PDA

View Full Version : Henin-Hardenne's Greatest Hits: The Top 10!

Just_lindsay
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Over the years Justine has demonstrated steely nerves and a remarkable fighting spirit under pressure to come up with some fantastic victories.

Here I have compiled her 10 most remarkable comeback wins, going back chronologically from the present. Feel free to propose any additions/alterations:

1: 2006 Sydney Final
Henin-Hardenne def. Schiavone 4-6, 7-5, 7-5

2: 2005 French Open Fourth Round
Henin-Hardenne def. Kuznetsova 7-6, 4-6, 7-5

3: 2004 Athens Olympics Semifinal
Henin-Hardenne def. Myskina 7-5, 5-7, 8-6

4: 2003 US Open Semifinal
Henin-Hardenne def. Capriati 4-6, 7-5, 7-6

5: 2003 's Hertogensbosch Semifinal
Henin-Hardenne def. Petrova 5-7, 7-6, 6-3

6: 2003 French Open Semifinal
Henin-Hardenne def. S Williams 6-2, 4-6, 7-5

7: 2003 Berlin Final
Henin-Hardenne def. Clijsters 6-4, 4-6, 7-5

8: 2003 Dubai Final
Henin-Hardenne def. Seles 4-6, 7-6, 7-5

9: 2003 Dubai Semifinal
Henin-Hardenne def. Capriati 7-5, 4-6, 6-4

10: 2003 Australian Open Fourth Round
Henin-Hardenne def. Davenport 7-5, 5-7, 9-7

Although I prefer to see Justine annihilate the competition in straight sets, her most remarkable and impressive matches have been the ones where she was forced to come back from the brink of defeat. Hopefully she can bring this fighting spirit with her throughout the 2006 season. Allez :bounce:

K.U.C.W-R.V
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:09 PM
She sure makes a habit of getting herself involved in heartstopping matches. Its all a little too stressful for me though.

Like you I prefer the dominant, majestic Justine seen Thursday's Kuznetsova match, the matches against Sharapova on clay last year, against Schnyder at 2005 Berlin, in the Olympic final against Mauresmo, in the 2004 IW final against Davenport etc....

Helen Lawson
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Adrenline junkie!

thrust
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Thank God the match was played so late for me, here in Florida, so that I could not watch the results on the computer live scoring. This tournament^s live scoring was awful, by the way. Keep up the good fight Justine, stay healthy and just keep on WINNING!!

shap_half
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I would also add the 2003 YEC RR match against Myskina: Justine was down 0-5 in the first set and i believe 3-5 in the third set and was a couple of times two points away from losing.

Justine Henin-Hardenne d. Anastasia Myskina 7-5 5-7 7-5

RJWCapriati
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:27 PM
So many wonderful matches :)

Especially the 2003 U.S. Open Semi - Final with Capriati

Allez-H
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:27 PM
The best out of those matches is still the USO-semi :worship: followed closely by her Dubai victories

fer_86
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:31 PM
i rembember her match vs martinez in the 2001 final fed cup
:wavey:

Allez-H
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:35 PM
i rembember her match vs martinez in the 2001 final fed cup
:wavey:

oh I almost forgot about that one :lol: Down 5-1 in the third and then winning 6 games on a row :cool:

SJW
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:37 PM

this one is too highly valued :)

fer_86
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:37 PM
oh I almost forgot about that one :lol: Down 5-1 in the third and then winning 6 games on a row :cool:

poor conchita :sad:

Lady
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:41 PM
I would also add the 2003 YEC RR match against Myskina: Justine was down 0-5 in the first set and i believe 3-5 in the third set and was a couple of times two points away from losing.

No, she wasn't down a break in the 3rd, they were on serve all the time. Butshe was 2 points away from losing!

E. Blackadder
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I would order them differently but the main greatest hits are all there :hearts:

1: 2004 Athens Olympics Semifinal
Henin-Hardenne def. Myskina 7-5, 5-7, 8-6

2: 2005 French Open Fourth Round
Henin-Hardenne def. Kuznetsova 7-6, 4-6, 7-5

3: 2003 US Open Semifinal

4: 2003 Australian Open Fourth Round
Henin-Hardenne def. Davenport 7-5, 5-7, 9-7

5: 2003 Dubai Final
Henin-Hardenne def. Seles 4-6, 7-6, 7-5

RenaSlam.
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:45 PM
2003 US Open Semifinal

In terms of quality and excitement and atmosphere, this is one of the best women's matches of all-time. I have to give it up :worship:

*JR*
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM
IMO, the match that was Justine's "finishing school" was the loss to Venus in that Amelia Island final. Justine was up a set and (2 breaks, I think). Vee's power game was awful, so she switched to playing backboard tennis down (0-4 in the 2nd?) and won it in a TB, then the 3rd in a close set for the title. While the Waloon Wonder played into Vee's brilliant change in tactics (and frankly got schooled that day) her "sense of the game" grew a great deal.

K.U.C.W-R.V
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:57 PM
IMO, the match that was Justine's "finishing school" was the loss to Venus in that Amelia Island final. Justine was up a set and (2 breaks, I think). Vee's power game was awful, so she switched to playing backboard tennis down (0-4 in the 2nd?) and won it in a TB, then the 3rd in a close set for the title. While the Waloon Wonder played into Vee's brilliant change in tactics (and frankly got schooled that day) her "sense of the game" grew a great deal.

As a Justine fan that was a truly horrifying match to watch. It was like a slow very painful death. Venus was playing terrible, Justine was playing awesome, then gradually it all went badly downhill. When she was caught from 4-1 up in the 2nd set I knew it was already over.

I think you may have a point though, Since the start of '03 Justine does to others what Venus did to her that day. Human backboard to allow the opposition to choke on a lead, then as confidence returns she starts to become more aggressive against an opponent that is starting to fall apart under the pressure.

Spunky83
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:57 PM
And I still havenīt seen the Athens match...out of all matches!!! I am sure Justine will come up with similar scorelines pretty soon. What is Justine without coming back from 1-5 down in the third set?

Spunky83
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:59 PM
2003 US Open Semifinal

In terms of quality and excitement and atmosphere, this is one of the best women's matches of all-time. I have to give it up :worship:

In fact it was the best I have watched on tv in 2003 - not only in sports but overall :worship:

isabel_aussie
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:08 PM
It was a very good match that one. I couldn't be a Justine fan though, I think the terror would be too much for me! ;)

Joana
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:09 PM
In fact it was the best I have watched on tv in 2003 - not only in sports but overall :worship:

It was something special. I fell asleep that night :tape: , and when I woke up the next day I saw the score on teletext. Still, I decided to watch the match and at least a dozen times I though that they had got the score wrong and that Jennifer had won. I jumped up and down in front of my TV even though it wasn't live and I knew who won!

Allez-H
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:09 PM

Eventhough Justine lost that match I really enjoyed the match and I knew Justine would learn much of it and guess that was the case

Allez-H
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:12 PM
2003 US Open Semifinal

Yeah, I got a couple of heart-attacks that match :lol: But what happened that night was indeed special and i don't have a second of regret that I skipped my night for it (adrenaline was still there hours after the match, just couldn't sleep ;) )

Sam L
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Imagine you're a die-hard Justine fan with heart disease. :eek: Not good.

Marshmallow
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Can someone - anyone upload the Justine V Capriati 2003 USO match. I never saw it, and feel like i have missed on - on some kind of life changing, historical event the way people talk about it.

I KNOW people have it. Please please please. I have to see it.

Spunky83
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Imagine you're a die-hard Justine fan with heart disease. :eek: Not good.

Life as a Justine-fan is definetly not easy...thatīs for sure. We were already wondering about her easy straight sets matches this week so itīs nearly a relief having seen that finals score today :lol:

Drake1980
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:02 PM
OMG, looking at that, that is really amazing!

gentenaire
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:13 PM
The Conchita match is the first one that came to mind because I remember being so worked up over it. I stopped watching when she was 5-1 down in the third, because I couldn't bear it. I was convinced Justine had lost, switched off TV and went shopping. On the way back I heard on the radio that she'd won. I couldn't believe it.

However, if I had to rank them, I'd put the Aus Open match against Lindsay on the number one spot because I believe that match was the turning point for Justine. Until that match (apart from that Fed Cup match, that is), she was known as the worst possible choker. So many jokes have been made about Justine's choking, in the lockerroom threads, in other threads. That Amelia Island match JR mentioned is a good example.
Then there was that dramatic match against Lindsay, where she battled through cramps and managed to win after all. And after that, she was a choker no more.

I still think it's rather ironic that Justine's now known as one of the most mentally tough players out there, whereas only a few years ago she was nicknamed the choker all the time.

thrust
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Sam L - Funny but true, thakfully, My heart is in good shape!! Sorry I did not see the The Athen^s match against Myskina, though perhaps my heart would have had some trouble with that one-LOL!!

treufreund
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Also her defeat in three sets of CAPRIATI in year 2000 I believe at Wimbledon in the semifinals was pretty phenomenal.

-VSR-
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:19 PM

:tape: :bigwave:

:haha:

Marcus1979
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I liked her match Vs Davenport at AO in 2003 :)
that was a good match

flyingmachine
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:29 PM
The best out of those matches is still the USO-semi :worship:
This is my favrouite match too. :hearts:
This is why I love Justine soooooooooooooo much. She is a such fighter who never gives up. :worship: And I have a lot of respect for her on that alone. :bowdown:

Justine fan forever :rocker2:

mauresmofan
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Can someone - anyone upload the Justine V Capriati 2003 USO match. I never saw it, and feel like i have missed on - on some kind of life changing, historical event the way people talk about it.

I KNOW people have it. Please please please. I have to see it.

I can tell you that that match was simply outstanding. It is to tennis what the Shawshank Redemption is to films - a modern day classic!

Hingiswinsthis
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:40 PM

I can't believe Justine has made Mykina cry on and off the court for losing for 2 matches! Poor Anastasia....(YEC 03 and Athens 04).

diekedelver
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I can tell you that that match was simply outstanding. It is to tennis what the Shawshank Redemption is to films - a modern day classic!

Absolutely agree, simply one of the best tennismatches I've ever seen (the tension OMG) :o