PDA

View Full Version : Schnyder Swaps Sweat for Sharks

Jenny.C.Fan
Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:31 PM
Schnyder Swaps Sweat for Sharks
by Jordan Chong
Sunday, 22 January, 2006

Patty Schnyder picked the perfect place to escape to on a hot Melbourne Sunday, despite the presence of some sharp-toothed marine life.

On her day off before taking on Anastasia Myskina in the fourth-round on Monday, Schnyder made her way down to the Melbourne Aquarium for a quick swim.

In doing so, she chose a swimming pool (or tank) that contained, among other things, a Grey Nurse Shark, a school of exotic fish and numerous giant stingrays.

It's not the first time the Swiss left-hander has decided to get up close and personal with the Melbourne Aquarium's star attractions, having also dived there three years ago.

Following a 20-minute period of instruction, Schnyder donned a wetsuit, strapped on an oxygen tank and slipped on a pair of goggles and, with a gaggle of media watching on, dove in.

A smiling Schnyder said afterwards she felt no fear at any time during her swim because the animals all had full stomachs.

"I don't think it's dangerous because the sharks are not dangerous and they are used to humans being in there all there. They are also well fed before," Schnyder said.

"It's just very exciting, they are really big. It was fun, amazing. I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't want to do anything outdoors (today) and this water is especially cold. I could have stayed there (longer)."

Schnyder, 27, also told the Swiss press she felt very calm in the water and her upcoming clash with Myskina didn't enter her mind at any stage, not even for one second.

"It's just to get your mind a little off tennis and relax," Schnyder said.

The excursion certainly sits in contrast to what she and her husband like to do in their spare time - play cards!

LefandePatty
Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
great to see Patty enjoyed a lot!! :D

Jenny.C.Fan
Jan 23rd, 2006, 08:08 PM
looks like she had a great time :)