PDA

View Full Version : Venus' Top 5 Comebacks

Simplicity
Jan 14th, 2006, 01:54 AM
I would love to see what some of you guys thought were some of Venus' greatest combebacks/most intense matches.

Here are mine:

5) Venus Williams def. Martina Hingis (USA) 4-6 6-3 7-5 :worship:

4) Venus Williams def. Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL) 2-6 7-5 7-6 :tape: :lol:

3) Venus Williams def. Irina Spirlea (ROM) 7-6 (7-5), 4-6 7-6 (9-7). :eek:

2) Venus Williams def. Lindsay Davenport (USA) 4-6 7-6 9-7 :worship:

1) Venus Williams def. Jennifer Capriati (USA) 4-6 6-1 7-6 :kiss:

Paneru
Jan 14th, 2006, 02:10 AM
5) Any match with her and Martina was most often
some great stuff, especially when Venus began to figure her out.
Venus beating her at Wimbledon a few months prior IMO held her.
That was just an incredible match with incredible shot making!

4) That was just crazy. Venus hung tough while
Justine wasn't tough mentally enough. Always remeber
Justine saying Venus troubles her so because she can't
read Venus.(emotionally)

3) The Spirlea match showed how much
metal she had at an early age.(the Match & bump)

Oh goodness, the back hand smack
dab on the line! :worship:

2) The "Re-Birth" of Venus, if you will. After the way she was dogged she
didn't let it get her down and she showed heart and guts and announced she's was truly back. Not always at her best in this match, but when she needed it she never faultered!

1) Loved it!

vwfan
Jan 14th, 2006, 02:17 AM
I would love to see what some of you guys thought were some of Venus' greatest combebacks/most intense matches.

Here are mine:

5) Venus Williams def. Martina Hingis Lindsay Davenport (USA) 4-6 6-3 7-5 :worship:

1) Venus Williams def. Jennifer Capriati (USA) 4-6 6-1 7-6 :kiss:oh, the memories.

Simplicity
Jan 14th, 2006, 02:21 AM
That match with Irina and Venus, I have never seen! I would LOVEEEE to see that match!! Anyone knows how I could get/buy this match? If so please PM me! I got to see a clip of when Venus saved match point, and her reactions said it ALL "Oh my God :eek: "

Cat's Pajamas
Jan 14th, 2006, 02:49 AM
That match with Irina and Venus, I have never seen! I would LOVEEEE to see that match!! Anyone knows how I could get/buy this match? If so please PM me! I got to see a clip of when Venus saved match point, and her reactions said it ALL "Oh my God :eek: "

Me too! i want a copy of that as well! just pm me thanks!

Simplicity
Jan 14th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Venus fans! please comment... :o

Marshmallow
Jan 14th, 2006, 03:54 AM
The only match i've seen of those four (unfortunately) is the Wimbledon final.

How much space do i have to talk about it? Venus came out, and clearly was not at her best, going down 5-2 in that first set. She was playing a grade lower than she did when she came out to play the blonde giraffe (a match that should have been 6-3, 6-1). But Venus wanted it, and she wanted it bad. She's waited a long time to be in a slam final (her favortie). She fought, as good as anyone on the WTA. Down a set a break, when davenport came out to serve for the match, she played some unbelievable shots, refusing to go down. Davenport had to take this from her.

She kept on battling, saving championship point in the gurelling process. Some argue lindsay was seriously injured - but anyone with two brain cells who saw that match knows she was striking the ball as well as at any point in the match. She went up a break after treatment (thinking time) did she not?

Venus many many ties in that match looked on the brink of defeat - but she showed nerves of steele and unimaginable desire - and it payed off. She saw off some terrifyingly aggressive tennis from Davenport in that last game and sat back on her throne. Inspite of all the heartache and disappointment, she more than made up for it with that victory. Doubters sand haters alike .... silenced.

I could go on forever about this match - but dear lord it's almost 4am!

Marshmallow
Jan 14th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Though i didn't see it - i've head rave reviews about the USO Semi win over Mauresmo in 2002.

Venus def. Mauresmo W 6-3, 5-7, 6-4

Now not quite a come back, but i believe an intense match!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jan 14th, 2006, 04:14 AM
5) Venus Williams def. Martina Hingis (USA) 4-6 6-3 7-5
So exciting, including the easy put-away that Hingis had to make it match point but missed it and it breathed life into Hingis. I remember that at that time and after that win I thought "nobody can beat Venus anymore". One of the best times to be a Venus fan.

I always knew she would come back and win this one, as weird as it seems. Justine had never beaten Venus (I believe) and had trouble with higher-tiered events at the time. Venus was by far superior at the time when it came to mental strength.

This is where the fucking Venus Williams came to debut. It's so funny to watch this match and see how much Venus has matured. She truly was a little girl back then and it was fun to see a 15 year old Serena cheering her on in the crowd. Venus was so emotional then.

Wow - what can you say but wow. This match showed us all why we love Venus so dearly. Down and out nobody thought she would win Wimbledon. She played superbly against Maria and then fought back from match point against Davenport. Wow. Wow. Wow. First time I cried in a long time over a tennis match. Thank you Venus.

1) Venus Williams def. Jennifer Capriati (USA) 4-6 6-1 7-6
How sweet this was. At the time, the boards were Venus vs. JC fans and it was sweet vindication for Venus to win "her" title saving so many matchpoints. Simply unbelievable. Great saves on countless match points that Jennifer just watched with her mouth open. Another great job by Venus :)

cartmancop
Jan 14th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Though i didn't see it - i've head rave reviews about the USO Semi win over Mauresmo in 2002.

Venus def. Mauresmo W 6-3, 5-7, 6-4

Now not quite a come back, but i believe an intense match!

Oh I remember that one too:) I think @ the very end Vee was serving for it & got down like 0-40 before reeling off 5 straight points to take the match... I think that was that match, someone please correct me if I'm thinking of another :lol:

Simplicity
Jan 14th, 2006, 05:31 AM
The only match i've seen of those four (unfortunately) is the Wimbledon final.

How much space do i have to talk about it? Venus came out, and clearly was not at her best, going down 5-2 in that first set. She was playing a grade lower than she did when she came out to play the blonde giraffe (a match that should have been 6-3, 6-1). But Venus wanted it, and she wanted it bad. She's waited a long time to be in a slam final (her favortie). She fought, as good as anyone on the WTA. Down a set a break, when davenport came out to serve for the match, she played some unbelievable shots, refusing to go down. Davenport had to take this from her.

She kept on battling, saving championship point in the gurelling process. Some argue lindsay was seriously injured - but anyone with two brain cells who saw that match knows she was striking the ball as well as at any point in the match. She went up a break after treatment (thinking time) did she not?

Venus many many ties in that match looked on the brink of defeat - but she showed nerves of steele and unimaginable desire - and it payed off. She saw off some terrifyingly aggressive tennis from Davenport in that last game and sat back on her throne. Inspite of all the heartache and disappointment, she more than made up for it with that victory. Doubters sand haters alike .... silenced.

I could go on forever about this match - but dear lord it's almost 4am!

Same Here :sad:

Simplicity
Jan 14th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Oh I remember that one too:) I think @ the very end Vee was serving for it & got down like 0-40 before reeling off 5 straight points to take the match... I think that was that match, someone please correct me if I'm thinking of another :lol:
You're VERy correct! :kiss: She was serving down 0-40, and classic Venus came up with the huge serves when it mattered :)

WF4EVER
Jan 14th, 2006, 05:43 AM
I agree with your choices but I find it hard to rank them because I can't decide if Venus coming back from 8 match points is bigger than the way she won 2005 Wimbledon, but all the matches you've listed would certainly make my top five.

Nicest thread I've seen for a few days, actually.

Simplicity
Jan 14th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Thanks! I completely agree with your comment btw! I really couldn't rank them! I never saw the Vee def. Cappy match, but the score-line and match points saved speaks for itself. Vee def. Linz, is the best match I have ever seen, PERIOD.

LucasArg
Jan 14th, 2006, 05:56 AM
I remember the final vs Capriati at Miami, great match!:)

venus_rulez
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:12 AM
The Capriati match was brilliant if only because I knew Venus wouldn't win it. Me and my older sister kept saying as the championship points went by that Capriati had to win it because there wasn't enough time left in the coverage for Venus to break, hold serve, and then break again. When she kept coming back and then eventually won, it was all me and my sister could talk about for days. I don't think anything beats the Wimbledon final though. I always say that I think Serena is the best at playing good when she needs to and venus did just that in this match. Her determination and guts all the times she was down was just breath taking to see. I hope she brings that same mindset to the Australian Open.

venusfan
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Here are mine:

5) Venus Williams def. Martina Hingis (USA) 4-6 6-3 7-5 :worship:

1) Venus Williams def. Jennifer Capriati (USA) 4-6 6-1 7-6 :kiss:

5) I WAS AT THE MATCH.. US Open 2000 Semifinals. It was Awesome because I was a member of the press and chat with her in the interview room after the match. It was just a great match, I remember when Venus fell and someone yelled out "get up girl" and she got up and won the point.

4) Amelia Island Final I cant remember the year off the top of my head but Venus was just playing like a dog. I think Venus was down something like 0-4 in the 2nd set and out of nowhere Venus started playing better and better. The 3rd set was the same.. very long match and it was great.

3) '97 US Open, What can I say. I wasn't interested in tennis until Venus did her run in the Open. It was just a nice match, not as great as the others though but Venus reaction at the end was and is one of a kind.

2) This should be #1, I have DVD of this match if anyone needs.

1) Capriati just knew she was the winner.. how can u blow 8 match points. Go Capriati.

Simplicity
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Omg! Omg! Omg!! VenusFan, will you please send it to me??!!!! :D!!! :o

Simplicity
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM
I hope I'm not asking for too much :o :shrug:

Hots4Safin
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:37 AM
with everything riding on the line,

USO over MArtina and WB over Lindsay. Those had the most riding on them...Venus couldn't lose to Martina again at the USO and with Lindsay it was all about breaking that drought. Both matches were "I have to prove" type matches. Makes for the best.

serenafan08
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:43 AM
All of those matches were unbelievable.
5) It's 3-5 in the third set and 15/30. Can you believe that backhand winner she hit off of Martina's overhead!?? That really shot down any chance that Martina had to win it.

4) I gotta say this - Justine was still a choker in this match. She didn't know how to close it out against the top players here. That said, it was still a great fight from Venus. She was down like 2-5 in the second set and almost the same (3-5 I think) in the third, and still found a way to win it.

3) The "bump" on the change-over! :lol: Venus was just a kid in this match, and even then she showed her competitive spirit. She saved a couple of match points in the tiebreak - including one with a backhand DTL that barely stayed on the line. Amazing.

2) This was the best Wimbledon final in a good 20 years!!! The competition and fight from both players was off the charts. Such a great storyline too: Lindsay about to retire, reaching for that one last blast at a Grand Slam - while Venus is trying to prove that she's still a threat in the women's game. It was great!

1) OMG - Capriati will have nightmares about this one!! She's never beaten Venus, and this was her best chance. I'm sure Venus had some revenge in mind because Jennifer had beaten Serena in the quarterfinals at the same tournament. But it was another classic display of Venus's character.

cometz9
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Although the match was not important as the ones listed, i would put the 2005 Stanford SF where she def. Patty 2-6 7-6 6-2 saving 5 or 6 mps as a great comeback :worship:

vwfan
Jan 14th, 2006, 03:35 PM
The U.S. Open 2000 SF against Hingis was one of the all time bests. I was in the stands; Venus was clearly outplaying Hingis, but was making too many unforced errors. She was running everything down, though. But she had not completely learned how to be selectively agressive. Still, I was hoarse for days after than match and Venus said in the post match interview: It was like I had wheels on my legs. She was in the U.S. Open Final and after beating Hingis who had ended her runs twice before at the U.S. Open. Davenport didn't stand a chance in that final.

Capriati was just insane, because everyone was still debating who was better in 2001. Venus had never lost to Capriati and it looked as though she was about to go down in Miami, a tournament that she had dominated! Venus never seemed to lose composure.

The same against Henin, who should have won that match as she was playing much better for most of the match, but Venus just snatched it away. It was not as significant a match in tennis history, but reaffirmed that Henin was not yet ready to beat a player of the caliber of Venus Willams.

Now Wimbledon 2005 is the tournament of dreams of Venus Williams fans. Wimbledon is home turf for her. She had been cheated out of advancing in the tournament the year before; she was seeded 14 and had not been playing well against any of the top players. In the process of winning the tournament she beat the RG runner-up, the defending Champ and the world #1, who had beaten her 3 straight times. And the final, well, that was sheer guts and determination.

Let's hope the Aus Open brings us more great memories.

Geisha
Jan 14th, 2006, 03:43 PM
5. Munich '99 - Venus Williams def. Martina Hingis 6-2, 6-7, 9-7
I never saw this match, but I've hard that Venus needed to play extreme clutch tennis to win. Hingis was up 4-1 and served for the match at 5-4 in the final set, but Venus turned it around. She hit 18 aces, 12 double faults, and 56 unforced errors during this match! Some huge numbers.

4. US Open '00 - Venus Williams def. Martina Hingis 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
Down 3-5 15-30 in the final set. To go up two matchpoints, all Hingis had to do was hit a pretty easy overhead, but she didn't spank it enough and Venus hit that incredible passing shot - I mean, ultimate clutch tennis from the Queen in this match. Even against Davenport in the Finals, she was down 1-4 in the first set and she revamped her game and won.

3. Amelia Island '02 - Venus Williams def. Justine Henin 2-6, 7-5, 7-6
Wow! These match featured some great rallies and some dramatic moments. Both players had moments where they played like dogs. Venus was down 0-4 in the second set and 3-5 in the third set and was able to handle her nerves and beat Justine on her favourite surface. Great match!

2. Wimbledon '05 - Venus Williams def. Lindsay Davenport 4-6, 7-6, 9-7
I mean, what can we say. Down a set and a break, Venus breaks Davenport to love. Right after, in the tiebreak, Venus plays such incredible tennis - I think of like, seven points she won during this stretch, she hit six winners. In the third set, down 4-5, she saved that matchpoint. Then, she was down 15-30 at 6-7, I believe, and won the most amazing rally ever with a forehand crosscourt angled winner, that just barely knicked the line. Wow!

1. Miami '01 - Venus Williams def. Jennifer Capriait 4-6, 6-1, 7-6
I remember where I was during this match - thank God I taped it. Anyways, there was a line call and Jennifer raised her hands in triumph after one point, just to hear that it was the wrong call. Anyways, eight matchpoints and Venus showed classic clutch tennis and mental dominance. She would spank her later in the year, as well.

Geisha
Jan 14th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I don't know if I consider the '97 US Open semifinal, a true comeback. I mean, I have the match on tape and she did come back from 6-4 down in the tiebreak, but that was it. She won two points. In other matches, she won two or three games and came back. Nevertheless, that backhand down the line passing shot was one of the greatest ever witnessed.

tucker1989
Jan 14th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I loved the Amelia Island match vs. Justine! Venus needed like 3 or 4 match points to close it out, but her reaction after the match was pure joy! So fun to watch!!!

Cat's Pajamas
Jan 14th, 2006, 04:31 PM
a truly inspirational one was the Venus Clijsters WB semi in 03! thats what my avatar was of. She came out crushed and then contemplating retirement Yetunde preepped her and came back unblievaly strong. It was a match that showed her heart. Although the quality was not mutual at the same time it was still great to watch!

pisces
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks,everyone?Some nice kind word"s.Thanks!

Simplicity
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks,everyone?Some nice kind word"s.Thanks!
No porblem! :wavey:

V-MAC
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:51 PM
a truly inspirational one was the Venus Clijsters WB semi in 03! thats what my avatar was of. She came out crushed and then contemplating retirement Yetunde preepped her and came back unblievaly strong. It was a match that showed her heart. Although the quality was not mutual at the same time it was still great to watch!

True, :worship: that match was just amazing. It was painful to watch coz it was obvious that Venus was in agony out there but in typical, classic Vee style, she managed to pull it out against the odds :eek: :bounce: But I agree that Wimbledon last year has to rate as her best comeback or even best match ever. It is the kind of stuff that fairytales are made of ;)

Simplicity
Jan 14th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Bump! :)

serenafan08
Jan 14th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I loved the Amelia Island match vs. Justine! Venus needed like 3 or 4 match points to close it out, but her reaction after the match was pure joy! So fun to watch!!!
Her post-match speech was hilarious!!! I remember she said, "Hopefully next year I can bring a girl named Serena down here with me." :haha: It was classic Venus! :hearts:

vwfan
Jan 14th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Her post-match speech was hilarious!!! I remember she said, "Hopefully next year I can bring a girl named Serena down here with me." :haha: It was classic Venus! :hearts:She was also very complimenary of Justine, saying that Justine was taking everybody out and she though she might be taken out, too. Then she laughed, of course. Vintage Venus again. :lol: