PDA

View Full Version : Match Point: Woody's Secret Love Letter to Lena

miffedmax
Jan 19th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Just saw match point, and it's clear that Woody Allen is as obbsessed with Lena D as we are.

The film contains many subtle homages to the Golden Goddess (I must be over that Rnd 1 loss, mustn't I) among them:

1. Opening sequence: the slow moving tennis ball is clearly a tongue-in-cheek reference to Elena's only imperfection, her serve.

2. The film contains not one, but two references to the works of Dostoevsky--one of Lena's favorite writers!

3. One of the characters is an overbearing mother

4. On the movie posters, Scarlett Johanssen bears a strong resemblence to Anna K. Lena D. is also often compared to Anna K. (As in "Anna K. is soo beautiful, why, she's nearly as lovely as Lena D.")

5. One of the characters, Chloe, has a name from Greek mythology, as does Elena

6. The actress who plays Chloe played a character named "Helena" in "The Ghost and the Darkness." Helena, is, of course, a variation on Helen, as is Elena

7. Another character in the movie is named Eleanor, which is also a variation on Helen.

I'm sure that other ED fans will see more evidence when the watch the movie. But it is proof that one cannot think of tennis even in the most tangental way without invoking thoughts of the Golden Goddess, the embodiment of tennis perfection.

miffedmax
Jan 19th, 2006, 05:51 PM
8. Oh yes. Both ED and SJ are blondes with scrumptious noses and have had bangs at some point in their careers.

They just keep piling up, folks.

~Dementievaitis~
Jan 19th, 2006, 06:05 PM
You makes me more anxious to see the movie
The bad news is I won't be able to do so till 16/3 in HK

Maybe Woody Allen's secretly in love with Elena
His upcoming project may be 'Elena and Elena', 'Deconstructing Elena' would also be fine :lol:

Fearful Jesuit
Jan 19th, 2006, 06:29 PM
well, Max, another proof to comfirm that Woody Allen is a genius! :D

gentzy
Jan 19th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Ha ha...nice post...interesting what a little mind can think of...so now you just made me curious to watch this movie although it was already on my "Must See" list !!

Dementinator
Jan 19th, 2006, 06:46 PM
sounds a good one!

Fearful Jesuit
Jan 19th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Maybe Woody Allen's secretly in love with Elena
His upcoming project may be 'Elena and Elena', 'Deconstructing Elena' would also be fine :lol:

"The purple rose of Moscow"
"Elena Hall"

Dementirilenko
Jan 19th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Just saw match point, and it's clear that Woody Allen is as obbsessed with Lena D as we are.

The film contains many subtle homages to the Golden Goddess (I must be over that Rnd 1 loss, mustn't I) among them:

1. Opening sequence: the slow moving tennis ball is clearly a tongue-in-cheek reference to Elena's only imperfection, her serve.

2. The film contains not one, but two references to the works of Dostoevsky--one of Lena's favorite writers!

3. One of the characters is an overbearing mother

4. On the movie posters, Scarlett Johanssen bears a strong resemblence to Anna K. Lena D. is also often compared to Anna K. (As in "Anna K. is soo beautiful, why, she's nearly as lovely as Lena D.")

5. One of the characters, Chloe, has a name from Greek mythology, as does Elena

6. The actress who plays Chloe played a character named "Helena" in "The Ghost and the Darkness." Helena, is, of course, a variation on Helen, as is Elena

7. Another character in the movie is named Eleanor, which is also a variation on Helen.

I'm sure that other ED fans will see more evidence when the watch the movie. But it is proof that one cannot think of tennis even in the most tangental way without invoking thoughts of the Golden Goddess, the embodiment of tennis perfection.

Nice, I wanna watch this movie too! Scarlett Johansson is as beautiful as our Princess so I will always remember our darling when I watch this film!

evinrude15
Jan 19th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Well I was not thinking of that when i see the movie but...after all why not ;)

miffedmax
Jan 19th, 2006, 09:57 PM
It's really a good movie, though it has little to do with tennis. Despite this, as I have clearly demonstrated, Woody Allen is unable to resist the lure of Lena D.

miffedmax
Jan 19th, 2006, 10:02 PM
"Elena Hall"

Not to mention classics like

"Broadway Elena Dementieva"

"Elena and her Sisters"

"Play it Again, Elena"

"Mighty Elena"

But you're right, Elena Hall will always be one of my favorites.

~Dementievaitis~
Jan 20th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Nice, I wanna watch this movie too! Scarlett Johansson is as beautiful as our Princess so I will always remember our darling when I watch this film!

Though I like Scarlett esp. in Girl with a pearl earring, ;)
Elena and Scarlett are not the same in terms of celebrity gossips I think:lol:
The Golden Goddess seems to be purer:angel:

"Elena Hall"
"Broadway Elena Dementieva"
"Elena and her Sisters"
"Play it Again, Elena"
"Mighty Elena"

:worship: :worship: :worship:

meyerpl
Jan 26th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Max, now that you've pointed out all the references to Elena Dementieva in Woody Allen's movie, they're as plain as the nose on her face!