PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Venus is more like Chanda and Serena is more like Alex?

martinailuv
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM
of the two sisters venus is my favourite. i think it's cos venus is always classy in the same way chanda is classy. i don't fancy serena that much cos she can be a bit self-absorbed like alex.

Marcus1979
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I thought u were comparing careers at first when I read the thread :lol:

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:19 AM
i dont think they are alike at all

TomTennis
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:39 AM
i dont think they look alike, act alike, or share any similarities what so ever, apart from the fact that they are american.

stupid thread.

Infiniti2001
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:22 PM
STUPID Thread!!! :rolleyes:

martinailuv
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:23 PM
i dont think they look alike, act alike, or share any similarities what so ever, apart from the fact that they are american.

stupid thread.

actually, it was the thread where venus said kind things about martina that made me think of how similar in personality venus is to chanda. they're both so classy. :)

martinailuv
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:24 PM
STUPID Thread!!! :rolleyes:

that's your opinion. 28 others didn't think so. :wavey:

Steffica Greles
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Why have you only chosen black women? I mean, I suppose there is a lot of comparison between white blondes on this board, so I'm not suggesting any sinister intent or undertone here...but still, there are only 4 black women and you've picked all four. Two black people can be as different as two white people.

Venus and Chanda are totally different people. Chanda is a professional and a genuine, nice person - or that's how she comes across.

Venus comes across as self-absorbed (a Williams trait), aloof, narcissistic (another Williams trait) but at the same time she has a philosophical side that Serena doesn't have, and a lot more restraint. She also has a tendency to brag, which, dare I say it, is an American trait. To British people who like to be self-deprecating, I'm afraid it's vulgar. Although I suspect in Venus' case some of it comes from her roots, where the "don't let them tell us we're not good enough" mantra has been passed down the generations.

To be fair, like her sister Venus seems like she prefers to focus on the positives and dismiss the negatives, both in her general outlook and in the way she sees other people, which I like. She prefers to say positive things about people and I do detect that if you know her, she's a very kind and loving person.

Serena's ego is even bigger than her butt, to put it bluntly. She has the same philosophy as Venus, probably inculcated by her father, that she can do anything if she puts her mind to it. And who can criticise that? Me? I don't think so. God I wish I was like that some times.
But Serena, in my opinion, as a result of all these distractions has no concept of where her real talent lies, and because of that she will quite possibly never get the best out of her tennis career. Like her sister, although to an even greater extreme, she's very seduced by the allure of celebrity and being photographed, almost in order to raise her value as a person. I don't see a philosphical side to Serena, only one of "I can do anything, I'm the best, I'm beyond criticism".

On a more positive note, like her elder sister I can see that she prefers to say positive things about people, she's highly intelligent (even if I feel she misuses her brains) and probably a very kind, warm, upbeat person to be around when you're not feeling too good.

Alex Stevenson, meanwhile, is a complete nutter. Totally self-absorbed, raised to believe she's a diva, and basically a spoilt brat who's never been told a few home truths. I remember watching one of her practice sessions. She spent the whole time being fed balls into the middle of the court which were basically put-aways. She wacked the living daylights out of the balls and then proceeded to serve a series of balls well in excess of 100mph. There were no rallies, or fitness training or tactical advice, and no interaction with the other players. I thought that was symbolic of what seems to have been her upbringing: she's fed the shots she likes to hit in order to boost her ego, so that she can believe she has more power and talent than she's ever proved to be a reality.

martinailuv
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Why have you only chosen black women? I mean, I suppose there is a lot of comparison between white blondes on this board, so I'm not suggesting any sinister intent or undertone here...but still, there are only 4 black women and you've picked all four. Two black people can be as different as two white people.

when i thought of the classiness of venus the first player that came to mind who is just as classy is chanda.

when i though of the self-absorbed nature of serena the first player that came to mind who is just as self-absorbed is alex.

i reckon if they were all white you wouldn't have even asked about the comparison.

Foot_Fault
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Ignorant ass Thread!

Steffica Greles
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:51 PM
when i thought of the classiness of venus the first player that came to mind who is just as classy is chanda.

when i though of the self-absorbed nature of serena the first player that came to mind who is just as self-absorbed is alex.

i reckon if they were all white you wouldn't have even asked about the comparison.

Well I did say that there are too many blondes compared in a really pointless way, so yes I would have asked.

It's just that there aren't too many black players, and for some reason you chose probably the four most prominent. There are similarities, given that two are sisters, 3 are around the same age and have been friendly, and of course all 3 are from African-American roots.

But still, I'm sure Serena is more comparable to a great many white players than she is to Alex, or even to Venus. Chanda is completely different from all 3. And unfortunately I think Alex is like quite a few white people in Hollywood and the entertainment business.

These comparisons between players because of their ages or colour or hair colour are both harmless and inevitable to a certain extent, but rather silly at the same time.

Stamp Paid
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Serena is classy too. I guess you missed her Hingis comments 2 weeks ago.

kabuki
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM
*sigh*

Infiniti2001
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:05 PM
actually, it was the thread where venus said kind things about martina that made me think of how similar in personality venus is to chanda. they're both so classy. :)

Oh for God's sake!! Venus has always said nice things about her fellow players, you just weren't paying attention :rolleyes:

dreamgoddess099
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:08 PM
of the two sisters venus is my favourite. i think it's cos venus is always classy in the same way chanda is classy. i don't fancy serena that much cos she can be a bit self-absorbed like alex.
In that case, you shouldn't like yourself because you're even more self-absorbed than Serena. :rolleyes: Anyway, Serena is nothing like Alex, she actually has a reason to be so confident.

Shonami Slam
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:25 PM
that's almost racist.
so what if all 4 are african-american?
:rolleyes:
you don't ask if flipkens is more like henin or clijsters or if sharapova is like panova or likhovtseva, do you?

Infiniti2001
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:28 PM
that's almost racist.
you don't ask if flipkens is more like henin or clijsters or if sharapova is like panova or likhovtseva, do you?

Some people just don't think before posting. Then again "many" already have their minds made up :shrug:

martinailuv
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:33 PM
that's almost racist.

did you not read my last post? :rolleyes:

Steffica Greles
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:34 PM
that's almost racist.

But how many young blonde women are compared with Kournikova? Or compared with each other? How many oriental players are compared with one another? Both examples are based on players' appearances. And if you have black skin, it's your appearance, your skin colour, that you're noticed by. Where's the distinction?

And, lol, how many white British players (because they're crap) are compared?

Lastly, how many women are compared with men? Graf was never compared with Sampras. Hingis hasn't really ever been said to be a Federer. And Sam Smith was never Tim Henman (even though she looked like him);) . My point is that once again, we compare people within categories - in this case gender categories. And we determine someone's gender by their appearance, don't we?

I've said already that this is a silly thread, but I don't think it's "racist" because I don't see any sinister intent for a start, and secondly if we're to scrutinize the way that black people are portrayed and analysed, then we'll draw facile conclusions unless we put it into a wider context as I've shown above.

martinailuv
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:37 PM
where did i even make reference to their colour? :confused:

Steffica Greles
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:40 PM
where did i even make reference to their colour? :confused:

You didn't. And as I've said, I don't think you meant anything by it. I was just pointing out that the four were all black and it was more than just a coincidence.

G_Slammed
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Here's an idea. Why don't all the whytefolk in here just SHUT THE F*CK UP. Thanxs, see ya 'round. Bye.

Bounty Hunter
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; martinailuv only gargled.

Shonami Slam
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:38 PM
But how many young blonde women are compared with Kournikova? Or compared with each other? How many oriental players are compared with one another? Both examples are based on players' appearances. And if you have black skin, it's your appearance, your skin colour, that you're noticed by. Where's the distinction?

And, lol, how many white British players (because they're crap) are compared?

Lastly, how many women are compared with men? Graf was never compared with Sampras. Hingis hasn't really ever been said to be a Federer. And Sam Smith was never Tim Henman (even though she looked like him);) . My point is that once again, we compare people within categories - in this case gender categories. And we determine someone's gender by their appearance, don't we?

I've said already that this is a silly thread, but I don't think it's "racist" because I don't see any sinister intent for a start, and secondly if we're to scrutinize the way that black people are portrayed and analysed, then we'll draw facile conclusions unless we put it into a wider context as I've shown above.

It's a very good reply, and it almost does the trick - but there are much more Oriental players on tour in the top level and sometimes thier game style IS actually simuler since they are trained at youth in a cetain, simuler way - see the double handed grip on both sides for example.
in the same way you have alot of single handed italians and frenchwoman - because these are nations that are known for thier technique styles.
the fact that most of Japanese players hit extremelly flat balls has something to do with thier race (country, that is) since they are all part of a group.
In the case of Kournikova - it's not always her race - it's beauty standards in the modern world.
She was high, Blonde, smiley and had a model type body. she was considered beautiful to start with, but it was her approuch to the media that boomed the tennis world. she was a star without neccesserily having game (which she DID have, of course - but she was hyped because of her flirting attitude, her famous doubles partner and her openess to the world of publicity)
"The search for a new Kournikova" is really saying "the search for a star with the western-type beauty that is sexy, flirtish and appealing to the crowds in manner" - but saying "kournikova" is way shorter, and much less sexist.
additionally - she brought some sort of tennis wave - yes, there were russians before her - but she brought it into concensus (sp) along Boris Yeltzin, the great tennis fan and Russian president. and still - gradually, the search is getting limited to "great playing hot blonde". to many players are great with the media, and a new something unique and special is required.
As for the british players - they have had past success yet cannot make it happen again.
Just like the Argentines had Sabatini that was so much better than the rest - so are the British girls playing against old time players and compared to them, because they are not enough players with enough of a history as, say the Americans throughout the past decade. you can compare any youngster to dozens of top100 other Americans, but your'e very limited in top Brits of the last decade.
We in Israel have the Same problem - Mosindrof, out greatest ever male tennis player, was such a rare case, that evryone is going to be looking up to him and compared in a way.
but this is a case of tennis history - not race.
and as for men and woman comparsion - today, players from all 6 continents are playing within the top100 in wtatour and grand slam level. true, some continents still haven't bloomed as well as others - but the theoritical oppurtunity is there for all men and women - Black, White, Latin, Gay, Straight, Rich, Poor (to a point - the world is still not perfect - but look at mary gambale for instance) and more. but men and women have had thier differences for much more than caucasian and africans (later on african american), White with Far eastern cultures and others. Women were degraded by men pretty early in the history of "man"kind.
But today - we are reaching SOME equality. we are also aware that it's not that all humans are the same - we have our differences, and that's why sometimes we test people differently.
just like a dislexic person couldn't compete with a non-dislexic person in a spelling bee - Woman can't fairly compete with men in most sports, especially phisical ones - thus, They are generally seperated into different leagues in most sports.
and yet there CAN and ARE comparsions between them.
just a few days ago here on general messages there was a debate regarding Henin's backhand against the men's leading players with the same shot.
Sharapova is talked about having a sampras like serve, and I've heard a commentator saying Kuznetsova and Davydenko hit the same sort of inside-out forehand.
Navratilova WAS compared to bjorn borge (sp?) and there WERE comparsions between some players - but obviously it's easier to refer to other of the same sex as thier natural abbilities are of more simularity.
and finally - to explain my original opinion:
there is no connection, non what so ever between Alex Stevenson's game, style and attitude to that of Venus Williams, and there are even greater differences between the quiet, humble Chanda Rubin and the Diva-like Serena Williams, which manipulates the press beautifully and reveals plenty of charecter - not to mention having her own reality show.
no - there are no connections between these two given pairs.
nothing, apart thier skin, that is.
and that - IMO is almost degrading of the fight against Racism.
all along - it was never about getting equal rights elsewhere and having seperate groups and communities - the cival rights movements always wished for acceptance, harmony and mixed world, enjoying each other to the max.
putting Gibson, Williams, Rubin, Stevenson, Jackson, Washiington and other african-american tennis players into a seperate group, automaticly assuming they have immidiate simularities - imo, is still letting colour be the first category selecting.

that was a bit long.

AkademiQ
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:40 PM
What is this, the battle between the house and field slave? Typical thread, not surprising from a Martina fan ironically trying to compare and judge players on class when their favorite lacks totally lacks it.