PDA

View Full Version : Kwan Struggles, Cuts Short First Practice in Turin..may drop out of games!!

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 11th, 2006, 05:11 PM
TURIN, Italy (Feb. 11) - Michelle Kwan might be out of the Olympics before she ever starts. Kwan cut short her first practice because of a sore groin Saturday and left open the possibility of withdrawing from the Winter Games if she's not 100 percent healthy.

The five-time world champion stopped short of saying she was considering dropping off the U.S. team. But asked directly, she replied:

"I really have to pay attention to how I am feeling these days. Dropping out, it's not something I want to do, but I have to listen to what my feelings are."

The 25-year-old skater said a long plane ride and marching in the opening ceremony caused enough problems for her to skip a run-through one day after arriving in Turin. She planned to practice Sunday after getting treatment for the groin injury, which kept her out of last month's U.S. championships and forced her to get a medical bye into her third Olympics.

"Physically, if I'm not able to skate, I would give my spot up," she said.

If she drops out before the Feb. 19 draw for the women's event, Emily Hughes would take her place. Hughes is the third-place finisher at the national championships and younger sister of 2002 Olympic champion Sarah Hughes

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 11th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I personaly think she should and will drop out. Anything less then Gold for KWAN would be dissapointing. I think m ost of us would agree that she has very little chance of doing that...i am a fan oh hers..but i think she should give up her spot to Emily... :D :bounce:

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 11th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Good, I am sorry. But Emily Hughes deserves to not be an alternate. I think it's really unfortunate--Michelle's badluck. But still, Emily Hughes is so much more fit.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 11th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Good, I am sorry. But Emily Hughes deserves to not be an alternate. I think it's really unfortunate--Michelle's badluck. But still, Emily Hughes is so much more fit.

I totally agree with you... :yeah:

PaulieM
Feb 11th, 2006, 06:10 PM
does this mean they would give her spot back to the poor girl they took it from? :unsure:

Brooks.
Feb 11th, 2006, 06:32 PM
:sad: ...I don't care if she medals or not....Michelle deserves this chance to skate at the olympics one last time

Malin
Feb 11th, 2006, 07:00 PM
if it wasn't for michelle's finish at last year's world's the US women wouldn't have three spots. She deserves the spot but if she can't skate then she will give it up.

SloKid
Feb 11th, 2006, 07:10 PM
I think she should pull out, she only got her spot due to past merit, but that's not the way to go in sports. If you can't perform give someone who can a chance :shrug:

hablo
Feb 11th, 2006, 07:15 PM
such bad luck for her... :sad:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 11th, 2006, 07:16 PM
does this mean they would give her spot back to the poor girl they took it from? :unsure:

Yes...that girl is at the Olympics practicing...just in case... :)

TF Chipmunk
Feb 11th, 2006, 07:23 PM
If she truly wants that Gold, she will fight no matter what! I hope she does, because we've all been waiting so many years for this moment, and she has as well. She can't just let this journey end here :sad:

I'm saying all of this because...if she pulls out, I doubt she'll still be around for Vancouver 2010 :sad:

schris
Feb 11th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I wish her all the best and good luck, she is history now :angel:

Brooks.
Feb 11th, 2006, 07:37 PM
If she truly wants that Gold, she will fight no matter what! I hope she does, because we've all been waiting so many years for this moment, and she has as well. She can't just let this journey end here :sad:

I'm saying all of this because...if she pulls out, I doubt she'll still be around for Vancouver 2010 :sad:

i remember them saying in 02' they weren't even sure she would make it to this olympics... :sad:

Couver
Feb 11th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Michelle :(

I would have liked her to have had this one last chance to try for the gold, no matter what happend, so I'm devastated by the news.

For the record she took no spot from anyone. There was only 1 person gauranteed a spot and that was Cohen, the comittee decided the other two spots. Michelle skated very little under the new scoring system but still did better than Emily Hughs. The US team thus choose her because they felt she had a better chance. There was no "stealing" of a spot :rolleyes:

Scotso
Feb 11th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Oh come on, if she just wanted gold she wouldn't be here. She and everyone else who is sane knows that she has absolutely no chance to even medal.

And even if she drops out now she robbed Hughes of the Opening Ceremonies and much of the experience.

Brooks.
Feb 11th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Oh come on, if she just wanted gold she wouldn't be here. She and everyone else who is sane knows that she has absolutely no chance to even medal.

And even if she drops out now she robbed Hughes of the Opening Ceremonies and much of the experience.

:rolleyes: :ras:

Libertango
Feb 11th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Michelle will be OK. It was her first practice session here, I think she's just tired from the journey, the ceremony, jet lag etc. I don't think we should panic too much right now. Go Michelle!!!!

PaulieM
Feb 11th, 2006, 09:24 PM
For the record she took no spot from anyone. There was only 1 person gauranteed a spot and that was Cohen, the comittee decided the other two spots. Michelle skated very little under the new scoring system but still did better than Emily Hughs. The US team thus choose her because they felt she had a better chance. There was no "stealing" of a spot :rolleyes:
it was me that used the word "took" but it wasn't meant to imply that she somehow stole it, just that she replaced her. and "poor girl" because i'm sure even though she understood michelle getting the spot she was disappointed. :shrug:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Feb 11th, 2006, 10:06 PM
If she doesnt compete then she needs to apoligize to the competitor that didn't get in because of her..

Couver
Feb 11th, 2006, 10:06 PM
it was me that used the word "took" but it wasn't meant to imply that she somehow stole it, just that she replaced her. and "poor girl" because i'm sure even though she understood michelle getting the spot she was disappointed. :shrug:

I understand, I wasn't directing my response only to what you said because others said much the same thing. At least you were polite in your reply which is more than I can say for some other responses since.

Brooks.
Feb 11th, 2006, 10:14 PM
they just showed her practice session on tv and she did look upset when she had to leave the practice early...hopefully 10 days will be enough for her to be ready

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 11th, 2006, 10:32 PM
If she doesnt compete then she needs to apoligize to the competitor that didn't get in because of her..

Well...if she sees that she cannot compete then Kwan will pull out by the 19th and Emily will be able to take her place :D

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 12th, 2006, 01:41 AM
I think Michelle should stay.
At this point in time its asking a lot from Emily who is not even in Torino right now to come from the states and try to skate the best programs of her life.
This is Michelle Kwans farewell programs. I wish her the best and I am privileged to see this phenominal figure skater for the last 13 years.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 12th, 2006, 01:44 AM
I think Michelle should stay.
At this point in time its asking a lot from Emily who is not even in Torino right now to come from the states and try to skate the best programs of her life.
This is Michelle Kwans farewell programs. I wish her the best and I am privileged to see this phenominal figure skater for the last 13 years.

EMILY IS IN TORONTO... :D Who knows what will happin...Michelle has 8 days to decide... :D

Goodnight Everyone :wavey:

Wannabeknowitall
Feb 12th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Ok.
I dont mind Emily but unlike her sister she really isnt light on her feet.
You can hear almost every edge move she makes.
Most judges consider that as sloppy skating.
I dont really thinks its something she can fix in a little bit of time to compete with Ando, Cohen, and Slutskaya .

harloo
Feb 12th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Ugh. Oh well Michelle. She has to be the most decorated female skater to not win the gold. It looks like her last chance is gone. I always thought she was cheated out of the gold when Tara Lipinski won. The girl turned pro right after and never looked back.

Couver
Feb 12th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Ugh. Oh well Michelle. She has to be the most decorated female skater to not win the gold. It looks like her last chance is gone. I always thought she was cheated out of the gold when Tara Lipinski won. The girl turned pro right after and never looked back.

She really had a good shot the year Lipinski won, but Tara did a technically more difficult program which while boring as hell earned her more points than Michelle. The technical aspect has always been something Michelle has struggled with.

Now Salt Lake was her HUGE chance, especially cause it was on American ice which Michelle has always done well on and she was leading after the short program I think. But ugh that long program :banghead:

I don't want her to hurt herself or harm her career but since this is probably her last year I hope she just goes for it. There's no pressure and if I knew I'd never be back at the Olympics I'd just do it.

Diesel
Feb 12th, 2006, 03:39 AM

Ugh Tara. Michelle was so cheated out of that medal. It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Made me wish the minimum age requirement was higher :ras:

G1Player2
Feb 12th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Ugh Tara. Michelle was so cheated out of that medal. It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Made me wish the minimum age requirement was higher :ras:

How old was that little girl...like 14 or 15?

Diesel
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:01 AM
I think she was 15 at the time, which is the limit today. I'm happy about the age limit though because it reminds me of a skater who did a quad when she was younger and has never duplicated that again. I'm more proud of Michelle's statement that she won the silver, and that she didn't lose the gold, but that was her medal and her lasting power makes me respect her that much more ever since those Olympics.

G1Player2
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:05 AM
I think she was 15 at the time, which is the limit today. I'm happy about the age limit though because it reminds me of a skater who did a quad when she was younger and has never duplicated that again. I'm more proud of Michelle's statement that she won the silver, and that she didn't lose the gold, but that was her medal and her lasting power makes me respect her that much more ever since those Olympics.

that girl was good though...

Ferosh
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Wasn't Michelle's spot on the Olympic team taken back in 1994 by Nancy Kerrigan?

Diesel
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:24 AM
that girl was good though...

If she was good I've blocked it out :lol: I remember those Olympics for Michelle, Anissina and Peizerat, Philippe Candeloro as D'Artagnan. Great stuff.

bellascarlett
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:58 AM
I don't want her to hurt herself or harm her career but since this is probably her last year I hope she just goes for it. There's no pressure and if I knew I'd never be back at the Olympics I'd just do it.

:awww: Michelle...I feel so sorry for her and I do hope she tries her best during practice in the next couple of days.

I just saw Emily Hughes being interviewed about Michelle's possible withdrawal and they said she was still in Long Island.

And what happened to Sarah? So, she just stopped competing after winning the gold?

bellascarlett
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Oh she already withdrew! :tears: Michelle :hug:

TF Chipmunk
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:07 AM
:sobbing:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 12th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Kwan has pulled put. :eek: .i am sad for her but i think she made the right decision :)

harloo
Feb 12th, 2006, 04:23 PM
She really had a good shot the year Lipinski won, but Tara did a technically more difficult program which while boring as hell earned her more points than Michelle. The technical aspect has always been something Michelle has struggled with.

Now Salt Lake was her HUGE chance, especially cause it was on American ice which Michelle has always done well on and she was leading after the short program I think. But ugh that long program :banghead:

I agree that Salt Lake was her huge chance to win. The field was very weak but Michelle buckled under pressure. It was very sad to see her lose in that manner because that was a perfect opportunity.

I remember watching Tara skate a perfect program but I felt her artistry was very lacking. The jumps were fine and she was smiling alot. One thing I remember is the judges saying that she seemed more bubbly and that was the difference. It's easy to be bubbly when you are not expected to win and feel no pressure.

And ususally the judges need to become really familiar with a skater before they start dishing out the high scores. The vets always have a little more clout but it did not happen in that instance.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Feb 12th, 2006, 05:21 PM
I am so happy for Emily Hughes because she is the one who deserves to skate.

But this really really sucks for Michelle. The Olympics seem to be this evil thing, that only comes every four years and just completely fucks with people's heads! I feel happy that our tennis players' careers aren't so dependent on the Olympics like other athletes. I mean, it's just sad how the Olympics mean SO MUCH to people and they work their entire lives around it, and it just screws them over! Poor Michelle

Diesel
Feb 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I'm very sad for Michelle. Hughes makes the team as she should but it only shows how lacking the US team really is. Michelle didn't win a gold but her career shouldn't be (isn't for me) defined by a lack of Olympic Gold. Her success in the US, Worlds, and pursuit of better for all these years is Michelle Kwan.

With her out I suppose I'm rooting for Irina and the Japanese skaters.

starr
Feb 12th, 2006, 06:37 PM
I am so happy for Emily Hughes because she is the one who deserves to skate.

Me too!! I actually think it was very poorly done from Michelle to petition for a spot when she hadn't competed all season long, and hadn't ever shown that she could compete for the podium under the new rules.

Diesel
Feb 12th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Actually, for those who paid attention, Michelle by finishing fourth at the Worlds assured the the spots for the women at the Olympics and she showed she could compete with the new rules. The attempt to demonize Michelle is unwarranted.

starr
Feb 12th, 2006, 06:53 PM
You think a critical remark is "demonizing?"

I'm not demonizing her, I just don't think she should have gone to the Olypmics, and events have justified the opinion I had from the start.

starr
Feb 12th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Oh, and her leg position on her lay back spin is dreadful.

I guess you think that is "demonizing" too.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 12th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Actually, for those who paid attention, Michelle by finishing fourth at the Worlds assured the the spots for the women at the Olympics and she showed she could compete with the new rules. The attempt to demonize Michelle is unwarranted.
Her finishing fourth a year ago doesn't mean that she's up for the challenge a year later. Nor does her helping to guarentee a spot for three women (and gee, the way some people talk you'd think she did that all alone. Remember Cohen?) at the Olympics mean that she's entitled to one of those three spots.

She's been injured and hasn't competed all year. While that's a pity, it was unrealistic to think she was going to just show up and compete for a medal.

Hughes won't compete for a medal either but this should be a good experience for her and she may well still be around for the next games.

Diesel
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:03 PM
You think a critical remark is "demonizing?"

I'm not demonizing her, I just don't think she should have gone to the Olypmics, and events have justified the opinion I had from the start.

Generally yes, it's why I used it. Basically to encompass all the negativity that has gone towards Michelle's way ranging from being selfish to not deserving.

Diesel
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Her finishing fourth a year ago doesn't mean that she's up for the challenge a year later. Nor does her helping to guarentee a spot for three women (and gee, the way some people talk you'd think she did that all alone. Remember Cohen?) at the Olympics mean that she's entitled to one of those three spots.

She's been injured and hasn't competed all year. While that's a pity, it was unrealistic to think she was going to just show up and compete for a medal.

Hughes won't compete for a medal either but this should be a good experience for her and she may well still be around for the next games.

Her fourth proved she could compete, and perhaps without the injuries she could have done better this time around under the new system. Sasha finished second but Michelle finishing in the top helped with the spots, which was the point. Sasha alone wouldn't have assured 3 US women. It was unrealistic to pencil in Michelle for a gold, but not for a medal; the extent of her injuries obviously proved otherwise.

starr
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:26 PM
True, but a fourth place finish by Kwan alone wouldn't have assured 3 U.S. women.

But you probably think that is "demonizing" too if you think any critical remark is demonizing.

Kwan's skating is not suited to the new system, and that's one of the reasons I'm glad for the new system. I don't like Michelle's skating very much and she's gotten by without being penalized for some pretty basic things in her skating. I'm not demonizing her, but I'm not fawining at her feet either. She's a great competitor and she certainly has proved her mental toughness over many years. I think that's her main strength.

Diesel
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:36 PM
But you probably think that is "demonizing" too if you think any critical remark is demonizing.

It's a dead issue considering I stated it twice, the redundant remarks by you change nothing unless you're still trying to understand that demonized meant exactly what it was put there to mean. As far as you not liking Michelle's skating, cool for you, and?

starr
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I asked if you thought a critical remark was "demonizing" and you responed, "Generally, yes."

Demonize means : 1. To turn into or as if into a demon. 2. To possess by or as if by a demon. 3. To represent as evil or diabolic: wartime propaganda that demonizes the enemy.

:confused:

starr
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:44 PM
So if you think a critical remark is representing Kwan as evil or diabolic, that's pretty whacked.

Diesel
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Considering the fact that it hit a chord with you

Diesel
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:47 PM
My assessment of criticism that was general must not be far off from 'whacked'

starr
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Well, at least it's proportional to your thinking that critical remarks are equivalent to representing someone as diabolical. :lol:

Diesel
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Well, at least it's proportional to your thinking that critical remarks are equivalent to representing someone as diabolical. :lol:

You related so I'm cool with it :yeah:

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Weve got a couple debaters in this thread... :yeah: