad:

It's hard to say and I think only Michelle knows the answer. She can always go pro, which means people would still get to see her skate. But Michelle has money and success and she may want to focus on other things in life like school or whatever. If that's the case then I wish her all the best because following her career has been really enjoyable. But I will miss her. No skater has ever had her artistry and flare. Even if she's not technically flawless she just has a love for the sport that lets her float on the ice and put together a program that can move an audience like no other skater can.

Brooks.
Feb 12th, 2006, 10:57 PM
It's hard to say and I think only Michelle knows the answer. She can always go pro, which means people would still get to see her skate. But Michelle has money and success and she may want to focus on other things in life like school or whatever. If that's the case then I wish her all the best because following her career has been really enjoyable. But I will miss her. No skater has ever had her artistry and flare. Even if she's not technically flawless she just has a love for the sport that lets her float on the ice and put together a program that can move an audience like no other skater can.

yea ..i'd just love to see her skate one more year...get another nationals title and maybe the world's gold medal....but either way she should be so happy and proud of the career that she has had...she's the best :worship: :hearts:

CC
Feb 12th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Why can't she win the gold at 29?

Couver
Feb 12th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Why can't she win the gold at 29?

Well she certainly could give it a shot, but figure skating is one of those sports in which age is a big factor. There have been skaters who've competed at age 28, 29, and I think maybe even 30 but they haven't really been gold medal contenders. Then there is injury. Michelle was pretty healthy when she was young, but now her body seems to be breaking down. Pluse the skating community will never shut up about the person's age, because in skating by the time you hit 25 they act all surprised that you haven't shriveled up and died from old age.

Then there's having to put in another 4 yrs of training and competition. Michelle's been skating for a very long time and maybe she's just ready to take a break for herself.

Personally if she did decide to stick around and try for 2010 I would be on cloud 9. Cause Vancouver is my hometown and getting to see her in person would just be OMG I don't even know how I'd react.

M2k
Feb 13th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Poor Michelle :sobbing: My local station just broke the news.:eek: x1000 I can't believe this is it! Her programs were very competitive(at least on paper) with level 3's and 4's and now she won't be able to give them a try. :sad:

Go Sasha!

DemWilliamsGulls
Feb 13th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Man i wanted her to at least try..but she's the only one that knows her body..so...she's still the greatest figure skater of all time...without the gold metal.....she should be very proud of her career and the way she skates

Tennis Fool
Feb 13th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Totally agree.
I guess the olympic gold just wasn't in the cards for her. She should've won in '98 but I'm not even gonna go there.

That's so true. Where is Tara L. now? Oh well.
Babilonia and Gardner never won an Olympic medal and they are very much still remembered.

Junex
Feb 13th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Im saddened, but im not really a fan....

sorry, but everytime i watched the US nationals or thw World Championships I've always hoped that somebody would upset Michelle.....

Anyway, here is an article, quite negative.......:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11311044/

Couver
Feb 13th, 2006, 04:40 AM
That's so true. Where is Tara L. now? Oh well.
Babilonia and Gardner never won an Olympic medal and they are very much still remembered.

In Tara's defence she got pretty hurt soon after the Olympics. I mean she had hip replacement surgery, and I don't think she was even 20 when that happend :eek: :sad:

I think Michelle skated a nicer program in 98, but Tara edged her out because she did a technically more difficult program. At Salt Lake the judging system was more balanced between artistry and technicality, which is why that was Michelle's best chance. :sad:

G1Player2
Feb 13th, 2006, 04:48 AM
In Tara's defence she got pretty hurt soon after the Olympics. I mean she had hip replacement surgery, and I don't think she was even 20 when that happend :eek: :sad:

I think Michelle skated a nicer program in 98, but Tara edged her out because she did a technically more difficult program. At Salt Lake the judging system was more balanced between artistry and technicality, which is why that was Michelle's best chance. :sad:

Yeah, I was watching the news and that little girl turned pro because her hips couldn't handle the jumps anymore...

Junex
Feb 13th, 2006, 04:49 AM
i want Emelie to win!!!

I want a great miracle story on this olympics!!!

the first alternate...
barring blizzards and snowstorms...
the first (?) sister back-to-back Olympic gold!!!

Go Emelie,,,make a magic on ice!!!!

ceiling_fan
Feb 13th, 2006, 05:55 AM
I think she is so brave to withdraw but still :sobbing:

Tennis Fool
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:22 AM
i want Emelie to win!!!

I want a great miracle story on this olympics!!!

the first alternate...
barring blizzards and snowstorms...
the first (?) sister back-to-back Olympic gold!!!
I like Emelie, but her chances are slim to none.

Go Emelie,,,make a magic on ice!!!!

I like Emelie but her chances are slim to none.

galadriel
Feb 13th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Michelle :sad: