PDA

View Full Version : Can Elena Dementieva Capitalize On A Dream AO Draw

pierce0415
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:00 PM
People are saying Patty Schnyder's draw is the easiest and that she is the biggest beneficiary of the draw but she has solid players like Eleni Danillidou, Shinobu Asagoe, Shahar Peer etc. in her opening rounds and then a healthy and rested Myskina in round of 16. If anyone got an EASY draw, it is Dementieva. I mean, just look at this section:

(9) E.Dementieva vs. J.Schruff
(Q) vs. E.Vesnina
(Q) vs. (Q)
J.Craybas vs. (23) J.Jankovic
(29) K.Koukalova vs. E.Bychkova
M.E.Camerin vs. (Q)
(Q) vs. M.Muller
S.Ferguson vs. (6) N.Petrova

FIVE QUALIFIERS. Schruff who Elena should be able to blast off the court in 1R. Vesnina - never heard of her. Journeywomen Craybas. Jankovic who has not played all year. Harmless players like Koukalova, Bychkova, Camerin, Muller, Aussie WC Ferguson and injured Nadia :o

No dangerous floaters. Besides Nadia, no players that have ever made it to QF of a slam, or even R16 if you don't include Craybas' freak defeat of Serena. If Elena D does not make quarters with this cupcake draw, she should retire :confused:But then she has an injured Maria or injured Serena. So she should be favorite to win the 2nd quarter.

Martyś
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:04 PM
So she should be favorite to win the 2nd quarter.

I don't think that she is a favourite in this quater. Injuries of Maria and Serena are not as hard as most of people think. Younger Williams is always hard opponent in Australia, Sharapova was playing better than Dementieva who was without injury in the end of 05 year. So you know, :rolleyes:

udachi Elena
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:28 PM
hardly an easy draw.

UDACHi
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I will agree that Elena's draw is easy but she isn't exactly going to be killing the lower ranked players 61 60 that often. If Elena can play solid, she could probably go deep. But her three setters tend to get her in trouble with the heat so I guess you really can't predict what will happen. I'm just going to hope that she plays well and scores some nice wins.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM
She has the exact same record at AO as Wimbledon.
She hasn't been able to take Aussie Janurary summer. I don't see it happening in '06.

bellascarlett
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Her 1/8 part of the draw is probably the weakest but I just hope she's there to meet Maria in quarters...:D

No Name Face
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:44 PM
she should do well. i do think it's easy myself. her u.s open draw was hard in '04 and she made the final...i hope she just capitalizes on an easy draw. she can beat sharapova and petrova easily if she's on...and could make the semis. i just hope she can handle the heat this year

vogus
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:04 PM
not so easy.

Julia Schruff is not a cupcake 1st round. Vesnina is a dangerous new Russian player still unknown to most members of this board. Jankovic on her form of the first half of '05 would be extremely dangerous. And Petrova has dominated the H2H against Lena.

©@®eLess
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM
plus Jankovic had a dementieva breakfast in 2004 AO first round. Was it 4 and 1?

UDACHi
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:51 PM
plus Jankovic had a dementieva breakfast in 2004 AO first round. Was it 4 and 1?

61 64, but don't hold me to my word.

Ballbasher
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Julia won´t be that problem(probably),but Vesnina has the power to beat her

Nicjac
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Julia is a good player, but not if it comes to the top 20.

jfk
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM
This section is so weak that I predict a qualifier may come through to the quarters. I could easily picture someone like Ashley Harkleroad, Su-Wei Hsieh, Ryoko Fuda, or Viktoria Azarenka making it through, especially if Petrova goes down with injury. Dementieva is so flaky that she's guaranteed to have a match go the distance. Those 4 qualifiers I named would not be huge underdogs to any of the unseeded players in that section.

Knizzle
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Why would Elena be favored over Petrova???

Sammm
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Why would Elena be favored over Petrova???

Exactly

pierce0415
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Exactly

because Nadia is injured :rolleyes:
and also because Elena D has more Grand Slam big match experience :D

Sammm
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:57 PM
because Nadia is injured :rolleyes:
and also because Elena D has more Grand Slam big match experience :D

I'd still favour Nadia because even if she is injured, she's been so consistent over the past year and confident after having finally won a title.
I like both players anyway :)

BoucharDRules
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Elena had good draws in every grand slam last year and found a way out of it each time. :rolleyes: But I don't think her section is particularly easy, especially if you look ahead to the QF.

DEETHELICK
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I'm not looking that far ahead with Elena, the first round (and first week) can be a trial.

When we get into the 2nd week, I like Elena's chances better as she is grooved and ready to go.

Last year she was up 7-6 4-0 and still found a way to lose. She needs to concentrate during the heat. Its her ability to cope with the heat and continue that will determine her success in the first week.

Second week its about the opposition.

Zauber
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Dementieva does not have an easy draw she has to go through.
Jankovic,Petrova, and Sharapova to get to the semi.

miffedmax
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:56 PM
The draw is irrelevant with the Golden Goddess.

No top 10 player is as capable of losing to an unknown, or of taking out a big name.

If Lena can get hot at the right time, survive the heat, and catch a break, she can win. But isn't that true of any player in the Top 15?

darrinbaker00
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:02 PM
The draw is irrelevant with the Golden Goddess.

No top 10 player is as capable of losing to an unknown, or of taking out a big name.

If Lena can get hot at the right time, survive the heat, and catch a break, she can win. But isn't that true of any player in the Top 15?
Elena will break the Australian Open record for aces in a single match and the entire tournament. MARK MY WORDS!! :bounce: :bounce:

Marcus1979
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:09 PM
we have to remember just because its a easy draw it does not guarantee Elena a position in the Semis

I have seen her lose to players before that she should beta easily.

it depends what Elena turns up

she may make a semi or a final or loose first round

it all depends