PDA

View Full Version : Will we finally get the Venus/Justine match we desire???

cartmancop
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:27 AM
They are drawn to meet in the 4R I believe & from a quick glance @ the draw, it doesn't look like there is ANYBODY who can get in the way barring a catastrophe.... I hope it happens:)

CJ07
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:28 AM
can we talk about this after the third round? let them both step on court first, at least

DragonFlame
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:29 AM
yeah it's time, it's going to happen:scared: :) i'm damn nervous now but i have the feeling this match will take place and nothing can stop it.
come on justine, win this match!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i want this win desperatly :bounce:

venus_rulez
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Justine's 3rd round could be interesting, but really unless she's dying she should be there to meet Venus in the 4th round. A lot has changed for both players since the last time they played which was here in 03. venus won 6-3, 6-3. I just hope that if these two meet, no viruses or injuries lead to the outcome of the match.

Simplicity
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Venus!! :music: :aparty: :inlove: :banana: :rocker: :woohoo: :unsure:

Marshmallow
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:52 AM
I hope Venus wins. I know she can, but she'll have to be 90+%.

However much justine has improved, i think Venus' game can stop her. Venus will have to serve big, and consistently, and be moving well though.

What a mouth watering match.

azinna
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Damn. Their next meeting should have been a semi. Or at least a quarterfinal of a slam.

Nervous.

But confident in a healthy Venus.

Let's do this, V.

No Name Face
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:54 AM
come on vee, i need you to silence zhoosteen :bounce:

-VSR-
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Venus I wish you good luck in your health and fitness, and take it one match at a time!

Haute
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:19 AM
I second that, one match at a time Vee! :)

Cat's Pajamas
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Now isnt Pironkova the girl she beat handily on clay at Istanbul?

-VSR-
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Now isnt Pironkova she beat handily on clay at Istanbul?

Yes 6-1, 6-3 in the Semi-Finals. That was the first thing I looked up their H2H. :lol:

Cat's Pajamas
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:23 AM
She'll frusturate that girl by chasing everything down with winners and i predict a 6-2 6-2 thrashing of some sorts where she works off the rust and other kinks in her game

Mother_Marjorie
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:26 AM
They are drawn to meet in the 4R I believe & from a quick glance @ the draw, it doesn't look like there is ANYBODY who can get in the way barring a catastrophe.... I hope it happens:)

I do too. Justine has already proven that she is playing better right now than when she took her recent hiatus last year. Venus is injury-free and is always a threat at the majors.

I give the edge to Justine, because she is a past champion and I don't think Venus prepared well for the tournament.

Marshmallow
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Venus I wish you good luck in your health and fitness, and take it one match at a time!

good attitude! Good post!

blumaroo
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:37 AM
I just hope that both stay healthy and injuryfree until the fourth round so that none of the fans can say but she was injured/fatigued/not at her best etc afterwards.
This is the best fourth round we have if it actually happens.

Ferosh
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:41 AM
If this match up does happen, I hope Venus plays the way she did against Sharapova @ Wimbledon.

AkademiQ
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:43 AM
If it happens it happens. Venus vs. Justine hasn't been a yearning desire in this fans mind.

Blonde_Ambition7
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:43 AM
I hope they both make it that far and it's a good match.

Volcana
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:13 AM
If it happens it happens. Venus vs. Justine hasn't been a yearning desire in this fans mind.I've been waiting for this match since Henin-Hardenne won her first slam. Of course, Venus is the more recent slam winner, but Henin-Hardenne is an ex-champ here. Since both are coming off year's when they won a slam, and were injured a lot, I figure they're more or less equally close to optimal.

My money's on Venus, of course. The head-to-head is compelling. Styles make fights, as the saying goes, and this matchup of styles has always frustrated Henin-Hardenne.

TF Chipmunk
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:15 AM
If it happens it happens. Venus vs. Justine hasn't been a yearning desire in this fans mind.
:devil: :p

AkademiQ
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:17 AM
My money's on Venus, of course. The head-to-head is compelling. Styles make fights, as the saying goes, and this matchup of styles has always frustrated Henin-Hardenne.

My money is always on Venus. Justine just never enters my mind for as a specific opponent. I view her like any other and that's just the person across the net I want Venus to handle. If it happens, I hope Venus takes care of business quickly and in style. Serena aside, I would love for Venus to add this piece to her grand slam puzzle.

cartmancop
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:21 AM

I agree. Venus just seems to match up well against Justine. They've had some good matches though, but JHH has come a very long way since there last match. Venus leads the series 7-1, with JHH's win coming @ the Berlin Open in 2001. They haven't played since AO '03 where Vee won 6/3 6/3...I am looking forward to this and the Maria/Serena match...hopefully both will happen.

eugreene2
Like someone so beautifully posted, one match at a time & best of health to both of them.

Junex
Justine all the way!!!!!

K-Dog
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:22 AM
It will be a tough match, but if Venus is focused and ready, she's got it. I don't care how well Justine is playing. If she is playing well, she'll make it more competitive, but Venus at her 90% will beat her in two sets. Boy Venus is really going to be proving people wrong at this event because she'll prob have to beat H-H, Linds, Maria/Serena, and Kim. It'll only cement the fact that she is the best player in the world barring injury and the 2002 Serena Williams.

Hots4Safin
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:37 AM
this is one match that i don't mind seeing so early. If that's what it takes to see this match finally, so be it. GO VEE

selyoink
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:45 AM
I think we will get the match unless Venus is back to her pre-Wimbledon 05 form. Then we may not.

AkademiQ
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Or Justine could lose in the first round again so yeah, we may not see the match.

Hots4Safin
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Or Justine could lose in the first round again so yeah, we may not see the match.

LMAO :tape:

TomTennis
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:28 AM
I cant wait to, but im not getting that far ahead. Just focusing on one match first, as i know Venus is doing! Go Venus!

Nemesis
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Grrr :mad: Why sooo early :bigcry:

Oh well, the good thing is that it's maybe the best chance to see a match between them. The other times there were OR surprises (Mary def. Venus at the Olympics for example) OR injuries. I'm not ruling out that these things can also happen now :unsure:

I think Venus is the only player that has some kind of clear recipe of beating Justine. Is it the breaking down of the backhand or her stoic attitude, something Justine doesn't like, she likes to read what's going on in someone's mind? I don't know. But I'll be happy for either one. I just hope the winner won't mess it up against Lindsay, so I got none of my 2 favs left in the draw :(

Nicjac
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Yeah right. As she is playing a tier 2 final right this minute : :cool:

K-Dog
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah right. As she is playing a tier 2 final right this minute : :cool:

And down a set to Schiavone at this moment!!

Nicjac
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:41 AM
And down a set to Schiavone at this moment!!

But loads of match practice ;)

K-Dog
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I hate to be a prick, but it is now 6-4 4-1 Franny. That Italian fan in the crowd is freaking me out!! TOO INTENSE FOR WOMEN'S TENNIS BUDDY!!

*update*: FRANNY IS CHOKING!!

Nicjac
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:50 AM
I hate to be a prick, but it is now 6-4 4-1 Franny. That Italian fan in the crowd is freaking me out!! TOO INTENSE FOR WOMEN'S TENNIS BUDDY!!

*update*: FRANNY IS CHOKING!!

Oops, Justine won :D ;)

But great performance from Frannie, she'll be interesting to watch in 2006 as she was in 2005.

turt
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Well, I think it's an interesting match-up! I don't think we can draw conclusions from h2h, because in january 2003 (three years ago!!! :eek: ), Justine was still the "little girl that couldn't compete with the big babes" and Venus & Serena were definitely the "untouchable players".

Then Justine started training with Pat Etcheberry, and her game changed alot, she became more powerful. It helped her not being afraid of the other top players, and she's now a 4 times grand slam champion, as well as olympic champion.

Of course when healthy, Venus is still one of the best contenders on the WTA, but Justine is too!

So I will give a slight edge to Justine if they meet, and definitely a close match :)

new-york
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I just hope the match will happen, i'm so curious to see how they'll react, facin eachother after all that time.
Go venus. Good luck Justine.

vwfan
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:17 PM
If it happens it happens. Venus vs. Justine hasn't been a yearning desire in this fans mind. :confused: so why are you in this thread. tired of talking about Serena's weight??!!!
:wavey:

vwfan
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:22 PM
It will be a tough match, but if Venus is focused and ready, she's got it. I don't care how well Justine is playing. If she is playing well, she'll make it more competitive, but Venus at her 90% will beat her in two sets. Boy Venus is really going to be proving people wrong at this event because she'll prob have to beat H-H, Linds, Maria/Serena, and Kim. It'll only cement the fact that she is the best player in the world barring injury and the 2002 Serena Williams.yeah! what a draw. She will probably have to take out four Grand Slam Champions in a row to hoist the trophy and looking at Wimbledon, if improves with each round, each opponent gives her an additional level of difficulty:
Justine she owns, but can't be taken for granted and will fight hard
Linds and she will be more closely matched on hardcourts, but Venus should get past,
Serena always presents drama and she rarely plays well even if she wins
Kim will frustrate her by running everything down and "playing badly" :lol: in the process.
A lot to go through, but she can do it.

améliemomo
Jan 13th, 2006, 08:55 PM
justine will win this great match.

She played very well at sydney and let me a very good impression about her health and physical conditions.

Zauber
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:26 PM
If they are as good as we all think they are they should definitely meet in the fourth round.
One of the great heavy weight match ups this tournament may provide.
Please no excuses.
The winner is the winner period.

vwfan
Jan 15th, 2006, 10:50 PM
If they are as good as we all think they are they should definitely meet in the fourth round.
One of the great heavy weight match ups this tournament may provide.
Please no excuses.
The winner is the winner period.yeah, sure. as long as Justine doesn't resort to "the hand" or her second favorite tactic: injury timeout. That's certainly what helped her when she was losing to Davenport here in the SF and to Capriati in the SF at the U.S. Open.

That mental gamesmanship doesn't work with Venus. When Davenport left Wimbledon claiming a back injury Venus starting serving into her body to test her out! :devil:

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 15th, 2006, 11:06 PM
venus, if met, will take her down in two sets without a doubt.

DragonFlame
Jan 16th, 2006, 12:04 AM

now will you be bitchslapped if she loses :devil:

Justin
Jan 16th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Guess not.

WF4EVER
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:01 PM
This will become like waiting for a next Vee-Jen match.

new-york
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:09 PM
This will become like waiting for a next Vee-Jen match.

let's have a tea, we have time......

fOxYLiCiOuS
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Hmmmm not so lucky this time! :hug:

faste5683
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:27 PM

:haha:

new-york
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:30 PM
:haha:

Them meeting would have mean Venus in a really better form considering it was 4th round.

kosmikgroove
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:38 PM
yeah, sure. as long as Justine doesn't resort to "the hand" or her second favorite tactic: injury timeout. That's certainly what helped her when she was losing to Davenport here in the SF and to Capriati in the SF at the U.S. Open.

That mental gamesmanship doesn't work with Venus. When Davenport left Wimbledon claiming a back injury Venus starting serving into her body to test her out! :devil:

uhh, Justine did not use her 'hand' or an injury timeout during her SF match against Capriati.

her leg cramped on her serve, but opted out of the injury timeout because it seemed to only affect her serve (it was her push off leg). movement otherwise was ok.

goldenboi356
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:38 PM
i was actually cheering for ve when it was 7 all last night cause i really want to see ve and ju meet where ju can perhaps improve on their h2h... so i'm guessing ve and ju aren't destined to play each other anymore :( cause things happen before they meet, like injury where one of them plays and the other don't or either one looses earlier than expected..i think they were supposed to meet at wimb last year too (correct me if i'm wrong)