PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who says Hingis has no pressure on her is kidding themselves!

Hingie
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I've read quite a few posters write in threads that Martina has no pressure and all the pressure is on her opponents etc etc.

I actually think this is a crazy mentality! The fact of the matter is that her comeback has generated huge interest and quite frankly the general public does not have the tennis knowledge posters on this board do - they are not aware of game developments, the placement vs power arguments and everything this entails.

I actually think Martina has A LOT of pressure on her! Yes she is the one who took the risk to come back. She has indicated she wants to get back to the top (or near). The fact is that many people remember her record, youngest #1, 5 Slams etc and do expect results straight away. No one wants to see a champion struggle. Regardless of seedings, i think many believe she should beat most of the top 32 and to continue to battle it with her old foes in the top 10 but i'm just not sure how much time it is going to require for this to happen.

Dahveed
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:23 PM
What was that?

Marcus1979
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:23 PM
when is match fit watchout

remember it was like 3 years ago or so that she did retire

like all things it just takes time

Munchen
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:25 PM
:yawn:

I'm tired. :)

Dahveed
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:25 PM
What was that?

Sorry i meant, yes i agree with you.

Dahveed
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:26 PM
:yawn:

I'm tired. :)

Go to bed then.

diekedelver
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Is this one of those "already looking for excuses-threads" ? :shrug: :devil:

Hingie
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Is this one of those "already looking for excuses-threads" ? :shrug: :devil:

Whoa - nasty! ;)

No i just think that if i was in her position that i would feel immense pressure because of the hype surrounding the comeback and her position in tennis when she left the sport - that's all.

SelesFan70
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Of course she has pressure, but she's a seasoned champion who I'm sure can handle it.

Martian Stacey
Jan 14th, 2006, 12:45 AM
She definately has pressure on her, though i don't think that many expect her to come out and be able to beat the top players already.

pcrtennis
Jan 14th, 2006, 12:55 AM
I think there's more pressure on Zvonareva than hingis....there's not substantial pressure in my opinion because it's only her 3rd tourney back...

TonyP
Jan 14th, 2006, 01:39 AM
I think there is pressure on Hingis and I agree that people have high expectations of her. They probably don't expect her to win the AO or even make the final, but they expect some progress and by much later in the year, they will expect tourrnament victories and eventually for her to be back up there battling the Williams sisters, Lindsay, and the newer stars as well.

There is a mystic about Hingis and she will eventually have to live up to it at least somewhat or a lot of people will be disappointed. But comebacks are interesting, because they are hard to predict. Monica had the same kind of mystic and for awhile, it looked like she would return to her pre-stabbing glory. In fact, she did win one slam, the '96 AO, but only got to one other slam final. But she never lived up to past glory and people sort of divide her career into two sections, pre and post stabbing. Hingis was actually out a little longer than Monica, but the comeback problems are comparable, especially since Monica returned to find plenty of other up and coming players whose power matched her own and a few without power who could best her on a regular basis. Topping that list, of course, was Hingis.

Hingie
Jan 14th, 2006, 03:41 AM
I think there's more pressure on Zvonareva than hingis....there's not substantial pressure in my opinion because it's only her 3rd tourney back...

Why does Zvonareva have pressure on her? She's #30 seed - not top 10 or anything. She's playing a girl who has made the final of this event on 6 occasions. If Hingis wins, i don't think that many people will be surprised, i'm pretty sure the majority of the crowd at Rod Laver Arena will actually expect it. The pressure is on Hingis.

spencercarlos
Jan 14th, 2006, 04:02 AM
That is what i said in another thread. Hingis has not being a profesional tennis player for three years, and despite all of her talent, she is playing against tour players that should think that they must beat a non trained and not match tough Hingis.
If Hingis loses is normal, because of the rustiness.

spencercarlos
Jan 14th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Why does Zvonareva have pressure on her? She's #30 seed - not top 10 or anything. She's playing a girl who has made the final of this event on 6 occasions. If Hingis wins, i don't think that many people will be surprised, i'm pretty sure the majority of the crowd at Rod Laver Arena will actually expect it. The pressure is on Hingis.
You dont even know what are you talking about. Hingis supossed/expected to win against Vera? :lol:

Vincent
Jan 14th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Drawing a seeded a player is rather unlucky, but I have faith in Martina, she will eventually prevail in the match and keep on rolling in the next rounds.

*Keeping my fingers crossed*

:)

Volcana
Jan 14th, 2006, 04:13 AM
I've read quite a few posters write in threads that Martina has no pressure and all the pressure is on her opponents etc etc.

I actually think this is a crazy mentality! The fact of the matter is that her comeback has generated huge interest and quite frankly the general public does not have the tennis knowledge posters on this board do - they are not aware of game developments, the placement vs power arguments and everything this entails.

I actually think Martina has A LOT of pressure on her! Yes she is the one who took the risk to come back. She has indicated she wants to get back to the top (or near). The fact is that many people remember her record, youngest #1, 5 Slams etc and do expect results straight away. No one wants to see a champion struggle. Regardless of seedings, i think many believe she should beat most of the top 32 and to continue to battle it with her old foes in the top 10 but i'm just not sure how much time it is going to require for this to happen.How can I put this this without sounding like a total bitch. You're totally clueless, and have no concept of the realities of competition.

Okay, that wasn't it.

Still, look. HIngis does have some self-imposed pressure, but the reality is, the people who are aware of her accomplishments are also aware of why she was off the tour. If she makes the fourth round, most folks would consider it a BIG first step. They DON'T think she could beat most of the top 32. And anyone who DID believe that stopped after Gold Coast and Sydney. The expectation, the hope, is that she sticks it out for the year, and gives herself a REAL chance to compete.

There is ZERO pressure on her from outside. But a couple losses to players outside the top fifty could end her comeback fast. I only hope she's forgiving with herself.

kiwifan
Jan 14th, 2006, 04:15 AM
She's got no pressure right now.

Its nice if she wins and no big deal if she loses. :shrug:

She's on the comeback and everyone is rooting for her to do well.

Once the French rolls around we'll know if she can still "cut it" on the tour...

...and then she'll have real pressure on her. ;)

Hingie
Jan 14th, 2006, 05:28 AM
You dont even know what are you talking about. Hingis supossed/expected to win against Vera? :lol:

What is so crazy about that? I don't expect it but it wouldn't surprise me if many do. For a lot of Australians, they wouldn't have seen her at the Gold Coast and Sydney - sure there's been coverage but Melbourne is the Slam.

For those who do not adamantly follow tennis through the year, Vera is a no name - against the Martina Hingis, sure there are heaps who believe she should win this.

Volcana - i take your point but don't for a minute expect the level of tennis knowledge you carry is emulated through other tennis fans who may attend tournaments. We don't get a lot of tennis coverage here and i have no doubt that many Australians follow the summer circuit here and that is their fix for the year.

And... you could never sound like a bitch! :p