PDA

View Full Version : Serena's Top 5 Comebacks

serenafan08
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Hey - there was a thread for Venus - so why not one for Serena! She is one of the game's best fighters, hands down. Serena knows how to use her drive and competitiveness to squeeze out a victory like nobody else. She's had so many great matches in her career, so it's hard to choose just five. But here's my list:

5)Serena d. Capriati 2002 YEC Semifinals 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
This match is the best one in the rivalry between these two if you ask me. Capriati has never played so agressively against Serena, and yet she still couldn't beat her. Serena was down 3-1 in the third set and was a point from going down 4-1. But she steeled her nerves and fought her way back into it. The points were so intense!

4)Serena d. Mauresmo 2004 Wimbledon Semifinals: 6-7, 7-5, 6-4
Wow. Mauresmo was up a set and 3-1, and she was playing the tennis of her life. Serena had no reason to win that match, but she dug deep and pulled it out. Fantastic points in the third set too!

3)Serena d. Mauresmo 2004 YEC Semifinals: 4-6, 7-6, 6-4
This match was better than the match at Wimbledon IMO. Serena REALLY had no business winning this one. She was sort of ho-humming her way through. Then when she starting attacking the net, things turned around. She saved 12 break points in the third set - hitting winners on 10 of them. This was arguably the highest quality match of 2004.

2)Serena d. Maria 2005 Aussie Open Semifinals: 2-6, 7-5, 8-6
Unbelievable. So many people had crowned Maria the new "It Girl" of tennis after her Wimbledon victory, and many were starting to believe that she had Serena's number. For a set and a half, it appeared that way. Serena was down 4-5 in the second set and 3-5 in the third. Keep in mind, she saved three match points in the third set - two of them with forehand winners - and only needed one match point to close it out. To me, this was a big statement victory.

1) Serena d. Kim 2003 Aussie Open semifinals: 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
Does it get any better than this??? She was down 5-1 in the third set, and encountered two match points, and still fought her way to a victory. Of course, the big storyline here was her "Serena Slam," and many thought that Kim was going to be the one to stop her. Amazing stuff. This was a signature match for Serena.

Give me your thoughts and your top five lists too! :D

cometz9
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:09 AM
1998 Sydney QF Serena Williams def. (3) Lindsay Davenport 1-6 7-5 7-5 saving 2 mps at 2-5 in the 2nd....too bad i never saw this match

tennisIlove09
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM
1998 Sydney QF Serena Williams def. (3) Lindsay Davenport 1-6 7-5 7-5 saving 2 mps at 2-5 in the 2nd....too bad i never saw this match

I was going to say that one as well. The 03 OZ was a huge UFE fest

venus_rulez
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:29 AM
i was there for the Serena/Capriati match at the YEC in 2002. It was spectacular tennis by both players and it was nice to see Serena pull that out especially after Venus crapped out and couldn't play the first semifinal :(

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jan 14th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Also Serena coming back at the 1999 Indian Wells final against Graf - her first Tier I final and championship :)

vwfan
Jan 14th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Hey - there was a thread for Venus - so why not one for Serena! She is one of the game's best fighters, hands down. Serena knows how to use her drive and competitiveness to squeeze out a victory like nobody else. She's had so many great matches in her career, so it's hard to choose just five. But here's my list:

This match is the best one in the rivalry between these two if you ask me. Capriati has never played so agressively against Serena, and yet she still couldn't beat her. Serena was down 3-1 in the third set and was a point from going down 4-1. But she steeled her nerves and fought her way back into it. The points were so intense!

4)Serena d. Mauresmo 2004 Wimbledon Semifinals: 6-7, 7-5, 6-4
Wow. Mauresmo was up a set and 3-1, and she was playing the tennis of her life. Serena had no reason to win that match, but she dug deep and pulled it out. Fantastic points in the third set too!

3)Serena d. Mauresmo 2004 YEC Semifinals: 4-6, 7-6, 6-4
This match was better than the match at Wimbledon IMO. Serena REALLY had no business winning this one. She was sort of ho-humming her way through. Then when she starting attacking the net, things turned around. She saved 12 break points in the third set - hitting winners on 10 of them. This was arguably the highest quality match of 2004.

2)Serena d. Maria 2005 Aussie Open Semifinals: 2-6, 7-5, 8-6
Unbelievable. So many people had crowned Maria the new "It Girl" of tennis after her Wimbledon victory, and many were starting to believe that she had Serena's number. For a set and a half, it appeared that way. Serena was down 4-5 in the second set and 3-5 in the third. Keep in mind, she saved three match points in the third set - two of them with forehand winners - and only needed one match point to close it out. To me, this was a big statement victory.

1) Serena d. Kim 2003 Aussie Open semifinals: 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
Does it get any better than this??? She was down 5-1 in the third set, and encountered two match points, and still fought her way to a victory. Of course, the big storyline here was her "Serena Slam," and many thought that Kim was going to be the one to stop her. Amazing stuff. This was a signature match for Serena.

Give me your thoughts and your top five lists too! :DThose are the same ones I would list with defeat of Kim and Maria at the top, putting both players in the places and silencing the media hype around them!

Sam L
Jan 14th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I saw this match. The famous Davenport shriek was the point where the match turned around. It's scary that you can actually pinpoint that exact moment.

Williams Rulez
Jan 14th, 2006, 02:15 PM
i didn't watch tt match... what's the shriek abt?

Geisha
Jan 14th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I agree with all except for #5 where it should be changed to the '98 Sydney QF.

serenafan08
Jan 14th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I forgot about this one!!! I didn't see it, so it never came to mind. Even back then - before she won any majors - her fighting character was pulling her through. Serena rocks. :yeah:

serenafan08
Jan 14th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Also Serena coming back at the 1999 Indian Wells final against Graf - her first Tier I final and championship :)
I didn't see this one either. What was the score?

Simplicity
Jan 14th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Serena def. Kuznetsova at the China Open. (Splendid match!)

Serena def. Myskina at 2004 YECs. Serena was down a set and 2 breaks, and still won the match! :eek:

Bounty Hunter
Jan 14th, 2006, 10:17 PM

:worship: :worship: I was there that day. That match made up for both semi's since Venus gave Kim the walkover.

That match was sooooooooo enjoyable because both are my favs. But of course, I was so happy when Serena did her thing..... :worship:

tommystar
Jan 15th, 2006, 09:10 AM
IW - 99: I didn't see this one either. What was the score?
The final score was 6-3 3-6 7-5. Graf opened the final set with a break, and had points for a double-break in the third game, seemed she is totally in control by that time, I really thought there Graf'd win 6-2 3rd set.
Around 4-4 Serena broke back, I don't remeber excatly...