PDA

View Full Version : Grand Slams - How tough should the draw be?

go hingis
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:16 AM
The first grand slam or 2006 is here and everyone is complaining how tough the draw is. So I wanted to see what kind of draw everyone's expecting at grandslams.

The past few years most grandslams have not had most or all the top women in the draw. Everyone complained, now that their all in the draw everyone's complaining how tough it is.

IMO a grandslam should be a tough draw, people are complaining of meetings in the quarters of top players. The quarters going by seeding should be the top 8 in the world, I for one am expecting tough matches. especially at grandslams and especially from the quarter's.

venus_rulez
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Of course a slam should be tough, but it's also supposed to be balanced. For lack of a better word, it's not fair that Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Justine, and Maria have to all fight and beat each other, while Kim gets a notorious choker who just lost her first match of the year. Though to be honest, if The Williams Sisters played enough, this wouldn't be so lopsided cause they'd be seeded in the top 8, instead of Petrova and Schynder.

go hingis
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:25 AM
I did start typing is the problem with the rankings of players we think should be higher and forgot to add it.

ceiling_fan
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:25 AM
My opinion is... everything venus_rulez said! well said!

go hingis
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:26 AM
and we also have less respect/fans or hope for afew of the top players.

Junex
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:59 AM
My opinion is... everything venus_rulez said! well said!

I third it!!!! :angel:

K-Dog
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:11 AM
I think that 4 quarters should be made, but then the 3rd and 4th quarters hould be placed best to balance the draw. That is kind of far-fetched, but whatev.

Another way would do what every other damn sport does and screw the random draw and do standard brackets. That way the best player gets the lowest seed and the lower seeds get seeds closer to their seeding.

I mean the rd of 16 would be if I did it the second way:

(1) Davenport vs. (16) Vaidisova
(8) Henin-Hardenne vs. (9) Dementieva
(5) Pierce vs. (12) Myskina
(4) Sharapova vs. (13) S. Williams

(3) Mauresmo vs. (14) Kuznetsova
(6) Petrova vs. (11) Dechy
(7) Schnyder vs. (10) V. Williams
(2) Clijsters vs. (15) Schiavone

This way would be the most fair and it would award players with higher seedings. The sides would be more balanced and it would seem like a player from either side would have to play great to get through, unlike the bottom half this year.

LH2HBH
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:43 AM
The fact that great players are meeting in R16 and in Quarters is a testament to how deep the field is

John.
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Well said Venus rulez