PDA

View Full Version : AO luck of the draw: Biggest winner - Patty, Biggest loser - Lindsay

vogus
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Davenport is the top seed, and to the reach the final, she'll need to beat

4R) Sveta
QF) Justine/Venus
SF) Masha/Serena/Lena

A horrible draw. Linds would have been better off being seeded 21st than 1st.

on the other extreme, #7 seed Patty's draw has no dangerous floaters in the early rounds, then Myskina in 4R who won't make it there, then Momo in QF.

If Kim isn't healthy, then the bottom half collapses entirely and leaves only Patty, Momo, and Pierce.

DragonFlame
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:45 AM
yup, this is bad.... i'm pumped to pray even more for a player from the tophalf to win the tournament.

pcrtennis
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Schnyder either has to play Peer or Asagoe in the second round...they don't count as dangerous floaters??? What???

hablo
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:47 AM
In that case, I hope Patty, Momo, Nastya or Kim win it all :hearts::bounce:

Ferosh
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Schnyder has a dangerous first match. If she wins she will have a dangerous second match. Not looking good.

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Actually Patty doesn't have an easy draw.

1st Danillidou
2nd Peer
3rd Dulko
4th Myskina
QF Mauresmo
SF Kim
F Doesn't Matter

Patty will be lucky to make 4th round, if that's what you mean by lucky draw.

hingis-seles
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:51 AM
In that case, I hope Patty, Momo, Nastya or Kim win it all :hearts::bounce:

Yeah seriously.

Someone from the bottom half. Someone new and exciting. Not the same old crap.

Greenout
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:51 AM

4R) Sveta
QF) Justine/Venus
SF) Masha/Serena/Lena

on the other extreme, #7 seed Patty's draw has no dangerous floaters in the early rounds, then Myskina in 4R who won't make it there, then Momo in QF.

If Kim isn't healthy, then the bottom half collapses entirely and leaves only Patty, Momo, and Pierce.

At first it looked like more silly hype, but then it's a Vogus post, so i actually paid attention to read this. :p

You are right- for a #1 seed this isn't a breeze. The usual #1 seed draw is nothing until the SF. All Q's and WC's or pushovers. 5 Grand slam winners in one half is a bit much!

switz
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:52 AM
It's a good draw for Patty because there is nobody she can't or hasn't beaten in her path to the semis, in fact final. Kim will never beat a healthy Kim these days but unhealthy one, well see Berlin 2005.

I wouldn't say she has no dangerous floaters - i seem to remember Daniilidou beating someone of note in the first round of Wimbledon. She dusted Shinubo at the US Open but prior to that she gave Patty nightmares.

I wouldn't write Myskina of at all either. Even in her terrible form last year she made the 4th round of the Aus Open.

Ermintrude
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:52 AM
I agree. Patty's draw is far from easy. In fact, there's tricky match-ups for most of the players. The big names might be in the top half, but how fit are the likes of Maria, Serena and Venus?

I'm happy with Mary's draw, but she has a possible Hingis-Ivanovic-Kim run to the semis. Not that easy either when you look at it.

UDACHi
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Yeah seriously.

Someone from the bottom half. Someone new and exciting. Not the same old crap.

Dementieva's on the top half. :cool:

Lapin
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:55 AM
i seem to remember Daniilidou beating someone of note in the first round of Wimbledon.

Yes, Justine! I've heard Eleni quite enjoys the challenge of the seeded players!

switz
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Actually Patty doesn't have an easy draw.

1st Danillidou
2nd Peer
3rd Dulko
4th Myskina
QF Mauresmo
SF Kim
F Doesn't Matter

Patty will be lucky to make 4th round, if that's what you mean by lucky draw.

I wouldn't say she'll be "lucky" to beat Eleni, more likely Shinubo IMO, and Gisela in pretty ordinary form. Patty eat players like these for breakfast last year and let's not overlook the fact that she's been to the 4th round or better 6 times

No Name Face
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:59 AM

i like the way you think ;)

lenaD vs. mauresmo final with elena winning 6-4, 4-6, 8-6 :)

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:00 AM

4R) Sveta
QF) Justine/Venus
SF) Masha/Serena/Lena

Actually I don't see anything wrong with Lindsay's draw.
Kuznetsova hasn't proven herself against the top players in over a year.
After that, Lindsay get to pick the other players off after their likely marathon matches with one another.

*JR*
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:00 AM
on the other extreme, #7 seed Patty's draw has no dangerous floaters in the early rounds, then Myskina in 4R who won't make it there....

If the Contessa doesn't, then Sister Safina will (2-0 h2h vs. Hofmann's Handmaiden). And though the Strange Susissie is 3-1 vs. this Lena (its not Leni, BTW) they haven't met since Zurich '03. PP lost a good coach early that year, while Lena got a new one (fairly recently, I think). They (and Myskina) are all coached by Germans, if Convicted Criminal "Coaches" Count. :p

Greenout
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Actually, Vogus- Patty's draw isn't easy. She has a history of losing to people I think are roll-overs. Sydney looked easy, and she lost.

The most interesting draw for the first week actually belongs to Martina. I watched her Justine match, and she was pretty good. She lost because Justine's a freak, and not the typical tour player. Some of those rallies would've been winners against 85% of the tour.

groenefeldeffect
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:05 AM
and Gisela in pretty ordinary form.

Anna-Lena 6-1 6-0 at Hopman?

That was pretty ordinary.

hablo
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:06 AM

Mauresmo vs lenaD final with Momo winning 6-4, 4-6, 8-6 :)
:D:D:D:hearts::drool:

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Actually, Vogus- Patty's draw isn't easy. She has a history of losing to people I think are roll-overs. Sydney looked easy, and she lost.

The most interesting draw for the first week actually belongs to Martina. I watched her Justine match, and she was pretty good. She lost because Justine's a freak, and not the typical tour player. Some of those rallies would've been winners against 85% of the tour.

I agree. Martina could have an interesting 1st week. The variety in her game could give anyone in her quarter a problem.

Derek.
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:32 AM

lenaD vs. mauresmo final with elena winning 6-4, 4-6, 8-6 :)

With both squandering 18 match points each. :o

hingis-seles
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:45 AM

Lena D is another favourite of mine. Hope she comes through from the top half. :bounce:

fammmmedspin
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:54 AM

4R) Sveta
QF) Justine/Venus
SF) Masha/Serena/Lena

A strange view. Sveta is showing some signs of improvement but is still losing. venus still shows no sign of playing well. Serena is even worse. Maria has a major injury. That just leaves Justine who would be a problem for anyone.

Myskina and Momo on form would both probably defeat Patty and Patty is still in a lull after getting tired towards the end of last year. myskina is an unknown and momo is more likely to perform than either sister.

Basically most of these unbalanced draw arguments come down to where Justine is because she is a top 4 player on form (surprisingly given last year) and ranked below her ability to win.

switz
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Anna-Lena 6-1 6-0 at Hopman?

That was pretty ordinary.

yes and nobody has beaten Anna-Lena this year. Notice the fact that she was serving without moving?

Gisela has looked decidedly ordinary in her three other matches this year.

manu
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:58 AM
I think it might be a good idea to just wait and see how the draw shapes up. I remember that people - including me ;) - were saying the same about the Wimbledon draw (with Mary, Justine, Venus and Serena in the same quarter I believe), and eventually, only 2 of those met and had a rather lopsided match (apart from that 2nd set of course, which was truely amazing and one of the best I saw in 2005!). Maybe things will turn out a little differently, so let's just wait a little, though I agree that at this point, the draw looks mightily unbalanced.

iPatty
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:03 AM
:tape: How on earth can you say that Patty has an easy draw...

1R: Daniilidou: Eleni is a Giant Killer. She has plenty of potential and could take down Patty if Patty is having an off-day (which has been pretty much every day this year).

2R: Asagoe/Peer: Asagoe was a nemesis of Patty before Patty beat her handily at the U.S. Open in '05. But Shino stretched Svetlana to three sets in Sydney so I think she will give Patty a tough match. Peer wouldn't be tough because she plays like Patty, but only worse :o

3R: Dulko/Ani: While I don't see either of them really troubling Patty, Gisela could pose a threat if she can play like she did against Anna-Lena at Hopman Cup. But last week in Sydney, she had to retire againt Makiri so her health is in doubt.

4R: Myskina/Safina: Safina definitely has the game to trouble Patty. She's a hard hitter (aka Lucie Safarova, Daniela Hantuchova) and she was blazing until the Gold Coast Seimfinals where she burned out against Lucie. She also had to retire last week, so she might not be as fresh as she would like. Not to sure about Nastya yet, because she hasn't played yet this year.

QF: Mauresmo: Enough said.

SzavayFi
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Daniela's draw :tape:
1R: OBATA
2R: RANDRIANTEFY
3R: SERENA WILLIAMS
4R: ELENA DEMENTIEVA
QUARTERFINALS:MARIA SHARAPOVA
SEMIFINALS: LINDSAY DAVENPORT
FINALS: KIM CLIJSTERS

(not saying she'll get that far or anything but thats a TOUGH draw :help: )

10nisfanofruz
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:14 AM
I agree that Lindsay has tough draw. She has to beat good players to be in final. :eek: <4R) Sveta-QF) Justine/Venus-SF) Masha/Serena/Lena> However, if she is in great form, it's tough to beat her too. ;)

franny
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:15 AM
I think Maria has a pretty tough draw. She has Peng, Serena, Petrova, Venus/Justine/Lindsay. She's basically lost to all those players recently, and she's injured. Basically, I think all of them have tough draws. The top half is just so freaking crazy!

Wannabeknowitall
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:16 AM

Welcome to the sucky world of the 17th seed?
One seed higher and her draw might not be that bad.
Maybe next slam though.

Derek.
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:20 AM

It's 4R: Sharapova .. QF: Dementieva.

vogus
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:04 AM
:tape: How on earth can you say that Patty has an easy draw...

1R: Daniilidou: Eleni is a Giant Killer. She has plenty of potential and could take down Patty if Patty is having an off-day (which has been pretty much every day this year).

2R: Asagoe/Peer: Asagoe was a nemesis of Patty before Patty beat her handily at the U.S. Open in '05. But Shino stretched Svetlana to three sets in Sydney so I think she will give Patty a tough match. Peer wouldn't be tough because she plays like Patty, but only worse :o

if you take away that one bizarre win at Wimby (who knows what was going with JHH that day), Danilidou would be ranked 130th now and she has played consistently awful tennis for two full years. I think it's a pretty safe draw for Patty especially on a slow court.

With Asagoe i think Patty is so pissed about those two losses that she could play Asagoe 20 more times without losing to her again. Patty brutalized Shino at the USO and i expect more of the same if they meet here.

In the section with Dulko there just aren't any dangerous players there. Gisela is ok but Patty would have to have a bad day to lose that one on Rebound Ace.

Safina *could* be trouble for Patty but i think the 0-2 H2H could work in Patty's favor. Unbalanced H2Hs always tend to even out sooner or later.

Andy T
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:19 AM
With Kim injured, Mauresmo will never have a better chance of making it to a GS final; God is a French lesbian today.

vogus
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:22 AM
With Kim injured, Mauresmo will never have a better chance of making it to a GS final; God is a French lesbian today.

Mauresmo's early draw is ominous though; Mirza in R32 and Vaidosova in R16.

Barlos
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:35 AM
It's an interesting draw and very tough to predict. There are a couple of good first round matches too:

Hingis v Zvonareva
Serena v Na Li

I'm sure Martina will come through (3rd round against Pierce would be an amazing match). I hope Serena is in good shape, an exciting 3rd round for her against Daniella if they both make it through.

selking
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:37 AM
i dont think linds will have a problem with anyone besides clijsters

vogus
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:48 AM
i dont think linds will have a problem with anyone besides clijsters

in other words, you think Linds will spank, in order, Kuzzy, Venus/JHH, and Sharapova? :eek:

Jakeev
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:17 AM
yup, this is bad.... i'm pumped to pray even more for a player from the tophalf to win the tournament.

Lindsay can handle it.......

dinhd82
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Don't forget Hingis, she will float her way to the crown!! Well I'm praying and hoping! :)

Darop.
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Schnyder either has to play Peer or Asagoe in the second round...they don't count as dangerous floaters??? What???

Of course they don't.

Not against Patty at least.

Asagoe is on a 4 match losing streak and lost to Patty 1 and 3 at the US Open.

Peer had a good result this week but she won't trouble Patty.

Lindsayfan32
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:44 AM
One thing going for Lindsay with this draw. She's rested and should get through her first three if not four matches pretty quickly. If sprem wins her 1st round I still feel confident Lindsay will beat pretty handly and the fourth round the same and if Justine get there it will be great match if they are both in form. If Lindsay get to her peak she will be tough to beat.

Tennisation
Jan 13th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Here's how it works for Linds:

She won't have any problem including Sveta, Sveta's been playing like crap, then in the quarters, she has an advantage. Justine/Venus will probably go 3 sets and energy drain each other no matter who wins. Lindsay is still fresh and will probably trounce either one of them. Then she runs into real problem in the semis against Sharapova. She beat her 6-0 6-0 last year, but after that, she lost to her at the year end championship. Lindsay doesn't do well against Maria in 3 setters. I put Maria in the semis over Serena, I just don't see Serena getting past Maria. Even if Maria is playing through pain, she's in much better shape than Serena.

Not a lot of talk about Mary Pierce's easy draw, she really could win this whole thing. Hingis will not be a threat in the 3rd round, trust me, as much as u guys think Hingis will give her trouble and create all the hype around it, Hingis won't even take a set from Mary. Mary vs Kim in the semis will be interesting. Mary can beat an injured Kim.

pav
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Here's how it works for Linds:

Not a lot of talk about Mary Pierce's easy draw, she really could win this whole thing. Hingis will not be a threat in the 3rd round, trust me, as much as u guys think Hingis will give her trouble and create all the hype around it, Hingis won't even take a set from Mary.

There is a good chance Hingis wont get to play Mary

switz
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Yep Mary has a great draw but i guess as her fans we're a bit nervous after last year's debacle. obviously she has proved a lot since then but i don't want to get ahead of myself,

vertigo
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Her draw is fairly tough in the early rounds. Nonetheless, compared to the top half its a good draw - particularly as she has so recently beaten Mary and Kim. :)

This is a fun draw.

Sam L
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:09 AM

4R) Sveta
QF) Justine/Venus
SF) Masha/Serena/Lena

And if Pierce is off. Well could be a dream run for Hingis to the finals.

dinhd82
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:22 AM
For some reason, I think Hingis will stun Pierce. I have this feeling. That is of course she makes it that far. :)

John.
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Lindsay at Wimbledon last year beat Clijsters, Kuzzy and Momo, and had MP against Venus.

She can do the same here. I really think Lindsay can win the whole thing.

_LuCaS_
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Patty has a tricky draw. IF Nastya gets to 4th round there's no way Schynder prevails. Then again maybe she doesn't...

Jenny.C.Fan
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:34 AM
patty does have a very good draw :)

LefandePatty
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:50 PM
hey come on! when I saw Patty's draw I was sooo happy! she has an AWESOME draw!!!

1st round against Daniilidou : if Patty had to play her at wimbly, that could be dangerous. But on a so slow surface like this one in Australia, Patty won't have any problem to defeat Eleni, I predict Patty 6-3, 6-2.

2nd round against Peer/Asagoe : if Patty is fit again or at least hasn't an off-day, she should win this one in two, something like 6-4, 6-3.

3rd round against probably Dulko. Patty destroyed her in Zurich last year, and how crap Patty played this day!! she will destroy her again, 6-1, 6-2.

4th round against Myskina : that wouldn't be that easy, but I see Patty winning this match in two sets, 6-3, 7-5.

QF against Amelie : Interesting one. Patty loves playing when it's hot, then I think she can beat Momo in 3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4

SF against Kimmy : A remake of 2003. Kim seems to be a bit injured, also Patty has her chance, if she uses a lot of the angles and so. And remember, Patty was close to win a set against Kim 2 years ago, here. Patty 5-7 6-4 6-3.

F against Lindsay : Patty will take her revenge of Zurich last year. Patty has a nice shot to beat her, and more if it's really hot this day. And don't forget Lindsay 'choked' in GC finals last year against Serena here and against Vee in the US O. Patty winning this one 3-6, 6-2, 7-5.

But well, this scenario will ONLY happen if Patty is fit again. 'Cause of being ill in December, she started to train really late, she lost 2 weeks. That's why she lost against Safarova, then losing to Daniela in 3 sets.

Hopp Patty :rocker2:

griffin
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:36 PM

:confused: Beg to differ, according to "Jesus Has Two Mommies," God is an African-American lesbian.

;)

Seriously, I'm not complaining about her draw. Then again, the draw usually isn't her biggest problem.

Andy T
Jan 13th, 2006, 04:33 PM
:confused: Beg to differ, according to "Jesus Has Two Mommies," God is an African-American lesbian.

;)

Seriously, I'm not complaining about her draw. Then again, the draw usually isn't her biggest problem.

:lol: Maybe she's an African-American lesbian with a preference for French women then!

Vaidisova is the one who may cause pbs - I don't think Mirza's game lives up to her name quite yet (but I reckon it could fairly soon). Still, I'm sure Amélie would take Vaidisova over a couple of the alternatives in the 13-16 bracket.

selking
Jan 14th, 2006, 08:01 PM
in other words, you think Linds will spank, in order, Kuzzy, Venus/JHH, and Sharapova? :eek:

not spank but beat, yes

dav abu
Jan 14th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Lindsay won't spank any of those players and I would be thrilled if she could overcome Henin-Hardenne/Venus but it will be very close.

Derek.
Jan 14th, 2006, 08:13 PM
hey come on! when I saw Patty's draw I was sooo happy! she has an AWESOME draw!!!

1st round against Daniilidou : if Patty had to play her at wimbly, that could be dangerous. But on a so slow surface like this one in Australia, Patty won't have any problem to defeat Eleni, I predict Patty 6-3, 6-2.

2nd round against Peer/Asagoe : if Patty is fit again or at least hasn't an off-day, she should win this one in two, something like 6-4, 6-3.

3rd round against probably Dulko. Patty destroyed her in Zurich last year, and how crap Patty played this day!! she will destroy her again, 6-1, 6-2.

4th round against Myskina : that wouldn't be that easy, but I see Patty winning this match in two sets, 6-3, 7-5.

QF against Amelie : Interesting one. Patty loves playing when it's hot, then I think she can beat Momo in 3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4

SF against Kimmy : A remake of 2003. Kim seems to be a bit injured, also Patty has her chance, if she uses a lot of the angles and so. And remember, Patty was close to win a set against Kim 2 years ago, here. Patty 5-7 6-4 6-3.

F against Lindsay : Patty will take her revenge of Zurich last year. Patty has a nice shot to beat her, and more if it's really hot this day. And don't forget Lindsay 'choked' in GC finals last year against Serena here and against Vee in the US O. Patty winning this one 3-6, 6-2, 7-5.

But well, this scenario will ONLY happen if Patty is fit again. 'Cause of being ill in December, she started to train really late, she lost 2 weeks. That's why she lost against Safarova, then losing to Daniela in 3 sets.

I like Patty, but let's be realistic. :lol:

iPatty
Jan 14th, 2006, 08:34 PM

:worship:

Orion
Jan 14th, 2006, 09:09 PM
She won't have any problem including Sveta, Sveta's been playing like crap, then in the quarters, she has an advantage.

I'd be very careful writing off Kuznetsova's ability to compete. She had an amazing two weeks until she capitulated against Henin, but consider: she played 12 matches over the course of about 9 days. She'll have about a week to recover from that, and she warms up VERY well with doubles. With a fresh start at the Aussie, I don't think anyone relishes playing someone who is comfortable playing 5 hours a day for a week. Her forehand has never looked finer than against Ivanovic, and she has lost once in singles this year. 6-1 record entering the Aussie, that's an impressive run. Plus, she stacks up well against Lindsay well. Neither of them are very patient players, and that probably bodes well for the better mover of the two (Kuznetsova). The only thing that Davenport really has right now is good results against top 10 players this year. I'd give their match a 50/50 spread.

serenafan08
Jan 14th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Lindsay does have a real tough road to the finals. We'll see how she does...

LefandePatty
Jan 14th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I like Patty, but let's be realistic. :lol:

Why? :awww: ;)

LefandePatty
Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:49 AM

Komm jetzt Patty :bounce:

switz
Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
Yep Mary has a great draw but i guess as her fans we're a bit nervous after last year's debacle. obviously she has proved a lot since then but i don't want to get ahead of myself,

:sad:

but it worked out well for Martina i guess :)